So I had a heart attack today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:43:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So I had a heart attack today
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: So I had a heart attack today  (Read 1683 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2022, 07:24:50 PM »

Glad to hear you're OK! How big of an attack does it qualify as? Hopefully not too bad. You're too young for that.

Time to leave the red meat for the voters and not your gullet Tongue
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2022, 07:42:12 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2022, 08:02:16 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Glad to hear you're OK! How big of an attack does it qualify as? Hopefully not too bad. You're too young for that.

Obviously can't answer for Badger without specifics, but in general:  

1.  The CAS (coronary artery spasm) infarction is often referred to as the "silent" heart attack.  This occurs when a coronary artery tightens (or "spasms"), restricting blood flow.  The silent moniker stems from the fact that people may experience symptoms that pass after some time.  It is not until later -- via blood test, etc. etc. -- that they are made aware that they have had a heart attack.  CAS infarctions can still be quite serious, though, and should warrant medical attention.  

2.  An NSTEMI (Non-ST-segment-elevated myocardial infarction) is your "mild" heart attack.  This is typically caused by <100% arterial blockage.  Without getting too deep into the medical mumbo-jumbo, NSTEMI's get their name due to the fact that the EKG segments (the line thingy in my signature) won't be elevated.  As with a CAS-I, it's still a medical emergency that requires immediate attention.  

3.  A STEMI (ST-segment-elevated myocardial infarction) is your "massive" heart attack -- the clutch-and-drop infarction.  This is typically caused by 100% arterial blockage.  Here, the EKG segments are markedly elevated.  This is a true medical emergency in every sense of the terminology -- every precious second counts with a STEMI.  
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2022, 07:52:56 PM »

Glad to hear you're recovering and I'll be praying for you!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2022, 07:55:39 PM »

Glad to hear that you're still with us. God willing that something won't happen where you have to leave your family behind. It's a terrifying thought when you have loved ones and something like that happens to you.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2022, 08:25:00 PM »

Glad you aren't dead.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2022, 09:09:01 PM »

Get well and stay well!

The world needs more Badgers.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2022, 09:12:18 PM »

Get well and stay well!

The world needs more Badgers.

Here they are.

Get well soon.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2022, 09:16:52 PM »

Feel better soon!
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2022, 09:17:58 PM »

While we don't agree on much, I hope you get better soon!
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2022, 09:27:25 PM »

Glad to hear you're doing better and that you're seeming to take it in stride. My dad's your age, so this hurts me to hear in that aspect too. Hope everything goes well in your recovery.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2022, 11:04:24 PM »

Badgers are tough animals, so they say.

Like everyone else here I'll be praying for a full and speedy recovery and more time with your loved ones.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 12:29:57 AM »

Not very good with these sort of things, and plus many other posters have already expressed similar sentiments to mine...

Still not good... heavy s**t...

Never remember meeting one of my Grandfathers bcs he died of a heat attack after a stroke when I was only 1 1/2.

Not a Christian, but wish you the best blessings and recovery to enjoy life with your wife and family, since am increasingly starting to realize how short human life actually is over the decades of existence.

FWIW... you've always been one of my favorite Atlas Posters of recent decade....   Wink
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 12:36:49 AM »

It's great to see that you are still alive. I hope you get better.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2022, 03:45:55 AM »

Me too!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2022, 03:46:51 AM »

Obviously can't answer for Badger without specifics, but in general:  

1.  The CAS (coronary artery spasm) infarction is often referred to as the "silent" heart attack.  This occurs when a coronary artery tightens (or "spasms"), restricting blood flow.  The silent moniker stems from the fact that people may experience symptoms that pass after some time.  It is not until later -- via blood test, etc. etc. -- that they are made aware that they have had a heart attack.  CAS infarctions can still be quite serious, though, and should warrant medical attention.  

2.  An NSTEMI (Non-ST-segment-elevated myocardial infarction) is your "mild" heart attack.  This is typically caused by <100% arterial blockage.  Without getting too deep into the medical mumbo-jumbo, NSTEMI's get their name due to the fact that the EKG segments (the line thingy in my signature) won't be elevated.  As with a CAS-I, it's still a medical emergency that requires immediate attention.  

3.  A STEMI (ST-segment-elevated myocardial infarction) is your "massive" heart attack -- the clutch-and-drop infarction.  This is typically caused by 100% arterial blockage.  Here, the EKG segments are markedly elevated.  This is a true medical emergency in every sense of the terminology -- every precious second counts with a STEMI.  

Thanks virginia. And this was definitely a textbook Category 2 NSTEMI attack. Though with the one possible exception, pqg, that even the paramedics were able to tell from my EKG that I was in fact having a heart attack?
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2022, 04:25:06 AM »

I feel sorry for the heart attack for having Badger.

No, I jest, but seriously get well soon! Smiley
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2022, 05:48:41 AM »

Keeping you in my thoughts. Here's to another 53 (or however many you want).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2022, 06:21:20 AM »

Hardly surprising given that so many of your posts read as though they were written in the throes of a stroke. Wink In all seriousness, I'm really glad you're ok. Lord knows we don't have enough lawyers in this country; we can't afford to lose any more.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2022, 06:21:58 AM »

So I just talked to the doctor and will be getting out of here in the next few hours. So I'm going to have to take medications, including baby aspirin every day for the rest of my life. No biggie.

I'm going to have to find a new cardio of at least 20 minutes, if not 30 to 40, every day. A hassle, but I'll just watch TV I guess while walking and killed two birds with one stone and what little free time I have.

But the big kicker is I've got a really cut down on carbs. Ugh! That is not going to be easy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2022, 06:25:59 AM »

So I just talked to the doctor and will be getting out of here in the next few hours. So I'm going to have to take medications, including baby aspirin every day for the rest of my life. No biggie.

I'm going to have to find a new cardio of at least 20 minutes, if not 30 to 40, every day. A hassle, but I'll just watch TV I guess while walking and killed two birds with one stone and what little free time I have.

But the big kicker is I've got a really cut down on carbs. Ugh! That is not going to be easy. I'll miss pasta. Cry
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2022, 06:42:03 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2022, 06:47:36 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

But the big kicker is I've got a really cut down on carbs. Ugh! That is not going to be easy.

To answer your question about how the EMT's were able to detect an NSTEMI on your EKG, we typically see other indicators on the readout depending on the nature of the NSEMI.  

One of these is the "ST depression".  On my signature, the plunge after the "4" on the EKG readout would be much deeper than it appears there.  (Remember that NSTEMI stands for Non-ST-Elevated-Myocardial-Infarction).  

For the STEMI (the "massive" heart attack), that plunge is much more shallow than it appears there -- hence the ST-Elevated-Myocardial-Infarction.  

Another is called a "T-inversion".  On my signature, you'll notice the little hump there at the end of the line, underneath Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell's picture.  During an NSTEMI, that hump is flipped upside down (and looks like a "U").  

---

Also Badger, I'm not a psychologist, but make sure you're taking care of yourself mentally as well.  You've just been through a scary event.  Be sure to do what you can to limit your stress.  And please be kind to yourself!

---

Alrighty everybody.  Be sure to read chapters eleven and twelve for tomorrow, quiz on Friday.  
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2022, 07:38:09 AM »

I don't know how much reading you typically do, but if it's 20+ minutes a day you can avoid losing any free time just by listening to audiobooks of those same books on your walks.

Eggs are a great low-carb food if and only if the fat content isn't a problem - ask your doctor on that one.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2022, 08:12:47 AM »

I don't know how much reading you typically do, but if it's 20+ minutes a day you can avoid losing any free time just by listening to audiobooks of those same books on your walks.

Eggs are a great low-carb food if and only if the fat content isn't a problem - ask your doctor on that one.

Or serial podcasts.  My wife and I do two 30-minute walks a day, and she's currently listening to one called "Cabin Pressure" during them.  The episodes are 28 minutes long, which works out perfectly.

Glad to hear you're doing OK, Badger.  I had a chest pain scare a few years ago and ended up in the ER, but fortunately it turned out to be costochondritis (an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the breastbone), which is nothing serious.  But it was pretty scary until they came back with the test results.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2022, 08:41:47 AM »

Ugh, that reads scary. But I'm very relieved you're better now. Heart attacks are quite serious and can happen to everyone regardless of age. I long thought heart attacks to be different very sudden while people surrounding patients not always immediate realize the severity of the seriousness of the situation.

Actually surprised you're 53, I though mid or late 30s, tbh. Still way too young for this kind of cr*p. Take care.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2022, 01:18:09 PM »

Rest up.  Post on Atlas less
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »