Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 07:21:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 72
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer  (Read 91207 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: November 07, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »

Even the WISC will vote against the power grab.

It depends on what it is I imagine. I don't know exactly how powerful the WI Governor is and what exactly he can do, but if the WIGOP is like the NCGOP, they will probably try to limit his input in election stuff and place restraints on his ability to freely staff his administration. Maybe also take away the ability of the executive to pass some kinds of regulations as well. This is all pretty typical.

Can't say I'm surprised at this. The Republican Party these days is a place where ethics go to die. Too many corrupt politicians who are drowning in the money and priorities of wealthy people and corporations. Not to mention the dangerous trend of anti-democratic tendencies over the past generation.

I agree with all that's here. I just want to mention that I feel it's important to remember the Wisconsin Governor is much stronger and has more powers than the NC Governor. The NC Governor's office is one of the weakest in the country. So there is more that could be taken away in a potential power grab in Wisconsin than there was in NC.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1101 on: November 07, 2018, 08:48:27 PM »

I should also note that Vos is the one saying this and Fitzgerald (State Senate Majority Leader) was noncommittal. Lots of times Vos and much more right-wing Assembly like to try to do crazy things and then get smacked down by the State Senate. That could be the case here.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1102 on: November 07, 2018, 08:53:58 PM »

I should also note that Vos is the one saying this and Fitzgerald (State Senate Majority Leader) was noncommittal. Lots of times Vos and much more right-wing Assembly like to try to do crazy things and then get smacked down by the State Senate. That could be the case here.

We'll just have to wait and see. North Carolina Republicans frequently file bills that are 100x as absurd and corrupt as the ones that actually tend to pass (such as the one that proposed terminating literally every single judge in the state so the legislature could then appoint all new ones), so like you said, it could just be talk.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1103 on: November 08, 2018, 10:28:02 AM »

Evers and the Dems should really push for getting marijuana legalized first honestly. It's an easy way to get a tax increase in and get a lot more funding for the schools and roads and they might be able to get it past Republicans for a ballot initiative in 2020, which would help the Dems win the state too.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1104 on: November 08, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »

Evers and the Dems should really push for getting marijuana legalized first honestly. It's an easy way to get a tax increase in and get a lot more funding for the schools and roads and they might be able to get it past Republicans for a ballot initiative in 2020, which would help the Dems win the state too.

Yep! I was just talking about this with one of my students yesterday.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1105 on: November 08, 2018, 10:59:13 AM »

Um... Wisconsin doesn't have ballot initiatives. The most they could do is pressure the legislature to pass it and tax it... which, isn't a bad strategy. I don't think it's likely, but it would be popular.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1106 on: November 08, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »

Even the WISC will vote against the power grab.

It depends on what it is I imagine. I don't know exactly how powerful the WI Governor is and what exactly he can do, but if the WIGOP is like the NCGOP, they will probably try to limit his input in election stuff and place restraints on his ability to freely staff his administration. Maybe also take away the ability of the executive to pass some kinds of regulations as well. This is all pretty typical.

Can't say I'm surprised at this. The Republican Party these days is a place where ethics go to die. Too many corrupt politicians who are drowning in the money and priorities of wealthy people and corporations. Not to mention the dangerous trend of anti-democratic tendencies over the past generation.

I agree with all that's here. I just want to mention that I feel it's important to remember the Wisconsin Governor is much stronger and has more powers than the NC Governor. The NC Governor's office is one of the weakest in the country. So there is more that could be taken away in a potential power grab in Wisconsin than there was in NC.

The reason that Wisconsin has, arguably, the most powerful governor, relative to legislature, in the nation is enshrined in the Wisconsin Constitution.. the line-item veto. And, I don't think this has to do with redistricting. The legislature move a lot of power TO WALKER and away from professional offices. For example, Walker, with the help of the legislature, dissolved a ton of citizen and professional boards in executive agencies that had policy-making power. Vos and Fitzgerald probably regret the sh**t out of that now. In fact, in 2015, they tried to take back those powers, and Walker vetoed the bills. I bet this is more about that... they supercharged Walker to fight the "deep state" in Wisconsin... and now they realize that was a mistake. We'll see.

https://legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/31/vinehout/news/columns/2015/governor-walker-s-vetoes-remove-legislative-oversight/
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #1107 on: November 08, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »

I know Walker has conceded, but has he given a concession speech yet? If not, does he plan to?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1108 on: November 08, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »

Um... Wisconsin doesn't have ballot initiatives. The most they could do is pressure the legislature to pass it and tax it... which, isn't a bad strategy. I don't think it's likely, but it would be popular.

It does have Referendums though, which could be run in every county. For instance, Dane county overwhelmingly passed a Referendum on Tuesday to legalize Marijuana sales in the country, to be taxed and regulated like alcohol.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1109 on: November 08, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »

It does have Referendums though, which could be run in every county. For instance, Dane county overwhelmingly passed a Referendum on Tuesday to legalize Marijuana sales in the country, to be taxed and regulated like alcohol.

That doesn't overturn state law though. But, I'm not sure that Marijuana is unpopular enough with the GOP rank in file for them to care. That's why I think Evers is probably ok trying to work out bi-partisan legalization. I honestly think medical marijuana is likely. Recreational might be a bridge too far, but we'll see.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1110 on: November 08, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »

Hot off the presses.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/democrat-claims-victory-in-assembly-race-after-new-totals-reported/article_78e796be-7547-530c-ad37-0d406677e76b.html
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1111 on: November 08, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »

That doesn't overturn state law though... so state cops could still shut down any dispensaries in Madison... if that's how the GOP wants to roll. I'm not sure that Marijuana is unpopular enough with the GOP rank in file for them to care. That's why I think Evers is probably ok trying to work out bi-partisan legalization. I honestly think medical marijuana is likely. Recreational might be a bridge too far, but we'll see.

If the Referendum in Dane is any indication (>88%), and assuming even modestly proportional statewide support, recreational Marijuana could easily be passed in the state.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1112 on: November 08, 2018, 11:21:22 AM »

That doesn't overturn state law though... so state cops could still shut down any dispensaries in Madison... if that's how the GOP wants to roll. I'm not sure that Marijuana is unpopular enough with the GOP rank in file for them to care. That's why I think Evers is probably ok trying to work out bi-partisan legalization. I honestly think medical marijuana is likely. Recreational might be a bridge too far, but we'll see.

If the Referendum in Dane is any indication (>88%), and assuming even modestly proportional statewide support, recreational Marijuana could easily be passed in the state.

None of the refrenda are binding. It has to go through the legislature.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1113 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »

I know; I know. The point I'm making is that getting a statewide Referendum in 2020 could produce the kind of support that would help Democrats overall.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1114 on: November 08, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »

I know; I know. The point I'm making is that getting a statewide Referendum in 2020 could produce the kind of support that would help Democrats overall.

I don't think the Republicans would stand in the way of a 60% approval. Some would be a lot of them are probably willing if they wouldn't get destroyed for it.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1115 on: November 08, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »

Sounds like the chances of stripping powers from the Governor is increasing.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1116 on: November 08, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »

Has anyone heard about this???

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2018/11/08/wi-election-2018-14th-assembly/
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1117 on: November 08, 2018, 12:11:24 PM »

I'm still hesitant to call this analogous to NC. For many years, the Wisconsin government had a lot of professional, independent agency heads and boards that were not under the direct purview of the governor, such as the DNR. Walker and the GOP booted a ton of those folks and moved their powers to the executive directly. I think this is more regret than power grab.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1118 on: November 08, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »

I'm still hesitant to call this analogous to NC. For many years, the Wisconsin government had a lot of professional, independent agency heads and boards that were not under the direct purview of the governor, such as the DNR. Walker and the GOP booted a ton of those folks and moved their powers to the executive directly. I think this is more regret than power grab.

No, they wouldn't have done this if Walker had stayed in office. if they strip them they'd likely put it back for the next governor, likely Vos who will run in 2022.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1119 on: November 08, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »

It' means that a Democrat actually represents a sliver of Waukesha County. Not sure the last time that happened in the state legislature.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1120 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »

It' means that a Democrat actually represents a sliver of Waukesha County. Not sure the last time that happened in the state legislature.

The suburban erosion is going to turn WI really ugly for Republicans. Western WI doesn't show any notable signs of movement, while Dane and MKE keep growing. If Republicans lose a significant share of their WOW support, which is what keeps them afloat and competitive, I don't see them doing well in the future.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1121 on: November 08, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »

The suburban erosion is going to turn WI really ugly for Republicans. Western WI doesn't show any notable signs of movement, while Dane and MKE keep growing. If Republicans lose a significant share of their WOW support, which is what keeps them afloat and competitive, I don't see them doing well in the future.

The Northern part of the improved for Walker, but not to the level he lost in the burbs. I might look at Walker's swing from 14-18 and population growth this decade by county. I'd be interested to see if there is any correlation.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1122 on: November 08, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »

The Northern part of the improved for Walker, but not to the level he lost in the burbs. I might look at Walker's swing from 14-18 and population growth this decade by county. I'd be interested to see if there is any correlation.

Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1123 on: November 08, 2018, 03:27:30 PM »

#realignment

You have to wonder if a Madison/Milwaukee/WOW coalition represents the distant future of the Wisconsin Democrats.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1124 on: November 08, 2018, 03:28:11 PM »

#realignment

You have to wonder if a Madison/Milwaukee/WOW coalition represents the distant future of the Wisconsin Democrats.

LMAO, that'd be something to witness.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies