2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:35:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33
Author Topic: 2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections  (Read 33178 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: April 04, 2023, 09:33:56 PM »

Good. If they're going to throw a tantrum because their guy didn't win, they're unfit to be a police officer.

They feel that politicians like Dinkins, de Blasio, and now Brandon Johnson don't know what it's like to be a cop and they feel that these politicians support minority lawlessness.

They want mayors and governors who have their backs, like Christie, Pete Wilson, Giuliani, Daley, etc.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #676 on: April 04, 2023, 09:34:28 PM »

Not sure if mentioned already but NYT/AP have dropped the check mark here.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #677 on: April 04, 2023, 09:37:50 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2023, 09:43:55 PM by Benjamin Frank »

I've noticed the folks arguing with me and have stopped replying to my posts once I started posting stats to back me up...

The stats aren't in dispute, it's the interpretation of those facts that are in dispute.

And, obviously, how 'safe' somebody feels is quite subjective.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #678 on: April 04, 2023, 09:39:10 PM »

Good. If they're going to throw a tantrum because their guy didn't win, they're unfit to be a police officer.

They feel that politicians like Dinkins, de Blasio, and now Brandon Johnson don't know what it's like to be a cop and they feel that these politicians support minority lawlessness.

They want mayors and governors who have their backs, like Christie, Pete Wilson, Giuliani, Daley, etc.

If they want the support of the mayor, they have to earn it.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #679 on: April 04, 2023, 09:41:35 PM »

What the police seem to want (in general) are easy to enforce laws like public drug crimes, and not to have to deal with much more complicated things like white collar crime and fraud.

How much of that is due to race is another issue.

k120
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -6.70

P
« Reply #680 on: April 04, 2023, 09:44:30 PM »

While the lesser evil probably won out here, I just don't understand why Chuy was unable to gain any momentum.

Chuy didn't really reach out to the people who supported him before. He allowed Brandon Johnson to run and he allowed a whole bunch of organizations and elected officials to endorse Brandon. I attended multiple forums that Chuy was invited to and didn't show up, though all the other candidates calling themselves progressive did.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #681 on: April 04, 2023, 09:46:27 PM »

Precincts Reported: 1,281 of 1,291 (99.23%)

BRANDON JOHNSON

51.42%

PAUL VALLAS

48.58%

Total Votes
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #682 on: April 04, 2023, 09:47:42 PM »

I'd also think that if 'more guns lead to less crime', that there should be zero crime in the United States by now.

Maybe the police unions should stop supporting gun nut candidates. (Not saying that's the case here.)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #683 on: April 04, 2023, 09:49:26 PM »

What the police seem to want (in general) are easy to enforce laws like public drug crimes, and not to have to deal with much more complicated things like white collar crime and fraud.

Some of it is racial, yes, because a lot of minorities commit a sizeable amount of crime. Dinkins, Johnson and Adams are black mayors and they are not seen as having the police's back, even if they have made concessions to the police. It's not enough for the Italian/Irish ethnic unions that run these big cities.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #684 on: April 04, 2023, 09:50:57 PM »

Some of it is racial, yes, because a lot of minorities commit a sizeable amount of crime. Dinkins, Johnson and Adams are black mayors and they are not seen as having the police's back, even if they have made concessions to the police. It's not enough for the Italian/Irish ethnic unions that run these big cities.

Well, they commit a lot of the crime that they police enforce. That's not the same as to whether they commit a lot of crime (or a disproportionate amount of crime.)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #685 on: April 04, 2023, 09:54:29 PM »

Well, they commit a lot of the crime that they police enforce. That's not the same as to whether they commit a lot of crime (or a disproportionate amount of crime.)

In the big cities, Blacks and Latinos commit a large percentage of violent crime. That's a fact. Whites commit white collar crime. That is fact. That is why stop and frisk targeted Blacks and Latino men in most big cities because that was where most of the violent crime, especially gun violence came from. Fact. That however, does not warrant stop and frisk as S&F is invasive and causes racial tension, but it is factually true.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #686 on: April 04, 2023, 09:55:25 PM »

So much for Paul Vallas
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #687 on: April 04, 2023, 09:56:20 PM »

In the big cities, Blacks and Latinos commit a large percentage of violent crime. That's a fact. Whites commit white collar crime. That is fact. That is why stop and frisk targeted Blacks and Latino men in most big cities because that was where most of the violent crime, especially gun violence came from. Fact. That however, does not warrant stop and frisk as S&F is invasive and causes racial tension, but it is factually true.

This is a very good reason to legalize and regulate all drugs.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #688 on: April 04, 2023, 09:57:11 PM »

Well, pro-crime progressives...have fun.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #689 on: April 04, 2023, 10:08:34 PM »

BRANDON JOHNSON
51.42%

PAUL VALLAS
48.58%

Total Votes

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #690 on: April 04, 2023, 10:23:36 PM »

Have to like cops who get to say “I thought I saw a gun, I felt in danger and had to kill him” when the military doesn’t even allow that.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #691 on: April 04, 2023, 10:26:21 PM »

Can you imagine if the teachers threatened to walk off the job if Vallas won?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #692 on: April 04, 2023, 10:28:23 PM »

>moderate democrat, my son
>yuo are men now
>yu must choose candidate for big, blue city mayoral election
>will you pick genuine democrat who is genuinely moderate
>or obvious republican in democrat's clothing

BRANDON JOHNSON ELECTED MAYOR OF CHICAGO
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #693 on: April 04, 2023, 10:33:38 PM »

Both are equally toxic, abet for different reasons. I hope Chicago gets someone better in 4 years, and I'd feel that way if Vallas won too.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #694 on: April 04, 2023, 10:39:20 PM »

Teachers don't have to strap up and wear bulletproof vests to patrol inner cities where they don't feel appreciated, teachers yes work in dangerous inner cities but rarely get shot like in suburban schools.

Cops have to face down bullets or take bullets to protect ungrateful minority kids in the eyes of a lot of police union bosses and cops, and they feel that liberal mayors don't have their backs or appreciate what they have to see or witness on a daily basis.

Young Black and Latinos don't want to be cops. It's a social stigma attached to the job. Look at the disrespect the slain Latino cop got in Chicago last month, same thing with the slain Latino NYPD cops last year. Who was a majority of the funeral attendees outside the cathedral at those funerals? White ethnics. Not the Latinos and Blacks that they are patrolling.

Vallas should retire; this is not the end of moderate mayoral city candidates, in 2027, you will see a Latino moderate.

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #695 on: April 04, 2023, 10:46:01 PM »

Teachers don't have to strap up and wear bulletproof vests to patrol inner cities where they don't feel appreciated, teachers yes work in dangerous inner cities but rarely get shot like in suburban schools.

Cops have to face down bullets or take bullets to protect ungrateful minority kids in the eyes of a lot of police union bosses and cops, and they feel that liberal mayors don't have their backs or appreciate what they have to see or witness on a daily basis.

Young Black and Latinos don't want to be cops. It's a social stigma attached to the job. Look at the disrespect the slain Latino cop got in Chicago last month, same thing with the slain Latino NYPD cops last year. Who was a majority of the funeral attendees outside the cathedral at those funerals? White ethnics. Not the Latinos and Blacks that they are patrolling.

Vallas should retire; this is not the end of moderate mayoral city candidates, in 2027, you will see a Latino moderate.

You ever type out a response and then go "You know what, maybe I don't want to risk my first ban here"

Totally didn't just happen for me reading this comment
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #696 on: April 04, 2023, 10:46:03 PM »

Johnson’s victory speech was hopeful and an ode to our city. Part of the reason I voted for him - he represents a more hopeful vision than the one Vallas put forward. And, he looks at the city in a way that is more in line with the people that live here than the people on the outside.

I’m sure he’ll be radically unpopular within a few months, but he’s having his moment.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #697 on: April 04, 2023, 10:53:28 PM »

You ever type out a response and then go "You know what, maybe I don't want to risk my first ban here"

Totally didn't just happen for me reading this comment

I lived among white ethnics, I know how they think. This is how they think about policing and race. It's the truth.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #698 on: April 04, 2023, 10:56:52 PM »

Brandon Johnson is a moderate, like most people
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States