IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:12:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 65421 times)
PAK Man

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: June 05, 2019, 11:45:30 AM »

To address some points here:

- Braley lost the second he was caught on tape calling Chuck Grassley a "farmer from Iowa with no law degree." No matter what he did, he wasn't going to come back from that. Yes, he was 100% true, but farmers took that as a knock against them, and you do not upset the farmers in Iowa.

- The only reason Trump won Iowa by such a big margin is because of how much Clinton was hated. I have friends that believe in everything about the Democratic Party and were ardent Obama supporters, but HATED Clinton. Why? I have no idea, but all of them were ardent Sanders supporters. When he suspended his campaign, they all swarmed to Gary Johnson. Trust me when I say, without Clinton on the ballot, Democrats are going to do a whole lot better.

2018 was actually Democrats' best election cycle in several years in Iowa. They picked up a state office they haven't held since the '60s (state auditor), picked up two U.S. House seats, almost picked up a third, and just barely lost the governors' mansion. All things considered, I think that's a great sign for Democrats, and they'd be completely foolish to not seriously challenge Ernst.

Agree with this. Trump's 9 point win was at 51% when everyone is acting like it was in the mid-50s. A combination of the environment in 2016 and the dislike of Clinton is what got him that margin. This was a weak 9 point win. I know way too many democrats here who wrote in Sanders, voted 3rd party, or just didn't vote upon Clinton winning the nomination.

Iowa is definitely lean R, but this whole talk of "it shouldn't be contested anymore" is crazy. The right D candidate would win.

However, I do think Ernst will outperform Trump by a noticeable margin here. I won't be surprised if she gets reelected and Trump loses the state if he's up against Biden or Sanders. Anyone perceived as a coastal elitist will have a harder time.

I thought this too but the fact that Fred Hubbell couldn't take out a non-incumbent governor means it will be harder to defeat Ernst. Let's not forget that Hubbell is from a family that practically built Iowa.
The guy sat on the board of f[inks]ing PLANNED PARENTHOOD.  Something like that doesn't fly in a state like Iowa...

See, I didn't know that. I only knew him as a businessman and philanthropist. I don't ever recall Planned Parenthood coming up at any point during his campaign. He was never attacked on it, that's for sure.

I think the problem was people who don't care about social issues / business people flocked towards Reynolds.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #276 on: June 05, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »

I think Reynolds was just a stronger candidate than people gave her credit for, she came off as a lot more personable and human compared to Hubbell. Her history of overcoming alcohol addiction vs. Hubbell's family name and fortune.
PAK Man

« Reply #277 on: June 05, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »

Certainly that's one reason. I met Hubbell once on the campaign trail and he was just bland. Frankly, he was pretty much Generic D.

Boulton probably would have won if he hadn't had that sexual harassment scandal. I personally voted for John Norris in the primary, though (Boulton was too new at politics and something about Hubbell rubbed me the wrong way. Glasson struck me as unelectable statewide).
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »

DSCC and Emily's List endorsed Greenfield. She's the candidate. Better her than some whitebread businessman I guess.

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2019, 11:37:01 AM »

Im extremely dissapointed in the DSCC. Endorsing this early, and for a rather no-name candidate who's known for having a ballot signature scandal(it wasnt her, but she will be associated with it) doesnt look good for our chances here.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2019, 11:54:55 AM »

Im extremely dissapointed in the DSCC. Endorsing this early, and for a rather no-name candidate who's known for having a ballot signature scandal(it wasnt her, but she will be associated with it) doesnt look good for our chances here.

Agreed. I didn't think we could beat Ernst anyway, but Greenfield seems like a poor choice to me. At least wait a few months to see if other candidates announce!
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2019, 12:25:56 PM »

Ernst is not really vulnerable and IA is not on the path to a D senate majority
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »

No one gives a damn or will give a damn about that.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »

This is a triage.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »

I'm afraid you're right. Even though as many seats as possible need to be put in play.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2019, 01:06:23 PM »

No one gives a damn or will give a damn about that.

I wouldn't be so sure. At the very least, I expect Republicans to try to spin the story to put Greenfield in a bad light.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »

How on earth is this a triage, is Atlas really this dumb? The DCCC also endorsed Ben Ray Lujan in NM who has a primary opponent, so either they're confident no stronger Dems will run or they think Greenfield is better than any potential candidates.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »

Lol, if the DSCC is endorsing some no name candidate for IA-SEN, they’ve already given up

Also

Anyway Rating Change

IA-SEN: Likely R—————>Safe R
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »

How on earth is this a triage, is Atlas really this dumb? The DCCC also endorsed Ben Ray Lujan in NM who has a primary opponent, so either they're confident no stronger Dems will run or they think Greenfield is better than any potential candidates.

Uhh if that's the case, we have indeed triaged this race.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »

Don't worry, the Democratic establishment can triage the Senate because their anointed boy, Biden, will make McConnell come to the center through reasoned talks and some good ol' bipartisanship (and as we know, the B in LGBT stands for bipartisan so both parties who are involved in these Very Serious Talks are clearly LGBT-friendly).

This recent news may throw a wrench in their plans, though...

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »

Don't worry, the Democratic establishment can triage the Senate because their anointed boy, Biden, will make McConnell come to the center through reasoned talks and some good ol' bipartisanship (and as we know, the B in LGBT stands for bipartisan so both parties who are involved in these Very Serious Talks are clearly LGBT-friendly).

This recent news may throw a wrench in their plans, though...

IA is part of 272 map, like Va, Bullock endorsed Greenfield.  Dems arent triaging race. Bradley was favored and he lost to Ernst
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2019, 03:54:03 PM »

Lol, these "this is a triage" predictions already didn't age well.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2019, 03:59:05 PM »

Backing this person who no one has heard of outside of having a ballot signatures scandal is absolutely tantamount to giving up the seat.

The fact that they're doing this when Scholten is still there means that they would rather give up the seat than run Scholten for it. Needless to say, Scholten himself doesn't seem to agree.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »

Might be one of the most embarrassing moments I've witnessed in Atlas history. More than a year from the election lmao
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2019, 08:13:31 PM »

Even if Iowa is a longshot, it's far from the most expensive state to compete in, so it doesn't make sense for Democrats to give up, at least not this early in the game. I don't think the DSCC is triaging this race, they're just not always the best at picking great candidates to endorse.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »

IA isn't a longshot, it's part of 272 and Ernst was a longshot against Braley at first and she won. We have to defeat her before she becomes entrenched like Grassley
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #297 on: June 06, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »

imo Scholten should run for the 4th because as long as our nominee is credible for Senate he will help cut down the Democratic losses in the 4th district, which are what did Hubbell in.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2019, 01:38:27 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2019, 01:44:26 AM by IA less likely to flip than OH/TX/FL/GA/NC/AZ »

Even with Scholten there’s no way IA will be even close to the tipping point race. This is one of only three Senate races where I think Atlas really overestimates Democratic chances of winning (I think Republicans are overestimated in pretty much every other competitive or somewhat competitive race).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #299 on: June 07, 2019, 03:42:14 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2019, 04:25:43 AM by Stephen Curry is Awesome »

Senate map

Presidential map