AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:55:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31
Poll
Question: Could Martha McSally become the establishment candidate?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?  (Read 65941 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: December 19, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »

McSally being craven and heartless:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2017/12/19/roberts-martha-mcsally-running-flakes-senate-seat-mccains/963501001/

This could backfire bigly. If not because just ceding the nomination for the Flake seat to KKKelli Ward would probably tank Republican chances in both seats.

It's becoming pretty obvious that McSally is waiting for McCain to die and then the governor to appoint her to his seat. There is no other credible excuse as to why she doesn't jump into the primary against Ward and allows her to consolidate the field.
Of course I don't know how happy that makes McConnell and the rest of the establishment who might see Chemtrail Kelli winning the primary and pissing away another seat.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #726 on: December 19, 2017, 01:45:45 PM »

Wow. McSally is truly awful at posturing, to the point that she deserves to lose.

2018 really looks like it could wreck the AZ GOP for generations.
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #727 on: December 19, 2017, 06:12:53 PM »

I was planning on making a post a few days ago to update but it appears I was beat to it.

It was being reported a couple weeks ago that McNally was having "the worst campaign roll out in history" , it has been over a month now since she expressed interest in the senate.
It all makes sense now, knowing she hasn't announced because she is actually eyeing McCains seat, something she should have been doing all along.

I suppose it could be the case that McCain has told McSally that he plans to resign soon, causing a special election in November along with Flake's seat. I say this because at the same time McSally has declined going to any of the AZ02 candidate forums, unusual for an incumbent in such a competitive district.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #728 on: December 19, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »

Wow. McSally is truly awful at posturing, to the point that she deserves to lose.

2018 really looks like it could wreck the AZ GOP for generations.

Pretty much. Between Ward, McSally, and Arpaio - not to mention Ducey's complete inability to triangulate - next year might legitimately be the AZGOP's deathblow.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #729 on: December 19, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »

I was planning on making a post a few days ago to update but it appears I was beat to it.

It was being reported a couple weeks ago that McNally was having "the worst campaign roll out in history" , it has been over a month now since she expressed interest in the senate.
It all makes sense now, knowing she hasn't announced because she is actually eyeing McCains seat, something she should have been doing all along.

I suppose it could be the case that McCain has told McSally that he plans to resign soon, causing a special election in November along with Flake's seat. I say this because at the same time McSally has declined going to any of the AZ02 candidate forums, unusual for an incumbent in such a competitive district.

McCain isn't resigning. As a matter of fact Arizona Republicans are hoping he can survive until August when it will be too late to call a special election and his appointed successor will stay until the 2020 election.
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #730 on: December 19, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »

McCain isn't resigning. As a matter of fact Arizona Republicans are hoping he can survive until August when it will be too late to call a special election and his appointed successor will stay until the 2020 election.

is this Accurate? he was just re elected in 2016, I would think his replacement would still have to undergo a special election.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #731 on: December 19, 2017, 07:26:31 PM »

is this Accurate? he was just re elected in 2016, I would think his replacement would still have to undergo a special election.

The special will be in 2020 and then the regular in 2022.
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #732 on: December 20, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »

Well that didn't go well for McSally, Ducey has now disqualified her from appointment basically. Now she will HAVE to face Sinema in 2018 if she wants to fulfill her senate dreams. Or she will have to wait for a special election. She really should not have told her house colleagues those plans.

https://twitter.com/yvonnewingett/status/943314510386937856
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #733 on: December 20, 2017, 10:56:55 AM »

Well that didn't go well for McSally, Ducey has now disqualified her from appointment basically. Now she will HAVE to face Sinema in 2018 if she wants to fulfill her senate dreams. Or she will have to wait for a special election. She really should not have told her house colleagues those plans.

That was a good call on Ducey's part
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #734 on: December 20, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »

Even by AZGOP standards, this has been an absolute clown car. McSally puts a whole new spin on pathetic.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #735 on: December 20, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »

Let’s be clear here...this also helps Ducey’s re-election plans.

But still, nice job Doug.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #736 on: December 20, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »

Can't we give politicians the benefit of the doubt sometimes Tongue
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #737 on: December 20, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »

Can't we give politicians the benefit of the doubt sometimes Tongue

Yeah, it was a good move by Ducey regardless of his motive.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #738 on: December 20, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »

Assuming he actually plans to follow through on this, major props to Ducey for showing a little bit of basic human decency.  Obviously still wouldn't vote for him, but it's still nice to see folks surprise you by doing the right thing every now and then.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #739 on: December 20, 2017, 12:43:57 PM »

Are we all still sure that this rules out McSally and isn't just saving face for Ducey to not appoint Kelli Ward and innoculate him from any wing-nut wrath?

Ducey would never appoint McSally in any case. His having a shred of integrity doesn't change the fact that he's a a Tea Party businessman and lowkey Trumpist at heart, considerably to the right of what I consider to be the AZGOP veteran base (McCain, McSally, etc.). If anyone, I'd expect him to appoint Biggs or DeWit.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #740 on: December 20, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »

All McSally had to do to get a Senate seat was literally nothing. Congrats, McSally.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #741 on: December 20, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »

So we pretty much all agree that Senator Sinema is likely come January 2019?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #742 on: December 20, 2017, 03:17:21 PM »

All McSally had to do to get a Senate seat was literally nothing. Congrats, McSally.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #743 on: December 20, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »

ugh. wish it was staunton.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #744 on: December 20, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »

ugh. wish it was staunton.

The issue with Stanton is that he's very much of the Clinton/Kaine mold - that is, boring as dick. Sinema is a political centrist herself, but she's at least got charisma.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #745 on: December 20, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »

I really hate talking about this issue but it can't be ignored but if McCain does pass away before November and both seats are up. Who is the likely noms in those races and what are the odds of spilting ticket vs a dems picking up both
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #746 on: December 20, 2017, 11:10:31 PM »

I really hate talking about this issue but it can't be ignored but if McCain does pass away before November and both seats are up. Who is the likely noms in those races and what are the odds of spilting ticket vs a dems picking up both

Splitting senators would be extremely unlikely. Hasn't happened since 1966 and there was far more ticket splitting back then.

That said, I fully expect both parties to have contingency plans ready for the McCain seat. It'd be stupid not to. I hope Dems don't settle on Stanton. He does seem really boring without a moving story

Nah, Stanton's a really strong candidate, much better than Sinema as a matter of fact.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #747 on: December 20, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »

Splitting senators would be extremely unlikely. Hasn't happened since 1966 and there was far more ticket splitting back then.

That said, I fully expect both parties to have contingency plans ready for the McCain seat. It'd be stupid not to. I hope Dems don't settle on Stanton. He does seem really boring without a moving story

Nah, Stanton's a really strong candidate, much better than Sinema as a matter of fact.

He looks that way on paper, but he really is desperately uninspiring. Plus, there have been mayoral-level issues the Republicans could easily use against him. Gallego and Friese would both do better, I think.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #748 on: December 20, 2017, 11:20:25 PM »

What about Mark Kelly?
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #749 on: December 21, 2017, 01:45:31 AM »

He'd be a no-brainer, but I don't think Kelly is interested in anything other than his family at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies