1st Presidential Debate Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:26:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  1st Presidential Debate Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37
Author Topic: 1st Presidential Debate Megathread  (Read 47805 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: September 30, 2020, 12:02:51 PM »

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #826 on: September 30, 2020, 12:09:30 PM »

Pretty racist. Why don't they want to move to *ahem* 'diverse' countries instead? Why is no one googling a move to Mali?

Uh, Canada is pretty much as diverse as the US at this point.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #827 on: September 30, 2020, 12:10:03 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2020, 03:46:59 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Trump tells the "Proud Boys" a hate group, to

"stand back and stand by."

Since I have not heard any cries of outrage from the jelly fish Republican Senators about this remark by Trump, I can only assume that they are in lock step with the racist Donald Trump on this issue.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #828 on: September 30, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »

your view that it is "my way or the highway" isn't one that will help mend the divides between moderates and progressives within the Democratic Party.

Biden has adopted plenty of progressive policy positions, most notably the $15 minimum wage.  You guys just completely ignore those and focus on the ones he hasn't adopted, and then lie lie lie by mischaracterizing that as "my way or the highway."

If Biden were to come out tomorrow and say "I plan on implementing AOC's Green New Deal on my first day in office" the new talking point would be "I can't vote for Biden, he stands for nothing, why won't he adopt M4A, he isn't going to earn progressive votes with this my way or the highway approach."  And so it would continue on, forever and always, the long and winding road of bad-faith rhetoric that ends with everyone just wasting their time as usual.

"You guys"? For the last time, I am a moderate, independent voter in Colorado who is voting for Joe Biden in November and who disapproves of Donald Trump, and who did not vote for him in 2016! I am not a Berniecrat, and I have expressed my dislike of Elizabeth Warren-most recently today, as can be seen here: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=400494.msg7612944#msg7612944). I'm trying to communicate to you why people on the left aren't particularly enthused about Biden, and see this election as a vote for the lesser of two evils-a view, I suspect, which is held by many voters in this country (such as the focus group you maligned). Your tendency to ignore the points other people make, to insult users when they disagree with you, and to view yourself as the arbiter of "all that is right", is an irritating one, and one that thins my patience. This is all I have to say to you.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #829 on: September 30, 2020, 12:18:24 PM »

Trump tells the "Proud Boys" white supremacist group to

"stand back and stand by."

Since I have not heard any cries of outrage from the jelly fish Republican Senators about this remark by Trump, I can only assume that they are in lock step with the racist Donald Trump on this issue.

Yeah, this is extremely troubling. These fascist should be locked up in jail and tried for treason.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #830 on: September 30, 2020, 12:44:32 PM »

Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #831 on: September 30, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »

Pretty racist. Why don't they want to move to *ahem* 'diverse' countries instead? Why is no one googling a move to Mali?

Uh, Canada is pretty much as diverse as the US at this point.

Yeah, in cities like Vancouver, 28% of the population is Chinese and just 46% has European ethnic origins. Half of Toronto is foreign born. They have a wide range of diversity, and it's a bit unfair to say the country is totally devoid of diversity just because like 60% of it is white
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #832 on: September 30, 2020, 12:53:46 PM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #833 on: September 30, 2020, 12:55:15 PM »

Yeah. Palpatine won.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #834 on: September 30, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »

They'll probably bring in the big guns now and hire John Bercow to moderate the next debates. ORDAAAR!!!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #835 on: September 30, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »

538/Ipsos also shows that Biden clearly won.

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #836 on: September 30, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »

Love that 538's sub-headline for that poll on their site is "Biden may have gained a little support, but many still think Trump has a good chance of winning."
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #837 on: September 30, 2020, 01:13:20 PM »

They'll probably bring in the big guns now and hire John Bercow to moderate the next debates. ORDAAAR!!!

I'd give up a finger to make this happen.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #838 on: September 30, 2020, 01:52:15 PM »

We need Andy Cohen to moderate the next one.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #839 on: September 30, 2020, 01:53:26 PM »

I'm glad i don't have to vote. Biden is unworthy of my vote. A bland, boring choice who offers nothing to America and change nothing, except for undo everything Trump did, which is arguably a net win compared to "four more years of Trump who hasn't grown into office". This debate showed that Democrats have learned nothing in the last four years. (Neither did Trump F.Y.I.) Either way, regardless of who wins, America has still a long road ahead of them before being a great country back again. Biden would've lost every election except for this one, where most people just want Trump to get out, instead of Uncle Joe getting elected. It's time to build a leftist opposition against president Biden after the election is over. That's what America needs, a huge leftist opposition movement, incl. Sanders, AOC, Yang, Warren, The Squad and more).

Imagine being on Atlas for the entire last year and still thinking that Biden is offering nothing for America.

This tired leftie talking point is just so damn ignorant.  Biden discussed, or at least tried to discuss, plenty of different policy proposals last night, and if you go to his website there's dozens more.  If you watch any of his speeches or town halls he has plenty that he is offering the country.

To still be sitting here on September 30, 2020 and believing (assuming you're not just trolling) that "Biden offers nothing to America" is just so astonishingly ignorant.  How can you comment on an election every day without having made even the slightest effort to pay attention to what Joe Biden says or stands for?
And this is why Trump benefits from these debates. Low information/idiotic soft-Biden supporters will now abstain because “both sides bad”.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #840 on: September 30, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »

More results from CNN (Biden/Trump)

Who appeared as a stronger leader? - 55/43

Not a bad number for Trump
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #841 on: September 30, 2020, 02:03:59 PM »

Once again, GenMac is off his rails.  Biden campaigns explicitly on simply returning politics to their pre-Trump arrangement, which is the lamest message for any national candidate in well-over a generation.  Sure, Biden may have plenty of policies on his campaign website but he doesn't campaign on policy.  He campaigns on mindless "orange man bad!!1!" drivel that doesn't drive anyone except Trump's most ardent opponents.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #842 on: September 30, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »

Although I was very pleased with Joe Biden, I personally would have gone even tougher at Trump. When he said "don't use the word smart with me" and falsely claimed Joe Biden was a bad student, I would have responded with "At least I didn't buy my degree as you allegedly have done, because you don't have the intellect. This is the man who said Belgium was a city and who wanted to nuke Hurricanes", since Mary Trump claimed he did so (which is believeable). I would also have hit him harder on tax returns and said "while you at home pay your taxes, this man has paid more for sex than federal income taxes." Now I know debates should be about issues, but you need to knock a bully out. I would totally have punched him again and again where it hurts him the most.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #843 on: September 30, 2020, 02:26:04 PM »

We need Andy Cohen to moderate the next one.

I vote for Samuel L Jackson
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #844 on: September 30, 2020, 02:28:08 PM »

Love that 538's sub-headline for that poll on their site is "Biden may have gained a little support, but many still think Trump has a good chance of winning."

Well, it's not incorrect. Far far too many of Trumps supporters are baked in to ever turn on dear leader. 2016 proved winning debates, even handily, doesn't automatically translate to Victory.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #845 on: September 30, 2020, 02:29:14 PM »

More results from CNN (Biden/Trump)

Who appeared as a stronger leader? - 55/43

Not a bad number for Trump

Considering that number has - - mind-bogglingly - - run in Trump's favor both generally and in matchups with potential opponents throughout his presidency, it is in fact god-awful.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #846 on: September 30, 2020, 02:32:32 PM »

A thought just hit me. In some wonderful alternative Universe where he demonstrated a little more self-control, Democratic nominee Senator Al Franken just demolished the incumbent President Trump with brilliant off the cuff one-liners that perfectly lampooned what a fool the man is
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #847 on: September 30, 2020, 02:35:59 PM »

A thought just hit me. In some wonderful alternative Universe where he demonstrated a little more self-control, Democratic nominee Senator Al Franken just demolished the incumbent President Trump with brilliant off the cuff one-liners that perfectly lampooned what a fool the man is

Well thank god we don’t live in that timeline.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #848 on: September 30, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »

Although I was very pleased with Joe Biden, I personally would have gone even tougher at Trump. When he said "don't use the word smart with me" and falsely claimed Joe Biden was a bad student, I would have responded with "At least I didn't buy my degree as you allegedly have done, because you don't have the intellect. This is the man who said Belgium was a city and who wanted to nuke Hurricanes", since Mary Trump claimed he did so (which is believeable). I would also have hit him harder on tax returns and said "while you at home pay your taxes, this man has paid more for sex than federal income taxes." Now I know debates should be about issues, but you need to knock a bully out. I would totally have punched him again and again where it hurts him the most.

Agreed. But it is what it is, to quote our supreme leader.

If we had a more spry nominee, they would have been better able to parry the attacks, but the trade-off is the warm, comforting feelings Biden provides during difficult times. Another obvious missed moment was when Trump kept saying his rallies were safe...his rally f***ing KILLED Herman Cain?!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #849 on: September 30, 2020, 02:40:48 PM »

Well thank god we don’t live in that timeline.

Serious question, why? I'd assumed you'd love the idea of a President Franken (minus the groppyness).
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies