DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:11:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 272010 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: January 06, 2021, 07:29:31 PM »

I wonder how this will be remembered 10 years from now
Possibly as the day the Republican Party died. I really can't see how Trumpists will be able to remain in the same party as those who don't drink his Orange Flavor-Aid.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1326 on: January 06, 2021, 07:29:34 PM »

Chief of Staff to the First Lady has resigned:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1327 on: January 06, 2021, 07:30:22 PM »

Josh Hawley has never come across to me as a very intelligent person.

Same. I've always thought that his chances were overrated. He's not charismatic and he's not very quick on his feet. He had a difficult time defending his electoral college challenge when grilled about it on Fox.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1328 on: January 06, 2021, 07:30:40 PM »

China is now sarcastically trolling:

Nothing sarcastic about it. America has a major problem.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1329 on: January 06, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »

Do Missouri and Texas have provisions to recall Senators? Hawley and Cruz need to be recalled. Their Republican governors can appoint 2 new Republicans.

Even in those States that have recall provsions, they don't apply to Federal office holders.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1330 on: January 06, 2021, 07:31:07 PM »

The international community seems far more concerned and sickened by this than the Ukraine Scandal, Mueller Report, or even Charlottesville.

As late as it is for America, there might be a real chance the 25th amendment or an impeachment occurs here.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1331 on: January 06, 2021, 07:31:30 PM »

Really? He comes across to me as a very intelligent individual, whose actions and words are carefully calculated to pander to the Trump wing of the party in order to jumpstart his 2024 bid for the presidency.

Let's dispel with this notion that Hawley doesn't know what he's doing... etc

He's not dumb but he makes All Gore look like Obama charisma wise. I also doubt he could work Trump's 2016 magic with secular whites.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1332 on: January 06, 2021, 07:31:33 PM »

From the NBC News liveblog:

Rand Paul: No more objections expected to Electoral College count

No more objections are expected as lawmakers expect to continue the certification process for the Electoral College votes Wednesday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told reporters.

Both chambers of Congress were in the midst of debate on a GOP objection to the Arizona results when supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol, forcing members of the House and Senate to flee for safety.

Legislators will vote to close debate after they resume, but Paul said he does not anticipate anymore objections to the process. Republican Sens. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley, along with other Republican lawmakers, previously threatened to object to election results in some states citing baseless claims of fraud.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1333 on: January 06, 2021, 07:31:59 PM »

It’s actually kinda cathartic to see the tear gas and flashbangs come out now.

They didn't just storm of building. They stormed active full session of Congress and all its members and staff in an active organized effort to disrupt the formal election of a new president.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1334 on: January 06, 2021, 07:32:34 PM »

i am so pissed off. absolutely vomitrocious. “Make America Great Again” really does = “Make China and Russia great again by making America look like a third world banana republic”

those people who did this today are insane and evil.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1335 on: January 06, 2021, 07:32:40 PM »

No more objections are expected as lawmakers expect to continue the certification process for the Electoral College votes Wednesday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told reporters.

Both chambers of Congress were in the midst of debate on a GOP objection to the Arizona results when supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol, forcing members of the House and Senate to flee for safety.

Legislators will vote to close debate after they resume, but Paul said he does not anticipate anymore objections to the process. Republican Sens. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley, along with other Republican lawmakers, previously threatened to object to election results in some states citing baseless claims of fraud.

The Arizona objection should never have happened in the first place. Go on Ted and Josh, don't back down now! Show us who you really are!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1336 on: January 06, 2021, 07:33:36 PM »

Violence during a transfer of power basically means America is dead.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1337 on: January 06, 2021, 07:33:41 PM »

I saw another tweet how Hawley is still planning on objecting to Pennsylvania.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1338 on: January 06, 2021, 07:34:00 PM »

Joe Kennedy III calls for the impeachment of Trump.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1339 on: January 06, 2021, 07:34:08 PM »

i am so pissed off. absolutely vomitrocious. “Make America Great Again” really does = “Make China and Russia great again by making America look like a third world banana republic”

those people who did this today are insane and evil.

RED AVATAR GOOSE!!!!!

Welcome to the team, bruh.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1340 on: January 06, 2021, 07:34:31 PM »

what in the everloving hell
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1341 on: January 06, 2021, 07:34:34 PM »

Impeach the motherf-cker
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #1342 on: January 06, 2021, 07:34:45 PM »

I'm 23 years old and I pray I never see anything like this ever again.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1343 on: January 06, 2021, 07:34:51 PM »

Really? He comes across to me as a very intelligent individual, whose actions and words are carefully calculated to pander to the Trump wing of the party in order to jumpstart his 2024 bid for the presidency.

He's not dumb but he makes All Gore look like Obama charisma wise. I also doubt he could work Trump's 2016 magic with secular whites.
He’s well educated, that doesn’t necessarily mean smart. I’ve encountered more than a few people who go through the prep school-prestigious college route, do exactly enough work to get good grades and absolutely forget everything the second they are out of class.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #1344 on: January 06, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »

Oh yeah for sure, which makes this stunt he pulled even worse. He's gonna be a non starter in the primary and will have fanned the flames of insurrection for probably nothing.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1345 on: January 06, 2021, 07:36:05 PM »

The international community seems far more concerned and sickened by this than the Ukraine Scandal, Mueller Report, or even Charlottesville.

As late as it is for America, there might be a real chance the 25th amendment or an impeachment occurs here.

This is objectively worse than all three of those combined.  
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1346 on: January 06, 2021, 07:36:19 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1347 on: January 06, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 10:03:56 PM by Badger »

Probably a naďve hope, but I really hope a slew of Republicans come forward and denounce this on a MUCH deeper level than the violence.  It HAS to be recognized that Donald Trump, in a position of almost unlimited power and influence, has literally encouraged this type of despicable behavior.  If I'm a Republican politician, I'm frankly no longer worried about the "Trumpist base" primarying me or whatever.  This is beyond the pale.  If you are worried about having to explain why you condemned THIS of all things in 2-4 years, you're insane.

Excellently put, Tom. Bravo!

However, the cynic in me feels compelled to point out that your viewpoint is nothing more than a small minority within the GOP, Nor would that substantially change even after today. More than enough Republicans will gladly shrug their shoulders and say gee what did this really have to do with the Republican party as a whole, and some will even say it really wasn't all about Trump. The fact that eighty to ninety percent of Republicans, from local voters right up to Governors and members of Congress, actively coddled, encourage, and aided and abetted Trump throughout five years of trying to literally tear down democracy at every point, arguably makes that party functionally irredeemable. I would love to be proven wrong, but after tomorrow there'll be some Converts like you, but a substantial probability of not majority active trumpist base, and another huge chunk who wanted write it off as simply being all about Trump while forgetting about how the entire party pretty much universally back him every step of the path we got to today.

No, as always, given a choice between supporting democracy and power, the vast majority of conservatives will throw democracy under the bus to gain and maintain power every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1348 on: January 06, 2021, 07:36:23 PM »

Chief of Staff to the First Lady has resigned:

Is this really what it took though? 4 years of this and they actually had to violently storm the capitol for people to say “OK, I’m out?”
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1349 on: January 06, 2021, 07:37:13 PM »

Rand Paul: They will only take 1 vote.  i.e., they want to go home.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies