AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:58:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31
Poll
Question: Could Martha McSally become the establishment candidate?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: AZ-SEN Class 1: Kelli or not-Kelli?  (Read 64051 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:52:03 AM »
« edited: December 21, 2017, 09:52:11 AM by Brittain33 »

Trump ultimately decided against donating $10m to a primary challenger, but Flake needs to watch his back.

https://tinyurl.com/y7xyxdoz
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »

"Property magnate." Just because he hasn't yet doesn't mean he won't.
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »

I could still see it happening if Jeff Dewitt gets in, McCain did an excellent job (as he always does) at defining his opponents before they have a chance to do it themselves, which is how Ward got the "crazy lady" label
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »

If Flake goes down in the primary and the nomination goes to Ward or DeWit (if he decides to run), I could very well see this race becoming a tossup.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:28:03 AM »

Apparently the Trump team is talking to potential challengers for Flake:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 11:03:19 AM »

Obviously the Dems best chance for a pick-up in AZ would be if Flake goes down in the primary the the GOP sends up some Tea-Party hack.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »

Any news about Jeff DeWit
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »

Flake tweets his support for one of his Democratic opponents, who is Muslim and is being harassed.

Jeff Flake @JeffFlake
Hang in there @deedra2018. Sorry you have to put up with this. Lots of wonderful people across AZ. You'll find them.

https://twitter.com/jeffflake/status/887490249013825536
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 10:49:47 PM »

Flake tweets his support for one of his Democratic opponents, who is Muslim and is being harassed.

Jeff Flake @JeffFlake
Hang in there @deedra2018. Sorry you have to put up with this. Lots of wonderful people across AZ. You'll find them.

wtf i love flake now
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »

Jeff Flake @JeffFlake

wtf i love flake now
God damnit. Why does one of our only pickup opportunities have to be such a nice guy?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 02:31:15 AM »

If you want to support a real Tea Partier, please don't pick one of the awful ones like Brewer or Salmon. I'd suggest you go with Ben Quayle.

Jeff Flake @JeffFlake

wtf i love flake now
God damnit. Why does one of our only pickup opportunities have to be such a nice guy?
I'd like to see him become what McCain should have been.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 09:32:14 AM by Fearless Leader X »

Jeff Flake @JeffFlake

wtf i love flake now

Wait... people actually believe this s***?  Flake is objectively one of the single worst human beings in the Senate.  He's pretty obviously doing this as a cheap political ploy to get people to react exactly the way you guys just did Tongue  This isn't Ben Sasse or Tom Coburn we're talking about, Flake's not a right-winger who still seems like a fairly decent guy despite some awful political views.  We're talking about someone who wrote the mother of a Newtown victim a supposedly hand-written letter in which he expressed support for universal background checks and then once he'd soaked up a bunch of good press for being a "compassionate conservative" or whatever proceeded to vote to filibuster Manchin-Toomey and denied ever saying he supported any form of background checks (and started bouncing all over the place once he got called out on this).  I mean, Flake could've just respectfully talked about why he opposes background checks while still acknowledging the mother's loss.  Instead, he behaved like a monster.

Then there's the fact that Flake testified in support of the Apartheid government of South Africa (albeit not its racial policies, but even so) while a lobbyist for a Namibian uranium mine and testified in opposition to US sanctions on against the Apartheid government by essentially claiming that the South African groups that called for the international community to place economic sanctions on the Apartheid regime simply didn't know what was good for them.  And of course, who can forget Flake's classic answer to his AZ-6 constituents when asked why he was breaking his term-limits pledge: "I lied."

Oh and before anyone calls him a NeverTrump Republican, he made it pretty clear in 2016 that his issue with Trump was that he thought Republicans were throwing away an easily winnable election.  After Trump won, Flake would jubilantly talk about how happy he was to be "eating crow" and never really criticized Trump all that loudly (if at all) once Trump took office.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »

Yeah, Jeff Flake is terrible. The only reason he "stands up" for the Muslim Democrat is because:

- They have no chance of winning
- Mormons generally sympathize with other religious minorities due to their own history
- He's an occasional showboater
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »

@Kingpoleon I'll probably still support Flake. Just wondering about DeWit since there was so much noise about him
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 01:53:20 PM »

One point of order on Flake and South Africa; besides being a lobbyist for the Nambian uranium mine, he also served an LDS mission in South Africa in the early 1980s, which was still during the Apartheid years. Not excusing anything, but just explaining that he might actually have nostalgia for his mission years in South Africa during that time.

Also, as someone who generally likes seeing Mormons in the House and Senate, Flake is one of the few I'd happily see booted out of office because he's not the greatest.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 12:34:18 AM »

Jeff Flake @JeffFlake

wtf i love flake now

Wait... people actually believe this s***?  Flake is objectively one of the single worst human beings in the Senate.  He's pretty obviously doing this as a cheap political ploy to get people to react exactly the way you guys just did Tongue  This isn't Ben Sasse or Tom Coburn we're talking about, Flake's not a right-winger who still seems like a fairly decent guy despite some awful political views.  We're talking about someone who wrote the mother of a Newtown victim a supposedly hand-written letter in which he expressed support for universal background checks and then once he'd soaked up a bunch of good press for being a "compassionate conservative" or whatever proceeded to vote to filibuster Manchin-Toomey and denied ever saying he supported any form of background checks (and started bouncing all over the place once he got called out on this).  I mean, Flake could've just respectfully talked about why he opposes background checks while still acknowledging the mother's loss.  Instead, he behaved like a monster.

Then there's the fact that Flake testified in support of the Apartheid government of South Africa (albeit not its racial policies, but even so) while a lobbyist for a Namibian uranium mine and testified in opposition to US sanctions on against the Apartheid government by essentially claiming that the South African groups that called for the international community to place economic sanctions on the Apartheid regime simply didn't know what was good for them.  And of course, who can forget Flake's classic answer to his AZ-6 constituents when asked why he was breaking his term-limits pledge: "I lied."

Oh and before anyone calls him a NeverTrump Republican, he made it pretty clear in 2016 that his issue with Trump was that he thought Republicans were throwing away an easily winnable election.  After Trump won, Flake would jubilantly talk about how happy he was to be "eating crow" and never really criticized Trump all that loudly (if at all) once Trump took office.
Oh no, Flake is terrible, I was just memeing.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »

Jeff Flake @JeffFlake

wtf i love flake now

Oh no, Flake is a garbage person. I was just memeing.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »

Kyrsten Sinema is leaning towards running.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/656154?unlock=OIF8WP7IRDLUSJVP
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »

Really good! Flake is using the great strategy of pissing off Democrats and Republicans. Maybe Trump's friends will run ads against him as well.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 09:10:41 AM »

Go, go Sinema!
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2017, 07:24:12 PM by Birch Bayh 2020 »

One of the best Democrats in the house. Sinema would be an excellent Senator.

I recant.

Stanton would be an infinitely better candidate.  I'm not sure why folks want Sinema to run and potentially blow one of our few good opportunities to pickup a Senate seat this cycle.

Gay atheists today, gay atheists tomorrow, gay atheists forever!

While not ideal for a statewide candidate in Arizona, being a gay atheist is hardly the most troubling baggage Sinema has, for example:

- She's former Green Party member who worked for Nader's campaign in 2000 and then as soon as she decided to run for a swingy house district conveniently decided that she was always a centrist all along (b/c that doesn't make her look like a soulless flip-flopper or anything Roll Eyes )

- Sinema used to be a spokeswoman for a group that was literally founded to support Palestinian terrorist groups during the first Intifada (btw, Sinema has a long history of advocating anti-Israel policies and generally being an apologist for groups like the PLO, idk if this remained the case after she got elected to Congress though)

- Sinema also co-founded a group that called military action against Al-Qaeda "an inappropriate response" to 9/11.

- Back when she was a State Rep, Sinema referred to stay-at-home moms as "women who act like staying at home, leeching off their husbands or boyfriends, and just cashing the checks is some sort of feminism."

I mean come on, the attack ads write themselves.  You don't even need smears to make a compelling argument that Sinema has no business being in the Senate.  I might even vote third-party if she were the Democratic nominee and I lived in Arizona, tbh.  If Sinema runs then she'll be one of those candidates who seems like a solid recruit until they win the nomination and then suddenly implodes in spectacular fashion.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 09:50:23 AM »

I'm surprised Flake is putting himself out on such a limb. He's doubling down on his criticism of Trump by releasing this book. Either he thinks of himself as making a sacrifice for the better of his party, or he doesn't care.

Sinema seems like a good fit for Arizona at-large. She's young and from a semi-competitive district.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »

Go Sinema! Smash whichever MAGA Chud primaries Flake!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »

I'd be alright with Sinema so long as she doesn't veer into SJW territory. Obviously I want a Republican for political reasons but Sinema isn't a bad choice.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »

Stanton would be an infinitely better candidate.  I'm not sure why folks want Sinema to run and potentially blow one of our few good opportunities to pickup a Senate seat this cycle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies