Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:37:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 85996 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: February 27, 2019, 05:53:42 PM »

My vote us basically a toss up now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 04:26:27 PM »

Any progressive with any pretension of self awareness would know that Beto is an establishment shill with movie star looks, an attractive wife, and a nice home in whatever El Paso's version of Parkland, FL. He's ran a (frighteningly) good campaign against a popular incumbent basically arguing "vote for me 'cause I'm cool."

He's basically the white straight male version of Kamala Harris. I thought you'd all detest him, but I'm not surprised at certain posters who have neither 'nads nor spine. Any Democrat who would choose Beto over Kamala is basically an unconsciously bigoted person. 

I wonder if Beto has ever prosecuted anyone for marijuana or campaigned against a ballot measure to legalize it.

Oh wait, he's actually supported marijuana legalization since he was a City Councilman and campaigned for it in his first campaign for Congress too.

Not even remotely similar to Harris.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »

Beto supported marijuana legalization in his first Congress campaign in 2012. Before any state legalized it.

In fact he actually primaried an incumbent over the issue. The incumbent tried to discourage the El Paso City Council from passing a resolution supporting legalization and threatened that federal funding to the city could be cut if it was passes.

Beto was the primary sponsor of the resolution. And in response to that he challenged the incumbent and won.

Total Republican.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »

No one is calling him a Republican. The criticism I'm seeing is "not principled enough", "empty suit" etc.

Doesn't matter mate. Like Harris, no leftie is allowed to criticise Beto O'Rourke. 
One, there is a thread in this very forum about which neo-liberal pro-choice Republican is most potent and Beto is mentioned in the OP. LOL.

Two, who's not allowed to criticize O'Rourke? Aren't you doing it right now? Unlike the Sanders supporters I don't become irrational and accuse everybody of sabotaging my candidate when something I disagree with is said.

Many Harris supporters etc. on this forum do exactly that. Or they basically say “We won’t tell address your criticism unless people stop saying that Saint Bernard is above criticism” even if the poster giving the critique doesn’t actually do that.

That's not a valid excuse to behave like a jackass in response.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 06:03:06 PM »

Attacks on Democratic candidates are totally unfair and help Trump!!! ... Unless they're attacks on a Democrat (or someone I get to technically say isn't a "real Democrat") that I don't like, in which case, great! Why are they so special? I thought you all wanted scrutiny!

I don't expect people to understand something as elitist as "nuance", but it is possible to scrutinize candidates without believing that they're worse than the devil.

The only posters I can see incapable of grasping this are GoTfan, PittsburghSteel and Invisible Obama.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 06:36:53 PM »

Any progressive with any pretension of self awareness would know that Beto is an establishment shill with movie star looks, an attractive wife, and a nice home in whatever El Paso's version of Parkland, FL. He's ran a (frighteningly) good campaign against a popular incumbent basically arguing "vote for me 'cause I'm cool."

He's basically the white straight male version of Kamala Harris. I thought you'd all detest him, but I'm not surprised at certain posters who have neither 'nads nor spine. Any Democrat who would choose Beto over Kamala is basically an unconsciously bigoted person.  

I wonder if Beto has ever prosecuted anyone for marijuana or campaigned against a ballot measure to legalize it.

Oh wait, he's actually supported marijuana legalization since he was a City Councilman and campaigned for it in his first campaign for Congress too.

Yeah he’s defo been better than her on that  (although Harris actually created programs so low level drug offender didn’t have to go to prison ) but he has consistently voted to her right in congress.  He’s not exactly AOC. Especially on economic justice he’s really not that different from someone like Booker. Who happens to be pretty good on marijuana legislation..so.
While I like Beto and I am glad he’s running because I think he’s really good on social justice. I also think his candidacy ironically highlights white privilege. No POC could ever run for president if they’d been arrested several times.  Nor would they have a bunch of powerful people urging them to run if they just lost their race ( see Abrams and Gillum).
Also his his family is extremely wealthy and are able to fund campaigns in ways no other candidates can.
So no in that respect he’s not even remotely similar to Harris or Obama or whover people compare him to.

The difference between Beto and Abrams and Gillum is he's held a federal office, and was running in a far more inhospital state.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:41:50 PM »

For the record, I actually do prefer Booker to Harris. The biggest issue with him are his Big Pharma ties, which Beto doesn't have anything comparable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 06:43:08 PM »

Attacks on Democratic candidates are totally unfair and help Trump!!! ... Unless they're attacks on a Democrat (or someone I get to technically say isn't a "real Democrat") that I don't like, in which case, great! Why are they so special? I thought you all wanted scrutiny!

I don't expect people to understand something as elitist as "nuance", but it is possible to scrutinize candidates without believing that they're worse than the devil.

The only posters I can see incapable of grasping this are GoTfan, PittsburghSteel and Invisible Obama.

I could say the same for the Harris and O'Rourke fanatics,  but I'm not allowed to criticise them because that means I'm a closet Trumpist.

Or you could just criticize candidates you think deserve it and ignore the idiots who respond like that instead of stooping to their level.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »

I could say the same for the Harris and O'Rourke fanatics,  but I'm not allowed to criticise them because that means I'm a closet Trumpist.

Or you could just criticize candidates you think deserve it and ignore the idiots who respond like that instead of stooping to their level.

But you see, if I criticise them, I'm helping Trump do his job you see, so I'm forbidden from criticising them.

I don't think that.

So some morons do. Solution? Ignore them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »

I could say the same for the Harris and O'Rourke fanatics,  but I'm not allowed to criticise them because that means I'm a closet Trumpist.

Jesus Christ, have you ever participated in a debate in your life?

Your response to every single actual counterargument you face is "wah I'm not allowed to criticise other candidates". Maybe if you had something substantial to say instead of complaining that your initial salvos weren't accepted at face value, you would convince other people. Sitting on your hands and crying in every single post about how you're being silenced is pathetic and suggests you don't even know how to debate even if you wanted to.

For the record, nobody has said that you aren't allowed to complain about other candidates. You just happen to not be any good at it when you do it.

And somewhat ironically, that's actually pretty reminiscent of what Calthrina does.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »

Yeah he’s defo been better than her on that  (although Harris actually created programs so low level drug offender didn’t have to go to prison ) but he has consistently voted to her right in congress.  He’s not exactly AOC. Especially on economic justice he’s really not that different from someone like Booker. Who happens to be pretty good on marijuana legislation..so.
While I like Beto and I am glad he’s running because I think he’s really good on social justice. I also think his candidacy ironically highlights white privilege. No POC could ever run for president if they’d been arrested several times.  Nor would they have a bunch of powerful people urging them to run if they just lost their race ( see Abrams and Gillum).
Also his his family is extremely wealthy and are able to fund campaigns in ways no other candidates can.
So no in that respect he’s not even remotely similar to Harris or Obama or whover people compare him to.

The difference between Beto and Abrams and Gillum is he's held a federal office, and was running in a far more inhospital state.
Statistically he got WAY more media coverage than Abrams which obviously helped his campaign. Also if the media had given Abrams as much attention as Beto she might have won and at least raised more money. And I wouldn’t necessarily agree that he had a tougher task, Texas was probably more difficult to flip in many ways but a black woman running against a guy who actively purged black people from voting registers is a whole other level of effed up sh**t.

1-That's true, but running against someone as known and controversial as Ted Cruz is way more interesting to most people than the Governorship of Georgia.
2-Abrams raised plenty of money. She raised more than any Democrat in Georgia history. Lack of money wasn't a problem, she was already at the diminishing returns level.
3-Yes what Kemp did was utterly reprehensible but that's not Beto's fault.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've never seen anyone say that any candidate must not be criticized. The closest thing is a few of the dimmer Harris supporters basically saying "Non-issue, doesn't matter", which is incredibly annoying and bad debate form, but not "shut up and get back in line."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 04:11:29 PM »

https://theweek.com/speedreads/826611/beto-orourke-heads-metallica-concert-after-making-2020-decision
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 04:32:42 PM »

No he's the only other candidate capable of winning my vote.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 04:39:04 PM »

Uh... why exactly does him attending a Metallica concert make you less likely to support him?
Metallica sucks.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 07:02:19 PM »

Uh... why exactly does him attending a Metallica concert make you less likely to support him?
Metallica sucks.

Is this a joke?

I can't imagine anyone seriously reconsidering their support for a candidate just because they don't like a band whose concert said candidate attended. it's just bizarre.

His musical taste is a big part of why I'm considering supporting him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 10:07:18 PM »

The Club for Growth already has an anti-O'Rourke ad going up in Iowa:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/10/beto-orourke-2020-attack-1214805

The anti-tax Club for Growth is expected to begin airing a two-minute commercial in Iowa this week aimed at dampening liberal support for O’Rourke, who's expected to enter the race any day. The spot paints the former Texas congressman as a politician dripping with "white male privilege" who's undeserving of the comparisons he's drawing to Barack Obama.

“With a charmed life like his, you can never really lose,” the ad concludes. “That’s why Beto’s running for president — because he can.”

The offensive represents the GOP’s first concerted effort to wreak havoc in the Democratic race, and it arrives as senior Republicans have begun deliberating how the party should seek to influence the Democratic primary. With President Donald Trump’s job approval mired in the low- to mid-40s, Republicans are starting to focus on ensuring he faces as weak a candidate as possible.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah attacking someone for "white male privilege" in Iowa, that's a winner! LOL
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 10:23:35 AM »

The Club for Growth already has an anti-O'Rourke ad going up in Iowa:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/10/beto-orourke-2020-attack-1214805

The anti-tax Club for Growth is expected to begin airing a two-minute commercial in Iowa this week aimed at dampening liberal support for O’Rourke, who's expected to enter the race any day. The spot paints the former Texas congressman as a politician dripping with "white male privilege" who's undeserving of the comparisons he's drawing to Barack Obama.

“With a charmed life like his, you can never really lose,” the ad concludes. “That’s why Beto’s running for president — because he can.”

The offensive represents the GOP’s first concerted effort to wreak havoc in the Democratic race, and it arrives as senior Republicans have begun deliberating how the party should seek to influence the Democratic primary. With President Donald Trump’s job approval mired in the low- to mid-40s, Republicans are starting to focus on ensuring he faces as weak a candidate as possible.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah attacking someone for "white male privilege" in Iowa, that's a winner! LOL

I think you're assuming the wrong intended audience for this ad. The purpose is not to attack O'Rourke or discourage his supporters. Its actual message - i.e. the suggestion that Democrats have it out for whitey - is for swing voters.

But then if Beto ends up being nominated, or Sanders, that narrative goes poof.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »

https://www.discogs.com/Foss-The-El-Paso-Pussycats/release/5832632

He's listed as "Beto O'Rourke" on his band's record too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 07:36:28 PM »

The person who asked this is a F[INKS]ING LOSER

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 08:04:07 PM »

The person who asked this is a F[INKS]ING LOSER

What did Beto say?

His answers are in the pic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »

This f[inks]ing loser should've visited my church last week when a guy being interviewed actually said "f[inks]ing sh!t" out loud.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »

Looks like RFKFan can change his name/sig.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »

So what does everyone think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ_sebQqrU4
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 05:19:10 PM »

That makes 3 Democrats who have called out Netanyahu(the 3 being Beto, Sanders, and Buttigieg, BTW). Good for them.

Going to alienate the Jewish vote that way.

LOL what American Jews who aren't already voting Republican actually care about Netanyahu?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies