California House Races Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 11:51:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California House Races Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Author Topic: California House Races Megathread  (Read 41343 times)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2018, 04:11:58 PM »

New Tulchin Research Poll (D) for CA-49:

Mike Levin (D) 17%
Diane Harkey (R) 15%
Doug Applegate (D) 12%
Sara Jacobs (D) 11%
Rocky Chavez (R) 11%
Paul Kerr (D) 7%
Kristin Gaspar (R) 7%
Brian Maryott (R) 6%

Undecided 13%

Source

I’d be wary of this poll, it’s an internal trying to pose as an independent poll. It was paid by the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, which endorsed Levin, but they make that really hard to decipher.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »

New Tulchin Research Poll (D) for CA-49:

Mike Levin (D) 17%
Diane Harkey (R) 15%
Doug Applegate (D) 12%
Sara Jacobs (D) 11%
Rocky Chavez (R) 11%
Paul Kerr (D) 7%
Kristin Gaspar (R) 7%
Brian Maryott (R) 6%

Undecided 13%

Source

I’d be wary of this poll, it’s an internal trying to pose as an independent poll. It was paid by the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, which endorsed Levin, but they make that really hard to decipher.

Didn't see that, then again all I care is that we have two polls today showing Rocky Chavez falling out of contention with almost all of the Republicans having made up their minds.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2018, 06:28:06 PM »

Today's VBM update from RRH:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's really important to remember that Registered Republican =/= Republican Voter and vice versa for Democrats.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »

It's really important to remember that Registered Republican =/= Republican Voter and vice versa for Democrats.

Yeah. The SUSA poll had 17% of Republicans voting for various dems.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »

I think Sara Jacobs Colonel Doug Applegate can do this!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #180 on: June 02, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »

Looks about right. I think Rouda and Rohrabacher outperform expectations on June 5th at the expense of Keirstead and Baugh respectively.

EDIT: Is there a source for this poll? Can’t find one even on that twitter thread.

I can't find one either.  Mutnick subsequently tweeted:

mencken
« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2018, 06:30:11 PM »

Looks about right. I think Rouda and Rohrabacher outperform expectations on June 5th at the expense of Keirstead and Baugh respectively.

EDIT: Is there a source for this poll? Can’t find one even on that twitter thread.

When did we decide to throw out the rule that internal polls generally have a more favorable result for the candidate that commissioned them? Subtract ~6% is roughly the general rule (see Levin's internal versus the SUSA poll in CA-49 for instance). That would also be more consistent with a high single digits lead for Republicans at this stage in the game (remember Democrats have higher turnout in the general than the jungle primary)

In any case, bad news for Baugh, but I think Keirstead might have more of a fighting chance. It would also be interesting if they included Siddiqui (who has littered Newport Beach with his signs) and Gabbard (who the Democrats have been propping up with mailers)
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »

If that Baugh number is anywhere close to the actual result, safe to say that the DCCC spending money against him has been working.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »

To say the least, this is a sh!tshow. Hopefully we only blow one to two races by making them R vs R instead of 5 or 6. Who knows.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2018, 07:24:51 PM »

Right now, I'm confident that CA-48 will be D vs R.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2018, 08:21:40 PM »

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2018, 08:56:36 PM »

To say the least, this is a sh!tshow. Hopefully we only blow one to two races by making them R vs R instead of 5 or 6. Who knows.

Holy hell you’re dumb

Maybe, but not dumb enough to think that this jungle primary thing is a good idea.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »

Holy hell you’re dumb

Maybe, but not dumb enough to think that this jungle primary thing is a good idea.

There's a decent chance at there being no R vs R runoffs in any of the 8 competitive districts. At most, they'll be 1-2 R vs R's.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2018, 09:51:17 PM »

Some polls have Diane Harkey way up in the Republicans, but I think CA-49 has a real shot at being a D v. D top two, and more of a chance for a D v. D top two than a R v. R top two. Rocky Chavez's campaign has gone about as well as I expected - potent on paper but in reality garnering no enthusiasm (plus he's always been a weak campaigner).
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2018, 10:55:24 PM »

Does Rouda make runoff?
mencken
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2018, 11:00:57 PM »

He is winning the yard sign battle (at least in the southern part of the district). Probably the favorite, although I would not rule out either Baugh or Keirstead yet (or even Siddiqui, who could benefit if Rouda and Keirstead nuke each other).
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2018, 11:06:31 PM »

In the northern part of CA-48, I have seen more Baugh signs than Rouda. I have also seen more Siddiqui signs than Keirstead.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2018, 11:39:42 PM »

In the northern part of CA-48, I have seen more Baugh signs than Rouda. I have also seen more Siddiqui signs than Keirstead.
who wins you think?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2018, 12:54:02 AM »

Keep in mind for this post - I'm comparing the ballots that have actually been returned to the mailed ballots (so far returned ballots look like they're D+11 compared to D+19 to all of the ballots that have been mailed - which means the electorate that has returned ballots so far is 8 points more republican than the general mail in electorate)

On the plus for Democrats - early vote looks great in CA-49 (tied returned ballots even as mailed ballots show an R+5 advantage). This is a great sign because this is a district where the primary fields are wide on both sides and there's potential for both an R v. R lock out and a D v. D lock out, the second is beginning to look more likely here than the first. Things also look pretty good in CA-48 (R+9 returned, R+11 mailed) and (!!!) CA-4 (R+13 Returned and Mailed), both marks are substantially better than the state average and in CA-48's case it might help mitigate the risk of an R v. R race, while CA-4 it might be on the strength of Jessica Morse as a candidate, who has been raising more money than McClintock and been running a strong campaign so far [and my pick for sneaker race should the #BlueWave actually come to fruition). It looks okay/good in CA-10 (D+2 Returned, D+5 Mailed), CA-50 (R+14 Returned, R+19 Mailed) and CA-22 (R+10 Returned, R+15 Mailed).

Minus for Democrats - early vote is dreadful in CA-21 (D+7 Returned, D+19 (!!!) Mailed) and CA-25 (R+8 (!!!) Returned, D+5 Mailed).  Maybe those are because of a lack of a competitive primary in CA-21's case or the lack of risk of a R v. R run-off in CA-25's case, but these might also be slight indicators that Dem enthusiasm is not strong in these areas and they really need to be: CA-21 is Valadao's district and CA-25 is the mythic beast that is Steve Knight's district, a district that kind of hits all of the marks of a super competitive district.

I might be taking too much meaning from these numbers - there's still some time to mail ballots in and then election day.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »

If Newman is recalled in SD-29, would Democrats (like Josh Ferguson) still hold the seat? Or would it flip?
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #196 on: June 03, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »

If Newman is recalled in SD-29, would Democrats (like Josh Ferguson) still hold the seat? Or would it flip?
If he's recalled why would those voters elect another Democrat. Looking at current absentee numbers I think it flips. This should be in the statewide thread though not the congressional one.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »

How hard is it to mail back a freaking ballot? Cali prob has one of the most convenient voting laws in the country and still it's a struggle for people to turn out.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2018, 02:44:02 PM »

How hard is it to mail back a freaking ballot? Cali prob has one of the most convenient voting laws in the country and still it's a struggle for people to turn out.

Californians are Americans and Americans don’t like voting. Tongue
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2018, 02:47:49 PM »

I've been waiting for some clever election official to come up with a scheme where casting a ballot gets the voter a state lottery ticket.

Yeah, I know this is probably illegal because it would be paying someone to vote.  But it would probably boost turnout quite a bit! Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies