Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 02:41:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 214394 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2050 on: November 07, 2018, 02:16:53 AM »

Does anyone know if Charlie Baker won Boston? I just looked and saw he won Suffolk County 51-49 but I imagine he would have won Chelsea and Revere.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2051 on: November 07, 2018, 02:17:04 AM »

And remember without the Senate the GOP owns the courts--unlikely as it was I would've taken it over the House which doesn't stop Trump's long term damage.

Rs do own the courts for the moment, yes. But this result just makes it all the more inevitable that by the time Ds finally do win back the Senate (which could well take a decade or possibly even more), there will be Court packing and fundamental reform of judicial nominating process in a way that is more legitimate and democratically representative of the people's votes.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2052 on: November 07, 2018, 02:17:27 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Democrats were never favored to win the senate, even you said this yourself. They won the house fairly easily even with the gerrymandering and look to be on pace to win 30-40 seats.

Honestly, Dems are never going to win with some of you no matter what they do.

They weren't favored for the Senate overall, but there's no reason Arizona should be this close, no reason Florida should've been lost, and no reason the margins in Indiana or Missouri should've been what they were, or the seat retentions in the upper Midwest. And we're looking at the increasing possibility of Tester losing as well.

And remember without the Senate the GOP owns the courts--unlikely as it was I would've taken it over the House which doesn't stop Trump's long term damage.

Arizona is very slow at counting, you can't really say how close it is yet. McSally was a good candiate - Sinema was not fortunate to be running against Arpaio or Ward. It would have been nice for Sinema to be clearly winning, but for AZ, a state which has voted R for basically everything for basically forever, and where a significant part of the Dem base includes low turnout demographics such as Youngs and Hispanics, this is a great result especially in a midterm year, and suggests Dems can do well in AZ in the future (including competing there in 2020).

F*** that. Democrats have to get over trying to win Miss Congeniality or be happy with the silver medal. Go for the win. This is why people have trouble taking the Democratic party seriously.

Democrats need to understand that it is perfectly okay to adopt Vince Lombardi's motto that winning isn't the most important thing, it's the only thing! And yet at the same time not be some date raping Joc from like for example grab a 15 year-old girl in a party cover her mouth keep her against her will while squee turns Up the Volume so others can't hear her struggling.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2053 on: November 07, 2018, 02:17:36 AM »

If CNN is undercounting MT percents, then Tester likely wins.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2054 on: November 07, 2018, 02:17:39 AM »

Dems also appear to have swept the statewide offices in Nevada. The R incumbent Secretary of State and Controller both lost. Sisolak wins the gubernatorial election.

Overall gubernatorial numbers nationwide are D+7, with some chance the Ds could win Alaska as well, though early results have Dunleavy ahead.

One lesson, I think, that should be derived from these results is that the state by state fundamentals are very important. Fundamentals pointed to Republican victories in Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri, Texas, and Tennessee, and to a Democratic victory in Nevada. Another lesson is that polarization has now invaded the lower-ballot races, and will be the overriding constant across the board from this point forward, unless a realignment or massive demographic shift occurs.

Spot on, but TX is also trending Democratic and O'Rourke nearly pulled it off.

Texas is certainly one of the brightest spots of tonight, given the two flips and how close other districts were, not to mention how close O'Rourke came.

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2055 on: November 07, 2018, 02:18:15 AM »

I'm sure there will be a recount with the margin being just 57 votes and 100% reporting. But they'll count military absentees and provisionals first - I think those will on net favor McBath, maybe enough for her to lead before the recount.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2056 on: November 07, 2018, 02:18:17 AM »

Milwaukee votes came in, as of now above the margin to allow a recount by law. Evers should stay able that and win.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2057 on: November 07, 2018, 02:18:42 AM »

Scott Walker losing is the scalp of the night for sure

No! KKKobach for sure. Not surewhy that race isn't getting much attention

It was very pleasing how early it was called for Kelly.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #2058 on: November 07, 2018, 02:19:21 AM »

I haven't been checking in tonight, but I can't decide whether I'm happy with the results or disappointed by them tonight.  Just kind of so-so?
You should be extremely disappointed. The Republican legislative agenda is dead

But our Senate majority is bigger to confirm justices who will overturn Roe.

You need a Dem to leave the court, or maybe Roberts, in the next 2 years for that to happen.

Roberts won't leave under Trump

I meant if he died.

He seems healthy. Wtf
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2059 on: November 07, 2018, 02:20:36 AM »

Dems also appear to have swept the statewide offices in Nevada. The R incumbent Secretary of State and Controller both lost. Sisolak wins the gubernatorial election.

Overall gubernatorial numbers nationwide are D+7, with some chance the Ds could win Alaska as well, though early results have Dunleavy ahead.

One lesson, I think, that should be derived from these results is that the state by state fundamentals are very important. Fundamentals pointed to Republican victories in Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri, Texas, and Tennessee, and to a Democratic victory in Nevada. Another lesson is that polarization has now invaded the lower-ballot races, and will be the overriding constant across the board from this point forward, unless a realignment or massive demographic shift occurs.

Spot on, but TX is also trending Democratic and O'Rourke nearly pulled it off.

You are right. While I think John Cornyn is favored in 2020, especially with it being a presidential year, I also believe that he will face a much more competitive race than he did in 2014. He definitely won't be getting over 60% of the vote this time. And the suburban trend in Texas, as well as the trends concerning minority and young voters, should send alarm signals to the Republicans there. But in a way, I am disappointed by the results of this midterm, given that it has only confirmed the intensification of polarization.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2060 on: November 07, 2018, 02:20:40 AM »

LOL @ tossup Nevada and tossup New Jersey
Panda Express

« Reply #2061 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:08 AM »

Scott Walker losing is the scalp of the night for sure

No! KKKobach for sure. Not surewhy that race isn't getting much attention

Scott Walker has been a villain for us since 2010 including besting us 3 times previously.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2062 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:10 AM »

Why have NV and WI not been called?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2063 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:27 AM »

When you add Governor, Congressional, and Senatorial results in the Democrats won all of the 100 most populous county in the country except Collin, Denton, and Lee County.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2064 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:37 AM »

Ooga booga, bye bye Heller and Laxalt!!!!!!!!!!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2065 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:40 AM »

Missoula is still only 1/3 reporting.  Seems like Tester should pick up at least 10k votes just out of there.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2066 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:44 AM »

Rs do own the courts for the moment, yes. But this result just makes it all the more inevitable that by the time Ds finally do win back the Senate (which could well take a decade or possibly even more), there will be Court packing and fundamental reform of judicial nominating process in a way that is more legitimate and democratically representative of the people's votes.

But it's a self-perpetuating cycle! The court will viciously and ruthlessly exploit every chance of voter suppression through Republican favorable rulings on gerrymandering, voter ID laws, limitation of voting times and places, any and all other administrative measures to interfere with voter registration in Broward County, etc etc etc.

People complained about democracy being broken since the 60s. However, we have never been in such a. Since the Civil War were an extremist minority has crammed its views down the majority of Americans throats.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2067 on: November 07, 2018, 02:22:46 AM »

If CNN is undercounting MT percents, then Tester likely wins.

New York Times gives Tester an 83% chance of winning.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2068 on: November 07, 2018, 02:23:55 AM »

Am I seeing this right? Did the Dems actually sweep mainland New England in the House?
Cape Verde
asianzzang
Rookie
« Reply #2069 on: November 07, 2018, 02:24:05 AM »

Interesting how Kevin De Leon is sweeping Republican counties
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2070 on: November 07, 2018, 02:24:13 AM »

I haven't been checking in tonight, but I can't decide whether I'm happy with the results or disappointed by them tonight.  Just kind of so-so?
You should be extremely disappointed. The Republican legislative agenda is dead

But our Senate majority is bigger to confirm justices who will overturn Roe.

You need a Dem to leave the court, or maybe Roberts, in the next 2 years for that to happen.

Roberts won't leave under Trump

I meant if he died.

He seems healthy. Wtf

I mean, he himself made that very point to Republican rallies within the last couple weeks. Sure, I'm guessing a lot of it was just too Jen up the vote, but he does have a point.

Besides, compared to other well-preserved fossils like Mitt Romney, Etc, Grassley looks every day of his 85 years.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2071 on: November 07, 2018, 02:25:09 AM »

On the bright side outside judges, a GOP Senate isn't really that bad because Republican don't have any ideas. And the one they do have are unpopular.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2072 on: November 07, 2018, 02:25:11 AM »

Collin Peterson is gone in 2020, assuming he even runs again.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2073 on: November 07, 2018, 02:25:12 AM »

Arizona is making me nervous, but Sinema has more favorable turf out.

Yep, all that is left is 45% out in Apache, 67% out in Pinal (56% for Trump in 2016), and 87% out in Maricopa (which is a lot of votes, by far the largest county in the state).

Looking at the 2016 Results, there is the following % of the vote outstanding (2016 result in brackets):

Apache: 72.8%% (Clinton +32.7%)
Greenlee: 12.5% (Trump +24.6%)
Maricopa: 72.27% (Trump +2.9%)
Pima: 59.04% (Clinton +13.8%)
Pinal: 47.06% (Trump +19.5%)
Yavapai: 2.22% (Trump 31.8%)

Critically, Marciopa and Pima are way larger than any other the other counties. Dems should hope that Apache reverts back to the Clinton margin as well.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2074 on: November 07, 2018, 02:26:15 AM »

CNN projects Jacky!!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies