NC-SEN, 2022: The Beasley Resurrection?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:51:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC-SEN, 2022: The Beasley Resurrection?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33
Author Topic: NC-SEN, 2022: The Beasley Resurrection?  (Read 47250 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2021, 09:56:07 AM »

There was speculation here (and journalistic rumours elsewhere) that Schumer did not 'okay' his candidacy because of skeletons in the closet. Him choosing to run now probably debunks that and makes the recruitment of Cunningham look like an even more bizarre decision.

Apparently it was because they disagreed about campaign strategy. Jackson wanted to run a grassroots campaign and hold town halls all over the state, but Schumer wanted the candidate to be locked in a windowless basement and make fundraising calls all day.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2021, 09:58:12 AM »

There was speculation here (and journalistic rumours elsewhere) that Schumer did not 'okay' his candidacy because of skeletons in the closet. Him choosing to run now probably debunks that and makes the recruitment of Cunningham look like an even more bizarre decision.

Apparently it was because they disagreed about campaign strategy. Jackson wanted to run a grassroots campaign and hold town halls all over the state, but Schumer wanted the candidate to be locked in a windowless basement and make fundraising calls all day.

This was what Jackson claimed in the leaked call and the alternative explanation for his non-candidacy. The 'unified basement strategy' is probably dead in the water now.

I wonder who else might decide to unpause their political career if they objected to following that approach in previous electoral cycles.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2021, 10:40:53 AM »

The First Redditor Senator,
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2021, 10:46:27 AM »

Lean D with Jeff Jackson
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2021, 10:46:47 AM »

No, Jackson wanted to do only minimal fundraising and almost completely cede the airwaves to Tillis.  Schumer rightly decided that it would be a bad idea to nominate a candidate who planned to 1) do as little fundraising as possible and 2) not to bother running attack ads against Tillis.  Schumer initially tried to recruit a bunch of other candidates like Anthony Foxx, Roy Cooper, Josh Stein, Janet Cowell, etc, etc but none of them were interested for a variety of reasons.  

Eventually, Schumer went with Cunningham (who was basically the only viable non-Jackson candidate left since unelectable DINO Erica Smith was obviously a non-starter) and Cunningham was well on his way to winning before getting torpedoed by an unforeseeable scandal.  And even then, Cunningham only lost by the skin of his teeth which suggests that - ironically enough - Schumer actually did have the right idea about this race re: strategy and that Cunningham probably would've won but for the late-breaking scandal (which he handled horribly btw).  
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2021, 12:25:14 PM »

I hope Rev. Barber runs and wins the primary - I think he has the best chance of flipping this seat. The Jackson template has repeatedly tried and failed, so I think it's time to try something new. But Erica Smith is also an incredibly weak candidate. We see from the GA runoffs that southern voters are receptive to black religious leaders; it would be good for both black turnout and winning a high enough chunk of the limited swing voter pool.
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2021, 06:49:55 PM »

I would be VERY surprised if Jon Ossoff doesn't have a reddit account.
Barack Oganja

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2021, 08:47:23 PM »

The only thing I'm confident saying is that assuming Reverend Barber = Reverend Warnock and Jeff Jackson = Cal Cunningham is lazy analysis. Different people in different states in different national environments against different candidates.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2021, 09:23:59 PM »

I hope Rev. Barber runs and wins the primary - I think he has the best chance of flipping this seat. The Jackson template has repeatedly tried and failed, so I think it's time to try something new. But Erica Smith is also an incredibly weak candidate. We see from the GA runoffs that southern voters are receptive to black religious leaders; it would be good for both black turnout and winning a high enough chunk of the limited swing voter pool.

Lol Jeff Jackson is gonna win the primary, and Tim Ryan is gonna run for Senate in OH, I doubt the other candidates win, Warnock was a special case, Stacy Abrams and Obama endorsed him

Tim Ryan is gonna run due to fact the R gerrymandering of OH

Portman gave away his seat to Tim Ryan, if in fact he runs which it looks inevitable
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2021, 12:04:20 AM »

I think people are greatly overestimating Democratic chances of winning this seat.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2021, 12:50:21 AM »

No, Jackson wanted to do only minimal fundraising and almost completely cede the airwaves to Tillis.  Schumer rightly decided that it would be a bad idea to nominate a candidate who planned to 1) do as little fundraising as possible and 2) not to bother running attack ads against Tillis.  Schumer initially tried to recruit a bunch of other candidates like Anthony Foxx, Roy Cooper, Josh Stein, Janet Cowell, etc, etc but none of them were interested for a variety of reasons.  

Eventually, Schumer went with Cunningham (who was basically the only viable non-Jackson candidate left since unelectable DINO Erica Smith was obviously a non-starter) and Cunningham was well on his way to winning before getting torpedoed by an unforeseeable scandal.  And even then, Cunningham only lost by the skin of his teeth which suggests that - ironically enough - Schumer actually did have the right idea about this race re: strategy and that Cunningham probably would've won but for the late-breaking scandal (which he handled horribly btw).  

Uhhh are you simping for Chuck Schumer and the DSCC right now? This reads like a parody. Cunningham was a standard polling error away from disaster either way, had absolutely no personality to speak of, no experience, almost no position on any issue, and was objectively a terrible pick and that's without the scandal that was obviously not unforeseeable because his own penile decisions yielded it lol!

The only thing I'm confident saying is that assuming Reverend Barber = Reverend Warnock and Jeff Jackson = Cal Cunningham is lazy analysis. Different people in different states in different national environments against different candidates.

I'm a huge Barber fan, and he would actually make a better Senator than Warnock. But yeah... North Carolina is a lot more white (read: racist) and Barber is a lot more leftist than Warnock. I think he would probably lose.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2021, 08:53:00 AM »

D's are gonna win NC with Jeff Jackson
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2021, 10:13:42 AM »

Lol Jeff Jackson is gonna win the primary, and Tim Ryan is gonna run for Senate in OH, I doubt the other candidates win, Warnock was a special case, Stacy Abrams and Obama endorsed him

Tim Ryan is gonna run due to fact the R gerrymandering of OH

Portman gave away his seat to Tim Ryan, if in fact he runs which it looks inevitable

*What does Tim Ryan have to do with this discussion of NC?
*What makes Warnock a "special case"? Why wouldn't Obama and Abrams endorse the Democratic candidate in NC as well?
*Why do you think Tim Ryan has such a strong general election advantage in this Trump +8 state?

I don't post here much so I may be out of the loop / violating consensus norms by responding to you, but you aren't making any sort of coherent sense at all.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2021, 12:46:59 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2021, 02:03:48 PM by #Joemala2020 »

I love Jeff Jackson. I met him (virtually) this year doing some voter reg stuff in Charlotte. He is not Cal Cunningham. I support and will be making monthly contributions.

ETA: I meant last year, still thinking it’s 2020. Tongue
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2021, 01:32:12 PM »

You know, I like Jeff Jackson as much as the next guy, and I really hope I'm missing something, but looking at the numbers I'm just not really seeing how a win is super feasible here. I mean, it looks like NC's trend has slowed to a snail's pace, and Jackson is going to have to improve on Biden's margin by at least a point or so in a midterm environment. That's certainly not impossible, and it's a damn sight more likely than Ohio or Iowa, but unless something big happens I just don't see how Republicans aren't the very clear favorites.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2021, 02:00:30 PM »

People that are so afraid of a Biden Midterm, it's ridiculous and we now have Biden that isn't Trump that has a 52 Percent approved rating not 40 percent Trump.

D's should be glad we have Jeff Jackson, Fetterman and possibly Tim Ryan running instead of naysay

These are Rs retiring not D's just like in 2018 in the House, they retired
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2021, 03:43:07 PM »

People that are so afraid of a Biden Midterm, it's ridiculous and we now have Biden that isn't Trump that has a 52 Percent approved rating not 40 percent Trump.

D's should be glad we have Jeff Jackson, Fetterman and possibly Tim Ryan running instead of naysay

These are Rs retiring not D's just like in 2018 in the House, they retired

I hate to say it, but I agree with all of this.
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2021, 03:50:59 PM »

I know this is a meme worthy question but I am legitimately wondering: would Smith's supposed Tulsi-esque DINO status help her get a surprisingly strong showing among #populist rural white voters?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2021, 03:57:47 PM »

You know, I like Jeff Jackson as much as the next guy, and I really hope I'm missing something, but looking at the numbers I'm just not really seeing how a win is super feasible here. I mean, it looks like NC's trend has slowed to a snail's pace, and Jackson is going to have to improve on Biden's margin by at least a point or so in a midterm environment. That's certainly not impossible, and it's a damn sight more likely than Ohio or Iowa, but unless something big happens I just don't see how Republicans aren't the very clear favorites.

The case for Jeff Jackson imo is that he's sort of cut in the mold of Beto O'Rourke 2018, as you can see from his desire to aggressively canvass all over the state. He's a strong public speaker and fairly communications-savvy--he built up a ton of name recognition across the state during the pandemic by releasing and aggressively publicizing* press releases, and he's been doing similar things for years.

That doesn't mean he'd win, but there's a decent case that he could overperform the usual Democratic ceilings in the state.

*And I mean aggressive--he's a regular poster in basically every NC local subreddit.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2021, 04:11:12 PM »

I know this is a meme worthy question but I am legitimately wondering: would Smith's supposed Tulsi-esque DINO status help her get a surprisingly strong showing among #populist rural white voters?

Erica Smith's "DINO status"--which I think is an inaccurate label-- is more based on her poor relationship with Democratic party, both national and statewide.

I suspect Smith was personally offended by the Schumer-induced coronation of Cal Cunningham, a relative no-name who had been out of office for years and who had basically equivalent experience to her. It's fairly obvious IMO that the DSCC went with Cunningham over her because of her race, since the two were basically identical in every other respect.

With regards to the statewide Democratic party, Smith has been repeatedly harassed and threatened by other members of the Senate Democratic caucus, and it seems like that's fostered bad blood, very understandably.

On a personal note, I met Smith when I was doing some lobbying for fair districting in the General Assembly, and she was incredibly friendly, noticeably more so than most other legislators. I'm not the world's biggest fan of her or anything--I don't think she's a great campaigner, and her weird attempt to ratf[inks] Jeff Jackson last fall I think shows that--but she seems to be sincerely left-wing and I sympathize a lot with her, since she's gotten a raw deal in quite a few ways. When she loses this primary (and she will, Jeff Jackson will probably win by more than Cunningham), I hope she's able to run for Butterfield's seat when he retires.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »

No, those are the trumpiest voters and would be very skeptical of a democrat, much less a black woman. Being a social conservative didn’t help Robert Williams in SC-7
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2021, 11:11:02 AM »

Jackson has already raised $500K. So much for the windowless basement strategy.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2021, 11:19:58 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2021, 11:25:08 AM by gracile »

It's a shame Jackson's 2020 run never materialized (though beating Tillis was hardly guaranteed given how NC voted and the state's overall Republican lean); he's going to have an uphill battle next year.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2021, 11:28:01 AM »

I am all in for Tim Ryan, Fetterman, Jeff Jackson, Tom Nelson and Warnock

Cook and Sabato ratings are meaningless until Oct 2022

Biden has a 52 Percent approvals not 40 percent Trump
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2021, 11:37:17 AM »

It's a shame Jackson's 2020 run never materialized (though beating Tillis was hardly guaranteed given how NC voted and the state's overall Republican lean); he's going to have an uphill battle next year.

I think he would have won in 2020. He reminds me of Kander or 2018 Beto, but in a much less red state than Missouri or Texas. Biden got nearly 20000 more votes in defeat than Tillis did in victory, so I think he could have easily made up that gap.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies