Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 01:18:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 365114 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: April 24, 2020, 10:42:42 AM »

Pressure has been growing on Mr. Biden to choose a black woman to inspire black turnout this fall and not take it for granted. The Rev. Al Sharpton, for instance, who speaks to Mr. Biden regularly, is to announce his support for Ms. Abrams as vice president as soon as next week, according to those familiar with his plans.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi has encouraged allies to float names of House members like Representatives Val Demings of Florida and Marcia Fudge of Ohio, according to people familiar with those conversations, in part to reward members of her caucus with a higher profile.

Several leaders in the Congressional Black Caucus, an organization steeped in tradition, have preferred Ms. Harris, who is a member.

A recent comment from Mr. Clyburn publicly undercut Ms. Abrams in favor of Ms. Bottoms. Mr. Clyburn, who declined an interview request for this article, said Ms. Abrams lacked sufficient experience.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/politics/joe-biden-vice-president-black-candidates.html
Who would be "inspired" to turn out because of Marcia Fudge? LOL, c'mon Nancy.

Also, Stacey Abrams just doesn't have enough experience to be VP.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #876 on: April 24, 2020, 11:19:13 AM »

Are there people in Florida who would vote for a Biden/Demings ticket who wouldn't otherwise vote for Biden? Is she super popular in Orlando?

I can see how being a police chief might appeal to suburban moderates, but will it flip voters? Does she also turn out black voters?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #877 on: April 24, 2020, 11:30:14 AM »

Sixty-seven percent of registered Latino voters would be more likely to support him if he picks Cortez Masto for the number two slot; 22% would be less likely to support him. Asked another way, 72% said they would be more likely to turn out and actually vote for Biden if he selected the Nevada senator; 17% would be less likely to do so.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-biden-poll-latino-voters/
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #878 on: April 24, 2020, 11:31:12 AM »

It's just one poll but Data for Progress is out with new VP data that shows Warren would be the strongest choice for Sander's supporters, voters under 45, and black voters. This is likely at least partially due to name rec but still...

Pulaski

« Reply #879 on: April 24, 2020, 12:06:31 PM »

A recent comment from Mr. Clyburn publicly undercut Ms. Abrams in favor of Ms. Bottoms. Mr. Clyburn, who declined an interview request for this article, said Ms. Abrams lacked sufficient experience.

But Lance Bottoms, with 2 years as mayor of Atlanta, has sufficient experience?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #880 on: April 24, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »

But Lance Bottoms, with 2 years as mayor of Atlanta, has sufficient experience?

I guess it does give her a bit more executive experience than Abrams, running the largest city in Georgia.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #881 on: April 24, 2020, 01:10:18 PM »

More people hyping up Abrams for some reason...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #882 on: April 24, 2020, 01:13:39 PM »

Sixty-seven percent of registered Latino voters would be more likely to support him if he picks Cortez Masto for the number two slot; 22% would be less likely to support him. Asked another way, 72% said they would be more likely to turn out and actually vote for Biden if he selected the Nevada senator; 17% would be less likely to do so.

CCM is the candidate with least downsides, but a lot of pros: Critical demographic, age, senate control, experience, baggage or lack there of.

Abrams is not vice presidential material.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #883 on: April 24, 2020, 01:40:42 PM »

CCM is the candidate with least downsides, but a lot of pros: Critical demographic, age, senate control, experience, baggage or lack there of.

Yeah, I’m shifting more in favor of CCM as VEEP. The pros outweigh the cons by a lot with her.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #884 on: April 24, 2020, 01:44:27 PM »

Yeah, I’m shifting more in favor of CCM as VEEP. The pros outweigh the cons by a lot with her.
Same for me with Duckworth, as much as I love her. We NEED to do better with Hispanics, which this would allow. Nickname change incoming...
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #885 on: April 24, 2020, 01:52:37 PM »

I'm very much on the #WarrenforVP train but I think Harris is the best fit for a black woman as VP--plus she's a familiar name for most Americans so she won't have to go through the trouble that Abrams/Lance Bottoms would have to and introduce herself to the country. Abrams is more well-known among the electorate, but how many non-political nerds know about the runner up in the 2018 Georgia Gubernatorial race? Not many.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #886 on: April 24, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »

Whatever happened to your love affair with Kamala?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #887 on: April 24, 2020, 02:18:47 PM »

What demographic would that be??
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #888 on: April 24, 2020, 02:22:24 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2020, 11:22:55 PM by Make PA Blue Again! »

Whatever happened to your love affair with Kamala?

I still love her and think she'd make an excellent Vice President, but we really need to lock down the latino vote. Kamala is like #2 on my list.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #889 on: April 24, 2020, 03:12:32 PM »

More people hyping up Abrams for some reason...

I mean, Sharpton is a race-baiting, anti-Semitic grifter, so being supported by him should really be a strike against Abrams if anything.  Also, I refuse to believe Pelosi is dumb enough to push Fudge for VP.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #890 on: April 24, 2020, 04:26:46 PM »

Wasn't Fudge threatening to challenge Pelosi for the speakership in 2019? I doubt Nancy would want her to be VP... unless she thinks she poses a serious threat in the future and wants to eliminate her.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #891 on: April 24, 2020, 04:43:17 PM »

Stacey said f-ck what y’all have to say. She’s going to continue to lobby all she wants. Lol.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #892 on: April 24, 2020, 05:59:26 PM »

Wasn't Fudge threatening to challenge Pelosi for the speakership in 2019? I doubt Nancy would want her to be VP... unless she thinks she poses a serious threat in the future and wants to eliminate her.

Fudge did but she ultimately endorsed Pelosi after Pelosi named her as chairwoman of a House Administration Subcommittee.  Also, Pelosi agreed to step down as speaker at the end of 2022 so she has no reason to worry about a future challenge.

To me this looks like Pelosi flattering an influential member of her caucus.  Surely she does not believe Fudge has a serious chance of being the running mate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #893 on: April 24, 2020, 06:01:20 PM »

Per the Atlantic, Abrams is not being seriously considered for VP.

https://politicalwire.com/2020/04/24/stacy-abrams-not-a-likely-pick-for-biden/
woodley park

« Reply #894 on: April 24, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »

I still love her and think she'd make an excellent Vice President, but I feel that CCM is a safer choice. Kamala is like #2 on my list.

Is this the time to play it safe though? Does CCM excite... anyone? She strikes me as a VP choice that makes sense on paper, but could land with a thud.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #895 on: April 24, 2020, 06:10:11 PM »

No surprise.  I wonder what Biden's inner circle thinks about her nonstop campaign for VP.  lol.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #896 on: April 24, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »

Good. Why in the word would anyone pass up CCM, Warren, Harris, and Duckworth for someone who has held office no higher than state legislature?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #897 on: April 24, 2020, 06:15:13 PM »

I still love her and think she'd make an excellent Vice President, but I feel that CCM is a safer choice. Kamala is like #2 on my list.

Is this the time to play it safe though? Does CCM excite... anyone? She strikes me as a VP choice that makes sense on paper, but could land with a thud.
It is not the VP nominee's job to excite people.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #898 on: April 24, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »

Didn’t say that.

With Biden’s age, he’s likely picking his successor. I was saying she’s not qualified.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #899 on: April 24, 2020, 06:17:41 PM »

Didn’t say that.

With Biden’s age, he’s likely picking his successor. I was saying she’s not qualified.
I was replying to woodley park, not you. I agree with you in that Biden is likely picking his successor, whether in 2024 or (more likely) 2028.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies