Afghan government collapse.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:42:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Afghan government collapse.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30
Poll
Question: Will the Afghani people be worse or better off with the US leaving ?
Better

Worse

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 127

Author Topic: Afghan government collapse.  (Read 29080 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2021, 01:48:35 AM »

We were all waiting for the helicopter-in-Saigon photo. Here it is.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2021, 01:55:18 AM »

We were all waiting for the helicopter-in-Saigon photo. Here it is.

When this is all over, Ken Burns should create a documentary about our involvement in Afghanistan not unlike his original 'The Vietnam War' film that came out on PBS in 2017.  
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2021, 03:00:21 AM »

South Vietnam really put up more of a fight.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2021, 03:15:54 AM »

Which, of course, is precisely why panicked calls to ‘do something’ and somehow prop the situation up make no sense. There is nothing to prop up anymore.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2021, 03:41:13 AM »

China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Belarus, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Pakistan, the Russian puppet states, Myanmar, Syria initially and fairly quickly. Then most of the other oppressive governments out there, and some of the less scrupulous semi-democracies and democracies.

It would be nice to be wrong, but I doubt it.

Reasonable chance that there is - at least for a time - a bizarre echo of Afghanistan's situation after the Second Anglo-Afghan War, with Pakistan taking the place of the Raj and setting Afghanistan's foreign policy for it.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Yeah, as long as Pakistan was providing aid and support to the Taliban the 2% chance of things working out was cut in half.

Once we evacuate everyone we should evacuate - as many Afghans as we can - and leave entirely, can we at least cut off all aid to those treacherous Pakistani snakes?
Pakistan's position is more or less delicate management of Afghanistan-Pakistan relations (a good offense is the best defense) through any means it feels are necessary, even if that means getting one's hands messy and doing things that might look hard to justify to an outward observer.
Not that I expected anything besides misinformed views from most Americans on this issue.
Reality tends to be nuanced. Pakistan is in a tough neighborhood. I suggest you read up on the history of the Durand Line and consider the difficulties Pakistan's geography presents.
Hold on there, are you justifying the actions of the Pakistani government as a whole and the ISI in particular in Afghanistan? Because they have indirectly and directly lead to the deaths of thousands of Americans and many, many more Afghanis of all stripes. Those are the actions of a hostile power, not one the U.S. should be giving aid to.
I know damn well about Pakistani geography issues. There were plenty of articles about Pakistani needs for strategic depth versus India as well as the artificial nature of the border with Afghanistan. I can see their desire for a friendly power in Afghanistan.
But Pakistan didn’t have to choose to support the most brutal and extreme Afghani factions, now did they? They chose to support Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, and then the Taliban. They chose to give aid and refuge to both the Taliban and Al-Qaida. They chose to send their own military against Ahmad Shah Massoud, the one Afghani leader who actually wanted something better for the Afghani people.
As long as the U.S. was dependent on the logistical supply chain through Pakistan little could be done about any of this. But that’s coming to an end.
So why in the hell should the U.S. give a penny to Pakistan after they leave the region? They’re not even our ally, but China’s!
A lot of people on this forum want the U.S. to cut ties with Saudi Arabia. There’s at least as good of a case to do so with Pakistan.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2021, 03:59:21 AM »

There seem to be conflicting reports about whether the Taliban is actually inside Kabul or has stopped at the outer limits, but the Taliban released this statement.

Not entirely clear what the 'transition' means, except giving foreigners and officials time to flee.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2021, 04:21:13 AM »

This is objectively pretty disastrous, but ngl - the neocon screams and tears are a consolation.
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2021, 04:22:32 AM »

The Taliban are now entering Kabul from all directions. They encountering no resistance. This is history in the making. Here is a Twitter video I found of them peacefully marching through the streets of Kabul:

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2021, 04:24:30 AM »

You almost sound pleased, do you actually support these monsters?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2021, 04:51:32 AM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2021, 05:02:23 AM »

Looks like it's over:

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2021, 05:06:15 AM »

British Parliament is being recalled next week over all this.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2021, 05:19:28 AM »

An unnamed Taliban official is saying they will allow foreigners to leave through the airport and foreigners wishing to remain in Afghanistan will have to register with the new government. Good news if true. Unfortunately, something tells me the same doesn't apply to any local Afghans who also want to leave.

One thing I'm curious about is how relations will be conducted between western states and the Taliban going forward. I assume we'll just work through some friendly country like Qatar or Pakistan and won't have our own embassies in Kabul? How did it work in the 90s, if anyone remembers?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2021, 05:22:25 AM »

British Parliament is being recalled next week over all this.

Almost the ultimate pointless gesturing.

About the one useful thing it could do is agree to let in any anti-Taliban Afghans who want to come here (I don't suppose it will surprise anyone that the sociopaths in the Home Office oppose this)
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2021, 05:42:01 AM »

Good to know it's not just the US who are being dicks about this.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2021, 05:46:40 AM »

Said bureaucratic mentality is much the same everywhere, alas.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2021, 05:46:48 AM »

I guess it is like what they say about going bankrupt: “Gradually, then suddenly.”
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2021, 05:49:10 AM »

While searching for live coverage, I came across this Afghan news stream that seems to still be operating as usual, although I obviously don't speak Pashto to know for sure. I don't know if it's based in Kabul or somewhere outside of the country, but it might be an interesting feed to check in on today to see the state of independent/private media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzm6t6mIbTM
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2021, 05:49:47 AM »

My comparison is pro-USSR Republic of Afghanistan government.  Even after the USSR troops pulled out they continued to exist although with smaller and smaller areas of control.   The held out for 3 more years and only fell when all USSR aid disappeared as USSR itself disappeared at the end of 1991.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2021, 05:55:56 AM »

While searching for live coverage, I came across this Afghan news stream that seems to still be operating as usual, although I obviously don't speak Pashto to know for sure. I don't know if it's based in Kabul or somewhere outside of the country, but it might be an interesting feed to check in on today to see the state of independent/private media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzm6t6mIbTM

I am curious when they will switch over to

https://youtu.be/W4jWAwUb63c?t=35
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2021, 05:56:48 AM »

Interesting.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2021, 06:07:16 AM »

My comparison is pro-USSR Republic of Afghanistan government.  Even after the USSR troops pulled out they continued to exist although with smaller and smaller areas of control.   The held out for 3 more years and only fell when all USSR aid disappeared as USSR itself disappeared at the end of 1991.

Actually that government outlasted the USSR itself. But in April 1992 certain "warlord" figures made a deal with the insurgents and withdrew their support - and after that it fell in days with barely a shot being fired, very like now.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2021, 06:13:37 AM »

Interesting.

Its because of

https://www.news18.com/news/world/russia-says-taliban-promised-safety-of-embassy-in-afghanistans-kabul-4088771.html

"Russia Says Taliban Promised Safety of Embassy in Afghanistan's Kabul"

I think Biden had "urged" the Taliban to make similar promises for USA embassy but got no response.  I think the Taliban have learned a lot in their 20 years in the wilderness and most likely will let the USA citizens leave in peace and allow the USA embassy to operate if they choose to stay.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2021, 06:22:48 AM »

Interesting.

Its because of

https://www.news18.com/news/world/russia-says-taliban-promised-safety-of-embassy-in-afghanistans-kabul-4088771.html

How many countries will recognize a Taliban-led Afghanistan?
China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Belarus, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Pakistan, the Russian puppet states, Myanmar, Syria initially and fairly quickly. Then most of the other oppressive governments out there, and some of the less scrupulous semi-democracies and democracies.

Yup.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2021, 06:47:35 AM »

Interesting.

Its because of

How many countries will recognize a Taliban-led Afghanistan?

Yup.

While I think I agree with the rest, I'm not sure about Syria. The bulk of remaining rebel groups in Idlib are very Taliban friendly and will probably recognize the new government. Assad meanwhile does not want to legitimize Sunni Islamist insurgencies. The anti-American/anti-imperialist screw you probably won't be enough to get over that hurdle.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies