Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:09:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 86134 times)
Boobs
HCP
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2019, 04:31:22 PM »

According to Atlas, the man who ran on universal health care, $15 minimum wage, impeaching Trump, continued gun reform, preserving DACA, and getting corporate money out of politics in Texas is a Republican.

See but his name is Beto O'Rourke and not Bernie Sanders
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »

According to Atlas, the man who ran on universal health care, $15 minimum wage, impeaching Trump, continued gun reform, preserving DACA, and getting corporate money out of politics in Texas is a Republican.

I wonder, would he have run on those things if they weren't brought up in 2016? Considering his 47% Chamber of Commerce rating, I doubt it.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »

No one is calling him a Republican. The criticism I'm seeing is "not principled enough", "empty suit" etc.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »

Talking the talk and walking the walk are two different things.

Beto voted for Wall Street deregulation as a congressman.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »

No one is calling him a Republican. The criticism I'm seeing is "not principled enough", "empty suit" etc.

Doesn't matter mate. Like Harris, no leftie is allowed to criticise Beto O'Rourke. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »

Beto supported marijuana legalization in his first Congress campaign in 2012. Before any state legalized it.

In fact he actually primaried an incumbent over the issue. The incumbent tried to discourage the El Paso City Council from passing a resolution supporting legalization and threatened that federal funding to the city could be cut if it was passes.

Beto was the primary sponsor of the resolution. And in response to that he challenged the incumbent and won.

Total Republican.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »

Beto supported marijuana legalization in his first Congress campaign in 2012. Before any state legalized it.

In fact he actually primaried an incumbent over the issue. The incumbent tried to discourage the El Paso City Council from passing a resolution supporting legalization and threatened that federal funding to the city could be cut if it was passes.

Beto was the primary sponsor of the resolution. And in response to that he challenged the incumbent and won.

Total Republican.

It's almost as if marijuana legalisation isn't the only thing progressives want.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »

If a 47% Chamber of Commerce rating isn't disqualifying enough for Dems, what is?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »

Total Republican.

It's almost as if marijuana legalisation isn't the only thing progressives want.

And Cory Booker does well on that one issue.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »

Doesn't matter mate. Like Harris, no leftie is allowed to criticise Beto O'Rourke. 
One, there is a thread in this very forum about which neo-liberal pro-choice Republican is most potent and Beto is mentioned in the OP. LOL.

Two, who's not allowed to criticize O'Rourke? Aren't you doing it right now? Unlike the Sanders supporters I don't become irrational and accuse everybody of sabotaging my candidate when something I disagree with is said.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »

One, there is a thread in this very forum about which neo-liberal pro-choice Republican is most potent and Beto is mentioned in the OP. LOL.

Two, who's not allowed to criticize O'Rourke? Aren't you doing it right now? Unlike the Sanders supporters I don't become irrational and accuse everybody of sabotaging my candidate when something I disagree with is said.

You must have mellowed out a good bit since Abrams lost then.
History505
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2019, 05:07:05 PM »

Boy is this thread fun to read.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »

Many Harris supporters etc. on this forum do exactly that. Or they basically say “We won’t tell address your criticism unless people stop saying that Saint Bernard is above criticism” even if the poster giving the critique doesn’t actually do that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »

Many Harris supporters etc. on this forum do exactly that. Or they basically say “We won’t tell address your criticism unless people stop saying that Saint Bernard is above criticism” even if the poster giving the critique doesn’t actually do that.

That's not a valid excuse to behave like a jackass in response.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »

Attacks on Democratic candidates are totally unfair and help Trump!!! ... Unless they're attacks on a Democrat (or someone I get to technically say isn't a "real Democrat") that I don't like, in which case, great! Why are they so special? I thought you all wanted scrutiny!

I don't expect people to understand something as elitist as "nuance", but it is possible to scrutinize candidates without believing that they're worse than the devil.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2019, 06:03:06 PM »

Attacks on Democratic candidates are totally unfair and help Trump!!! ... Unless they're attacks on a Democrat (or someone I get to technically say isn't a "real Democrat") that I don't like, in which case, great! Why are they so special? I thought you all wanted scrutiny!

I don't expect people to understand something as elitist as "nuance", but it is possible to scrutinize candidates without believing that they're worse than the devil.

The only posters I can see incapable of grasping this are GoTfan, PittsburghSteel and Invisible Obama.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2019, 06:31:47 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2019, 06:39:06 PM by Possiblymaybe »

Any progressive with any pretension of self awareness would know that Beto is an establishment shill with movie star looks, an attractive wife, and a nice home in whatever El Paso's version of Parkland, FL. He's ran a (frighteningly) good campaign against a popular incumbent basically arguing "vote for me 'cause I'm cool."

He's basically the white straight male version of Kamala Harris. I thought you'd all detest him, but I'm not surprised at certain posters who have neither 'nads nor spine. Any Democrat who would choose Beto over Kamala is basically an unconsciously bigoted person.  

I wonder if Beto has ever prosecuted anyone for marijuana or campaigned against a ballot measure to legalize it.

Oh wait, he's actually supported marijuana legalization since he was a City Councilman and campaigned for it in his first campaign for Congress too.

Not even remotely similar to Harris.
Yeah he’s definitely been better than her on that  (although he isn’t a prosecutor so I dont think that was a valid comparison,unless you just hate prosecutors?)  but he has consistently voted to her right in congress.  He’s not exactly AOC. Especially on economic justice he’s really not that different from someone like Booker. Who happens to be pretty good on marijuana legislation..so.
While I like Beto and I am glad he’s running because I think he’s really good on social justice. I also think his candidacy ironically highlights white privilege. No POC could ever run for president if they’d been arrested several times.  Nor would they have a bunch of powerful people urging them to run if they just lost their race ( see Abrams and Gillum).
Also his family are extremely wealthy and are able to fund campaigns in ways no other democrats running can.
So no in that respect he’s not even remotely similar to Harris or Obama or whover people compare him to.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2019, 06:33:36 PM »

I'd consider voting for him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2019, 06:36:53 PM »

Any progressive with any pretension of self awareness would know that Beto is an establishment shill with movie star looks, an attractive wife, and a nice home in whatever El Paso's version of Parkland, FL. He's ran a (frighteningly) good campaign against a popular incumbent basically arguing "vote for me 'cause I'm cool."

He's basically the white straight male version of Kamala Harris. I thought you'd all detest him, but I'm not surprised at certain posters who have neither 'nads nor spine. Any Democrat who would choose Beto over Kamala is basically an unconsciously bigoted person.  

I wonder if Beto has ever prosecuted anyone for marijuana or campaigned against a ballot measure to legalize it.

Oh wait, he's actually supported marijuana legalization since he was a City Councilman and campaigned for it in his first campaign for Congress too.

Yeah he’s defo been better than her on that  (although Harris actually created programs so low level drug offender didn’t have to go to prison ) but he has consistently voted to her right in congress.  He’s not exactly AOC. Especially on economic justice he’s really not that different from someone like Booker. Who happens to be pretty good on marijuana legislation..so.
While I like Beto and I am glad he’s running because I think he’s really good on social justice. I also think his candidacy ironically highlights white privilege. No POC could ever run for president if they’d been arrested several times.  Nor would they have a bunch of powerful people urging them to run if they just lost their race ( see Abrams and Gillum).
Also his his family is extremely wealthy and are able to fund campaigns in ways no other candidates can.
So no in that respect he’s not even remotely similar to Harris or Obama or whover people compare him to.

The difference between Beto and Abrams and Gillum is he's held a federal office, and was running in a far more inhospital state.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »

The only posters I can see incapable of grasping this are GoTfan, PittsburghSteel and Invisible Obama.

I could say the same for the Harris and O'Rourke fanatics,  but I'm not allowed to criticise them because that means I'm a closet Trumpist.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2019, 06:38:22 PM »

Yeah he’s defo been better than her on that  (although Harris actually created programs so low level drug offender didn’t have to go to prison ) but he has consistently voted to her right in congress.  He’s not exactly AOC. Especially on economic justice he’s really not that different from someone like Booker. Who happens to be pretty good on marijuana legislation..so.
Also his his family is extremely wealthy and are able to fund campaigns in ways no other candidates can.

The difference between Beto and Abrams and Gillum is he's held a federal office, and was running in a far more inhospital state.

inhospitable*
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »

His district was D+17 though.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2019, 06:39:52 PM »

Also his family are extremely wealthy and are able to fund campaigns in ways no other democrats running can.

Lol at Harris supporters who try to use her congressional record as proof of anything but an extension of her campaign.

If Harris was white the video of her laughing at POC mothers being locked up would have ended her campaign months ago.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2019, 06:41:47 PM »

The thing about Gillum and Abrams is that Gillum underperformed expectations after having led DeSantis in almost every poll, while Abrams was only a state legislator and doesn't have any experience on the national stage. Beto has more time in Congress than Obama did, and no one really expected him to get as close as he did. A lot of people (myself included) thought he'd be Wendy Davis 2.0, although maybe slightly better.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2019, 06:41:50 PM »

For the record, I actually do prefer Booker to Harris. The biggest issue with him are his Big Pharma ties, which Beto doesn't have anything comparable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies