What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:38:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Poll
Question: What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?
proud emblem of Southern heritage

reminder of slavery and segregation

whites are superior to blacks

something else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 136

Author Topic: What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?  (Read 49475 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 11:16:21 PM »

I think at this point we should just forget the civil war.  I can't understand why so many people still seem to be so obsessed with it.

As a Canadian, I can't claim to understand American feelings regarding the civil war

I have noticed though that Canadians kind of feel the same way about the War of 1812 as Southernors do about the Civil War. Smiley

Every history textbook in school said that the US won the War of 1812. But once I got the internet, all the Canadians I met claimed that the US lost and the British and by extension Canada was the victors.

I think most historians consider the war a stalemate though, which it largely was.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 11:20:29 PM »

I have noticed though that Canadians kind of feel the same way about the War of 1812 as Southernors do about the Civil War. Smiley

Every history textbook in school said that the US won the War of 1812. But once I got the internet, all the Canadians I met claimed that the US lost and the British and by extension Canada was the victors.

I think most historians consider the war a stalemate though, which it largely was.

I have the same opinion of the War of 1812 as I do of the Civil War, although I'll often jokingly bring up the War of 1812 to tell Americans that they shouldn't mess with Canada. Smiley

I don't really think the War of 1812 had the impact that the Civil War did, though.  I don't know of anyone that hates someone else because of it.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 11:31:02 PM »

Option 1, I guess, though maybe the last option is more appropriate.  Those that think it is racist and equate it to the swastika are ignorant of the pride that many Southerners take in their history.  To many it is not equated with slavery, but rather with those who died for the Southern cause in the Civil War.  Now I'm not a neo-Confederate like States and I don't fly a Confederate flag, but as a Civil War and history buff I do own one.  I view the flag as purely a historical symbol.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2005, 12:42:08 AM »

Option 1, I guess, though maybe the last option is more appropriate.  Those that think it is racist and equate it to the swastika are ignorant of the pride that many Southerners take in their history.  To many it is not equated with slavery, but rather with those who died for the Southern cause in the Civil War.  Now I'm not a neo-Confederate like States and I don't fly a Confederate flag, but as a Civil War and history buff I do own one.  I view the flag as purely a historical symbol.

I'm not a Neo confederate at all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2005, 03:29:23 AM »

It simply means Racism.. so both option one and option two. 

By the way the other day I was out scouting properties for the family and I accidentally drove up a poor pocket - a hollow full of shacks and double wides (there are a lot of those still left among the new high end developments in the suburbs here.)  Anyway I saw a mobile home with a huge confederate flag flying above it.  Who knows what the intent of the owner was, though hatred was very likely a part of the message he wished to send.  Naturally my skin crawled.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2005, 06:03:13 AM »

By the way the other day I was out scouting properties for the family and I accidentally drove up a poor pocket - a hollow full of shacks and double wides (there are a lot of those still left among the new high end developments in the suburbs here.)  Anyway I saw a mobile home with a huge confederate flag flying above it.  Who knows what the intent of the owner was, though hatred was very likely a part of the message he wished to send.  Naturally my skin crawled.

It's nice to know that you're such a model of civility and tolerance.  As I've said before, you're a shining example to disadvantaged minorities who are struggling to better themselves in a hostile society.  Keep patting yourself on the back.  You have contributed much to the world.
MissCatholic

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2005, 06:12:27 AM »

I have 5 flags in my room.  A Canadian one, American, Confederate, Israeli, and Afrikaner.

Of those, the two most valued flags are the Confederate and Afrikaner.  Two oppressed peoples.

You dont have North Koreas, Uzbekistan or Zimbabwes?
MissCatholic

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2005, 06:14:32 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2005, 06:16:09 AM by MissCatholic »

you need to get out more. next time you see one try and talk to them and you will realize that they are just like you.

The people to fear are the people that run away from alchohol or refuse to go into a sex shop. you can talk to them but they live in world that resembels the 19th century.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2005, 06:15:24 AM »

To me, personally -a rather interesting-looking flag of historic value that does not offend me in the least.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2005, 06:24:19 AM »

The people to fear are the people that run away from alchohol or refuse to go into a sex shop. you can talk to them but they live in world that resembels the 19th century.

You're so right.  Alcohol and sex didn't exist in the 19th century.  They are both recent inventions.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2005, 06:36:43 AM »

You're so right.  Alcohol and sex didn't exist in the 19th century.  They are both recent inventions.

Yes, and people who shy away from alcohol and sex shops are so dangerous, like me.
MissCatholic

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2005, 06:40:29 AM »

Christianity only developed into a religion as it allowed people who commited themselves to god to be educated.

Thats why people in the 6th century became monks they had nothing else to do so they just learnt to read. 14 centuries education is available to us all but we still have the brainwashing clinics that twists literature. That was why people were afraid of the reformation in the 16th century becaue anyone can read it and translate it to what they want. we can all get quotes that mean one thing and find another that means the direct opposite.

People are happy without religion yet the religious right have a problem with it.

I go to church twice a week as i enjoy it. I like the stories that people tell and how they affect our lifes today. But we live in the 21st century where people enjoy smoking, drinking, having casual sex and watching a ballgame. PROBLEM? off course we aren't allowed to be happy if we haven't accepted Chirst.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2005, 12:49:10 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2005, 12:51:28 PM by Virginian87 »

Back then, people reproduced by mitosis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and sorry States, what I meant was that you have more of a serious interest in the Confederacy than I do, not that you're an anarchist and want to secede again.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2005, 01:25:02 PM »

People who can't figure out that the Civil War ended 140 years ago, and other people who can't figure out something good to complain about.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2005, 01:36:16 PM »

It's a part of American, though mostly Southern, history. This has been debated to death and I won't add much that hasn't already been said except this: If you love the Southern Flag, then fly it with pride, but don't try to shove the issue down the throat of someone who disagrees with you.

As far as the War of 1812, it was a stalemate as far as the treaty goes, but we did win the last battle, right here in Chalmette, Louisiana.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2005, 02:27:29 PM »

Oh and sorry States, what I meant was that you have more of a serious interest in the Confederacy than I do, not that you're an anarchist and want to secede again.

Do you do any civil war reenacting?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2005, 04:44:06 PM »

Christianity only developed into a religion as it allowed people who commited themselves to god to be educated.

Thats why people in the 6th century became monks they had nothing else to do so they just learnt to read. 14 centuries education is available to us all but we still have the brainwashing clinics that twists literature. That was why people were afraid of the reformation in the 16th century becaue anyone can read it and translate it to what they want. we can all get quotes that mean one thing and find another that means the direct opposite.

People are happy without religion yet the religious right have a problem with it.

I go to church twice a week as i enjoy it. I like the stories that people tell and how they affect our lifes today. But we live in the 21st century where people enjoy smoking, drinking, having casual sex and watching a ballgame. PROBLEM? off course we aren't allowed to be happy if we haven't accepted Chirst.

Are alcohol and sex really related to whether one accepts Christ or not? 

You should tell that to the alcoholic Catholic priests who are sleeping with young boys. Tongue

In all seriousness, one can accept Christ, and also like sex and alcohol.  With sex and alcohol, it is a matter of using them correctly, not avoiding them completely.  Those who attack the Christian position on sex are really arguing that people should use sex and alcohol stupidly, and then push the consequences off onto other people.  That's why I don't agree with them, not for religious reasons.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2005, 05:09:38 PM »

Historical curiosity
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2005, 05:33:21 PM »

Other - a combination

I don't think it's outright racist, but I do think that it is insensitive to blacks.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2005, 05:50:57 PM »

Other - a combination

I don't think it's outright racist, but I do think that it is insensitive to blacks.
This is true, also, N.C. Lib.  I don't find the flag offensive at all, myself.  I know why some blacks would find it offensive, which is why I don't have a Confederate flag (that and there's really no need to have one).  However, I personally don't mind at all if someone else has one; frankly, since the flag is open to so many interpretations, you can't judge a person by the flag bumper sticker they have on their car.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2005, 05:58:40 PM »

you need to get out more. next time you see one try and talk to them and you will realize that they are just like you.

I agree that those people are even worse, missCatholic, though these are two groups that largely overlap.  I have been advocating on this board that they be fed to lions for many months now.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2005, 07:57:21 PM »

Looking at a confederate flag, it seems to mean 'X'.  Tongue
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2005, 09:52:45 PM »

To me the confederate flag is viewed as a symbol for racism.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2005, 10:04:35 PM »

nothing much, except they're probably white and conservative if they own one.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2005, 10:54:38 PM »

Do you do any civil war reenacting?

No, but I have seen reenactments, and it's very interesting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies