IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:05:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 64821 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »

Obviously if she had infidelity that's very bad and her fault but this complaint from her husband sounds ridiculous:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's his wife. As long as no one else was present, why is he complaining? Not that I have a desire to see Joni Ernst naked of course, but he is married to her.

It's refreshing to know I don't disagree with Ernst on everything.

This man is crazy (or so thoroughly dedicated to his affair that seeing his wife naked felt like a betrayal to his girlfriend!)

Well, the behavior that Gail is upset about in the petition apparently occurs after they have privately agreed to divorce but agreed to still share the house in Red Oak (for whatever reason--financial, appearances)  He's saying in his petition that they can no longer share the house because of her behavior.

I saw stories during the time of the housing crash of couples that got divorced and couldn't afford to sell the house (underwater) and they both continued living in the house while separated/divorced.  You would think a US Senator could afford other housing in Red Oak where I'm sure it's relatively affordable, but as we know DC isn't cheap.

There is the possibility that both sides are bringing the crazy on this one.  I've seen it before in what appeared to be normal functioning adults.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2019, 11:08:26 PM »

steve king
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2019, 11:41:22 PM »

Steve King because I would be trying to throw away elections from within.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2019, 11:48:33 PM »

Probably Adam Gregg
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2019, 11:59:02 PM »

Rick Bertrand. His opposition to Steve King would be a plus on a statewide level.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »

Paul Pate
PAK Man

« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »

Mary Mosiman. She was just narrowly defeated as state auditor, and she'd probably be a safe pick. She was a non-controversial figure who only lost because of the environment.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »

Is there really any possibilty that Ernst retires?
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2019, 05:45:16 PM »

The Iowa governor's race was close, and Dems control the congressional delegation in Iowa, so I think Dems still have some ground in Iowa.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »

I do, since Trump will most likely win Iowa again. Plus, she's pretty popular in a state that already leans slightly to the right, so I'd say she's a pretty strong favorite. Likely R to start.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2019, 06:14:10 PM »

I think it's going to be a competitive race, but without knowing who her opponent is or how badly Trump may do in Iowa I can't say if she's going to be favored for now. As of now, with no obvious opponent, she's favored.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2019, 06:20:29 PM »

Can we agree it's a good thing for America that the fact she's getting divorced shouldn't really have an impact on her chances for reelection? Earlier in my lifetime, this would have been a minor scandal... a major one if you go further back. Now, it's just a thing that may cause embarrassment but isn't going to tar her IMO.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »

Do y'all think this non-profit means JD isnt going to run. It certainly seems he's leaning that way.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2019, 03:14:44 PM »

She’s definitely favored, and this notion that the 2014/2016 results were a fluke in Iowa but not in Ohio (which is Likely R and going to vote 10+ points to the right of Iowa from now on because reasons) is as absurd as saying that Arizona is still a Lean/Likely R state. Democrats could easily take the Senate in 2020, but there’s really no way Iowa will be the tipping point race. Yes, the state can be swingy, but there are far better targets for Democrats, especially if Trump wins reelection.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »

She’s definitely favored, and this notion that the 2014/2016 results were a fluke in Iowa but not in Ohio (which is Likely R and going to vote 10+ points to the right of Iowa from now on because reasons) is as absurd as saying that Arizona is still a Lean/Likely R state. Democrats could easily take the Senate in 2020, but there’s really no way Iowa will be the tipping point race. Yes, the state can be swingy, but there are far better targets for Democrats, especially if Trump wins reelection.

BUT MUH 2012
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »

Democrats start needing to pick up 3 seats... 4 once we give Alabama to the Republicans. How is it unlikely that iowa isn’t at least 5th on that list?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2019, 04:31:48 PM »

Democrats start needing to pick up 3 seats... 4 once we give Alabama to the Republicans. How is it unlikely that iowa isn’t at least 5th on that list?

I really don’t see how Iowa flips before Colorado, Arizona, Georgia, and North Carolina, even with the 50%+1 rule in GA. This is obviously not nearly as likely, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if one or two of KS/MT/AK flipped before IA, especially if Trump wins reelection.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2019, 06:19:02 PM »

I really don’t see how Iowa flips before Colorado, Arizona, Georgia, and North Carolina, even with the 50%+1 rule in GA. This is obviously not nearly as likely, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if one or two of KS/MT/AK flipped before IA, especially if Trump wins reelection.

Colorado yeah—and I'm tempted to agree with North Carolina as more likely—but Iowa has a track record of voting Democratic statewide federally in recent memory for President and for Tom Harkin, and that's why I put it ahead of Georgia and even Arizona. I think you could make a case that 2018 in Arizona puts it ahead of Iowa, but there's no argument for Georgia.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2019, 07:00:34 PM »

Colorado yeah—and I'm tempted to agree with North Carolina as more likely—but Iowa has a track record of voting Democratic statewide federally in recent memory for President and for Tom Harkin, and that's why I put it ahead of Georgia and even Arizona. I think you could make a case that 2018 in Arizona puts it ahead of Iowa, but there's no argument for Georgia.

Tom Harkin won in 2008, the same year Democrats won federal races in Arkansas, South Dakota and Louisiana in a landslide, so certainly not that "recent." Arizona elected a Democratic Senator in 2018, and Democrats came closer to winning GA-GOV 2014/GA-GOV 2018/GA-SEN 2014/GA-SEN 2016(!)/GA-PRES 2016 than IA-GOV 2014/IA-GOV 2018/IA-SEN 2014/IA-SEN 2016/IA-PRES 2016. Georgia might be more "inelastic" than Iowa, but we’re getting really close to the point where Democrats don’t even need to win over that many swing voters to flip the state (certainly fewer of them than in Iowa). Hell, even Stacey Abrams only lost by like 1.5% and Barrow only lost the runoff by 4 even though he underperformed badly in places like Cobb and Gwinnett.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2019, 10:30:07 PM »

Calling Ernst favored is fair, but she's not safe, especially if Democrats actually run a decent candidate for Iowa (which they haven't done in most recent races.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2019, 08:19:52 AM »

Calling Ernst favored is fair, but she's not safe, especially if Democrats actually run a decent candidate for Iowa (which they haven't done in most recent races.)

C'mon, Millennials loved Patty Judge.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »

Theresa Greenfield and Eddie Mauro are likely candidates
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »

I don't know much about those two, but I'm not feeling optimistic. Another Democratic Senate majority may never happen at this rate. MTTreasurer may end up being right after all.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »

I don't know much about those two, but I'm not feeling optimistic. Another Democratic Senate majority may never happen at this rate. MTTreasurer may end up being right after all.

Both are good candidates - the IA-3 Democratic primary last cycle was very much an embarrassment of riches.

Greenfield in particular walked away from a very tough situation looking very good.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2019, 08:00:45 AM »

Per a new poll, Ernst has a 57% approval rating. I think she'll win by double digits at this rate.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies