Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:01:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 209546 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3675 on: November 10, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »

Oh how I adore this post.

Steve Stivers, what an idiot you are.

I don't blame Steve here. It was definitely idiot donors who loved Comstock.
See I knew Comstock was basically Safe D but I didn't expect her to lose by 13 points I thought it would be upper single due to the 5 million they spent.

Stivers was head of the R Triple C. Generally speaking, he had final say on where the money was allocated. As this tweet shows this is rccc money flushed down the toilet helping Comstock in what everybody from both side saw was a doomed reelection campaign. Why on Earth should be held accountable for this?

Again, not that I'm complaining.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3676 on: November 10, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »

Slightly underrunning by McSally; not as badly as some other counties
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3677 on: November 10, 2018, 02:54:49 PM »

Oh how I adore this post.

Steve Stivers, what an idiot you are.

I have a theory as to how Comstock got all that extra late money after the NRCC had already pulled their funds. If you remember, Comstock got those funds back right around the same time all the skeletons in Kavanaugh's closet came out. Comstock and Kavanaugh have been acquaintances/friends for at least 10-20 years through their prior work in the Bush administration. What if she had more dirt or could corroborate some of the allegations against Kavanugh? Not saying that he tried to rape her, but rather maybe a story from his prep school or college days was well known around their social circles. What if she threatens to take this public unless she gets more funds from the NRCC?

Probably didn't happen, but it's the best explanation I have.

Interesting, but even a Kavanagh hater like me thinks that's too far-fetched to give much credence.

Maybe another more Salient explanation is Kavanaugh's word suddenly became gold among Republican activist so a good word about Comstock here and there, even if past second hand from Cavanaugh, could have raised her vast sums of money.

For comparison's sake, think about how I candidate who is close to dr. Ford would have done if she got the word out directly or through intermediaries that say Wexler was on her side and trustworthy?

Not saying it happened, but it does make a bit more sense then a possible blackmail angle. Though the ladder would obviously make some awesomely juicy fanfiction. Grin
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3678 on: November 10, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3679 on: November 10, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »

Mohave is the most Republican county in Arizona.

It appears to have either exhausted all its votes or very close to it.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3680 on: November 10, 2018, 03:31:21 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3681 on: November 10, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »

I really cannot see a path for McSally. The vast majority of the votes that are left are in Sinema's territory.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3682 on: November 10, 2018, 03:38:50 PM »

This was actually a big one for McSally, she won by 25%, but it was only a net gain of 400 votes. Unless she gets that kind of a margin from Maricopa as well, there's no path for her.
Thatkat04
« Reply #3683 on: November 10, 2018, 03:51:00 PM »

Navajo County has a very large Mormon population. Would not shock me if this latest dump included a substantial amount of Mormons.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3684 on: November 10, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »

So much for the most conservative generation in American history Tongue
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3685 on: November 10, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »

I really cannot see a path for McSally. The vast majority of the votes that are left are in Sinema's territory.

Coconino, Maricopa, Pima, and Pinal are the only 4 counties left with a significant number of outstanding ballots.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3686 on: November 10, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »

Coconino, Maricopa, Pima, and Pinal are the only 4 counties left with a significant number of outstanding ballots.

So it's over unless Pinal and especially the last batch of Maricopa are McSally blowouts.  And Maricopa should have one more Lean Sinema batch before then.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3687 on: November 10, 2018, 04:03:47 PM »

ikr? If anything, they are getting more Democratic/left-leaning. 18-24 year olds continue to be the strongest age cohort for Democrats, when they vote, anyway.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3688 on: November 10, 2018, 04:03:53 PM »

So it's over unless Pinal and especially the last batch of Maricopa are McSally blowouts.  And Maricopa should have one more Lean Sinema batch before then.

You got it.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3689 on: November 10, 2018, 04:08:49 PM »

You got it.

I guess Wasserman should call it for Sinema once Pima and Maricopa come in today.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3690 on: November 10, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »

You got it.

I guess Wasserman should call it for Sinema once Pima and Maricopa come in today.

Are we getting anything from Pima today, though? I thought we'd get more from Pima on Tuesday.
adma
« Reply #3691 on: November 10, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »

ikr? If anything, they are getting more Democratic/left-leaning. 18-24 year olds continue to be the strongest age cohort for Democrats, when they vote, anyway.

I think that "most conservative generation" remark was meant sarcastically.

(Though ironically these days, Dem/left-leaning *might as well* reflect something "conservative"--in the non-political, "sensible" sense: Ocasio-Cortez as the polar opposite of the excesses of Trump, Kavanaugh, Roy Moore et al.)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3692 on: November 10, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »

(Though ironically these days, Dem/left-leaning *might as well* reflect something "conservative"--in the non-political, "sensible" sense: Ocasio-Cortez as the polar opposite of the excesses of Trump, Kavanaugh, Roy Moore et al.)

Yea, the Nazi generation thing was a joke, but there was a serious argument that "generation z" or whatever it is being called was going to be more conservative than Millennials. People even cited dubious studies from the UK. But, I guess to be fair, "more conservative" doesn't mean Republican-leaning. It just means less Democratic-leaning than Millennials.

Either way, that's not the case so far. Whenever it does become the case, it will be hard to miss.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3693 on: November 10, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »

Yea, the Nazi generation thing was a joke, but there was a serious argument that "generation z" or whatever it is being called was going to be more conservative than Millennials. People even cited dubious studies from the UK. But, I guess to be fair, "more conservative" doesn't mean Republican-leaning. It just means less Democratic-leaning than Millennials.

Either way, that's not the case so far. Whenever it does become the case, it will be hard to miss.

TBF, they might have been a more conservative generation had Clinton been election. Trump is going to do to Zers what Bush did to Millennials.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3694 on: November 10, 2018, 05:28:10 PM »

Per the AZ Data Guru and the CNN maps, McSally gained a couple thousand votes today (so far).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3695 on: November 10, 2018, 05:30:24 PM »

TBF, they might have been a more conservative generation had Clinton been election. Trump is going to do to Zers what Bush did to Millennials.

One of the few things to ease my worries under Trump is thinking about the catastrophe that would have awaited us had Clinton won. Given what we saw on Tuesday, it's fair to say that Republicans would have a real good shot at a filibuster proof majority, and even bigger House majority, absurdly dominant power at the state level right before redistricting (again), and they'd most likely win the White House in 2020 anyway. That would basically be 2009-level of power for Republicans for at least 2 years, and a Senate majority that might last decade(s).

Whatever one thinks about Trump, we really did dodge a bullet there.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3696 on: November 10, 2018, 05:31:58 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2018, 05:39:01 PM by Hindsight is 2020 »

Per the AZ Data Guru and the CNN maps, McSally gained a couple thousand votes today (so far).

Problem for her is it came from her best counties where she needs bigger margins
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3697 on: November 10, 2018, 05:35:56 PM »

Problem for her is it cane from her best counties where she needs bigger margins

Yup. Sinema is still ahead 18K
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3698 on: November 10, 2018, 05:45:01 PM »

One of the few things to ease my worries under Trump is thinking about the catastrophe that would have awaited us had Clinton won. Given what we saw on Tuesday, it's fair to say that Republicans would have a real good shot at a filibuster proof majority, and even bigger House majority, absurdly dominant power at the state level right before redistricting (again), and they'd most likely win the White House in 2020 anyway. That would basically be 2009-level of power for Republicans for at least 2 years, and a Senate majority that might last decade(s).

Whatever one thinks about Trump, we really did dodge a bullet there.

The question becomes is all that worth a Supreme Court Majority. I'm assuming a Clinton win would also come with a small Democratic majority in the Senate (flipping MO, PA and WI).
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3699 on: November 10, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »

Problem for her is it came from her best counties where she needs bigger margins
Isn't there supposed to be a pro-McSally dump from Maricopa coming up?
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies