Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 07:57:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362804 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: April 02, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »

So from what we've heard so far, Abrams isn't under consideration and the shortlist appears to be: Harris, CCM, Klobuchar, Whitmer, and Warren.

There's no evidence to suggest that it's limited to just those five at this point.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #301 on: April 02, 2020, 09:20:46 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2020, 01:14:02 PM by #Bidemings2020 »

So from what we've heard so far, Abrams isn't under consideration and the shortlist appears to be: Harris, CCM, Klobuchar, Whitmer, and Warren.

There's no evidence to suggest that it's limited to just those five at this point.

I'm obviously being speculative.

Besides, I'd be surprised if it was somebody other than these five.  
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #302 on: April 02, 2020, 09:54:22 PM »

What is Whitmer's appeal other than being Governor of a swing state (which Biden is probably going to win anyways)? 

I still think it will be Harris. 
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #303 on: April 02, 2020, 09:58:03 PM »

I hope that it's not Klobuchar. Seems too boring.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #304 on: April 02, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »

What is Whitmer's appeal other than being Governor of a swing state (which Biden is probably going to win anyways)? 

I still think it will be Harris. 

I think Whitmer could really bolster the ticket's appeal to suburban women.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #305 on: April 02, 2020, 10:04:57 PM »

Whitmer has a crisis to deal with. Let her stay in Michigan.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #306 on: April 02, 2020, 10:34:12 PM »

This. Harris and Klobuchar would antagonize the youth and lefty vote.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #307 on: April 03, 2020, 01:19:50 AM »

I'm being speculative.

Besides, I'd be surprised if it was somebody other than these five.  

Duckworth looks too good on paper to be ignored. Biden himself after all wasn't even considered a serious possibility at the beginning of the 2008 veepstakes.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #308 on: April 03, 2020, 10:05:44 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #309 on: April 03, 2020, 10:17:42 PM »

More on this:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2020/04/03/joe-biden-name-vp-vetting-team-thinking-cabinet-makeup/2946459001/

Joe Biden said Friday that he will announce a committee to oversee his vice presidential selection process and is already thinking about whom he’d choose to join his Cabinet.
He did, however, suggest he’s been thinking deeply about the makeup of his potential Cabinet. There are a number of “younger, really qualified people” Biden said he believes could be future leaders of the party if given more prominent roles. He also suggested he’d prioritize diversity in choosing his Cabinet secretaries, and he wants the lineup to “look like the country.”

“Men, women, gay, straight, across the board, black, white, Asian, it really matters that it look like the country because everyone brings a slightly different perspective,” he said.

But in a hint of how deeply he’s considered his options, Biden said: “If the Lord Almighty came down and said, ‘You’re president tomorrow. Write down in the next 15 minutes your Cabinet,’ I think I could do it. ”
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2020, 10:51:18 PM »

I know some Bernie supporters will be mad & spin this as a bad thing, but if nothing else, it's just a stand up thing to speak to Bernie directly & inform him that he feels he has to start vetting.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #311 on: April 04, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »

I see no evidence that CCM and Whitmer wouldn’t. Left Twitter is already attacking Whitmer over her Blue Cross ties... and the youth aren’t showing up no matter what.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #312 on: April 04, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »

I see no evidence that CCM and Whitmer wouldn’t. Left Twitter is already attacking Whitmer over her Blue Cross ties... and the youth aren’t showing up no matter what.

Sanders himself attacked Whitmer as a Blue Cross tool when she was running for governor.
And then he had the nerve to express his displeasure when she returned the favor and endorsed Biden.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #313 on: April 04, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »

Sanders himself attacked Whitmer as a Blue Cross tool when she was running for governor.
And then he had the nerve to express his displeasure when she returned the favor and endorsed Biden.

Exactly. Bernie’s supporters will despise Joe’s pick no matter who it is... including Warren.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #314 on: April 04, 2020, 03:12:15 PM »

Whitmer is asked if she'd accept an offer to be Biden's running mate, and she dodges the question:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/04/gretchen-whitmer-woman-from-michigan-trump/609406/

Dovere: Joe Biden has been talking with a lot of people about what’s going on. One of the things that puts you into the conversation is, of course, you get talked about as a potential running mate for him. He said he’s going to pick a woman. You’re from a swing state. Even aside from that, you’ve generated a lot of national political interest. If he called and asked you to do it, what would your answer be?

Whitmer: Well, I’ll just say this: I am 15 months into my job as governor. I worked for two years to earn the opportunity to have this job. And no one could ever have anticipated that we would be here in this moment. I didn’t go out looking for the national spotlight. I know that the most important thing, where I’m spending all my energy right now, is trying to help my frontline health-care providers and trying to educate Michiganders so that we can slow the spread of COVID-19. I don’t like being attacked in national news. I didn’t go out of my way looking for all of this conversation. I just know that I need assistance and I need to use my voice at every opportunity to try to highlight what’s happening in Michigan so that I can help my nurses and doctors and respiratory therapists who are doing superhero work.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #315 on: April 04, 2020, 09:55:51 PM »

Why has no one mentioned Barbara Mikulski?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #316 on: April 04, 2020, 09:58:09 PM »

You won't find a bigger Mikulski stan than me on this side of the Mississippi, but she is almost his age and has shown little interest in re-entering electoral politics.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #317 on: April 04, 2020, 10:02:50 PM »

Because she is older than George Burns?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #318 on: April 04, 2020, 10:24:40 PM »

Because she isn't going to be his running mate?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #319 on: April 04, 2020, 10:33:52 PM »

You won't find a bigger Mikulski stan than me on this side of the Mississippi, but she is almost his age and has shown little interest in re-entering electoral politics.

Mikulski is actually 5 years older than Biden.  What a random suggestion.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #320 on: April 04, 2020, 10:47:54 PM »

Biden will regret locking himself in to picking a Female running mate.  His decision precludes Sherrod Brown and Cory Booker, both of whom could have helped him significantly.  As could have candidates with real substance such as Jay Inslee and Michael Bennet.

Now he's locked in.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #321 on: April 04, 2020, 11:02:09 PM »

Biden will regret locking himself in to picking a Female running mate.  His decision precludes Sherrod Brown and Cory Booker, both of whom could have helped him significantly.  As could have candidates with real substance such as Jay Inslee and Michael Bennet.

Now he's locked in.

We don't care what Republicans think about our running mate.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #322 on: April 04, 2020, 11:18:15 PM »

Now he's locked in.

I don't care about your not caring.

You don't speak for all Democrats here anyway.  And I'm a Kerry and Obama voter, and a 2 time Bill Clinton voter, who voted a straight ticket for Florida offices in 2018.  So your political acumen can stand a tad of fine tuning.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #323 on: April 04, 2020, 11:38:30 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2020, 02:48:42 AM by Ogre Mage »

Biden will regret locking himself in to picking a Female running mate.  His decision precludes Sherrod Brown and Cory Booker, both of whom could have helped him significantly.  As could have candidates with real substance such as Jay Inslee and Michael Bennet.

Now he's locked in.

I don't care about your not caring.

You don't speak for all Democrats here anyway.  And I'm a Kerry and Obama voter, and a 2 time Bill Clinton voter, who voted a straight ticket for Florida offices in 2018.  So your political acumen can stand a tad of fine tuning.

So you are planning on or seriously considering voting for Biden then?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #324 on: April 05, 2020, 02:41:05 AM »

Now he's locked in.

As it should, as he'd be giving the GOP a free Senate seat were he to pick him.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies