1st Presidential Debate Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:52:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  1st Presidential Debate Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37
Author Topic: 1st Presidential Debate Megathread  (Read 47723 times)
Hollywood
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: September 30, 2020, 01:33:20 AM »

Thanks, Trump.

Remember, if you support Trump, you are a literal Nazi supporter. The facade is gone.

I don't think Biden caught that.
I was immediately going crazy when trump said/ordered the Proud Boys to "stand by."
On Nov 4/5th expect trump to go on national TV, and in code, tell the Proud Boys to "Execute Order 66" or something.
What a mess of an Orange Fascist Bast**d.

That was one of the least bad gaffes.  Biden had some weird fascist moments in that debate, and including his demand that "he was the Democrat Party". my entire watch party started to looking around at each other like, "Did he just say that?"   That gave me flashbacks to a Napoleon statement where he said, "I am the French Revolution."  

Well for one thing, he didn't say "Democrat Party" since no one who isn't a mentally challenged Republican who somehow thinks that's funny says that.

For another thing, (accurately) saying that he is now the leader of the party and as president nothing can get passed if he doesn't sign it -- simply to deflect Trump's attempts to pretend the farther left elements of the DEMOCRATIC Party represent Joe Biden when they do not -- was not at all "fascist." Even if Biden had complete control over the party, that wouldn't make him fascist as it is merely a political party. Not the entire country. (Remember when Trump said "I alone can fix it?" Or when he called the press "the enemy of the people?" THAT was fascist. Never mind what he said tonight.) And he doesn't control it nearly to the extent Trump does the GOP anyway, as that is now a literal cult of personality for Der Fuhrer.

Come on Man!  This is already making its way throughout the internet.  He said it multiple times.  

"The party is me.  Right now I am the Democrat Party.  I am the Democrat Party right now."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks5SKdexY_o

The media is the "enemy of the people" thing wasn't said tonight, and I don't find it as reprehensible as some of the other things I'm seeing right now. We do have a problem with the media in this country because it is being strangled by foreign and domestic corporate interests that want to convey a uniform message that cannot be refuted.  The coverage leading up to Iraq, Syria, and ISIS are examples where many on the far-left were shouted down by a large corporate media cabal that is uniform in their pro-war support.  Any who, I think saying the media is the enemy of the people cause you don't agree with them is one thing, but attacking CNN studios in Atlanta and numerous reporters during the leftists riots across the country is exactly what fascist and marxists do to intimidate journalists while they ascend to power.  
musicblind
United States

« Reply #751 on: September 30, 2020, 01:40:43 AM »

Mick Foley is a national treasure

Greatest wrestler of all time, imho.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #752 on: September 30, 2020, 02:01:28 AM »

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #753 on: September 30, 2020, 02:17:18 AM »

No-one won the debate, which is good for Biden.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #754 on: September 30, 2020, 02:20:55 AM »

Mick Foley is a national treasure

Greatest wrestler of all time, imho.
I know there won't be live events for a while, but check out his standup show when you get the chance. He's as good of a verbal storyteller as he is a wrestling storyteller
Hollywood
« Reply #755 on: September 30, 2020, 02:25:41 AM »

I remembered this nonsense CNN trash poll from 2016, and Trump actually did better against Biden than Clinton.  From the CNN article:
"The post-debate result is about the same as the outcome of a post-debate poll in 2016 after the first debate between Trump and Hillary Clinton. In that poll, 62% thought Clinton won the debate, 27% said Trump did."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/politics/donald-trump-joe-biden-debate-poll/index.html

The Frank Luntz Panel is much better at gauging reactions.  

That's because Hillary did win the debate. She won all three, but especially the first one. Her polling skyrocketed after the first debate.

I thought 62-27% was a bit extreme given the panel response with Frank Luntz, and then we saw that narrow to 52-39 in the third CNN debate.  The election polls didn't change much.  Maybe a maximum of 2 points.    https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/20/opinions/clinton-trump-third-debate-roundup/index.html

I might be wrong about Clinton's performance in that first debate, but Clinton was in a different league than Biden during her first debate against Trump.  I don't see how Biden gained anything from this debate.  The bar was set so goddamn low for Biden.  All he had to do was get through this without sh**tting or pissing himself.  Congrats.  

The question is do you really want go through two more of these debates?  
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #756 on: September 30, 2020, 02:35:37 AM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #757 on: September 30, 2020, 03:09:55 AM »

I watched the debate live on CNN, but the Austrian ORF also streamed it live (with live-dubbing to German).

I just watched parts of that and at some points you can hear the 2 English-German dubbers chuckle and laugh silently after Trump said something retarded ... Tongue

https://tvthek.orf.at/profile/ZIB-Spezial-zur-US-Wahl-2020/13892089/ZIB-Spezial-Donald-Trump-gegen-Joe-Biden-Die-erste-Debatte/14066372/Das-Duell-Trump-gegen-Biden/14769730
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #758 on: September 30, 2020, 03:15:38 AM »

I hate debates and all the punditry that comes along with it. Ugh. After Kamala puts Pence to sleep let’s just end it there and let people vote in peace.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #759 on: September 30, 2020, 03:19:19 AM »

I hate debates and all the punditry that comes along with it. Ugh. After Kamala puts Pence to sleep let’s just end it there and let people vote in peace.

I wish this election had been held several months ago. There's been far too much of this, I just want to know the outcome.
solidcoalition
Rookie
United States

« Reply #760 on: September 30, 2020, 03:20:36 AM »

My takeaways:

1. I expected Trump to be kind of sluggish and sleepy. More like Bush in 2004 and Obama in 2012. I was surprised Trump was as aggressive and fiery as he was.

2. I thought Joe Biden would look better. I’m assuming they do camera tests, debate prep, ect. I am actually surprised he looked quite as “elderly” as he did.

3. Trump’s interrupting of Wallace would have hurt Trump more if Biden didn’t also do it. By Joe Biden also interrupting Trump and Wallace, and saying “shut up” and calling Trump a “clown”, it takes the edge off Trump so it’s harder to say “He did it” when they both did.

Overall, I’m shocked that Biden did as average or mediocre-like as he did considering all the debate prep he likely did. I am also pretty shocked that President Trump was as foreceful as he was.

I’ll say slight win for Trump, but mostly a wash.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #761 on: September 30, 2020, 03:47:13 AM »

Haven't seen it myself so far, it does sound like a Scorched Earth debate though. Maybe I should go watch it this evening now?

Anyway, this is what the headlines on the websites of Germany's major newspapers and magazines had to say about it when I just looked it up:

Left-of-center publications

Der Spiegel: "The screaming fit."

Die Zeit: "Angry white men."

Süddeutsche Zeitung: "Part fist fight, part theater play."

Right-of-center publications

Bild: "Shut up, man! - The most brutal duel of all times."

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung: "Would you shut up, man?"

Die Welt: "America's declaration of bankrupcy."
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #762 on: September 30, 2020, 03:53:39 AM »

Remember when Al Gore sighing too loudly was a salacious presidential debate scandal?

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #763 on: September 30, 2020, 03:57:08 AM »

BobbieMac
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #764 on: September 30, 2020, 04:07:15 AM »

Me and the missus just watched the debate on catch up.

It reminded me of trying to debate a flat earther, but where 40% of the viewership believe in flat-earth. What can you do?

Anyway, Biden won, he actually had some policies. Trump has nothing.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #765 on: September 30, 2020, 04:42:49 AM »

I'm 15 minutes into it and this is some of the best comedy I've seen in months
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #766 on: September 30, 2020, 04:59:33 AM »

Having finished the debate this morning what a truly miserable experience. I suppose Biden came out better but not by much, I suddenly remember why I didn't want him as the nominee, he seems like a confused old man especially next to fiery aggressive Trump. I think I'll not bother with the second and third debates, I mean whats the point? There's nothing to be gained, nobodies learning anything, it's just an ugly spectacle. Ugh
Granite City
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.39, S: -2.61

« Reply #767 on: September 30, 2020, 05:12:32 AM »

I set my alarm for 1:30, turned it off in my sleep. Woke up at 2:10 panicked that I had missed the start of the debate. What I would have done to have slept all the way through...

His stutter was bad but Biden fought through it, Trump was utterly incoherent. I think the anger about the debate is blinding some people into not acknowledging that Biden won by default but it doesn't seem like it's going to matter.

I don't see how it gets any better for Trump. He's just an angry old man, it wasn't a debate tactic, it's what he is and that isn't going to somehow become a better strategy in a town hall format. No-one watches the 3rd debate anyway and I can't imagine people are becoming more inclined to watch because of what they have seen.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #768 on: September 30, 2020, 05:19:31 AM »

After some reflection and perusing what limited information we have so far, I think this was actually a lot worse for Trump than simply being a bad debate night. From what I can gather, he actively horrified most viewers. I get the sense that the only thing this disaster accomplished was that it made more Americans view Trump as a threat rather than someone they don't like.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #769 on: September 30, 2020, 05:20:06 AM »

Got around to watching the highlights and man, I am glad I did not get up at 3 a.m. to watch this.

But just scrolling through FB, the reactions from all my normie adult family and friends is *severely* negative across the board. Never seen anything like that but it's jow I feel as well.
swf541

« Reply #770 on: September 30, 2020, 05:28:05 AM »

After some reflection and perusing what limited information we have so far, I think this was actually a lot worse for Trump than simply being a bad debate night. From what I can gather, he actively horrified most viewers. I get the sense that the only thing this disaster accomplished was that it made more Americans view Trump as a threat rather than someone they don't like.

Yea is ancedotal but my father went to bed thinking it was hilarious then woke up this morning and went on about how unfit trump was for office and how bad it was (this is smth he's never brought up before and in the past would quasi defend Trump in some chats, former republican)

Trump not only horrified people last night, he actively displayed he has not grown into the office at all, if anything he's gotten worse and his inability to effectively talk about any coherent policy or legislation signed by his administration was particularly damning.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #771 on: September 30, 2020, 05:39:23 AM »

I'm glad i don't have to vote. Biden is unworthy of my vote. A bland, boring choice who offers nothing to America and change nothing, except for undo everything Trump did, which is arguably a net win compared to "four more years of Trump who hasn't grown into office". This debate showed that Democrats have learned nothing in the last four years. (Neither did Trump F.Y.I.) Either way, regardless of who wins, America has still a long road ahead of them before being a great country back again. Biden would've lost every election except for this one, where most people just want Trump to get out, instead of Uncle Joe getting elected. It's time to build a leftist opposition against president Biden after the election is over. That's what America needs, a huge leftist opposition movement, incl. Sanders, AOC, Yang, Warren, The Squad and more).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #772 on: September 30, 2020, 05:42:50 AM »

Watched the debate today in the early morning before work. Gee, I expected it to be rough, but Trump was completely off the rails. This guy interrupts, distracts and lies. It's impossible to have a substantial debate with him. But Joe Biden was doing pretty good, putting out at least some policy proposals and fighting back. Sometimes I wished he would have been even tougher on Trump. There were a couple of instances where I thought "I would have said this and that". He should have been even more aggressive and corner Trump.

In short, I don't think this will change much. Trump reminded everyone outside his hardcore base what a terrible person he is. All too unfortunate there wasn't more discussion ob substance. But that's 100% on Trump, because he doesn't care about issues and can't run on his disastrous record in office.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #773 on: September 30, 2020, 05:54:35 AM »

"Mr. President, please stop."

Iconic. This shouting match seems to be getting worse as it's going on; it's like a miniature version of 2020.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #774 on: September 30, 2020, 06:01:13 AM »

As I stated before, Trump hasn't been an officeholder before and never lost an election, so now he is losing the election due to Covid and he knows it. That's why he has to be boastful and defy Reagan's common sense approach to deceny to debates. Reagan, Bush W, McCain and Romney all lost before and were officeholders and know how it's like to lose, that's why they adheared to the rules of the debate.

Nothing changed, Cindy McCain and Mark Kelly will solidify the 291/247 blue wall, AZ, ME2, NEB2, and WI will go Dem in an 8 percent unemployment rate, where Leader McConnell let the 1200 stimulus expire. Pelosi isn't at fault either, she should of took 300 in unemployment not 600, since unemployment is temporary. Unemployment funds are being tapped out in every state and it's not UBI
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies