IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:10:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 64541 times)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: October 21, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »

My only confident prediction is that this thread will be a complete mess on/after election night.

Agreed. Both the presidential and Senate races in Iowa have been very divisive on this forum. I think this will be the final showdown between the “2016 trends” and “WWC will snap back” groups.

TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #826 on: October 21, 2020, 02:00:17 PM »

My only confident prediction is that this thread will be a complete mess on/after election night.

Agreed. Both the presidential and Senate races in Iowa have been very divisive on this forum. I think this will be the final showdown between the “2016 trends” and “WWC will snap back” groups.

It'll be especially nasty if Iowa gives us a split verdict on Pres/Senate, lol.

I'm not changing my prediction maps in my profile, fwiw. MT and both GA seats flip before IA.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #827 on: October 21, 2020, 02:01:22 PM »

The only thing that would make it more entertaining is if Claire McCaskill was somehow the Democratic candidate for Senate. MO-SEN 2018 was a truly hilarious episode in the history of Talk Elections Dot Org.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #828 on: October 21, 2020, 02:05:50 PM »

I'm not changing my prediction maps in my profile, fwiw. MT and both GA seats flip before IA.

I’m really gonna flip out if Biden wins Iowa but Greenfield doesn’t.  Same with North Carolina (if Biden wins while Cunningham doesn’t).  A Senate seat is so much more valuable than a few extra electoral votes (which really have no value on their own if you are already at or above 270).
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #829 on: October 21, 2020, 02:20:04 PM »

I’m really gonna flip out if Biden wins Iowa but Greenfield doesn’t.  Same with North Carolina (if Biden wins while Cunningham doesn’t).  A Senate seat is so much more valuable than a few extra electoral votes (which really have no value on their own if you are already at or above 270).

We live in hell world, so that's pretty much what I would expect if we were to win an Iowa race, lol. The race that doesn't matter.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #830 on: October 21, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »

I absolutely dont get it how is MT more likely to flip than IA now, like Bullock is a great candidate but I dont see him outperforming Biden by 8 points , probably 5 or 6 which wont be enough.

As for IA it probably will be +3.5 Trump - +1 Biden at this point which makes winning the IA seat easier.

TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #831 on: October 21, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »

I absolutely dont get it how is MT more likely to flip than IA now, like Bullock is a great candidate but I dont see him outperforming Biden by 8 points , probably 5 or 6 which wont be enough.

As for IA it probably will be +3.5 Trump - +1 Biden at this point which makes winning the IA seat easier.

Your grammar just makes everything you write so cringy to read. If there was a question in there anywhere that you'd like me to respond to, kindly reword it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #832 on: October 21, 2020, 02:35:55 PM »

We haven't seen any ME polls and it's already assumed both Collins and Ernst are doomed
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #833 on: October 21, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »

I don't think it's a far more likely flip than KS or TX, but I do think it's somewhat more likely. GA-R and MT probably flip before IA, so I think it's probably seat 52 or 53. I don't think IA is a Toss-Up state in general, since we can't ignore that the national environment is (or at least seems to be) very good for Democrats. I think Ernst is very slightly favored (thanks to IA becoming increasing Republican-leaning compared to the rest of the country), but the idea that she would massively overperform Trump or become "the next Grassley" was always far-fetched, in my opinion. We'll see what happens, but if Biden wins by 8 or more nationally, I doubt Ernst wins by more than a narrow margin, and she could lose.

I agree that this thread will be a mess regardless of the result. Then again, so will the threads for MT-SEN, NC-SEN, and probably several more.

I agree with this, actually. I’d say it’s seat 52 (after MT) or 53 (after MT/GA-R), I just don’t see seats 54-57 (KS, TX, SC) not being very close if IA actually flips. Guess I should have put it that way. I get that the idea of Ernst outperforming Trump by 5+ points was foolish (although several people who mock others for this prediction said the same about Peters in MI, so pot and kettle or something...), but I also don’t think she’ll significantly underperform him (maybe 1-2 points or so, but not more than that).

I will definitely move IA-SEN 2022 from Likely to Tilt/Lean R if Ernst loses while other Republicans in competitive races survive. If it was solely due to the environment, she wouldn’t be in a worse position than someone like Cornyn (and I’m still not entirely convinced that she is, even if it’s hard to ignore some of the polling).

I do not believe IA Sen 2022 will even have much discussion lol.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #834 on: October 21, 2020, 02:55:19 PM »

I'm very confident in Biden overall and I think the floor for the Dems in the Senate is 50-51, but this election is going to be a very good bellwether for whether we're looking at a good Dem cycle or a Blue Wave.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #835 on: October 21, 2020, 03:04:46 PM »

I'm very confident in Biden overall and I think the floor for the Dems in the Senate is 50-51, but this election is going to be a very good bellwether for whether we're looking at a good Dem cycle or a Blue Wave.

TBF, there is a possibility IA votes something like 15% to the right of the country. My bellwether is just weather Ds win the Senate overall and if Biden wins TX.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #836 on: October 21, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »

Hence my signature. This is why the "check on Biden" talking point (even when it's made with positive intentions) is potentially so dangerous for Democrats. Things aren't going to get any better if Republicans keep the Senate, no matter how much Biden wins by.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #837 on: October 21, 2020, 07:14:42 PM »

Hence my signature. This is why the "check on Biden" talking point (even when it's made with positive intentions) is potentially so dangerous for Democrats. Things aren't going to get any better if Republicans keep the Senate, no matter how much Biden wins by.

Quite frankly, any Republicans who subscribes to this mentality ought to be satisfied enough that there is going to be a 6-3 conservative majority on the Superme Court to "hold Biden in check."
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #838 on: October 21, 2020, 10:58:47 PM »

Quite frankly, any Republicans who subscribes to this mentality ought to be satisfied enough that there is going to be a 6-3 conservative majority on the Superme Court to "hold Biden in check."

The level of satisfaction for Republicans regarding the Court as a means to check Biden iis mitigated by the realization that with a Trifecta, they can pack the court. The Senate thus acts as buffer to prevent that.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #839 on: October 22, 2020, 05:26:12 AM »

The level of satisfaction for Republicans regarding the Court as a means to check Biden iis mitigated by the realization that with a Trifecta, they can pack the court. The Senate thus acts as buffer to prevent that.

A 6-3 court could just find the packing unconstitutional if they wanted.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #840 on: October 22, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »

A 6-3 court could just find the packing unconstitutional if they wanted.

Not if the new justices participated in the vote (why would they recuse themselves?) and even then, they’d have no way to enforce the ruling.  Once we have four more Justices and a 7-6 majority, said ruling could simply be overturned.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #841 on: October 22, 2020, 05:55:06 PM »

I'm still honestly not convinced that a Democratic Senate would go through with court-packing, even if Biden and Schumer want to. Democratic Senate caucuses are much more ideologically diverse than Republican ones. I really can't see Manchin or Sinema signing onto the idea.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #842 on: October 22, 2020, 06:41:15 PM »

I'm still honestly not convinced that a Democratic Senate would go through with court-packing, even if Biden and Schumer want to. Democratic Senate caucuses are much more ideologically diverse than Republican ones. I really can't see Manchin or Sinema signing onto the idea.

Yeah, at this point it feels like court pecking is being used as a prop by Republicans to keep wavering voters in senate races and by Democrats to keep their base motivated in the presidential race. I would be astonished if this actually got anywhere near happening in real life.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #843 on: October 22, 2020, 06:57:02 PM »

Y'all, idk if court packing will happen either (I've been disappointed by fence sitting dems too much thus far), but Biden and Schumer aren't clowns. They've clearly talked to Manchin, Sinema, and whoever else about this, that's why everyone is dodging questions on it and saying stuff about how they're "not a fan" or "apprehensive" and whatnot. Every dodge is more political capital they're sinking into this, so either it's all one big bluff (which would be just astoundingly incompetent even for the Democratic Party) or they are at least seriously considering it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #844 on: October 22, 2020, 07:02:50 PM »

Y'all, idk if court packing will happen either (I've been disappointed by fence sitting dems too much thus far), but Biden and Schumer aren't clowns. They've clearly talked to Manchin, Sinema, and whoever else about this, that's why everyone is dodging questions on it and saying stuff about how they're "not a fan" or "apprehensive" and whatnot. Every dodge is more political capital they're sinking into this, so either it's all one big bluff (which would be just astoundingly incompetent even for the Democratic Party) or they are at least seriously considering it.

It could have been a gamble to make Republicans think the Dems will court-pack if the RBG seat is filled, but Republicans either don't believe it will happen or don't care. So it probably has gotten beyond that stage by now.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #845 on: October 25, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »

Now she’s unskewing the polls? Her campaign is a dumpster fire.

Smiley Sane and principled suburban Des Moines conservatives for Greenfield  Smiley
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #846 on: October 25, 2020, 10:55:56 AM »

Why would any conservative, or even a moderate vote for Greenfield?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #847 on: October 25, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »

Ernst doesn't even know the price of soybeans. That's a good enough reason for voters to vote for Greenfield.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #848 on: October 25, 2020, 11:03:35 AM »

Because she pushed a debunked COVID conspiracy theory which infuriated pro-science Trump supporters. Also, she doesn’t know the price of soybeans, and Trump supporters care about that too. She underperforms Trump by 4-5% imo.

/s
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #849 on: October 25, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »

Because she pushed a debunked COVID conspiracy theory which infuriated pro-science Trump supporters. Also, she doesn’t know the price of soybeans, and Trump supporters care about that too. She underperforms Trump by 4-5% imo.

/s

imo Greenfield is more likely to win than Hickenlooper tbh imho
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies