Favorite recent post by the previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 06:54:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite recent post by the previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 74
Author Topic: Favorite recent post by the previous poster  (Read 80197 times)
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: January 11, 2018, 12:20:36 AM »

TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #501 on: January 11, 2018, 12:25:05 AM »

It seems like this board is really tense and hot headed right now, so imma stir a evil brew of kindness and see what comes up! Smiley

Now go!

Good on you for trying to spread some kindness on the forum Smiley.
Sunmerican Dream.
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #502 on: January 11, 2018, 12:36:11 AM »

Cagle is awesome
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #503 on: January 11, 2018, 12:37:39 AM »

1. Democrats, in my view, no longer support policies that strengthen our national defense (i.e. many democrats support cuts to the Defense budget without analyzing what actually needs to be cut, democrats only take positions on foreign policy based on whether or not it benefits them electorally)
2. I am supportive of inclusive and pro-equality values in society, but many progressives and democrats go way too far by promoting SJW-Culture (i.e. ranting about white privilege, engaging in oppression olympics etc...)
3. Democrats, in my view, no longer support the US-Israel Relationship in the same regard as they had done historically. Some elements even engage in blatantly anti-Israel rhetoric and policies. And there are even some who engage in antisemitic behavior and/or encourage antisemitic behavior.
4. The Democratic Party is vehemently pro-choice. So pro-choice that they try and purge pro-life democrats from their ranks.
5. Democrats claim to support human rights but have lately had flawed or conflicting views on opposing international human rights abusers like Iran, Turkey, and radical elements of Palestinian society.
6. Democrats claim to support indigenous rights but clearly pick and choose which ones they think are more "worth supporting." (i.e. where have democrats been on supporting Kurdistan?)
7. Democrats and I are completely opposed to each other on many economic issues, such as taxes, where I am very conservative and oppose progressive tax systems. I'd say, specifically, that democrats' stances on the environment and taxes are areas where I am very much opposed to them.
8. Democrats have become much too anti-Gun rights for my tastes.
9. While I am not a leftie on economic issues, I find that today's democrats have become much more elitist then they would care to admit. They have been isolating their historically pro-Labor union base with out-of-touch elements from areas like the Bay Area or NoVa dictating policy positions.
10. Traditionalists and religious people have been increasingly isolated from the Democratic Party.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #504 on: January 11, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »

kyc0705

« Reply #505 on: January 11, 2018, 05:34:02 PM »

I'm not even sure Greedo is a "troll" in the regular sense; the posts that could be classified as trolling could also just be words typed out in anger, hence his imperfect spelling and grammar.

Of course, he does seem to have a tendency to derail threads, though whether or not it's on purpose is up for interpretation.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #506 on: January 11, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »

brb, i'm flying back to my birth country that i haven't been in since i was a toddler and i'm going to run for office just by flashing my birth certificate around
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #507 on: January 11, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »

This thread has been rated R. Prepare for a deluge of blue avatars to overwhelm it.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »

Bashar Al Assad has nothing to do with the ability to govern the state of Ohio.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #509 on: January 15, 2018, 05:33:09 PM »

What is your vision for healthcare in Lincoln?

I believe that there should be a public option that anyone can join with no restrictions. Other insurance companies would compete against this plan. This would reduce healthcare costs and increase competition. Insurance companies would not be forced to insure anyone with preexisting conditions or be legally required to cover things such as drugs or services. The public option would always cover all these things and would be free or at a reduced cost for those who qualify.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #510 on: January 19, 2018, 01:13:44 AM »

UK: David Miliband, in a Lib-Lab majority coalition government
France: Benoit Hamon
Netherlands: Buma, in coalition with more left-wing parties
Canada: Justin Trudeau
Spain: Jose Sanchez
Austria: Christian Kern, SPD-Green coalition government
NZ: Jacinda Ardern, majority government

Buma really is the odd one out in this list. The CDA really isn't a centrist party anymore. They always tilted slightly to the right anyway, the #1 rule was that they'd govern with the VVD (right) if possible and with the PvdA (left) only if necessary. And most of their most centrist leaders only shifted to the left after they left office. I don't think anyone saw Lubbers or van Agt as anywhere near left-leaning back in the 70s and 80s.
I have a soft spot for the CDA even though I am center-left. (For instance, I am stridently opposed to abortion-on-demand, and am opposed to euthanasia)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #511 on: January 19, 2018, 01:25:25 AM »

Well what is 'religion' and what is a 'better person'?

I think that adherence to some principle (call it a religion if you will) beyond one's self, particularly the emotional response of the moment, generally tends to make people better even when that principle is wildly flawed. I think the submission of one's will pulls people back from the sort of individualistic abyss characteristic of modern society. I also think that in order to fully appreciate a principle, it is usually necessary to suffer for it. And principles are not simply entities that live in some abstract ideal world but directives about how we make every decision and treat every interaction with every other person we encounter throughout the world. And it's more than simply changing actions; it's an interior conversion of will. These sorts of things help to build virtue and help us to better exemplify the nature of our personhood (i.e. become better people).

Of course that's not all I believe. While the above describes some effects of the natural components of religion, there is also a supernatural component to religion. I believe God is real and He loves us. He created us in his image and likeness, but humanity is in a fallen state due to sin, a penalty beyond our ability to satisfy. So he sent his Son to save us from our sins by dying for us. The point was to restore us from the fall, to be as we were created to be, so in that sense it was to make us better people. But there is an irreducibly supernatural component to it all. According to Christianity--both Catholics and Protestants agree--this salvation cannot be attained through personal merit on our part but through Christ's sacrifice and grace. But simply to claim belief also isn't enough, we have to actually follow through and become better people rather than just claiming it. We haven't always done the best at that. I know I haven't. And there's the catch.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #512 on: January 19, 2018, 01:31:45 AM »

Today at 05:00:17 pm
in Re: House Bipartisan Sex...
by KingSweden

Now that's what I call reaching across the aisle!
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #513 on: January 19, 2018, 02:27:19 AM »

Biden and Sanders will essentially be tied for the lead, with Warren in a close third, and Booker/Gillibrand tied for a distant fourth.
And this will remain how it is until late this year/early next year.
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #514 on: January 19, 2018, 03:23:24 AM »

Can one of the Nevadans shed a bit of light on why Democrats don't have stronger candidates here? In particular, I'm thinking about fmr. SecState Ross Miller, whose loss in 2014 I've heard described as "accidental" (due to there not being a real Democratic candidate at the top of the ticket). Or to a lesser extent, other past row officers / 2014 row officer candidates who lost for similar reasons but were otherwise pretty strong, like Kate Marshall and Kim Wallin. Seems to me like they'd have stronger name rec / more compelling resumes than the two County Commissioners, but I understand that Clark County is massive and the role that Sisolak / Giuwhatever hold is probably pretty influential.

Compared to most states, the Dem bench really isn't that bad, just that there's no star A tier candidate, aside from Ross Miller, who is doesn't seem interested in running for anything anymore (his CD has been an open seat for 2 cycles now and declined both times, also declined to run for Lt. Gov). Kate Marshall, who has lost two elections in a row, is running for Lt Gov and Majority Leader Aaron Ford is running for AG. As for Wallin, she got like 40% of the vote IIRC in 2014. Also worth noting that all the candidates that aside from Marshall are also from Las Vegas, so they'd have the same problem as Sisolak/Giunchigliani have in that have no extra appeal to Washoe County.

With that said, the 2014 disaster is definitely hurting the bench in the long run. Look at my CD, NV-03. Susie Lee lost the clown car Dem primary in NV-04 in 2016 but is running for the open race and has raised like 300K and is basically the establishment candidate. Jack Love is also in and is a former insurance agency owner and favors Medicare for All and may be a bit to the districts left.  
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #515 on: January 19, 2018, 07:09:05 AM »

GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #516 on: January 19, 2018, 07:48:14 AM »

Trans Rights Are Human Rights
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #517 on: January 19, 2018, 10:38:25 AM »

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #518 on: January 19, 2018, 10:42:09 AM »

Campaigning for State House, in anticipation of running for Govanah in 2034. Duh.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #519 on: January 19, 2018, 10:44:32 AM »

The GOP was wrong for their role in the shutdown during the Obama years.

The Democrats will be to blame for this one.  As the Dreamers are not American citizens, it is unconscionable that the Democrats would allow a government shutdown on their behalf.

Ah, yes, that is just the way to let immigrants feel like they're not 2nd grade subhumans Smiley
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #520 on: January 19, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »

I'll give both of them credit for seemingly ignoring this thread. I knew jfern was good at ignoring BRTD's baiting, but I didn't know that BRTD would ignore bait.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #521 on: January 19, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #522 on: January 19, 2018, 01:10:42 PM »

The next President was not elected or reelected in 1978.

I’m too lazy to check out Reuben Askew’s page to confirm whether or not he’s disqualified.

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #523 on: January 19, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »

Sad. Now we only 999 centrist posters from Virginia.
VirginiaModerate was an enlisted soldier, so he provided a unique perspective on the forum.
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #524 on: January 19, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies