Cheney sees cratering support in House GOP as McCarthy says she isn’t ‘carrying out the message’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:37:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cheney sees cratering support in House GOP as McCarthy says she isn’t ‘carrying out the message’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Cheney sees cratering support in House GOP as McCarthy says she isn’t ‘carrying out the message’  (Read 9202 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 03:56:05 PM »

Here's the problem in a nutshell:

I know that some of the Republicans here aren't like this.  To this group: I'm sorry to tell you that the above tweet is correct, and trying to cling to the party of the past and hope that it will recover is essentially hopeless.  I know (as a former Republican myself) that this is painful, but it's necessary to deal with the world as it really is, not as you wish it was.  If you believe in the democratic principles of American government, there is no place for you in the Republican Party anymore.  The party as it once was, is dead.

I also know that there are some people here who actively do support the evolution of the party into an Orban-style antidemocratic movement.  In doing so, this group has put themselves in opposition to the American ideal, and as far as I'm concerned they can go to hell.

The comparison isn't that odd. Fidesz started as a pretty normal center-right European party and turned into an autocratic, right-wing populist force that seeks to undermine freedom of the press, civil liberties and promotes other anti-democratic measures. However, the Republican Trump personality cult is even bigger than Orban's following. If Republicans were kinda normal and their congressional leaders had any backbone, they would have turned on him after January 6 and convicted him in the impeachment trial (actually should have in the first rial already, but the Capitol storming was the very last point). They completely failed. Usually a president defeated for reelection wouldn't have any influence on day to day politics anyway.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 05:17:08 PM »

I know that some of the Republicans here aren't like this.  To this group: I'm sorry to tell you that the above tweet is correct, and trying to cling to the party of the past and hope that it will recover is essentially hopeless.  I know (as a former Republican myself) that this is painful, but it's necessary to deal with the world as it really is, not as you wish it was.  If you believe in the democratic principles of American government, there is no place for you in the Republican Party anymore.  The party as it once was, is dead.

I also know that there are some people here who actively do support the evolution of the party into an Orban-style antidemocratic movement.  In doing so, this group has put themselves in opposition to the American ideal, and as far as I'm concerned they can go to hell.

Elected republicans are a small c cult. Anyone who votes for them is either not paying attention, lying to themselves, or are in on it
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 05:21:13 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 05:21:49 PM »

As I have said repeatedly, Stefanik is future leadership. The future may be now.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 05:25:39 PM »

She never should have had that Postion to begin with given how little time she has been in the house
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 05:40:40 PM »

Knives? Out.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2021, 05:42:04 PM »

She never should have had that Postion to begin with given how little time she has been in the house

She got the position because of her last name.

As I have said repeatedly, Stefanik is future leadership. The future may be now.

And as I've said before, that's why she's gravitated to the right and was so staunchly supportive of Trump. It is reflective of the Republican Party's shift that a neoconservative Trump skeptic is going to be replaced by an ardent Trumpist with some "populist" tendencies.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 06:16:19 PM »

Politically, bickering about Trump and the 2020 election is bad for Republicans, so McCarthy may be right that Cheney is harming their effort to regain the majority. Firing Cheney would be bad for the party image too, so they should have tried to just get her to avoid talking about these issues-and maybe these leaks are designed as threats rather than an imminent plot.

However, the Republican Party made a big mistake by going along with objecting to the election and being so subservient to Trump. Politically too, the millions of Biden voters aren't going to be happy with the Republican Party wanting to throw out their votes. That said, Mike Garcia and Beth Van Duyne appear to be the only Biden-district Republicans who objected to the result, though several other objectors may be drawn into Biden districts. Still, the election objection will be a drag on the overall House Republican brand.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »

Stefanik is such a joke. She's made fools out of all those people calling her a rising star and future presidential material.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2021, 09:48:30 PM »

Stefanik will believe or say whatever she needs to to advance. For a while there it seemed like being ""moderate"" was the way to go in her district and she leaned towards that. Now that Trump-worshipping is the guiding ideology of the GOP she's gone all-in on that, objecting to the election, trying to oust Cheney for her opposition to him. In the unlikely event that the party starts to shift away from Trump in a major way she'll be right there when it happens. She's a weather vane.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2021, 10:05:00 PM »

Stefanik will believe or say whatever she needs to to advance. For a while there it seemed like being ""moderate"" was the way to go in her district and she leaned towards that. Now that Trump-worshipping is the guiding ideology of the GOP she's gone all-in on that, objecting to the election, trying to oust Cheney for her opposition to him. In the unlikely event that the party starts to shift away from Trump in a major way she'll be right there when it happens. She's a weather vane.

No character or convictions.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2021, 11:04:47 PM »

Yes Kevin McCarthy. I need name three, no, even one specific thing Cheney has done to fail in her role as leadership conference chair in terms of keeping the party off a United message help them regain the majority. Is she even 1% as bad as folks like MTG and Lauren Boberg? Needs one thing she's done other than cross the party requirement of bootlicking or at least an enabling Trump 110%.

If there's such a problem in your caucus about remaining on message, give your number to the boot, or resign yourself.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2021, 11:20:55 PM »

I know that some of the Republicans here aren't like this. To this group: I'm sorry to tell you that the above tweet is correct, and trying to cling to the party of the past and hope that it will recover is essentially hopeless.  I know (as a former Republican myself) that this is painful, but it's necessary to deal with the world as it really is, not as you wish it was.  If you believe in the democratic principles of American government, there is no place for you in the Republican Party anymore.  The party as it once was, is dead.

Elected republicans are a small c cult. Anyone who votes for them is either not paying attention, lying to themselves, or are in on it

I bolded the most useful of these descriptors, which not only describes most Republican (and Democratic) voters but also most US American adults.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2021, 11:22:21 PM »

Add to note that blue avatars and their allies have pretty much been nothing but crickets chirping throughout this thread dust far.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2021, 12:27:28 AM »

I know that some of the Republicans here aren't like this. To this group: I'm sorry to tell you that the above tweet is correct, and trying to cling to the party of the past and hope that it will recover is essentially hopeless.  I know (as a former Republican myself) that this is painful, but it's necessary to deal with the world as it really is, not as you wish it was.  If you believe in the democratic principles of American government, there is no place for you in the Republican Party anymore.  The party as it once was, is dead.

I bolded the most useful of these descriptors, which not only describes most Republican (and Democratic) voters but also most US American adults.

I mean I don’t blame them, it’s infuriating and a lot to keep up with and people have their own lives they worry about enough.  It’s exhausting to live in a constant stage of anger
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2021, 08:28:44 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »

All that matters for the GOP these days is the complete and total embracing of the personality cult of Mr. Donald J. Trump. McCarthy and Scalise are pathetic clowns.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2021, 09:01:45 AM »

This isn't about Trump; if it was, Cheney would have been out shortly out after being one of only ten Republicans to vote in support of his second impeachment.  The issue with Cheney is that she has nicer things to say about Biden and the Democrats than she does her own party.  You can believe her criticisms are valid, but the GOP cannot deliver a unified opposition message as long as Cheney is throwing bombs from the inside.  Forcing her out is the only logical conclusion to what she has brought upon herself. 

They're cancelling her because of her conservative beliefs.

This, but unironically.  Cheney is much more conservative than Stefanik according to the Heritage Foundation rankings, for example.  It's mind-curdling to watch partisan Democrats come to the defense of Cheney in this instance.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2021, 09:08:27 AM »

This, but unironically.  Cheney is much more conservative than Stefanik according to the Heritage Foundation rankings, for example.  It's mind-curdling to watch partisan Democrats come to the defense of Cheney in this instance.
Cheney doesn't deserve any defense, and I agree. And yes, any reasonable comparative ranking has to consider Stefanik more moderate than Cheney.
Stefanik may be a shameless careerist but I can hardly muster any sympathy for Cheney being thrown overboard regardless. She made her bed. Now she has to sleep in it.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2021, 10:05:21 AM »

This isn't about Trump; if it was, Cheney would have been out shortly out after being one of only ten Republicans to vote in support of his second impeachment.  The issue with Cheney is that she has nicer things to say about Biden and the Democrats than she does her own party.  You can believe her criticisms are valid, but the GOP cannot deliver a unified opposition message as long as Cheney is throwing bombs from the inside.  Forcing her out is the only logical conclusion to what she has brought upon herself. 

This, but unironically.  Cheney is much more conservative than Stefanik according to the Heritage Foundation rankings, for example.  It's mind-curdling to watch partisan Democrats come to the defense of Cheney in this instance.

Yeah, it's real inexplicable /s. Evidently, we assign greater significance to the preservation of democracy and the peaceful transfer of power than Liz's odious opinions on gay marriage circa 2006. Shocking. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2021, 10:08:45 AM »

It's going to be fun watching the neocon resistance lose their primaries in 2022. They have no idea what's coming.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2021, 10:10:24 AM »

I thought Republicans were against cancel culture?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »

The Cult cuts out those who do not believe
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2021, 11:06:16 AM »

I thought Republicans were against cancel culture?

Elected officials are held accountable to the people (and their members in the case of leadership positions)

This is not the same thing as a person losing their job over a supposed white supremacist hand sign.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2021, 11:49:19 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2021, 05:31:01 PM by Josh Shapiro for Governor »

No matter how you personally feel about Liz Cheney, everyone should be appalled at what is happening right now. She's being ousted for simply telling the truth.

The GOP is irredeemable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies