Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:47:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362710 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 10, 2020, 12:31:45 PM »

The thing about Biden's VP is that I consider there to be close to a 50% chance said VP assumes executive power during his hypothetical presidency. Biden's age is going to come in hard against him when he takes on the most stressful job in the nation. The list of potentials are numerous: death, resignation because of incapability, a figurehead govt with empowered cabinet portfolios, or he may resign to give the VP incumbency going into 2024. This makes VP selection all the more important since democrats are actually going to need to visualize said person taking the oath of office. Outside picks therefore are even more risky than ever, and selecting a governor with executive experience may not be the worst decision.

See this is it. When choosing his VP Biden carefully needs to consider who’s prepared to carry out the presidency and lead the party should he leave for any reason more so than appealing to “x” demographic, especially when there are little to no evidence that bringing in specific candidates can ramp up turnout among respective groups (Harris, CCM, Warren, Klobuchar, etc.).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #451 on: April 10, 2020, 12:33:00 PM »

It's Klobuchar
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #452 on: April 10, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »

Politico with a piece pitching Whitmer.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/09/gretchen-whitmer-governor-michigan-profile-2020-coronavirus-biden-vp-177791
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #453 on: April 10, 2020, 05:07:18 PM »

She may not end up being Biden's VP, but she's certainly presidential material some day.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #454 on: April 10, 2020, 05:16:28 PM »

She is on a good start but let's wait. Jennifer Granholm was considered presidential material back in the day.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #455 on: April 10, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »

Whitmer said she wants to stay as Gov, its Warren or Klobuchar
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #456 on: April 10, 2020, 05:32:58 PM »

She is on a good start but let's wait. Jennifer Granholm was considered presidential material back in the day.

Not by anyone who understands the U.S. Constitution.  Granholm is not a natural-born citizen.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #457 on: April 10, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »

Not by anyone who understand the U.S. Constitution.  Granholm is not a natural-born citizen.

You'd be surprised how many political journalists didn't know that.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #458 on: April 10, 2020, 05:44:55 PM »

When Whitmer first burst on the scene my first thought was that she reminded me of former Gov. Jennifer Granholm (except Whitmer is constitutionally eligible to run for president).  The Michigan GOP tried to tar her as Granholm 2.0.  Whitmer won, so it seems voters either were fine with the comparison or did not agree with it.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #459 on: April 10, 2020, 06:26:43 PM »

Has there been anything to suggest that Biden is considering Katie Porter for VP? Not only would I consider her qualified and competent, with a pretty good story to tell as a single mom.

Also could be a nice bridge between progressives and resistance moms.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #460 on: April 10, 2020, 06:37:29 PM »

Has there been anything to suggest that Biden is considering Katie Porter for VP? Not only would I consider her qualified and competent, with a pretty good story to tell as a single mom.

I've seen Porter mentioned as a possibility by a few people, notably Bill Kristol (although he's not someone who would be expected to know what Biden is thinking; he's just speculating).  IMO Porter is a very impressive representative and someone with a great future in politics.  But I don't think she meets the criterion of someone with enough experience in government to step in and assume the Presidency if something happened to Biden.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #461 on: April 10, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »

I've seen Porter mentioned as a possibility by a few people, notably Bill Kristol (although he's not someone who would be expected to know what Biden is thinking; he's just speculating).  IMO Porter is a very impressive representative and someone with a great future in politics.  But I don't think she meets the criterion of someone with enough experience in government to step in and assume the Presidency if something happened to Biden.

Porter has a very bright future in the Democratic Party, just not on a national ticket (yet). I could definitely see her as a future California Senator, though she will have some stiff competition considering how many rising stars are in that state.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #462 on: April 10, 2020, 07:16:30 PM »

Porter has a very bright future in the Democratic Party, just not on a national ticket (yet). I could definitely see her as a future California Senator, though she will have some stiff competition considering how many rising stars are in that state.

Fingers crossed we get VP Harris so that Newsom appoints Porter to the seat.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #463 on: April 10, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »

Yuck

There are far more qualify person that a freshmen who was barely elected a year ago.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #464 on: April 10, 2020, 07:38:15 PM »

Its gonna be Klobuchar and most people know it, Harris dont want to travel abroad
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #465 on: April 10, 2020, 07:45:51 PM »

Yuck

There are far more qualify person that a freshmen who was barely elected a year ago.

By that logic, Elizabeth Warren (whom Porter is basically a '2.0' version of) wasn't qualified to be a Senator because she never even served in the House.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #466 on: April 10, 2020, 09:52:25 PM »

Klobuchar has been making the case for mail ballots, she is obviously one of the three contenders to make the Veepstakes and CCM declined and Harris isnt running. Warren is the runner up. In June, Klobuchar will be named Veep nominee
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #467 on: April 10, 2020, 11:43:41 PM »

I freely admit I might be getting charmed by her and it could just be that she is Warren 2.0. I do think she has a good case to make. I personally think the whole idea of large amounts of government experience as being necessary to being VP as being silly but yeah it’s definitely something someone like Biden would probably prefer (even though his old boss didn’t have much).
538Electoral

« Reply #468 on: April 10, 2020, 11:44:44 PM »

Eh, I don't think the VP pick will have much of an impact.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #469 on: April 10, 2020, 11:58:50 PM »

Klobuchar has been making the case for mail ballots, she is obviously one of the three contenders to make the Veepstakes and CCM declined and Harris isnt running. Warren is the runner up. In June, Klobuchar will be named Veep nominee
Nobody seriously declined or “isn’t running.” That’s what everyone always says who’s serious, it’s how the game is played. Past presidential campaigns have sometimes said anybody who says yes or outright directly asks for it goes into the automatic rejection list. If somebody outright said “If Biden explicitly offered it to me, I would reject it” only then can their claim be taken seriously. And even then with a grain of salt, since people can be convinced. It wasn’t for VP, but Hillary told Obama no to the offer to be Secretary of State several times before he convinced her.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #470 on: April 11, 2020, 12:23:51 AM »

Nobody seriously declined or “isn’t running.” That’s what everyone always says who’s serious, it’s how the game is played. Past presidential campaigns have sometimes said anybody who says yes or outright directly asks for it goes into the automatic rejection list. If somebody outright said “If Biden explicitly offered it to me, I would reject it” only then can their claim be taken seriously. And even then with a grain of salt, since people can be convinced. It wasn’t for VP, but Hillary told Obama no to the offer to be Secretary of State several times before he convinced her.

Why are you attempting to argue with olawakandi?
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #471 on: April 11, 2020, 03:17:50 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #472 on: April 11, 2020, 03:53:00 AM »

Obviously nothing official yet, but my VP Harris supporting heart is having itself a lil' party rn.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #473 on: April 11, 2020, 06:49:41 AM »

Can't wait for your reaction when he picks Harris
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #474 on: April 11, 2020, 12:12:30 PM »

This thread should be stickied.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length