Scottish Parliamentary Elections (May 5, 2011)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:45:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Parliamentary Elections (May 5, 2011)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Scottish Parliamentary Elections (May 5, 2011)  (Read 47330 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »
« edited: April 16, 2011, 04:18:35 PM by afleitch »

YouGov

SNP  40/35
LAB  37/33
CON  11/12
LIB   8/7
GRN  -/6

Using ScotlandVotes

Seats: SNP 55, LAB 49, CON 14, LIB 6, GRN 5

This was published on The Scotsman website (who commissioned it) but it was taken down and comments deleted. So I'm sure the figures will be re-churned to give a Labour lead Cheesy
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »

Rumours...Rumours...Rumours.

SNP candidate in Eastwood has apparently conceded that Eastwood is likely to be won by the Tories. Meanwhile the SNP claim to be approaching 30% in canvass returns in Edinburgh Pentlands, that would be up 5% and may help the Tories as it is said the SNP are polling well in Sighthill and Gorgie. SNP also increasingly confident of retaining Cunninghame North and Falkirk West.

Clydesdale is busier than usual; both Labour and the SNP think that if they take a haul of the Lib Dem votes they can win the seat; and they are quite right. Tories also making a pitch.

Less action in Edinburgh Western; Lib Dems more confident of retaining Mary Smith's seat with Corstorphine being a bit of a bastion for them in spite of everything; SNP and Labour can't find the votes they need, Tories possibly moving towards Lib Dems. However Lib Dems increasingly likely to fall into 3rd in Aberdeen South and North Kincardine.

-----

A small note on Edinburgh. I have heard from some that the Lib Dems appear to be fairing somewhat better. It is very difficult on the doorstep to find a Lib Dem voter who is sticking with them, so the drop in their own vote is still not certain, however anecdotally, residual Tories dotted around Edinburgh (except in Pentlands naturally) seem to be aware of voting tactically; switchers to the Lib Dems have been noted in Morningside for example which is now in Southern. Labours 'only we can stop the Tory cuts' leaflets don't appear to be going down well with Tory unionist voters who otherwise may have backed Labour to fend off the SNP.

Now, the effect of this depends on a few things. First of all how steep a drop the Lib Dems will suffer and secondly, how many 'not Labour' votes they can aquire where needed. Looking at the raw figures they may even be able to hold onto Central (however Labour are clearly favourites here) if the numbers fall their way.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »

The Scottish Sun will apparently come out in favour of the SNP tomorrow. The paper now sells 100,000 more copies than the Daily Record.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »

lolmorgothpress

(see their cover from the last election for the cause of the laughter)

---

Anyway... so far at least do we seem (the record of Scottish polls being a little dodgy at times - though better than the ones out here, naturally) to be seeing Labour boosted by better Labour turnout, while the SNP benefit from switchers from the national Coalition partners? I mean in crude generalising terms.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »

lolmorgothpress

(see their cover from the last election for the cause of the laughter)

---

Anyway... so far at least do we seem (the record of Scottish polls being a little dodgy at times - though better than the ones out here, naturally) to be seeing Labour boosted by better Labour turnout, while the SNP benefit from switchers from the national Coalition partners? I mean in crude generalising terms.

SNP 2007 votes are going to Labour and 2007 Lib/Con voters are making up for it, and more. Crudely.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »

I think every seat is different; nationally polls are showing a larger number of Lib Dems switching to the SNP for example, and there appears to be a bit of 'churning' when it comes to Tory voters lending their votes elsewhere. On a seat by seat basis the picture is mixed. Bear in mind there may be a residual swing from Labour to the SNP in some seats. Labour are certainly confident of boosting their vote in West Central Scotland making some of those close seats a little safer for them. Outside of this however it's perhaps not going so well. They are struggling to make an impact in Dundee for example. The should hold pile on votes where it's not needed in the Highlands (where the difference between 1997 and 2007 is in some cases quite breathtaking) for example, which will help them in the regional vote. However, to be honest I don't have a clue what on earth is going on!
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2011, 06:05:40 PM »

Eugh.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »

Rumours again.

Some talk of the SNP focusing on Dumbarton where they feel they may be able to oust Jackie Baillie. They are however on the defensive in Kilmarnock.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »

-50 in my estimation marks.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2011, 07:45:25 PM by TheNewTeddy »

Lab = 11%
SNP = 6%
Grn = 3%
Con = 3%
LD = -1%

On Devolution, I agree with the SNP
On Law and Order, I agree with the Tories
On the Economy, I'm closer to the Tories than anyone else it seems
On Healthcare, I'm also closer to the Tories than anyone else it seems
On the Environment I seem to be closest to Labour, partly do to their not taking a stand on anything.
I also seem closest to Labour in Society.
And I'm closest to Labour in Education/Health.

If it's true the SNP is not a radical extreme left party, I'd probably vote SNP. I'm not a fan of Labour at all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »

Never had you down as a fan of the Sun.
Foucaulf
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2011, 07:54:47 PM »

43% SNP, 37% Green, 7% Labour, 6% Libs, -32% Tories...

Until I looked into Salmond's Murdoch links. What a disaster.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Corporate press switching sides for profit's sake I am familiar with. Scottish politics, apparently not.
Would the backing be a reaction to the SNP's success or a sign of the SNP converging to the right?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »

Tongue You knew what I meant...

38% Green, 35% SNP, 5% Labour, 3% Liberal, -39 Tory.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2011, 04:02:11 AM »

43% SNP, 37% Green, 7% Labour, 6% Libs, -32% Tories...

Until I looked into Salmond's Murdoch links. What a disaster.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Corporate press switching sides for profit's sake I am familiar with. Scottish politics, apparently not.
Would the backing be a reaction to the SNP's success or a sign of the SNP converging to the right?

Every politician has 'Murdoch links'; i.e meetings. How else did Labour secure their support for over 10 years. The Grauniad is just being cheeky. To be fair the SNP have had the backing of the Sun before in 1992 as a tactical move. It has never had the endorsement of any other newspaper.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2011, 04:49:19 AM »

There is really a newspaper called "The Grauniad"?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2011, 05:45:54 AM »

There is really a newspaper called "The Grauniad"?

No. It's The Guardian Smiley It's just nicknamed the 'Grauniad' because in the days of type setting, the paper was known for spelling mistakes, including calling itself the Grauniad on more than one occasion.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2011, 05:54:16 AM »

My compass:

51% Green
38% SNP
5% Lib Dem
1% Labour
-52% Conservative
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2011, 02:18:58 PM »

'Scottish' 'Christian' 'Party' party election broadcast may have just broken the law...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »

'Scottish' 'Christian' 'Party' party election broadcast may have just broken the law...

What for?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2011, 03:14:33 PM »

What for?

It was a 5 minute anti-gay rant, the language of which was not chosen well enough not to fall foul of broadcasting standards.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:57 PM »

The Christian Party are a joke.

Absolutely nothing positive about them, just ban this and ban that, and the one thing that is banned - the death penalty - they want reinstating. Funny that.

At least with the Christian Peoples Alliance their religiousity has inspired an element of social justice to go along with their strong social conservatism, but the Christian Party really are just hateful scum.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »

They even want to ban the Welsh flag!
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »

Yes, on account of the dragon. Why not just stick on Jesus on a saddle like they do with dinosaurs Smiley

The best line of the ''we want tolerance'' political broadcast was "the tolerance of homosexuality should be illegal" and then a giant picture of Bishop Devine.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »

I'm a little surprised by my results.

Conservative 37%
Lib Dem 10% Surprise
Labour 1%
SNP 0%
Greens -16%
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »