COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:57:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 115066 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 06, 2020, 08:03:37 AM »

My local PetsMart has a new setup where you have to order and pay online, and then later when you arrive, you call and they come outside and put your items in your car. They required my address and email address on top of my credit card payment and phone number. I don't lile giving companies all this info and typically would take my business elsewhere, but I don't want to buy crickets online. Can't let my elderly leopard gecko starve.

Big picture, I'm thankful that these are the problems I'm dealing with during COVID-19 and not health issues or death of myself or loved ones. My life is blessed, inshallah.

Except for a phone number, that's the same info you'd give if you had it shipped to you, so I don't see the issue.  My bookstore has the same set up.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 08:17:46 AM »

RE: toilet paper

Someone may have mentioned this earlier, but I haven't had time to keep up with the thread.  I was in the office on Saturday and the Facilities Manager was there and asked me if I needed any TP and offered one of the giant rolls that you see in commercial buildings, I declined as I'm still stocked.  He said that it's not just hoarding that caused the TP shortage, it's the fact that everyone is at home.  He said home consumption is up 40% because people aren't using commercial restrooms in offices/schools etc... They're obviously two quite different forms of TP and the supply chain can't just turn on a dime like that.  People aren't exactly storming the Superdome for it's sweet TP supply yet, but i guess it's an option.

You see it in other things too.  Fresh seafood, especially crawfish are plentiful and cheap around here because the industry is accustomed to supplying restaurants and even on an ordinary week, New Orleans feeds a ton of tourists.  I saw an article about vegeetable growers in South Florida that traditionally supply the cruise lines that are basically gave away a harvest to food banks but now are plowing under crops because they can't afford to harvest, and i guess no one is nimble enough to make it financially possible to repurpose that product.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »

What the hell does that mean?

Just internet dumbassery
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 09:15:49 PM »

And we have lost John Prine Sad

One of the nine toughest moments of my life.

Yeah, super depressing.  Another musical genius, Hal Willner passed away today.  I'm on mobile and too tired to provide a link but he put together some amazing musical projects.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 05:33:21 PM »

Here's the thing, though: it could be either case (or somewhere in between), and we won't know with any degree of certainty until well after this is all over, which is a terrible position for a policymaker to be in.

Right now, there seems to be ample evidence that societies that had the ability/will to test, trace and isolate outperform those lacked it by wide margins.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »

Here's a good article on the test, trace and isolate efforts that will have to be put together before the US can reopen and the various efforts being taken to put together programs by states thus far

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/10/contact-tracing-coronavirus-strategy/

Of course, we need a ton of tests, and  we need an army of tracers and we need to maintain the isolaters.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 06:45:00 PM »

Meat processing plants are the new hot spots

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/business/meat-plant-closures-smithfield/index.html

The one is Sioux Falls employs 3700 people and the number of positive cases was up to almost 300 at last count.

"The closure of this facility, combined with a growing list of other protein plants that have shuttered across our industry, is pushing our country perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply," the meat processor's chief executive, Kenneth Sullivan, said in a statement Sunday.
"It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running," he said. "These facility closures will also have severe, perhaps disastrous, repercussions for many in the supply chain."

Load up on the bacon boys.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/business/meat-plant-closures-smithfield/index.html

The one is Sioux Falls employs 3700 people and the number of positive cases was up to almost 300 at last count.

"The closure of this facility, combined with a growing list of other protein plants that have shuttered across our industry, is pushing our country perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply," the meat processor's chief executive, Kenneth Sullivan, said in a statement Sunday.
"It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running," he said. "These facility closures will also have severe, perhaps disastrous, repercussions for many in the supply chain."

Lettem get it. The workers are young anyways. The meat industry can't just halt.

Very brave of you.  How do you stop it from overwhelming the community at large?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 06:53:03 PM »

Lettem get it. The workers are young anyways. The meat industry can't just halt.

Perhaps you should go get a job in one.  IIRC you're a young person.

We will need some group to replace the line workers as they get ill and/or go into isolation.  I propose a Chicken Corp, and yes Grassr00ts can answer the call for his country.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 07:03:49 PM »

Very brave of you.  How do you stop it from overwhelming the community at large?

If it overwhelms the community, so what? Most of these plants are located in rural towns with 3,000-10,000 people.

You may want to consider a Marie Antoinette costume this Halloween.  
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 07:15:02 PM »

The church near my neighborhood was completely packed today and they had a sign on their billboard "Government can't stop us from worshiping God in the House of worship, it might work for other religions but not for us"

Die, then.  Can't say they weren't warned.
Unfortunately, those churchgoers will also have the possibility to infect innocent civilians...

That always been the problem with wishing a pox upon deplorables, you can't just limit it to affect them.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »

Starving, angry and cannibalistic: America's rats are getting desperate amid coronavirus pandemic

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 06:09:22 PM »

When Louisiana and Alabama dumbasses collide:

Lawyer for Central pastor and church bucking stay-at-home order hospitalized with coronavirus

The lawyer, Jeff Wittenbrink, attended two events at Life Tabernacle Church —  an April 2 news conference and an April 5 church service, and has been at Baton Rouge General since Tuesday after progressively worsening conditions, including a high fever and persistent cough, he said....

"I went to Albertson's twice a day. I went to Sam's. I went to Walmart. I went to Lowe's. I used the gas pumps. I mean I just wasn't careful. God knows where I got it. The bad thing is I might have spread to somebody. I feel bad about that, " he said.

If you click on the link you can see a nice shot of Mr. Wittenbrink speaking at the church on Apr 2nd standing right next to.....Roy Moore.

But wait there's more...

Member of defiant Central church dies from coronavirus illness, but pastor says it's a lie

Yeah, it's just as bad as it sounds
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »

i hate when tweets disappear
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 09:19:35 PM »

While NY has somewhat peaked, other states (particularly in the Midwest now) have begun to exponentially grow. IL alone almost registered a growth of 2,000 cases today.

In two weeks, expect another big spike in the Midwest thanks to those 'wonderful' rallies Trumpets are having.

And that's Altright by me!

I don't think we should be wishing physical infirmity on people, even reckless possibly-bused-in ideologues.

Doesn't work anyway.  They could go to the gas station or grocery store and infect non-deplorables. 

Just like this Trumpian moron:

Lawyer for Central pastor and church bucking stay-at-home order hospitalized with coronavirus

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies