Closest county to where you live that you haven't been
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 04:34:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Closest county to where you live that you haven't been
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: Closest county to where you live that you haven't been  (Read 14342 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2023, 09:28:33 PM »

For where I live now? Easily Manassas. Would be Fauqiuer if you don’t count cities.

For my old Colorado home? Morgan. Very close yet never have had a reason to go up there.
Fort Morgan smells awful. Not sure if it smells worse than Greeley, since I've never been to Greeley, but man does it stink.

It doesn't stink nearly as bad as Dalhart, TX though. When I moved from CA to VA, I had spent the previous night in Tucumcari, and when I hit the road I wasn't yet hungry so I planned to stop in Dalhart for breakfast (I was taking a weird route to hit my 4 unvisited states at the time - OK, KS, AR, SC). That smell took my appetite from a 10 to a 0 real fast. Didn't eat anything that day till a late lunch.

Amen about Dalhart stinking. Honestly the whole Panhandle is just terrible...in either state. Had to drive that way once to Colorado Springs...it was nice to go 90+ mph, but my goodness

I still need to hit either Missouri (in earnest, not just an airport) or Arkansas if I want a complete coast-to-coast chain.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2023, 09:30:47 PM »

Never been to Fannin County. I guess that's what the answer to this question would be for me.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2023, 09:42:10 PM »

For where I live now? Easily Manassas. Would be Fauqiuer if you don’t count cities.

For my old Colorado home? Morgan. Very close yet never have had a reason to go up there.
Fort Morgan smells awful. Not sure if it smells worse than Greeley, since I've never been to Greeley, but man does it stink.

It doesn't stink nearly as bad as Dalhart, TX though. When I moved from CA to VA, I had spent the previous night in Tucumcari, and when I hit the road I wasn't yet hungry so I planned to stop in Dalhart for breakfast (I was taking a weird route to hit my 4 unvisited states at the time - OK, KS, AR, SC). That smell took my appetite from a 10 to a 0 real fast. Didn't eat anything that day till a late lunch.

I was in Ft Morgan last Sat to stop at a quilt shop for my wife. I didn't notice anything unusual about the air quality. I've been in the oil fields of Weld county, and I detected none of that in Morgan.
Come to think of it, it's due east of Greeley. Perhaps I just smelled Greeley.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #203 on: July 07, 2023, 10:39:58 PM »

Anyway using all the directions:

North: Limestone
South: Colorado
East: Liberty
West: Burnet
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2023, 04:53:24 PM »

I've driven through Ste. Genevieve County, MO, many times, but I've never stopped anywhere in that county, not for gas, food, bathroom break, or any other reason.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2023, 10:26:03 PM »

Never been to Fannin County. I guess that's what the answer to this question would be for me.

I'm guessing you mean TX. Fanning GA was the last county I visited in that state, and I haven't been to the one in TX yet. Perhaps we should plan a meet up there Wink.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2023, 10:27:16 PM »

I've driven through Ste. Genevieve County, MO, many times, but I've never stopped anywhere in that county, not for gas, food, bathroom break, or any other reason.

But you've clearly been there. If not where were you at that time?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2023, 10:37:36 PM »

I'm guessing you mean TX. Fanning GA was the last county I visited in that state, and I haven't been to the one in TX yet. Perhaps we should plan a meet up there Wink.
Fannin, yeah.
Never been to Georgia!
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2023, 07:17:12 AM »

Huh?!?
To repeat: I have driven through that county many times, but I can never recall any occasion in which I stopped the vehicle, got out, and set foot on the ground there. So what do you mean?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #209 on: July 09, 2023, 07:23:48 AM »

Huh?!?
To repeat: I have driven through that county many times, but I can never recall any occasion in which I stopped the vehicle, got out, and set foot on the ground there. So what do you mean?

I thought you were claiming that Ste Genevieve was the closest county where you've never been. Yet you said that you've been in the county many times, albeit in a car each time. Technically that means you've been there, you just haven't set foot there. That begs the question in the OP as to which is the closest county where you've never been.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #210 on: July 09, 2023, 09:16:53 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2023, 09:51:35 PM by MarkD »

Huh?!?

I thought you were claiming that Ste Genevieve was the closest county where you've never been. Yet you said that you've been in the county many times, albeit in a car each time. Technically that means you've been there, you just haven't set foot there. That begs the question in the OP as to which is the closest county where you've never been.

Okay, then. Since that's the "technical" definition of having been to a county, then I am trying to figure out which of these three counties - I have never even driven through - is the closest to where I currently live: Johnson County IL, Pike County IL, or Dent County MO. Based on driving distance to the county seats, Pike is apparently the closest. But if we're talking about distance "as the crow flies," to the closest edge of those three counties, I am unable to determine which is closer.

EDIT: Scratch Johnson County IL: I realize now that I have driven through that one, on my way back from Polk County. So it has to be either Pike County IL, or Dent County MO.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2023, 09:17:50 AM »

A county that is incredibly close to where I live actually (50 miles or so), Ocean County, NJ. Unless it abuts the Hudson River, the Jersey shore just doesn't do much for the pack. We are still in recovery from the trauma of visiting Ashbury Park. Even worse was driving back through Deal, with its closed off beach (yes, no parking, get off out lawn, and keep Roby's paws off our precious sand!), despoiled by a solid row of new ostentatious McMansions that have replaced what the tides and winds took away. (I bet they still have subsidized wind and flood insurance.) Just awful! We loved Sandy Hook however, albeit Roby had to trespass to get his paws wet (even the park service hates dogs). I wonder how many times I have trespassed with malice aforethought. It's been a lot. But I may curb that habit a bit in Pike County, PA. Too many guys with guns that are not trustworthy, methinks. I think I might leave my Repeal the 2nd Amendment sign in the garage.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2023, 09:56:33 AM »

São Caetano do Sul. I only remember going there once or twice nearly a decade ago.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2023, 09:57:16 AM »

Huh?!?

Okay, then. Since that's the "technical" definition of having been to a county, then I am trying to figure out which of these three counties - I have never even driven through - is the closest to where I currently live: Johnson County IL, Pike County IL, or Dent County MO. Based on driving distance to the county seats, Pike is apparently the closest. But if we're talking about distance "as the crow flies," to the closest edge of those three counties, I am unable to determine which is closer.

That is why God created Google Earth with its ruler utility.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2023, 12:34:34 PM »

Been to East Timor?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2023, 03:05:41 PM »

I had to look at a map for this since Texas has like 1,000 tiny little counties, and yep, there's a tiny little sliver of a county with 5,000 people that nearly borders a small part of Collin up north called Delta County. Never been.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2023, 03:45:09 PM »

Cambria County, PA (166 mi)
Highland County, VA (177 mi)
Pendleton County, WV (177 mi)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2023, 06:26:48 PM »

I had to look at a map for this since Texas has like 1,000 tiny little counties, and yep, there's a tiny little sliver of a county with 5,000 people that nearly borders a small part of Collin up north called Delta County. Never been.

254 counties I think, a stat that is embedded deep within my inner brain, never to be exocised. And Iowa has 99 counties. My grandmother told me that. CA has 58 counties, with considerable population disparity. My brother has climbed to the highest point in all 58 counties. I can claim only about 10 myself, and no that does not include Mt. Whitney. Just not man enough to go there.  Sad

Oh, NYS has 62 cities, a very exclusive club, since no more will be admitted (the last was Rye in 1946). How about that?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2023, 04:20:04 AM »

254 counties I think, a stat that is embedded deep within my inner brain, never to be exocised. And Iowa has 99 counties. My grandmother told me that. CA has 58 counties, with considerable population disparity. My brother has climbed to the highest point in all 58 counties. I can claim only about 10 myself, and no that does not include Mt. Whitney. Just not man enough to go there.  Sad

Oh, NYS has 62 cities, a very exclusive club, since no more will be admitted (the last was Rye in 1946). How about that?

Interesting that the number of cities matches the number of counties in NY. I've been to all of the counties, but I'm not sure I've been to all the cities. That may take some research.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2023, 06:30:13 AM »

The Seneca Rocks/Spruce Knob area is stunning. Great weekend getaway spot. Lots of places to stay at relatively high elevation (3000+ ft) to get out of the summer heat and humidity.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2023, 08:44:27 AM »

Either McNairy County, Tennessee or Lauderdale County, Tennessee
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2023, 11:33:55 AM »

The Seneca Rocks/Spruce Knob area is stunning. Great weekend getaway spot. Lots of places to stay at relatively high elevation (3000+ ft) to get out of the summer heat and humidity.

Oh sorry, you're right -- upon double-checking the map, it's Randolph County, WV, that I haven't been to, while I have been to Pendleton (Seneca Rocks) and Tucker (Dolly Sods) bunches of times each. I do need to pay another visit out there soon...
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2023, 01:53:52 PM »

Turns out this wasn't even true; Chesterfield, SC is closer.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #223 on: August 20, 2023, 01:37:09 PM »

AL is now complete, removing it from the list.

By completing NE, KS, CO and UT I can link to NV and AZ which were already complete. Here's my updated list based on states that I could reach by traveling through completed states.

Lee AR (579 mi)
Lamar AL (696 mi)
Eddy ND (745 mi)
City of Manassas Park VA (747 mi)
Pottawatomie OK (755 mi)
Chatham NC (790 mi)
East Carroll LA (821 mi)
Dewey SD (822 mi)
Fremont WY (1134 mi)
Lincoln, NM (1322 mi)
Blaine ID (1694 mi)
Kern CA (1916 mi)
Harney OR (2067 mi)

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2024, 11:03:06 PM »

My travels through eastern AR and LA push my nearest unvisited county out by over 100 mi. NM was completed last Oct. Here's my updated list based on states that I could reach by only traveling through completed states.

Lee AR (579 mi) Garland AR (686 mi)
Eddy ND (745 mi)
City of Manassas Park VA (747 mi)
Pottawatomie OK (755 mi)
Chatham NC (790 mi)
East Carroll LA (821 mi) Bienville LA (936 mi)
Dewey SD (822 mi)
Fremont WY (1134 mi)
Lincoln NM (1322 mi)
Dickens TX (1431 mi)
Blaine ID (1694 mi)
Kern CA (1916 mi)
Harney OR (2067 mi)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies