Is the American public turning on Israel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:48:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the American public turning on Israel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Is the public turning on Israel?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Is the American public turning on Israel?  (Read 5340 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:57:39 PM »

Is the American public starting to turn on Israel now?
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:13:10 PM »

Seeing the killing of all the Palestinians simply trying to cross a border while Trump and Co. take selfies with the embassy sure doesn't make anyone like Israel more.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:17:47 PM »

Not when both parties are pro-Israel, unfortunately.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:18:32 PM »

It seems like Israel became more polarizing during Bush II's Presidency.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 11:40:59 PM »

For me personally, it was the 2006 Lebanon war that made me look at them more objectively (not that I didn't think I was objective before).
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:42:36 PM »

No, the left is. Obama took it from a fringe position to a mainstream one among that side. But it's still a dramatically minority position.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 11:50:48 PM »

The vast majority of Americans, including Obama, still strongly support Israel, even though many of us don't support the grandstanding prick criminal apartheidist in charge of the country.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:54:51 PM »

Not necessarily. Certainly, the anti-Israel forces on the left have become increasingly magnified in recent years.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:58:42 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2018, 12:10:28 AM by Parrotguy »

If so, then Hamas has won. A terrorist organization has won. What's happening right now is a tactic of a terrorist organization- a smart tactic, exploiting the millions of starved masses that they've been doing nothing to feed (and rather spent all their money on weapons to kill Israeli innocents) to set them against a secure border, cause many of them today, and thus achieve their purpose of making Israel more hated.
For me personally, it was the 2006 Lebanon war that made me look at them more objectively (not that I didn't think I was objective before).

Erm, why? I mean, the occupation of the West Bank has certainly produced some awful results which would and should make people criticize Israel, so why exactly did you start "thinking objectively" when we were engaged against a terrorist organization that sent barrages of missiles to destroy our homes and murder our citizens? Maybe I'm thinking like that because my home was targeted during the 2006 war and my family had to escape in order to be safe, but this doesn't make sense to me.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:06:55 AM »

Not when both parties are pro-Israel, unfortunately.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 12:11:50 AM »

The vast majority of Americans, including Obama, still strongly support Israel, even though many of us don't support the grandstanding prick criminal apartheidist in charge of the country.

This is more or less my position. If that asshole were out of office, I'd be far more supportive of Israel than I am now.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 12:35:26 AM »

If so, then Hamas has won. A terrorist organization has won.

If you are so concerned about this, may be you should consider, at least, slightly reducing the enthusiasm with which you are collaborating with them in achieving this objective?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 12:47:47 AM »

Not necessarily. Certainly, the anti-Israel forces on the left have become increasingly magnified in recent years.

And what about the anti-Israel forces on the right, that gather in huge numbers with tiki torches and chant "Jews will not replace us?"
How "magnified" in just the last 2 years, has this/them become?
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 12:59:58 AM »

And what about the anti-Israel forces on the right, that gather in huge numbers with tiki torches and chant "Jews will not replace us?"

Of course, that's true, but let's not pretend that anti-Israel sentiment on the right and left are comparable; they're not. Focus on the graph on the right.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 01:18:09 AM »

Of course, that's true, but let's not pretend that anti-Israel sentiment on the right and left are comparable; they're not. Focus on the graph on the right.

Simply because one "sympathizes" more with a Palestinian perspective (in the chart), doesn't necessarily mean that one is "anti Israel" (as you say).
I would view "anti-Israel" to be more defined as someone (for example) that was associated with the alt-right, Nazis and white-supremacists screaming derogatory statements about Jews (which also included bigoted signs and Hitler salutes abound).
And I assure you .... the super, vast majority of those scum in Charlottesville were pro-trump, right/GOP "supportive" individuals in our nation (not left).
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 01:24:32 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2018, 01:29:05 AM by ThatConservativeGuy »

Simply because one "sympathizes" more with a Palestinian perspective (in the chart), doesn't necessarily mean that one is "anti Israel" (as you say).
I would view "anti-Israel" to be more defined as someone (for example) that was associated with the alt-right, Nazis and white-supremacists screaming derogatory statements about Jews (which also included bigoted signs and Hitler salutes abound).
And I assure you .... the super, vast majority of those scum in Charlottesville were pro-trump, right/GOP "supportive" individuals in our nation (not left).

Buying the Hamas line and sympathizing with those who wish to see the destruction of Israel is indeed, by any rational definition, anti-Israel. Of course, those at Charlottesville weren't left wingers, but they also weren't conservative, in the American sense, as support for Israel is a fundamental tenet of modern American conservative thought.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 01:48:02 AM »

Buying the Hamas line and sympathizing with those who wish to see the destruction of Israel is indeed, by any rational definition, anti-Israel. Of course, those at Charlottesville weren't left wingers, but they also weren't conservative, in the American sense, as support for Israel is a fundamental tenet of modern American conservative thought.

I assure you that when that poll was taken (in the table), the question asked was not "do you wish to see the destruction of Israel." And then if you answered "yes," then you "sympathize" with the Palestinians in the poll data. Come on .... seriously .... are you being obtuse?

Also, what exactly Charlottesville "was," is highly debatable. But there is no doubt that the world and our nation saw it as Dem on one side, GOP on the other. Liberal on one side, "Conservative" on the other. Anti-trump versus pro-trump, etc, etc.
You may not like it, but that is the truth.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 02:02:17 AM »

I definitely think younger people in America are more opposed to Israel.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 06:15:03 AM »

75 dudes, once, is "huge" numbers?  And you kept defending this point?  So weird.  The left in the US, for whatever reason (my money is on the "we support victims, no matter how horrible they act" reason) has clearly fallen out of love with Israel.  The right creepily loves it too much.  I don't know why some people on the left insist these aren't a fact.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 06:47:50 AM »

75 dudes, once, is "huge" numbers?  And you kept defending this point?  So weird.  The left in the US, for whatever reason (my money is on the "we support victims, no matter how horrible they act" reason) has clearly fallen out of love with Israel.  The right creepily loves it too much.  I don't know why some people on the left insist these aren't a fact.

In my opinion, anyone who claims to love Israel but believes that only Christians can go to Heaven is automatically insincere in their support of Israel and a raging anti-Semite (among other things).

That description applies to a whole lot of people on the Right, a majority of Republicans, and it's way worse than the typical opinion of Israel by liberals and Democrats.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 07:18:47 AM »

In my opinion, anyone who claims to love Israel but believes that only Christians can go to Heaven is automatically insincere in their support of Israel and a raging anti-Semite (among other things).

That description applies to a whole lot of people on the Right, a majority of Republicans, and it's way worse than the typical opinion of Israel by liberals and Democrats.

Like this: Pastor (Robert Jeffress) Who Said Jews Are Going to Hell Led Prayer at Jerusalem Embassy Opening

Or this: Pastor John Hagee, the founder of Christians United for Israel, delivered the benediction. He once called Hitler “a hunter” sent by God.

Hagee also said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 07:24:46 AM »

The people that go all in on "it's all God's plan" are very weird (hence the "The right creepily loves it too much." comment I made).  I'm not going to defend all of their reasons for it, but obviously the right supports Israel more than the left in the US.  That's all I'm saying.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »

American public opinion would turn on Israel because of the inevitable consequence of Palestinian violence arising from a Trump decision to move the US embassy to where in fact the Israeli capital is? That seems nutter to me, but then American public opinion up to a point has shown itself to be nutter. After all, it elected Trump.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 07:55:03 AM »

I definitely think younger people in America are more opposed to Israel.

This, I sadly believe is true.

In fairness to young people, some of their concern stems from not wanting to fight a new war in the Middle East.  The reality of the Middle East, however, is that there wouldn't be peace there even if Israel ceased to exist. 
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 08:41:18 AM »

I don’t know that I’ve seen evidence of that, I think it’s just become more partisan because the GOP has become obsessed with being pro-Israel to the point that it makes dumb international moves for domestic reasons, as the last week has shown.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies