Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:35:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363137 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4875 on: July 31, 2020, 09:04:35 PM »

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #4876 on: July 31, 2020, 09:07:54 PM »

I have no problem with Duckworth or Warren being VP but it would be a missed opportunity. Black people have been one of the most loyal constituencies for Democrats for the past 100 years. I think we deserve a spot on the ticket this time especially since Biden will not be here if it weren't for South Carolina. Picking Duckworth or Warren will basically just be telling us that "You were going to show up anyway".

We had the top spot on the ticket in 2 of the last 3 elections. If you, or other Black people, thought it was that important then maybe y’all should’ve supported one of the black candidates and not pushed the old white guy. It’s just a bit weird how you complain about having an old white ticket but were the main reason Biden is the nominee in the first place, as you said above about South Carolina.
Warren should’ve been the nominee this year and should be the VP pick as well. I’m fine with VP Harris, as she’s by far and away qualified to step in as President. I’d just prefer a caretaker VP to match Biden’s caretaker President role.

My opposition to Harris is purely long-term. I want a competitive primary in 2024, and if she pulls a Gore/Hillary and clears the field then the Democratic Party is screwed out of the post-Obama reckoning that we put off this year in choosing Biden. We need to have a primary (without the influence of a looming Trump re-election or Biden/Bernie blocking off both lanes in the party) to decide the direction of the party.

This doesn't make any sense. For one, there's always a looming Republican threat. And two, how is it that Biden and Sanders "blocked both lanes"?  Democrats were free to vote for literally dozens of other candidates. Maybe Democrats just wanted to be represented by the actual vote getters.

Biden made it so the middle and establishment consolidated behind him instead of younger candidates like Bullock and Kamala whole Bernie blocked Warren from consolidating the left. If neither of them ran this year we probably wouldn’t have had a ticket with a 70+ year old at the top.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4877 on: July 31, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »

Thank God. I'm ready for this to end one way way or the other.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4878 on: July 31, 2020, 09:11:02 PM »

I have no problem with Duckworth or Warren being VP but it would be a missed opportunity. Black people have been one of the most loyal constituencies for Democrats for the past 100 years. I think we deserve a spot on the ticket this time especially since Biden will not be here if it weren't for South Carolina. Picking Duckworth or Warren will basically just be telling us that "You were going to show up anyway".

We had the top spot on the ticket in 2 of the last 3 elections. If you, or other Black people, thought it was that important then maybe y’all should’ve supported one of the black candidates and not pushed the old white guy. It’s just a bit weird how you complain about having an old white ticket but were the main reason Biden is the nominee in the first place, as you said above about South Carolina.
Warren should’ve been the nominee this year and should be the VP pick as well. I’m fine with VP Harris, as she’s by far and away qualified to step in as President. I’d just prefer a caretaker VP to match Biden’s caretaker President role.

My opposition to Harris is purely long-term. I want a competitive primary in 2024, and if she pulls a Gore/Hillary and clears the field then the Democratic Party is screwed out of the post-Obama reckoning that we put off this year in choosing Biden. We need to have a primary (without the influence of a looming Trump re-election or Biden/Bernie blocking off both lanes in the party) to decide the direction of the party.

This doesn't make any sense. For one, there's always a looming Republican threat. And two, how is it that Biden and Sanders "blocked both lanes"?  Democrats were free to vote for literally dozens of other candidates. Maybe Democrats just wanted to be represented by the actual vote getters.

Biden made it so the middle and establishment consolidated behind him instead of younger candidates like Bullock and Kamala whole Bernie blocked Warren from consolidating the left. If neither of them ran this year we probably wouldn’t have had a ticket with a 70+ year old at the top.

Warren is also 70.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4879 on: July 31, 2020, 09:23:14 PM »

Re: Dodd and co.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4880 on: July 31, 2020, 09:34:40 PM »

So if the actual vote getters hadn't run, other candidates would have gotten more votes?  I mean, this is true, but I'm still not sure what point it proves. It seems to me there's just no real desire among Democrats for the "post-Obama reckoning" you alluded to earlier. By and large, Democrats seem pretty happy with the already existing party leaders.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4881 on: July 31, 2020, 09:44:35 PM »

No offense, but when it comes to the timing of the VP announcement, I'm gonna trust The New York Times over this random #KHive account
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4882 on: July 31, 2020, 09:55:51 PM »

Just announce the pick already so I can be mildly disappointed (Harris) or vomit (Rice)
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4883 on: July 31, 2020, 09:57:05 PM »

Can we all just admit that we dodged a bullet because Biden was really really legitimately going to pick Klobuchar as his VP?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #4884 on: July 31, 2020, 09:58:52 PM »

Can we all just admit that we dodged a bullet because Biden was really really legitimately going to pick Klobuchar as his VP?

Yeah, even without the protests she would still be pretty bland, boring, and wouldn’t add much to the ticket. The whole “moderate Democrat who appeals to working class white in the midwest” thing is already covered by Biden.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4885 on: July 31, 2020, 10:05:24 PM »

FWIW Ulrich deleted the tweet about Bass's nonprofit being across the street from the Scientology Center. Happy to eat crow on this one if it doesn't end up getting much play.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4886 on: July 31, 2020, 10:09:29 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2020, 10:18:39 PM by Monstro »

No offense, but when it comes to the timing of the VP announcement, I'm gonna trust The New York Times over this random #KHive account

PBS NewsHour reported it this evening in an interview with Jim Clyburn. It was brought up in a question about the VP pick, but Clyburn didn't mention anything about a timeframe. I'm assuming that's what the tweet is referring to.

Judy Woodruff: Vice President Biden, as you know, is saying he's going to announce next week which woman he has chosen to be his running mate. You have said you think it would be a plus, but not a must, for Joe Biden to choose an African American woman. My question to you, though, is with the — what we have seen happen in this country over the last few months, the push for racial justice, the sensitivity around racial justice, do you not think it would be better if he chose an African American woman as his running mate?

Rep. James Clyburn: I still maintain it would be a plus. I do believe that it is a little bit foolhardy for us to be focusing on the vice presidential choice, rather than other things as well. Ilong for an African American woman to sit on the United States Supreme Court. It's a shame that we have had three women to sit on the United States Supreme Court, and no one has ever given the kind of consideration that is due to an African American woman. That, to me, is priority

The V.P. is good on style, but, on substance, give me an African American woman on the Supreme Court. That's where we determine how our democracy will be preserved. This Supreme Court has neutered the Voting Rights Act of 1965. And so I am very concerned about the composition of the United States Supreme Court.

Woodruff: House Majority Whip Representative James Clyburn of South Carolina, thank you very much.

Clyburn: Thanks for having me.

Woodruff: And this evening, there are new reports that Joe Biden will announce his pick for running mate the week of August 10.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/clyburn-says-more-important-to-have-black-woman-on-supreme-court-than-as-vp
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4887 on: July 31, 2020, 10:10:59 PM »

Clyburn keeping options open for a nonblack running mate? Time to switch all my hopes and dreams from Bass right back to Warren.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4888 on: July 31, 2020, 10:14:06 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2020, 10:25:12 PM by BaldEagle1991 »

I don't know what I am impatient to wait for, hearing Biden's running mate or Wonder Woman 1984 being released.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4889 on: July 31, 2020, 10:24:08 PM »

I don't know which I am impatient to wait for, hearing Biden's running mate or Wonder Woman 1984 being released.
WW1984 for me.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4890 on: July 31, 2020, 10:28:03 PM »

I don't know which I am impatient to wait for, hearing Biden's running mate or Wonder Woman 1984 being released.
WW1984 for me.

I might be more impatient to hear Biden's running mate.

I'm just hoping WW84 doesn't get delayed again, or else that will beat it.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4891 on: July 31, 2020, 10:33:34 PM »

PBS NewsHour reported it this evening in an interview with Jim Clyburn. It was brought up in a question about the VP pick, but Clyburn didn't mention anything about a timeframe. I'm assuming that's what the tweet is referring to.

Judy Woodruff: Vice President Biden, as you know, is saying he's going to announce next week which woman he has chosen to be his running mate. You have said you think it would be a plus, but not a must, for Joe Biden to choose an African American woman. My question to you, though, is with the — what we have seen happen in this country over the last few months, the push for racial justice, the sensitivity around racial justice, do you not think it would be better if he chose an African American woman as his running mate?

Rep. James Clyburn: I still maintain it would be a plus. I do believe that it is a little bit foolhardy for us to be focusing on the vice presidential choice, rather than other things as well. Ilong for an African American woman to sit on the United States Supreme Court. It's a shame that we have had three women to sit on the United States Supreme Court, and no one has ever given the kind of consideration that is due to an African American woman. That, to me, is priority

The V.P. is good on style, but, on substance, give me an African American woman on the Supreme Court. That's where we determine how our democracy will be preserved. This Supreme Court has neutered the Voting Rights Act of 1965. And so I am very concerned about the composition of the United States Supreme Court.

Woodruff: House Majority Whip Representative James Clyburn of South Carolina, thank you very much.

Clyburn: Thanks for having me.

Woodruff: And this evening, there are new reports that Joe Biden will announce his pick for running mate the week of August 10.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/clyburn-says-more-important-to-have-black-woman-on-supreme-court-than-as-vp

I wonder if Biden's team has shared polling with him indicating that Duckworth and Whitmer just do a lot better in focus groups.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4892 on: July 31, 2020, 10:39:41 PM »

That Clyburn interview......

Warren, Duckworth,....Whitmer?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4893 on: July 31, 2020, 11:07:16 PM »

I don't know what I am impatient to wait for, hearing Biden's running mate or Wonder Woman 1984 being released.

Trick question, because the answer is Black Widow (which was supposed to come out 3 months ago now).
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4894 on: July 31, 2020, 11:17:00 PM »

Please try not to refight the last two Democratic primaries in this thread.

Thank you.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4895 on: July 31, 2020, 11:17:22 PM »

Trick question, because the answer is Black Widow (which was supposed to come out 3 months ago now).

I’m also eagerly waiting for that one too.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4896 on: July 31, 2020, 11:22:28 PM »

Nah fam. Try No Time to Die. That was supposed to come out in November 2019! Also this is my 2000th post. What the hell am I doing with my life?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4897 on: August 01, 2020, 12:59:40 AM »

I liked Bass but uh not gonna support a Scientology apologist
swf541

« Reply #4898 on: August 01, 2020, 02:44:20 AM »

Pretty much in this boat.

Welp, Im not a fan of Harris but im alright if its her, prefer Duckworth tho
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #4899 on: August 01, 2020, 03:23:08 AM »

Pretty much in this boat.

Welp, Im not a fan of Harris but im alright if its her, prefer Duckworth tho
It’s pretty incredible how Bass’s chances have completely collapsed in just the past day.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies