MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:11:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Author Topic: MN-05: Not a topic about Israel, thank you very much  (Read 27319 times)
Yellowhammer
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: August 14, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »

2. You can shout as much as you want, but the cold, hard facts are that Israel is nothing like SA. There was an Arab Supreme Court Justice, the Arabic party is the third-biggest in the parliament, there's a Druze minister.
America is not racist because Clarence Thomas

America is, indeed, not an appartheid state. Is there racism in America? Sure. Is there racism in Israel? Sure. Do we have a lot of work to do to improve the situation of minorities in both? Of course. This doesn't make this old claim any less a lie, usually meant to delegitimize the Jewish State.
You sound so much like an ultra-nationalist right now. The UN found it was similar to an apartheid state, and thats the facts. Thats not opinion, thats fact.

The UN does not have the power to dictate what is true and what is not true. Just because it is the opinion of the UN does not mean it's a "fact."
The investigations from the UN found this, not the member states. So yes, it is facts.
I don't think you know what a fact is. Just because someone's "investigation" concludes something doesn't make it a fact.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #301 on: August 14, 2018, 09:37:45 PM »

2. You can shout as much as you want, but the cold, hard facts are that Israel is nothing like SA. There was an Arab Supreme Court Justice, the Arabic party is the third-biggest in the parliament, there's a Druze minister.
America is not racist because Clarence Thomas

America is, indeed, not an appartheid state. Is there racism in America? Sure. Is there racism in Israel? Sure. Do we have a lot of work to do to improve the situation of minorities in both? Of course. This doesn't make this old claim any less a lie, usually meant to delegitimize the Jewish State.
You sound so much like an ultra-nationalist right now. The UN found it was similar to an apartheid state, and thats the facts. Thats not opinion, thats fact.

The UN does not have the power to dictate what is true and what is not true. Just because it is the opinion of the UN does not mean it's a "fact."
The investigations from the UN found this, not the member states. So yes, it is facts.
I don't think you know what a fact is. Just because someone's "investigation" concludes something doesn't make it a fact.
After many investigations over a long period by different countries and organizations, those are the findings. You can dispute them, but those are the findings.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #302 on: August 14, 2018, 11:46:53 PM »

Ms. Omar will, tbh, fit quite well in the same chamber with Rep. Steve King. Still, Paul Nehlen (a much more vicious antisemite, no doubt) winning 11% of the Republican votes in his district and Ilhan Omar becoming a congresswoman show why a Jewish state is crucial.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #303 on: August 14, 2018, 11:52:00 PM »

Ms. Omar will, tbh, fit quite well in the same chamber with Rep. Steve King. Still, Paul Nehlen (a much more vicious antisemite, no doubt) winning 11% of the Republican votes in his district and Ilhan Omar becoming a congresswoman show why a Jewish state is crucial.

Try and chill dude lol, it'll be ok, she's not going to nuke Israel or anything lol.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #304 on: August 14, 2018, 11:55:56 PM »

Try and chill dude lol, it'll be ok, she's not going to nuke Israel or anything lol.

I have a country to protect me from the current worrying trends in the West, so I am chill Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2018, 11:59:45 PM »

Guys, I'd be surprised if even 20% of the voters here even knew about that tweet or her comments. That's not why they voted for her. Hell I just noticed that one of her two "likes" on Facebook from my friends list is Jewish.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #306 on: August 15, 2018, 12:00:16 AM »

I have a country to protect me from the current worrying trends in the West, so I am chill Smiley

You guys will be just fine, yall are strong and capable and have many allies, and even many heavily Pro-Palestine people like myself aren't out to get you or anything lol.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #307 on: August 15, 2018, 12:02:28 AM »

Based on the results in St. Louis Park and SW Minneapolis, she probably got ~40% of the Jewish vote. And a good chunk of the rest was votes for Margaret Anderson Kelliher who is heavily tied to the area, not anti-Omar votes.

FYI I voted MAK.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2018, 12:07:24 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2018, 12:22:46 AM by maineiac4434🌲🌹 »

One of the most dubious parts of Omar’s platform is, of course, her “Medicare for All (Except Jews)” proposal and promise to immediately write up a declaration of war against Israel

On a more serious note, I’ve yet to see a person of really any standing in the community accuse her of antisemitism, and her, there are only two tweets, and honestly, neither view would be that out of place among must Muslims in the United States. As far as I know, she’s never discriminated against anyone, nor has she berated her Jewish colleagues in politics or her community accused her of bigotry. She was even endorsed by the Jewish mayor of Minneapolis.

If two Israel-critical tweets is all it takes to be labeled “a fire-Breathing anti-Semite” I'd love to see what Atlas would have to say about the late Labour MP Gerald Kaufman.

Based on the results in St. Louis Park and SW Minneapolis, she probably got ~40% of the Jewish vote. And a good chunk of the rest was votes for Margaret Anderson Kelliher who is heavily tied to the area, not anti-Omar votes.

FYI I voted MAK.
Weren’t you supporting Torres Ray?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #309 on: August 15, 2018, 12:20:58 AM »

One of the most dubious parts of Omar’s platform is, of course, her “Medicare for All (Except Jews)” proposal and promise to immediately write up a declaration of war against Israel

On a more serious note, I’ve yet to see a person of really any standing in the community accuse her of antisemitism, and her, there are only two tweets, and honestly, neither view would be that out of place among must Muslims in the United States. As far as I know, she’s never discriminated against anyone, nor has she berated her Jewish colleagues in politics or her community accused her of bigotry. She was even endorsed by the Keeishg mayor of Minneapolis.

If two Israel-critical tweets is all it takes to be labeled “a fire-Breathing anti-Semite” I'd love to see what Atlas would have to say about the late Labour MP Gerald Kaufman.

FYI I voted MAK.
Weren’t you supporting Torres Ray?

I was, but rumblings within the internal party here made me switch at the last minute, basically realizing she had no chance and MAK was the only other one with a fighting chance. I might've been skewed by (and yeah, this sounds pretty lame), the high presence of lawn signs for her that I saw, which is due to the fact that my commute goes through her State Senate district and a heavily Hispanic area.

I would've given her my first pref in an IRV election though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #310 on: August 15, 2018, 12:24:43 AM »

Netanyahu is doing far more damage to Israel than the couple percent of the US congress who don't vote to give Israel military aid.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #311 on: August 15, 2018, 12:39:51 AM »

Netanyahu is doing far more damage to Israel than the couple percent of the US congress who don't vote to give Israel military aid.

If you quantify the damage, I completely agree. Omar is a worrying trend, is all (and not because of her votes on military aid).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2018, 12:40:55 AM »

Um, that's like saying it's OK to have David Duke in the House because he isn't going to personally lynch any blacks.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2018, 12:52:04 AM »

Haaretz just published a glowing article about her lmao

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/us-news/first-somali-american-legislator-wins-minnesota-primary-for-congress-1.6383381
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2018, 12:55:59 AM »

Um, that's like saying it's OK to have David Duke in the House because he isn't going to personally lynch any blacks.
Two tweets critical of Israel is definitely the same as being the Grand Wizard of the Klan
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2018, 12:56:49 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

HAHA LOLWUT
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2018, 01:01:25 AM »

Yeah, Israeli media is sorely uninformed on American politics, so I'm willing to bet they didn't hear about this tweet (or the fact that she never apologized for it, rather attacking those who called her out).
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2018, 01:43:13 AM »

I don't understand. Ilhan isn't anything like other past weirdo Democrats. Does anyone remember Cynthia McKinney?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2018, 02:00:32 AM »

Two tweets critical of Israel is definitely the same as being the Grand Wizard of the Klan

If I compared her to Steve King, would it be more appropriate?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #319 on: August 15, 2018, 02:08:32 AM »

Right now, I consider her better than King, who made much more repeated and numerous racist statements. However, she never apologized and only reinforced her antisemitic tweet, and the fact that progressives refuse to call her out for this is sad.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #320 on: August 15, 2018, 02:21:10 AM »

Once again those tweets were NOT AN ISSUE. the only outlets reporting on them were Breitbart-esque right wing blogs that obviously your typical MN-05 voter doesn't pay attention to.

If Minneapolis was full of voters with a burning raging desire to throw all Jews into the sea then I'd wager they probably wouldn't have elected a Jewish mayor last year.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #321 on: August 15, 2018, 03:26:51 AM »

Once again those tweets were NOT AN ISSUE. the only outlets reporting on them were Breitbart-esque right wing blogs that obviously your typical MN-05 voter doesn't pay attention to.

If Minneapolis was full of voters with a burning raging desire to throw all Jews into the sea then I'd wager they probably wouldn't have elected a Jewish mayor last year.

Yeah, like I said, that's probably why Haaretz didn't even mention it. It's just not widely-known, which to me is sad because it shows the media is too absorbed in identity politics (of both sides) to raise serious issues and make politicians face them.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #322 on: August 15, 2018, 07:02:22 AM »

Ugh. Oh well.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #323 on: August 15, 2018, 07:11:21 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2018, 08:52:48 AM by Zaybay »

Yeah, like I said, that's probably why Haaretz didn't even mention it. It's just not widely-known, which to me is sad because it shows the media is too absorbed in identity politics (of both sides) to raise serious issues and make politicians face them.
I know this is a nitpick, but wouldnt identity politics make the media more likely to report on this? I mean, for a Muslim to say something antisemitic, that seems like something the media would repeat on demand.

I just think that, like with many things on Atlas, we are just blowing up a story that no one else has heard about/cares about. And I personally think that taking one tweet from 6 years ago and declaring her a """raging antisemite""" is not fair, as nothing else about her entire career and, well, life, agrees with the statement(though we do know that she supports the Palestinians, but many people, such as Bagel, do, and are not antisemitic.) Honestly, I would see is she says anything else Antisemitic before drawing a conclusion, for this could be a one time thing.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #324 on: August 15, 2018, 09:39:26 AM »

The fact that you would compare a Somali refugee to an open white supremacist is pretty disturbing, in all honesty.

It’s Omar’s two tweets vs King’s decades long trend of actions and words. And you’re all “I literally cannot tell the difference!!”

You cannot honestly think that “Black Muslim does thing that shows SHE’S THE REAL RACIST” wouldn’t be a thing in American the media. You cannot think that the American media would go out of it’s way to protect random Black Muslim lady because of “identity politics”. You cannot be that daft.

I think the reason why it’s not being reported because Minnesota Jews seem to not really care about two years-old tweets.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies