Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:07:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1 (search mode)
Thread note

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 204066 times)
adma
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:47:31 PM »

It says something about the "urbanization" of the Dems that of the GOP seats remaining in Oklahoma, OK-1 (centred upon Tulsa) was the closest--OK-2, at one point Oklahoma's "token Dem" seat, is now 2nd best for GOP.

Oh, and while there's talk of AOC as the youngest elected female, there's also the matter of Shalala as oldest--and very nearly, the oldest of anyone, ever...

https://history.house.gov/HistoricalHighlight/Detail/15032400044?ret=True
adma
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »

So much for the most conservative generation in American history Tongue

ikr? If anything, they are getting more Democratic/left-leaning. 18-24 year olds continue to be the strongest age cohort for Democrats, when they vote, anyway.

I think that "most conservative generation" remark was meant sarcastically.

(Though ironically these days, Dem/left-leaning *might as well* reflect something "conservative"--in the non-political, "sensible" sense: Ocasio-Cortez as the polar opposite of the excesses of Trump, Kavanaugh, Roy Moore et al.)
adma
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 08:35:38 PM »

So much for the most conservative generation in American history Tongue

ikr? If anything, they are getting more Democratic/left-leaning. 18-24 year olds continue to be the strongest age cohort for Democrats, when they vote, anyway.

I think that "most conservative generation" remark was meant sarcastically.

(Though ironically these days, Dem/left-leaning *might as well* reflect something "conservative"--in the non-political, "sensible" sense: Ocasio-Cortez as the polar opposite of the excesses of Trump, Kavanaugh, Roy Moore et al.)

Yea, the Nazi generation thing was a joke, but there was a serious argument that "generation z" or whatever it is being called was going to be more conservative than Millennials. People even cited dubious studies from the UK. But, I guess to be fair, "more conservative" doesn't mean Republican-leaning. It just means less Democratic-leaning than Millennials.

Either way, that's not the case so far. Whenever it does become the case, it will be hard to miss.

Not even "less Dem-leaning", necessarily.  I think what it really is, is a wishful misreading of "more conservative"--that is, it doesn't mean less Dem-leaning, so much as it means less likely to be drunken/rapey in college a la Kavanaugh.  Which might, in fact, reflexively mean *more* Dem-leaning in an era when the GOP's become the party of radicalism and wretched excess in the self-styled guise of "conservativism"...
adma
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »

If it wasn't for gerrymandering, Dems probably would've been a lot closer to that 63 number.

That seems unlikely to me because, without gerrymandering, they already would have been much closer to a majority after 2016.

Unless we go by the hypothetical of all the states "doing a Pennsylvania" at once post-2016.
adma
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 01:05:04 AM »

Is it just me or is Sinema insanely attractive?

"I wanna live with a Sinema girl
I could be happy the rest of my life
With a Sinema girl"
adma
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 07:59:00 PM »

Well, rock me gently.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies