do you use Google? and why?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:12:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  do you use Google? and why?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: do you use Google?
why do you use Google?
haha, I don't even use Google

I use Google because I don't even know about other search engines

I use Google because the other search engines are worse

I use Google because that's just what my browser uses by default

I use Google for non-stated reasons (please explain)

I believe Google has a search monopoly and the govt should do something about it

I believe Google has a search monopoly and the govt should NOT do something about it

I do not believe Google has a monopoly with online search engines

I'm not smart enough to know or I'm too smart to care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: do you use Google? and why?  (Read 393 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2023, 04:56:01 PM »

first monopoly trial in decades for the US starts today against Google
The United States government is taking on one of the world's most powerful companies: Google.

A court battle kicks off on Tuesday in which the U.S. Justice Department will argue that Google abused its power as a monopoly to dominate the search engine business. It's the government's first major monopoly case to make it to trial in decades and the first in the age of the modern internet.

The Justice Department's case hinges on claims that Google illegally orchestrated its business dealings, so that it's the first search engine people see when they turn on their phones and web browsers. The government says Google's goal was to stomp out competition.

"This lawsuit strikes at the heart of Google's grip over the internet for millions of American consumers, advertisers, small businesses and entrepreneurs beholden to an unlawful monopolist," said former Attorney General William Barr when the case was first filed in October 2020.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 07:48:10 PM »

DuckDuckGo's "bang" function is useful enough that I prefer to use that as my default search tool. I still use Google search occasionally and use a number of other Google tools and devices.

In general, I view anti-trust action toward tech monopolies favorably and think it should be used much more aggressively.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 09:13:52 PM »

I don’t use the internet.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 10:02:58 AM »

Imagine using "Bing" Huh
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 10:09:51 AM »

Google has the best search engine.

Microsoft Bing is hot on it's trail.

There are a few key features of Google which allow it to provide better results.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 10:35:01 AM »

My default search engine on my personal laptop is Bing, but Google on my phone and work computer. My mom worked at Microsoft for most of my life, so I've always tended towards Microsoft products. But each has their strengths. Google searches are easier to filter, Bing's AI is the best free AI generator I've used, Google Earth is obviously awesome (bet most people don't know there's a Microsoft competitor called Earth View, formerly Virtual Earth, such was pretty comparable in quality in the early days).
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 02:35:48 PM »

One of these days I'm going to ditch Chrome and switch to Firefox with DuckDuckGo or something, but not while I have probably close to 200 tabs open across two PCs and my phone that I still need to sort through eventually, not to mention countless bookmarks.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 02:46:04 PM »

I use Google because there was a point where it was well designed for what it's for and so I continue using it out of habit. It's hot garbage these days but I haven't really gotten around to trying its competitors (save for yahoo, which also sucks)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 03:47:47 PM »

I use Google because there was a point where it was well designed for what it's for and so I continue using it out of habit. It's hot garbage these days but I haven't really gotten around to trying its competitors (save for yahoo, which also sucks)

This. I'm lazy and I'm part of the problem. Many such cases.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 01:31:41 PM »

#4 and #8. Google doesn't need to be an actual monopoly though in order to engage in prohibited antitrust behavior, and the government should step in there. There was an episode of The Good Wife that involved two girls who coded some software suing the in-universe equivalent of Google because they tried to sell it to that company who refused, and then that company intentionally changed its search algorithm to bury their program and causing their startup to go bankrupt. However the CEO of Not Google decided that he hated the lawyers more than he cared about the case, and thus offered to just hire them in exchange them for them dropping the case.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 04:46:37 PM »

My PC is a literal Chromebook, and that's out the box.

If I ever upgrade to a more traditional PC, I'll probably use Opera and idk...maybe Ecosia, but I'm not in a hurry.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 04:14:08 PM »

Last time I tried DuckDuckGo a couple years ago it sucked. When it doesn't suck, I will switch. Google is getting worse with every passing year so maybe I should give it a try again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies