Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:00:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 202 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362631 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4900 on: August 01, 2020, 04:45:21 AM »

Val Demings is still the best and safest choice in the current environment.

She could lead and oversee police and election reforms, by having good contacts in Congress and being a former cop herself - she knows the work and what’s needed.

Harris would probably campaign 4 years to be the first female President and then lose because she didn’t do anything meaningful.

America needs a real worker now. That is Demings.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4901 on: August 01, 2020, 04:50:00 AM »

If he chose Bass, which I doubt, I'd be really disappointed for reasons already stated. Kamala just makes the most sense because she's best qualified and the best ticket balancer. I also find her likeable in most interviews. Maybe a personal taste thing, but we shouldn't underestimate that it also counts how candidates make people feel. She'd do great in a debate against Michael R. Pence.

Among white women, Gretchen Whitmer is the best option. Has executive experience, comes from an important state, is young and likeable as well. I actually think Whitmer would be the most electable for the presidency after Joe Biden.

It's too bad CCM declined, she would have been a great match. Also wish they had looked at Rep. Nanette Barragan, despite her relatively short experience. Hope she gets chosen for Kamala's seat if there is a winning Biden/Harris ticket.
pollvaulter
Rookie

« Reply #4902 on: August 01, 2020, 05:19:04 AM »

Can we all just admit that we dodged a bullet because Biden was really really legitimately going to pick Klobuchar as his VP?

Yeah, even without the protests she would still be pretty bland, boring, and wouldn’t add much to the ticket. The whole “moderate Democrat who appeals to working class white in the midwest” thing is already covered by Biden.

Lol its posts like these that assure me Trump is going to win the Midwest. So many of you are totally ignoring all the writing on the wall, there is really nothing to suggest Biden has won the white working class over in the Midwest. Just because the DC political consulting class think Biden is what these people want doesn't make it true.

GOP has registered far more former Democrats in PA than the reverse since 2016. The only congressional districts the GOP picked up in 2018 were in Western PA & Minnesota.

Here's another, in 34 of 72 counties in Wisconsin, Trump gained more votes in the 2020 GOP primary than the Dems did combined. In Trump's basically uncontested primary in Wisconsin this year he had 630,000 votes, in Obama's uncontested primary in 2012, a state he won by 7%, he got 300,000 votes in his primary.

In 20 counties Trump got more votes in this years uncontested Wis primary than in the 2012 contested GOP primary. Not to mention the Bernie factor, the areas Dems need to drive turnout the most, in the 2 major cities (Madison & Milwaukee) just so happen to be the 2 counties where Bernie saw the highest turnout in the Wis primary.

People vote their own self-interests in the end, and a lot of these states saw significant turnaround after decades in decline. The level of enthusiasm in the Midwest for Trump has people detached from reality. Klobuchar would have been a bet against that trend, and I don't care how many stupid polls the media picks & chooses to publish, this level of overconfidence is guaranteed to backfire on ya'll. Throwing Biden next to Trump to the white working class just reminds Midwest voters just how terrible Obama Admin really was for them.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #4903 on: August 01, 2020, 05:21:36 AM »

Can we all just admit that we dodged a bullet because Biden was really really legitimately going to pick Klobuchar as his VP?

Yeah, even without the protests she would still be pretty bland, boring, and wouldn’t add much to the ticket. The whole “moderate Democrat who appeals to working class white in the midwest” thing is already covered by Biden.

Lol its posts like these that assure me Trump is going to win the Midwest. So many of you are totally ignoring all the writing on the wall, there is really nothing to suggest Biden has won the white working class over in the Midwest. Just because the DC political consulting class think Biden is what these people want doesn't make it true.

GOP has registered far more former Democrats in PA than the reverse since 2016. The only congressional districts the GOP picked up in 2018 were in Western PA & Minnesota.

Here's another, in 34 of 72 counties in Wisconsin, Trump gained more votes in the 2020 GOP primary than the Dems did combined. In Trump's basically uncontested primary in Wisconsin this year he had 630,000 votes, in Obama's uncontested primary in 2012, a state he won by 7%, he got 300,000 votes in his primary.

In 20 counties Trump got more votes in this years uncontested Wis primary than in the 2012 contested GOP primary. Not to mention the Bernie factor, the areas Dems need to drive turnout the most, in the 2 major cities (Madison & Milwaukee) just so happen to be the 2 counties where Bernie saw the highest turnout in the Wis primary.

People vote their own self-interests in the end, and a lot of these states saw significant turnaround after decades in decline. The level of enthusiasm in the Midwest for Trump has people detached from reality. Klobuchar would have been a bet against that trend, and I don't care how many stupid polls the media picks & chooses to publish, this level of overconfidence is guaranteed to backfire on ya'll. Throwing Biden next to Trump to the white working class just reminds Midwest voters just how terrible Obama Admin really was for them.
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/11/21174602/biden-won-working-class-white-voters-primary
...right, no evidence at all
pollvaulter
Rookie

« Reply #4904 on: August 01, 2020, 06:23:14 AM »

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/11/21174602/biden-won-working-class-white-voters-primary

Lol, that's not evidence of anything, just an article putting spin on the Democratic primary results. Biden did well in all the Upper Peninsula counties that Trump will win anyway by 20%-25%+. There are still Dem voters up there, but the point is Trump is running away with the white working class all over the Midwest. Where do you think all those Upper Peninsula voters who bailed on Sanders from 2016-2020 went to?

Hint: they're Trump voters now
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4905 on: August 01, 2020, 06:24:51 AM »

Lol, that's not evidence of anything, just an article putting spin on the Democratic primary results. Biden did well in all the Upper Peninsula counties that Trump will win anyway by 20%-25%+. There are still Dem voters up there, but the point is Trump is running away with the white working class all over the Midwest. Where do you think all those Upper Peninsula voters who bailed on Sanders from 2016-2020 went to?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/pennsylvania/
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4906 on: August 01, 2020, 07:34:48 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 07:39:43 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Even if the Democrats are underestimating Trump's support among Midwest WWC peeps, his pulling ads out of Michigan is not a positive indicator for him.

There is still time for things to improve for him, but Trump's campaign can't afford to coast on "everything will work out for him, we know it will.  His base will save him.  The polls are wrong.". Both they and he need to change something.  Fast.

But that has nothing to do with Biden's VP pick. 
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #4907 on: August 01, 2020, 09:04:47 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 10:10:55 AM by DisneyDem »

The fact that they are worried about conspiracy theories about Duckworth‘s eligibility coupled with the Jc interview make me believe she is still a good strong contender
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4908 on: August 01, 2020, 09:13:18 AM »

The fact that they are worried about conspiracy theories about Duckworth‘s eligibility coupled with the Kliebert interview make me believe she is still a good strong contender

This should be a non-issue, it's no different than Ted Cruz. The NYT had a very flattering article about her today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/01/us/politics/tammy-duckworth-biden-vp.html
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4909 on: August 01, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »

Kamala just makes the most sense because she's best qualified and the best ticket balancer.

1) I don't see how 3 years in the Senate is better qualified than 9 years in the House, chair of the CBC and chair of various other House committees (Bass), or UN Ambassador, national security advisor and Assistant Secretary of State under Clinton (Rice). To me Harris' resume is thinner than all of the other contenders except possibly Demmings.
2) Other than race and gender which several other choices equally balance, I don't see how Harris balances the ticket in terms of geography, ideology, constituency as many of the others do. What voter would Harris bring on board who isn't already voting for Biden?

If you want to bring on board progressives, pick Warren; if you want to shore up the Midwest, pick Duckworth; if you want someone connected with the AA community pick Bass; if you want someone you can work well with in the White House, pick Rice. I don't think Harris would be a bad choice, but I don't see what she brings to the ticket other than Generic D.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4910 on: August 01, 2020, 10:07:23 AM »

Yes, I will admit that incident does not look good, but she is a very dynamic, experienced, intelligent and capable individual.

But yes, this could derail any chance she has, or had, of being picked.

She should have stayed clear of this event.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4911 on: August 01, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4912 on: August 01, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »

True or not it’s still the end of her chances
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4913 on: August 01, 2020, 10:38:34 AM »

Like Bass or not, you still have to admit Biden/Bass sounds good of the tongue.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4914 on: August 01, 2020, 11:04:55 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 11:12:27 AM by BidenHarris2020 »

I liked Bass but uh not gonna support a Scientology apologist

Pretty much in this boat.

Welp, Im not a fan of Harris but im alright if its her, prefer Duckworth tho
It’s pretty incredible how Bass’s chances have completely collapsed in just the past day.
*Hilarious. And I say this because of Dodd's attempt to elevate her over Sen. Harris, not because I dislike her.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4915 on: August 01, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »

Yes, I will admit that incident does not look good, but she is a very dynamic, experienced, intelligent and capable individual.

But yes, this could derail any chance she has, or had, of being picked.

She should have stayed clear of this event.
It shows poor instincts/political judgement if anything. The Biden campaign does not need this distraction. I can see the Trump ads already. "Communist, Casto loving Scientolgist from California"
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4916 on: August 01, 2020, 11:08:47 AM »

Biden/Harris has a certain Je ne sais quoi.   Wink
GAProgressive
Rookie

« Reply #4917 on: August 01, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »

Not the best response.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4918 on: August 01, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »

YouGov poll:

Who do you think should be picked as VP?

Kamala Harris 25%
Elizabeth Warren 22%
Susan Rice 14%
Stacey Abrams 8%
Tammy Duckworth 6%
Gretchen Whitmer 5%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 5%
Val Demings 4%
Tammy Baldwin 3%
Karen Bass 3%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 2%
Gina Raimondo 2%

Who do you think Biden is most likely to pick?

Kamala Harris 37%
Elizabeth Warren 18%
Susan Rice 16%
Stacey Abrams 7%
Gretchen Whitmer 4%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 4%
Val Demings 3%
Tammy Duckworth 3%
Karen Bass 3%
Tammy Baldwin 2%
Gina Raimondo 1%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 1%

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/9wv681pl48/20200730_yahoo_coronavirus_toplines.pdf
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4919 on: August 01, 2020, 11:27:07 AM »

Kamala just makes the most sense because she's best qualified and the best ticket balancer.

1) I don't see how 3 years in the Senate is better qualified than 9 years in the House, chair of the CBC and chair of various other House committees (Bass), or UN Ambassador, national security advisor and Assistant Secretary of State under Clinton (Rice). To me Harris' resume is thinner than all of the other contenders except possibly Demmings.
2) Other than race and gender which several other choices equally balance, I don't see how Harris balances the ticket in terms of geography, ideology, constituency as many of the others do. What voter would Harris bring on board who isn't already voting for Biden?

If you want to bring on board progressives, pick Warren; if you want to shore up the Midwest, pick Duckworth; if you want someone connected with the AA community pick Bass; if you want someone you can work well with in the White House, pick Rice. I don't think Harris would be a bad choice, but I don't see what she brings to the ticket other than Generic D.

Harris's qualifications don't start with the Senate though. Her multiple positions in CA including AG are a huge boost too.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4920 on: August 01, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »

Wow, what a surprise!

Some in Bidenworld know that Kamala is the most likely pick but they're being vindictive against her.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4921 on: August 01, 2020, 11:37:08 AM »

YouGov poll:

Kamala Harris 25%
Elizabeth Warren 22%
Susan Rice 14%
Stacey Abrams 8%
Tammy Duckworth 6%
Gretchen Whitmer 5%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 5%
Val Demings 4%
Tammy Baldwin 3%
Karen Bass 3%
Gina Raimondo 2%

Kamala Harris 37%
Elizabeth Warren 18%
Susan Rice 16%
Stacey Abrams 7%
Gretchen Whitmer 4%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 4%
Val Demings 3%
Tammy Duckworth 3%
Karen Bass 3%
Tammy Baldwin 2%
Gina Raimondo 1%

The numbers dont lie.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4922 on: August 01, 2020, 11:38:33 AM »

Wow, what a surprise!

Some in Bidenworld know that Kamala is the most likely pick but they're being vindictive against her.

This is what it has seemed to be over the past few weeks. I think a lot of people in the orbit know the likely choice is Harris so they are being vindictive and trying to push whatever narrative they can because they're upset about it.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4923 on: August 01, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »

YouGov poll:

Kamala Harris 25%
Elizabeth Warren 22%
Susan Rice 14%
Stacey Abrams 8%
Tammy Duckworth 6%
Gretchen Whitmer 5%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 5%
Val Demings 4%
Tammy Baldwin 3%
Karen Bass 3%
Gina Raimondo 2%

Kamala Harris 37%
Elizabeth Warren 18%
Susan Rice 16%
Stacey Abrams 7%
Gretchen Whitmer 4%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 4%
Val Demings 3%
Tammy Duckworth 3%
Karen Bass 3%
Tammy Baldwin 2%
Gina Raimondo 1%

It’s gonna be Kamala Harris...
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4924 on: August 01, 2020, 11:47:18 AM »

Biden/Harris has a certain Je ne sais quoi.   Wink

I don't know what it is, but they look good together too
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 202 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies