Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:32:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 ... 1169
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 912941 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3400 on: February 26, 2022, 06:14:37 PM »

related:
Lol.
I'm not even upset if that's bad intelligence or not. The memes are outright hilarious.
Memes help make moments like this not terrible to go through.

I want to see WBC-style memes against Russia/Putin.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3401 on: February 26, 2022, 06:15:50 PM »

These stories and pictures of Ukrainian civilians being given weapons create images of the Volkssturm in 1945.  They were and are still are bad idea not just because of the lives it cost but they were mostly ineffective.  German generals in 1945 often complain that the Volkssturm units were better of being disbanded and instead working in the German army itself to work on logistics and communications versus trying to fight the USSR forces in battle,
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3402 on: February 26, 2022, 06:15:59 PM »

Oil depot near Vasylkiv hit

Could this be like the 1991 ecocide that Saddam committed when he was running away from Kuwait?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3403 on: February 26, 2022, 06:18:36 PM »

These stories and pictures of Ukrainian civilians being given weapons create images of the Volkssturm in 1945.  They were and are still are bad idea not just because of the lives it cost but they were mostly ineffective.  German generals in 1945 often complain that the Volkssturm units were better of being disbanded and instead working in the German army itself to work on logistics and communications versus trying to fight the USSR forces in battle,

The main difference between the German Volkssturm in 1945 and Ukrainian civilians today is certainly a significantly different level in morale. My own grandfather deserted before he could be drafted into the Volkssturm.

Maybe more importantly, why do you continue to be Putin's useful idiot? Are you getting paid by him or what?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3404 on: February 26, 2022, 06:19:33 PM »

related:
Lol.
I'm not even upset if that's bad intelligence or not. The memes are outright hilarious.
Memes help make moments like this not terrible to go through.

I want to see WBC-style memes against Russia/Putin.
Found this one off the polandball subreddit
Short, simple, to the point.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3405 on: February 26, 2022, 06:20:33 PM »

The main difference between the German Volkssturm in 1945 and Ukrainian civilians today is certainly a significantly different level in morale. My own grandfather deserted before he could be drafted into the Volkssturm.

Maybe more importantly, why do you continue to be Putin's useful idiot? Are you getting paid by him or what?
We don't need this sort of toxicity in here. Cut it out.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3406 on: February 26, 2022, 06:21:20 PM »

No.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3407 on: February 26, 2022, 06:23:15 PM »

Oil depot near Vasylkiv hit

The Question is: Who blew it up? The Russians or the Ukrainians to prevent getting refuelled.

But the Vasylkiv Air Force needs it too to refuel their Fighters.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3408 on: February 26, 2022, 06:23:54 PM »

jaichind lives in a cuh-razy, topsy-turvy world where cats chase dogs, hot snow falls up, and libertarianism is when strongmen brutalize their own and neighboring populations.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3409 on: February 26, 2022, 06:24:39 PM »

No.
Instead of engaging what jaichind said (including the question as to whether civilians can fight properly), you throw accusations of him being paid by Putin?
Good lord. What a disgrace. We don't need any of that here, and he is owed an apology.
That is all.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3410 on: February 26, 2022, 06:24:50 PM »

That could be.  My point still is that it might make Ukrainian citizens feel better to be firing a rifle at the Russians but they will be helping more if they help with logistics, preparing defensive positions, and destroying roads to block Russian advances.  Untrained units carrying weapons never add up to much in terms of military effectiveness.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3411 on: February 26, 2022, 06:26:27 PM »

No.
Instead of engaging what jaichind said (including the question as to whether civilians can fight properly), you throw accusations of him being paid by Putin?
Good lord. What a disgrace. We don't need any of that here, and he is owed an apology.
That is all.
My eyes rolled so far back reading this, they did a full 360.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3412 on: February 26, 2022, 06:27:19 PM »

That could be.  My point still is that it might make Ukrainian citizens feel better to be firing a rifle at the Russians but they will be helping more if they help with logistics, preparing defensive positions, and destroying roads to block Russian advances.  Untrained units carrying weapons never add up to much in terms of military effectiveness.
People can be utilized multiple ways.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3413 on: February 26, 2022, 06:30:50 PM »

The current Russian offensive has some similarities to the Summer-Fall 1943 USSR offensive with the key difference Russia holds Belorus and Crimea.  Note the offensive ends on the Dnieper River where I suspect Russia will stop and consolidate.

The bad news for Ukraine and the 1944 Germans is that the Dnieper River has a higher East bank which makes it harder to defend the West bank.  

The tricky part for Russia is that Western Ukraine is a much tougher nut to crack in terms of terrain.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3414 on: February 26, 2022, 06:31:44 PM »

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3415 on: February 26, 2022, 06:31:45 PM »

No.
That is all.

If anyone is owned an apology, it's us, for your disgraceful simping.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3416 on: February 26, 2022, 06:31:50 PM »

jaichind lives in a cuh-razy, topsy-turvy world where cats chase dogs, hot snow falls up, and libertarianism is when strongmen brutalize their own and neighboring populations.

I have my theories about him. Most of them are borrowed from my brother who runs a psychotherapy clinic for the VA. They mostly revolve around not being amoral inasmuch as maybe being a trait of neurodiversity. I mean, the typical person who makes half a million a year, especially in my field, but they are many in his, are generally not the most neurotypical.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3417 on: February 26, 2022, 06:31:59 PM »

No.
That is all.

I'm never going to apologize to someone who compared present-day Ukrainians to the Nazis, therefore parroting Vladimir Putin's line of propaganda.

THAT is all.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #3418 on: February 26, 2022, 06:33:47 PM »

No, what we don’t need are Putin shills and pathetic both-sides equivocators.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3419 on: February 26, 2022, 06:34:18 PM »

I have my theories about him. Most of them are borrowed from my brother who runs a psychotherapy clinic for the VA. They mostly revolve around not being amoral inasmuch as maybe being a trait of neurodiversity. I mean, the typical person who makes half a million a year, especially in my field, but they are many in his, are generally not the most neurotypical.

I'm autistic and I can confirm that it's no excuse for being like the Scarsdale Sadist.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3420 on: February 26, 2022, 06:35:10 PM »

Regardless of the actual war situation, looks like ordinary people are contributing generously to help feed Ukranian refugees in and around the Polish border...

"Employees from a catering company, Viking Kitchen, delivered thousands of bagged lunches for refugees at the Przemysl train station near the border of Poland and Ukraine."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/26/world/ukraine-russia-war
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3421 on: February 26, 2022, 06:37:03 PM »

Confirmed!

Russian Missle blew up Vasilkyv Oil Depot
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3422 on: February 26, 2022, 06:37:15 PM »

Side note.... please everyone can we keep it civil and leave some of the personal debates and disputes for elsewhere / later?

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3423 on: February 26, 2022, 06:41:42 PM »

Movement to boycott Russian products in the US gains increased traction among political figures...

Russian Vodka in particular being targeted which now includes Republican Governors of New Hampshire and Ohio, aside from Abbot's "request" in Texas...

"Azi Paybarah
Feb. 26, 2022, 6:33 p.m. ET5 minutes ago
5 minutes ago
Azi Paybarah

Putin’s critics call for boycotts of Russian vodka.

"Vodka, a drink that was popularized in the West by James Bond and that has long been one of Russia’s most visible exports, is now the target of international anger over the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

In New Hampshire, where liquor and wine are sold through state-run stores, Gov. Chris Sununu, a Republican, announced on Saturday the removal of “Russian-made and Russian-branded spirits from our liquor and wine outlets until further notice.” In Ohio, where the state contracts with private businesses to sell liquor, Gov. Mike DeWine, also a Republican, announced a halt to state purchases and sales of Russian Standard Vodka.
"

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/26/world/ukraine-russia-war
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3424 on: February 26, 2022, 06:42:26 PM »

I'm autistic and I can confirm that it's no excuse for being like the Scarsdale Sadist.

I didn’t necessarily say that.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 ... 1169  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies