So I had a heart attack today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:47:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So I had a heart attack today
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: So I had a heart attack today  (Read 1815 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2022, 01:25:21 PM »

Wow. Thank God you are okay. I hope you stay well, Badger.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2022, 02:29:24 PM »

Oof, that's kind of a shock. Glad to read you're ok, man. Reduce stress whereever necessary or generally follow the doctor's instructions.

I hope you're on track to full recovery and it never happens again.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2022, 03:21:19 PM »

Terrible to hear Badger, but a quick and full recovery is amazing news.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2022, 06:13:40 PM »

Damn, Badger, I'm sorry. Wishing you the best! And I concur, maybe start posting here less for the sake of your health. At the very least avoid threads fhtagn and Fuzzy bear posted in.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2022, 02:24:32 AM »

Oh my.
Take care of yourself.
Hope all goes well. Give us updates.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2022, 02:49:13 AM »

Sorry to hear, honestly sounds like a terrifying experience and good to know you seem to be doing well.

As others have said it's best to avoid stress and relax for awhile
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2022, 02:17:58 PM »

Very sorry to hear this Badger- hope you've recovered and got some rest.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2022, 02:34:05 PM »

Damn, Badger, I'm sorry. Wishing you the best! And I concur, maybe start posting here less for the sake of your health.

Thank you sir.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2022, 02:36:24 PM »

So I just talked to the doctor and will be getting out of here in the next few hours. So I'm going to have to take medications, including baby aspirin every day for the rest of my life. No biggie.

I'm going to have to find a new cardio of at least 20 minutes, if not 30 to 40, every day. A hassle, but I'll just watch TV I guess while walking and killed two birds with one stone and what little free time I have.

But the big kicker is I've got a really cut down on carbs. Ugh! That is not going to be easy.

---

Also Badger, I'm not a psychologist, but make sure you're taking care of yourself mentally as well.  You've just been through a scary event.  Be sure to do what you can to limit your stress.  And please be kind to yourself!

Serious question. I'm embarrassed to use this citation, but I've seen multiple sitcom tropes where someone gets a diagnosis of high blood pressure, heart problems, hypertension, etc, and they are instructed to try to take it easy. It's only when the individual actually bursts loose and benster spleen somewhat that they actually suffer a reduction in stress. Off the top of my head I can think of all in the family, the jeffersons, and MASH.

Any truth to that whatsoever, or has TV from my childhood lied to me?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2022, 02:40:53 PM »

Glad to hear you're okay for now Badger. Hoping for the best for you.

In terms of regular (light) exercise, I find it useful to use a phone or one of those fitness watches as a gauge of miles walked per day. They may not be valid, but they are reliable, and can serve as a way to make sure you've gotten your requisite steps/miles in for the day. If it's about an hour out from when you go to bed and you're behind, no harm in a nice, calm walk around the neighborhood at night. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2022, 07:43:37 PM »

Only just seen this. Well... as I know only too well from repeated personal experience (though never from this organ) medical emergencies are not fun. Rest up, follow advice you're given if it seems sound and get well soon. Be careful not to rush any post-recovery health kick, though: dangerous with the heart. Take it slowly and carefully.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2022, 08:17:15 PM »

So I just talked to the doctor and will be getting out of here in the next few hours. So I'm going to have to take medications, including baby aspirin every day for the rest of my life. No biggie.

I'm going to have to find a new cardio of at least 20 minutes, if not 30 to 40, every day. A hassle, but I'll just watch TV I guess while walking and killed two birds with one stone and what little free time I have.

But the big kicker is I've got a really cut down on carbs. Ugh! That is not going to be easy.

---

Also Badger, I'm not a psychologist, but make sure you're taking care of yourself mentally as well.  You've just been through a scary event.  Be sure to do what you can to limit your stress.  And please be kind to yourself!

Serious question. I'm embarrassed to use this citation, but I've seen multiple sitcom tropes where someone gets a diagnosis of high blood pressure, heart problems, hypertension, etc, and they are instructed to try to take it easy. It's only when the individual actually bursts loose and benster spleen somewhat that they actually suffer a reduction in stress. Off the top of my head I can think of all in the family, the jeffersons, and MASH.

Sorry, Badge, you're gonna have to clarify "benster spleen" for me Smiley
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2022, 10:58:59 PM »

Thank God you are okay.  I am praying for your health, Badger. 
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2022, 11:25:20 PM »

I hope u r feeling better soon man!
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2022, 01:16:21 AM »

Glad to hear you're okay and recovering.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2022, 05:47:14 PM »

---

You didn't have your medical school class on that yet?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2022, 06:54:32 PM »

Hey Badger, I know how scary this Can be. I have a history with chest pains myself, but fortunately no Heart attacks (well at 28 if i was having Heart attacks that would be scary...)

But i know my mom had a few before dying at 42, and it's not fun.

I Hope you're doing well, and that this doesn't happen again. Take Care of yourself and stay safe.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2022, 11:52:22 AM »

---

Sorry. We've been through this voice to text app drill before. I meant vent ones spleen
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2022, 11:56:08 AM »

I just saw this.  Stay well, brother and listen to your doctors and your wife. Smiley
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2022, 12:40:56 PM »

---

Sorry. We've been through this voice to text app drill before. I meant vent ones spleen

Ah, I'm actually not certain if there's literature to back that up (I'm not aware of any).  Stress-management can be tricky because it straddles management in both the physical and the psychological realm -- and the latter is outside of my jurisdiction. 

Just knee-jerk response: I think it depends on the person. Some people are able to take the zen-path towards stress management (calming environments, music, bubble baths, etc.).  But others might need a breaking event before they can truly start to manage their stress levels.  (Again, though, this is getting into psychology and I'm not well-versed in the topic Smiley
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2022, 10:11:10 PM »

Scary stuff. Glad you're OK, and good luck to you in attaining a healthier lifestyle!
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2022, 09:45:57 PM »

Glad you were able to get the hospital quickly, sorry you experienced that. Said a quick prayer for you, hope this is the last you'll have to deal with heart issues for a long time.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2022, 01:24:00 AM »

At the risk of attention whoring by bumping this thread, I just want to thank everyone quite sincerely for outpouring of support and well wishes. It was one month ago today - well, yesterday since it's after midnight and that I had my heart attack, I've been doing pretty well. I've been eating much better and have shed a solid 10 lb or so, and want to do another 10 lb. The problem is after the first two weeks the demands of my job took over again and I have not been able to get a good 20 minutes in on the treadmill or walking around the neighborhood as I did for the first two weeks. I need to do it again for the sake of my heart as well as to lose those additional pounds.

But what can I do? I put in a fool 7 hour day today driving 4 hours round trip to visit incarcerated client and meeting with him in the jail library for 3 hours. Last weekend I put in a solid 10 and 1/2 hours on Sunday. The saddest part is it isn't being a workaholic for the sake of work, but having to put in those enormous number of hours in order to keep my chin barely above water with the demands of my job.

But enough whining. I'll find the solution I'm reasonably certain. Or at least hoping. Thank you again everyone for your kind words and well wishes. Wish me luck.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2022, 12:44:31 PM »

At the risk of attention whoring by bumping this thread, I just want to thank everyone quite sincerely for outpouring of support and well wishes. It was one month ago today - well, yesterday since it's after midnight and that I had my heart attack, I've been doing pretty well. I've been eating much better and have shed a solid 10 lb or so, and want to do another 10 lb. The problem is after the first two weeks the demands of my job took over again and I have not been able to get a good 20 minutes in on the treadmill or walking around the neighborhood as I did for the first two weeks. I need to do it again for the sake of my heart as well as to lose those additional pounds.

But what can I do? I put in a fool 7 hour day today driving 4 hours round trip to visit incarcerated client and meeting with him in the jail library for 3 hours. Last weekend I put in a solid 10 and 1/2 hours on Sunday. The saddest part is it isn't being a workaholic for the sake of work, but having to put in those enormous number of hours in order to keep my chin barely above water with the demands of my job.

But enough whining. I'll find the solution I'm reasonably certain. Or at least hoping. Thank you again everyone for your kind words and well wishes. Wish me luck.

Good luck in your endeavour!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2022, 12:49:00 PM »

Good luck in your endeavour!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies