So I had a heart attack today (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:47:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So I had a heart attack today (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So I had a heart attack today  (Read 1768 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« on: June 30, 2022, 06:09:08 PM »
« edited: June 30, 2022, 06:25:47 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Oh no, Badger! Will most definitely be thinking of you.  

Just as a little bit of a PSA for us all (and one, as usual, that nobody asked for): the Hollywood-clichè "clutch the chest, keel over" stereotype isn't always what happens with heart attacks.  

MI's in men may begin as a sensation similar to indigestion.  If it progresses to shortness of breath, cold sweats, numbness in the extremities, squeezing pain in the chest (angina) that radiates to the neck/jaw, etc., seek medical attention immediately.  

Infarctions in women don't always involve acute chest pain (though they can).  For some reason, female heart attacks may begin as stomach pains, dizziness, or isolated pain in the neck or jaw. Still, heart attacks in women are typically accompanied by cold sweats, shortness of breath, and so on.  

Oh and if you suspect a heart attack, call 911 first, then make sure to CHEW Aspirin rather than swallowing it whole. Chewing helps deliver the Aspirin much faster to your bloodstream.  

Know the signs, folks.  And get better soon, Badger! Purple heart
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 07:42:12 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2022, 08:02:16 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Glad to hear you're OK! How big of an attack does it qualify as? Hopefully not too bad. You're too young for that.

Time to leave the red meat for the voters and not your gullet Tongue

Obviously can't answer for Badger without specifics, but in general:  

1.  The CAS (coronary artery spasm) infarction is often referred to as the "silent" heart attack.  This occurs when a coronary artery tightens (or "spasms"), restricting blood flow.  The silent moniker stems from the fact that people may experience symptoms that pass after some time.  It is not until later -- via blood test, etc. etc. -- that they are made aware that they have had a heart attack.  CAS infarctions can still be quite serious, though, and should warrant medical attention.  

2.  An NSTEMI (Non-ST-segment-elevated myocardial infarction) is your "mild" heart attack.  This is typically caused by <100% arterial blockage.  Without getting too deep into the medical mumbo-jumbo, NSTEMI's get their name due to the fact that the EKG segments (the line thingy in my signature) won't be elevated.  As with a CAS-I, it's still a medical emergency that requires immediate attention.  

3.  A STEMI (ST-segment-elevated myocardial infarction) is your "massive" heart attack -- the clutch-and-drop infarction.  This is typically caused by 100% arterial blockage.  Here, the EKG segments are markedly elevated.  This is a true medical emergency in every sense of the terminology -- every precious second counts with a STEMI.  
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 06:42:03 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2022, 06:47:36 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

So I just talked to the doctor and will be getting out of here in the next few hours. So I'm going to have to take medications, including baby aspirin every day for the rest of my life. No biggie.

I'm going to have to find a new cardio of at least 20 minutes, if not 30 to 40, every day. A hassle, but I'll just watch TV I guess while walking and killed two birds with one stone and what little free time I have.

But the big kicker is I've got a really cut down on carbs. Ugh! That is not going to be easy.

To answer your question about how the EMT's were able to detect an NSTEMI on your EKG, we typically see other indicators on the readout depending on the nature of the NSEMI.  

One of these is the "ST depression".  On my signature, the plunge after the "4" on the EKG readout would be much deeper than it appears there.  (Remember that NSTEMI stands for Non-ST-Elevated-Myocardial-Infarction).  

For the STEMI (the "massive" heart attack), that plunge is much more shallow than it appears there -- hence the ST-Elevated-Myocardial-Infarction.  

Another is called a "T-inversion".  On my signature, you'll notice the little hump there at the end of the line, underneath Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell's picture.  During an NSTEMI, that hump is flipped upside down (and looks like a "U").  

---

Also Badger, I'm not a psychologist, but make sure you're taking care of yourself mentally as well.  You've just been through a scary event.  Be sure to do what you can to limit your stress.  And please be kind to yourself!

---

Alrighty everybody.  Be sure to read chapters eleven and twelve for tomorrow, quiz on Friday.  
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 08:17:15 PM »

So I just talked to the doctor and will be getting out of here in the next few hours. So I'm going to have to take medications, including baby aspirin every day for the rest of my life. No biggie.

I'm going to have to find a new cardio of at least 20 minutes, if not 30 to 40, every day. A hassle, but I'll just watch TV I guess while walking and killed two birds with one stone and what little free time I have.

But the big kicker is I've got a really cut down on carbs. Ugh! That is not going to be easy.

---

Also Badger, I'm not a psychologist, but make sure you're taking care of yourself mentally as well.  You've just been through a scary event.  Be sure to do what you can to limit your stress.  And please be kind to yourself!

Serious question. I'm embarrassed to use this citation, but I've seen multiple sitcom tropes where someone gets a diagnosis of high blood pressure, heart problems, hypertension, etc, and they are instructed to try to take it easy. It's only when the individual actually bursts loose and benster spleen somewhat that they actually suffer a reduction in stress. Off the top of my head I can think of all in the family, the jeffersons, and MASH.

Any truth to that whatsoever, or has TV from my childhood lied to me?

Sorry, Badge, you're gonna have to clarify "benster spleen" for me Smiley
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 12:40:56 PM »

---

Serious question. I'm embarrassed to use this citation, but I've seen multiple sitcom tropes where someone gets a diagnosis of high blood pressure, heart problems, hypertension, etc, and they are instructed to try to take it easy. It's only when the individual actually bursts loose and benster spleen somewhat that they actually suffer a reduction in stress. Off the top of my head I can think of all in the family, the jeffersons, and MASH.

Any truth to that whatsoever, or has TV from my childhood lied to me?

Sorry, Badge, you're gonna have to clarify "benster spleen" for me Smiley

Sorry. We've been through this voice to text app drill before. I meant vent ones spleen

Ah, I'm actually not certain if there's literature to back that up (I'm not aware of any).  Stress-management can be tricky because it straddles management in both the physical and the psychological realm -- and the latter is outside of my jurisdiction. 

Just knee-jerk response: I think it depends on the person. Some people are able to take the zen-path towards stress management (calming environments, music, bubble baths, etc.).  But others might need a breaking event before they can truly start to manage their stress levels.  (Again, though, this is getting into psychology and I'm not well-versed in the topic Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies