Cheney sees cratering support in House GOP as McCarthy says she isn’t ‘carrying out the message’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:42:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cheney sees cratering support in House GOP as McCarthy says she isn’t ‘carrying out the message’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Cheney sees cratering support in House GOP as McCarthy says she isn’t ‘carrying out the message’  (Read 9275 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2021, 05:58:10 PM »

LMAO fight, fight, fight!!

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2021, 06:00:38 PM »

LMAO fight, fight, fight!!

As if the Republican base cares if a politician is "conservative," especially in the eyes of an organization like the Club for Growth. All that matters is undying loyalty to Trump and the Big Lie, and Stefanik is 100% committed to that.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2021, 06:02:24 PM »

So much drama, gotta love it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2021, 06:05:55 PM »

I'm genuinely curious to see what Cheney's next move will be after she's booted from the leadership.  She's clearly got some principles from which she won't back down, and she doesn't seem the type to take things without fighting back.  Could she end up leaving the party to become an independent?  If so, does she try to burn the party down on her way out?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »

Guys, I have a confession.
Back in 2012, I made a wish to a Monkey’s Paw I bought from a yard sale that Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, John Boehner, The Bushes, John McCain, and the Cheneys would be abandoned and betrayed by the GOP.
I made a big mistake, I’m sorry, this isn’t what I thought would happen.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2021, 06:21:42 PM »

I'm genuinely curious to see what Cheney's next move will be after she's booted from the leadership.  She's clearly got some principles from which she won't back down, and she doesn't seem the type to take things without fighting back.  Could she end up leaving the party to become an independent?  If so, does she try to burn the party down on her way out?

Imagine a world where Cheney is reelected in 2022, a dystopic world where the gerrymandering ban doesn't pass, allowing the Rs to retake Congress, but CA/NY countergerrymander Stefanik and McCarthy out of their seats. Who takes over the party then? Do they just make Trump the speaker?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2021, 06:32:59 PM »

I'm genuinely curious to see what Cheney's next move will be after she's booted from the leadership.  She's clearly got some principles from which she won't back down, and she doesn't seem the type to take things without fighting back.  Could she end up leaving the party to become an independent?  If so, does she try to burn the party down on her way out?

Imagine a world where Cheney is reelected in 2022, a dystopic world where the gerrymandering ban doesn't pass, allowing the Rs to retake Congress, but CA/NY countergerrymander Stefanik and McCarthy out of their seats. Who takes over the party then? Do they just make Trump the speaker?

Lmao he'd hate that job so much.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2021, 06:55:20 PM »

Back in 2012, I made a wish to a Monkey’s Paw I bought from a yard sale that Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, John Boehner, The Bushes, John McCain, and the Cheneys would be abandoned and betrayed by the GOP.
You.......bastard
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2021, 06:55:22 PM »

She's still a horrible person.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2021, 07:12:02 PM »

Lmao he'd hate that job so much.

He'd be terrible at it for sure. I wonder if he'd stand up and interrupt Biden during the State of the Union.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2021, 08:22:26 PM »

This is like when Trump took down Comey, Bolton, and a bunch of Bush neocons. I just hit the shrug cause all these people are awful. GOP is getting what it deserves.
But it's not. The GOP is never punished for their actions. Donald Trump was, but not the GOP, who made significant gains in the House and were on track to hold the Senate had Trump shut up. The GOP is all but certain to retake the House in 2022 and maybe the Senate too.

The unfortunate reality is people either don't care about any of this political stuff, or if you do it's all tribal.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2021, 10:06:34 PM »

I’m surprised how quickly this is taking place, knives have been sharpened for a while. I think this is the beginning of the end of her political career, she’s gonna lose the primary. Once you’re the darling of the online left an NYT it’s a wrap

She'll find something better suited to her strong talents. She will not be happy in a party full of cowards.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2021, 10:52:50 PM »

If anyone had any doubt that Trump will continue to wield power over the GOP and easily walk to the nom in 2024 if he wants it (he does), just look at Kevin McCarthy cuck himself as he’s forced to do a complete 180 on his earlier promise that the impeachment vote wouldn’t cost anyone their job.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2021, 11:24:38 PM »

Cheney sucks but you’ve gotta be pretty narrow-minded to think this is a good development. It means Trump STILL holds absolute power over the GOP.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2021, 04:12:31 AM »

Rep. Liz Cheney (D-WY); welcome to the #resistance
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2021, 05:11:19 AM »

Fun fact: this will have no political consequences for the GOP whatsoever!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2021, 08:59:15 AM »

Fun fact: this will have no political consequences for the GOP whatsoever!

Agreed. And that's exactly problem. They should have been wiped out in 2020, particulary downballot. Not that this would have changed their attitude, but given Dems more power to pass Biden's agenda. The GOP has no serious agenda and therefore doesn't deserve to have a say in legislation.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2021, 09:42:35 AM »

I think this is a fair point and it really illustrates the awkward position that the Republican Party is in. They want and need unity, but they're taking a huge risk by launching punitive measures against people like Cheney, who can easily frame this as an issue that's related to her rejection of Trump. Getting her out of leadership now is smarter than removing her in the immediate aftermath of the insurrection, but I still think that Republicans are underestimating how dangerous it is for them to keep re-litigating their 2020 defeat rather than present their platform as a coherent alternative to the current administration. It sends the message that the GOP is wasting energy on what, to the vast majority of Americans, is just irrelevant inter-party drama and it also sends the message that being a Trump devotee is a prerequisite for being a Republican. Obviously in the grand scheme of things this Liz Cheney conflict isn't taking up much time, but public perception is everything.

I should point out how pitifully small the amount of popular support Liz Cheney has- basically none.  She has the backing of a few irrelevant people who aren't even really republicans (Bill Kristol and the Lincoln project) and elitists who dislike most rank and file GOP voters and the direction they want the GOP to go (see: most of National Review).  Republicans (correctly) perceive Cheney as someone who solely cares about virtue signaling and insufficiently supporting the party's interests, even relative to someone like Mitt Romney or Susan Collins.

The Bush GOP is DEAD.  Bury it.  A Frenchified GOP that treats big business better than their own voters, that supports the forever war unconditionally, and that is out of step with it's base on social issues and immigration is an evolutionary dead end that cannot win and is not a viable coalition.  The public support is clear on this.  The biggest obstacles to party unity are people like Liz Cheney, David French and the CATO institute.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2021, 10:39:57 AM »

You can always count on the GOP to lower the bar.

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2021, 10:49:17 AM »

Why does an anti-Trump neocon still have leadership? Kick her out of that position and let her be defeated in the primary. I don't have an issue with people who voted for impeachment per se ( I still like Susan Collins), but now that all Cheney wants to focus on now is criticizing Trump, Wyoming can do better.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »

People are attacking Cheney because she "can't quit Trump".

Did she call for there to literally be a golden statue of him at CPAC?
Did she make the NRCC threaten to tell Trump that someone was a "defector" if they unsubscribed from monthly donations?
Did she force the Arizona GOP to keep conducting BS "audits" about voter fraud?

Epaminondas

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2021, 11:52:09 AM »

Why did she not run for Senate in 2020, thus securing her position until after the Trump cancer is wiped out?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2021, 12:10:06 PM »

Honestly if you spent some money I bet you could astroturf a "Trump for Speaker" campaign and pressure a majority of Republican Congressmen to agree to elect Trump as Speaker if they take the majority.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2021, 12:12:09 PM »

Why did she not run for Senate in 2020, thus securing her position until after the Trump cancer is wiped out?

She probably would have lost the primary to Cynthia Lummis, her predecessor in the House, who now holds that Senate seat.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2021, 12:18:39 PM »

She probably would have lost the primary to Cynthia Lummis, her predecessor in the House, who now holds that Senate seat.

Also, I think she had her eye on becoming Speaker.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies