DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:14:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269183 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 06, 2021, 02:26:08 PM »

How the f#ck are the Capitol Police letting this happen?!?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 02:53:22 PM »

Every single Trump supporter:

Fuzzy Bear, Sanchez, even sensible folks like Buzz.

This is your fault.  You are to blame.
Stop

No. He's right. How did people think this was gonna end?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 02:55:24 PM »

Ya'll need to chill.  A small group of crazy people are running around the capitol but there's no need to start shooting people, JFC.  Its not even comparable to this June when we had whole neighborhoods going up in flames.  The people who break the law should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  That does NOT mean opening fire on them.

This is a half million people jeopardizing the safety of our nation's leaders. Nothing has approached this since the Civil War.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »

Every single Trump supporter:

Fuzzy Bear, Sanchez, even sensible folks like Buzz.

This is your fault.  You are to blame.

No. He's right. How did people think this was gonna end?

Stop

They dont support these rioters so blaming them for something they dont support is ridiculous

They supported Trump. Ergo, they supported this very likely thing happening. Any reasonable person could have forseen this.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 02:57:24 PM »

Ya'll need to chill.  A small group of crazy people are running around the capitol but there's no need to start shooting people, JFC.  Its not even comparable to this June when we had whole neighborhoods going up in flames.  The people who break the law should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  That does NOT mean opening fire on them.

What's worse?

Storming a Target
Stroming Congress.

Pick one.

If they burn the capitol to the ground, as well as the surrounding neighborhood, you may have a point.

No neighborhood was ever burned to the ground.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 03:01:42 PM »

In June I was saying that the business owners should be shooting the looters with chain guns. I'm not about to change tune now.

Where is the looting taking place?

Yes, because looting is truly the most egregious of crimes lmao.

If trespassing and armed intimidation aren't good enough for you, nothing is.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »

One of the most surreal sights I’ve ever seen, MAGA terrorists wandering the Senate floor on national TV.

These garbage people aren't good enough to be in the Capitol of the United States. Obviously, it's comparatively trivial but seeing these dumbasses hanging around/damaging precious national heritage is infuriating.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 03:18:07 PM »

Anyone calling themselves a Republican after this will forever be associated with it.

Leaving your party is the only way to make it change, because right now it’s a party of terrorists and traitors.  If you don’t support that, leave it!

Oh stop it. Trump voters didnt turn out last night in GA which is why the Republicans lost. Most Reps dont endorse this at all and a lot have hated Trump from the start. Don't conflate the two, its lazy and incites more hatred.

If you don't like Trump, then you better have voted for Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. Period. There is no third option.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 03:21:45 PM »

The whole message is get out of the far right's way

We saw the far left do their thing in the summer, this is the right's time.

This only helps the center
What the hell are you talking about

Centrists get things done, the left and right bite each other up.

STOP CREATING FALSE EQUIVALENCIES YOU UTTER AND COMPLETE FOOL.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 03:26:38 PM »

Welp, so much for the party of law and order.

Goddamned traitors. Too bad we liberals are supposed to be against the death penalty.
You could always just be pro-gun.

Yes. Because escalating even further would totally fix America's problems.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 03:29:08 PM »

Welp, so much for the party of law and order.

Goddamned traitors. Too bad we liberals are supposed to be against the death penalty.
You could always just be pro-gun.

Yes. Because escalating even further would totally fix America's problems.
And the alternative is just letting the side that wants to kill me and the people I care about have all the guns? Good one!

Well no. The alternative is taking their guns.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 03:32:31 PM »

Any Trump voters ready to apologize yet?

You won't be forgiven, of course, but you should do it anyway.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 03:35:02 PM »

Catharsis.  Not just for those protesting/rioting today, but for all of us.  It takes events like this for our national purpose to be allowed to change and update.  Whatever may come of this, we should relish this opportunity to break the "end of history" ethos that has strangled our spirit for the past 30 years.

If we had a more transformative Democrat as president-elect (i.e., not Biden), he would go on national television tonight to announce the immediate establishment of a provisional government, reconstitute the House and Senate (w/ Ossoff and Perdue being seated immediately) and implement martial law.

Use this opportunity to flip the table and unleash all the pent-up social/political change we've needed since WWII.   

F##k you too. Your side and your vote is 100% responsible for all of this. If people like Biden were running the show, absolutely none of this would be happening. Dumbass.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 03:35:48 PM »

Any Trump voters ready to apologize yet?

You won't be forgiven, of course, but you should do it anyway.

I voted for him last year because I oppose this type of behavior.

Because I am--and this is objectively true--better than you?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 03:50:22 PM »

Fire them.  Actually, fire everyone who was involved in this. Comb through the footage of every terrorist at this thing and make them unemployed for life--even after they get out of jail.

This is unforgiveable.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 03:51:19 PM »

Trump is worse than Bush now.

Not even close anymore.

It hasn't been close for years.

Donald Trump is the worst president in American history.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 03:56:12 PM »

No compromise, no surrender, no forgiveness, and no trials. These fascist traitors have enunciated that they want no part of the United States. It is only right and just that true Americans stand up for the law and the Constitution.

You had me until the last part. The whole point is to fight for the Constitution which means--you know--actually following it.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 03:58:19 PM »

Are any of y'all actually surprised cops are getting chummy with fascist militias even as they swarm the capitol? I wish I lived in y'alls world.

Tbh, I'm a bit surprised to see this in the Capitol Police. Anybody else, not at all.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 04:00:05 PM »

Let's call this by name: It's an attempted fascist coup. Ergo, this is treason.
Coup is a weird way to say riot.

Riot is a weird way to describe storming the Capitol.

How is it any different than BLM protesters storming, occupying and in some cases burning police precinct buildings?  Both types of power are legitimately constituted 

Evil methods+benevolent aims>evil methods+evil aims.

A coup is worse than a riot.

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 04:01:14 PM »

No compromise, no surrender, no forgiveness, and no trials. These fascist traitors have enunciated that they want no part of the United States. It is only right and just that true Americans stand up for the law and the Constitution.

You had me until the last part. The whole point is to fight for the Constitution which means--you know--actually following it.
“American” and “fascist” are antonyms. You can be either one or the other. They threw away their rights and their citizenship when they try this sh**t.

That isn't how laws work.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 04:06:06 PM »

WTF is wrong with these people.  Good God, this is sad and embarrassing.  I hope they all wind up in jail.

Dude, this is your party. You tell me.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 04:34:28 PM »

WTF is wrong with these people.  Good God, this is sad and embarrassing.  I hope they all wind up in jail.

Dude, this is your party. You tell me.

Are you under the impression that I somehow control the actions of these people because I'm a registered Republican in Johnson County, IA and vote in its caucuses and primaries?

Of course not. But the thing is, this isn't an isolated incident. The GOP has been building towards this for decades. Eventually, a reckoning was going to happen--some way or another.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 04:38:39 PM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not buildings.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

Scott, once again, captures my thoughts on today's happenings almost perfectly:

Quote from: Senator Scott link=topic=422360.msg7874637
The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

The Capitol and the Constitution are the symbols of the government though. They aren't just objects. And power resides in them, not in our leaders. And for centuries, they've served us well. The civil government does serve the interests of the people. It's just our leaders (well really, your leaders) that have failed us. We don't need to burn it all down. We just need you guys to go away.

#ResistTheMob
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 04:53:07 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

That's not how this works.

It starts from the top. It starts with a man so deluded that he can't accept defeat, and is willing to propagate dangerous lies to people who know no better than to believe because they've been conditioned to do so.

Everyone had their own reasons for supporting Trump, including myself once upon a time, but the hardcore cultists have been brainwashed. Day in and day out, by media echo chambers, by their elected officials casting doubt on an election outcome and by every single person of influence who cast aside logic and reason to curry favor with people who have been suckered by this cult of personality.

Some of them, I assume, are bad people. But most of them are hopelessly, sadly, deluded by a president who has taught them to redefine reality by his warped standards.

This is the GOP's fault. This is OANN's fault. But to blame every person who cast a vote for Trump is, (and I HATE using this comparison because it's lazy), tantamount to disparaging the character of every person who supported Hitler because they were deluded to believe he was the right thing for their country.

Or, you know, we could actually hold people accountable for their own actions. It isn't hard to use basic critical thinking skills.

You know--personal responsibility and all that.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2021, 05:02:40 PM »

Anybody else think Cruz and Hawley overextended themselves in a Macarthyesque way? They can't come back from this.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies