California House Races Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:34:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California House Races Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19
Author Topic: California House Races Megathread  (Read 40825 times)
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2018, 03:39:55 AM »

So SurveyUSA has a poll of CA-50: http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=eb9595d8-c029-4d6c-946c-0ada29b42230&c=37

Hunter leads Najjar 47-39% with 42% of voters saying the charges against Hunter are politically motivated. 41% of voters say that the charges make no difference while 11% say they are more likely to vote for him because of the charges.

Jesus f***ing Christ. Republican voters really are shameless. Who would be more likely to vote for a corrupt man that lies out his ass, throws his own wife under the bus, and openly insults the American military?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »

So SurveyUSA has a poll of CA-50: http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=eb9595d8-c029-4d6c-946c-0ada29b42230&c=37

Hunter leads Najjar 47-39% with 42% of voters saying the charges against Hunter are politically motivated. 41% of voters say that the charges make no difference while 11% say they are more likely to vote for him because of the charges.

Jesus f***ing Christ. Republican voters really are shameless. Who would be more likely to vote for a corrupt man that lies out his ass, throws his own wife under the bus, and openly insults the American military?

But a serial sexual predator/pedophile lost by 1 point, which proves the voters are logical, reasonable, responsible, and hold their politicians accountable for wrongdoings. Smiley

- Pundits/Atlas posters
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #302 on: August 30, 2018, 12:43:08 AM »

Campa-Najjar rolling out some anti-Hunter TV ads tomorrow:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article217562395.html#storylink=latest_side
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #303 on: August 30, 2018, 07:32:49 PM »

It looks like Hunter is about to be *takes off sunglasses* hunted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR3jnW2kcUs

That's like the third time I made a CSI Miami joke, and I don't care.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #304 on: August 30, 2018, 11:32:40 PM »

And here is the ad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSPbbLKlQug
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #305 on: August 31, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »

Great ad! Finally a Democrat with balls that doesn't run lame milquetoast ads.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #306 on: August 31, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »

Won't matter. This district is full of deplorables that won't vote for a brown person with a muslim sounding name.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »

Bold Guess- Only David Valadao, Paul Cook, Doug LaMalfa, Kevin McCarthy and Ken Calvert will remain in office after the election
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »

Bold Guess- Only David Valadao, Paul Cook, Doug LaMalfa, Kevin McCarthy and Ken Calvert will remain in office after the election
Um, Tom McClintock is not vulnerable. He's in CA-4 which is not competitive it's 85% White.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #309 on: August 31, 2018, 09:05:16 PM »

Um, Tom McClintock is not vulnerable. He's in CA-4 which is not competitive it's 85% White.

Um, Rick Saccone is not vulnerable. He's in PA-18 which is not competitive it's 96% White.

(I agree with you that McClintock is not vulnerable, but that was a terrible argument.)
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #310 on: August 31, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »

Um, Rick Saccone is not vulnerable. He's in PA-18 which is not competitive it's 96% White.

(I agree with you that McClintock is not vulnerable, but that was a terrible argument.)
This isn't the midwest. The majority of California rural whites despise Democrats, which is why Republicans outnumber Democrats by a good number in this district. Which is what I should have said.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2018, 01:06:29 AM »

McClintock will underwhelm, but still win. 54-46 probably.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »

This isn't the midwest. The majority of California rural whites despise Democrats, which is why Republicans outnumber Democrats by a good number in this district. Which is what I should have said.

McClintock is strongly favored, but he's not invulnerable. He's a pretty weak incumbent that doesn't even live in his own district. It's Likely R.

Only three CAGOP incumbents are completely safe this year: Calvert, Cook, and McCarthy.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #313 on: September 06, 2018, 12:49:11 AM »

Yeah, the local party is treating him like persona non grata1 (I get emails from the OCGOP asking for volunteers for Kim, Walters, and Harkey).

That’s because Dana Rohrabacher will cruise to victory in November. The suburban deplorables love him.

Bumaye

« Reply #314 on: September 06, 2018, 01:42:23 AM »

Yeah, the local party is treating him like persona non grata1 (I get emails from the OCGOP asking for volunteers for Kim, Walters, and Harkey).

That’s because Dana Rohrabacher will cruise to victory in November. The suburban deplorables love him.

Why do people who hate brown people often spend so much time and money on looking more brown?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #315 on: September 06, 2018, 08:19:08 PM »

He's such a douche.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #316 on: September 06, 2018, 09:14:48 PM »

Why do people who hate brown people often spend so much time and money on looking more brown?

ikr, and so many suburban republican kids I know love rap and try to act with that subculture, but they not only have nothing to do with that subculture, but they support a party and candidates who are actively against it, like wtf lmao.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #317 on: September 06, 2018, 09:45:31 PM »

My classmate who interns for the Fareed Campaign was like "muh NECK AND NECK" in first period today. The unfortunate fact is that, outside Atlas, it's hard to rebut that without sounding like a pretentious asshole
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #318 on: September 06, 2018, 11:57:57 PM »

This isn't Temecula, and the suburban yuppies love Rouda. Rohrabacher is going down.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »

My classmate who interns for the Fareed Campaign was like "muh NECK AND NECK" in first period today. The unfortunate fact is that, outside Atlas, it's hard to rebut that without sounding like a pretentious asshole
Then be a pretentious asshole. Justin Fareed certainly is.
mencken
« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »

This isn't Temecula, and the suburban yuppies love Rouda. Rohrabacher is going down.

The NYT poll had them tied.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »

A long time incumbent with negative net favourables who is tied against a guy with 42% name recognition (and the challenger has high favourables in that 42%) when his party’s president is 14 points underwater in the district is an incumbent that’s very likely to lose in the election.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »

A long time incumbent with negative net favourables who is tied against a guy with 42% name recognition (and the challenger has high favourables in that 42%) when his party’s president is 14 points underwater in the district is an incumbent that’s very likely to lose in the election.

Yeah, head to head numbers do not tell the entire story. Mark Pryor was holding up relatively well in the head to head polls until late in the election, but astute observers were noting all along that he was stuck in the low 40s and almost all of the undecideds disapproved of Obama. Kind of like a certain Unbeatable Titan this year that everyone insists is in a pure toss up race.

Name recognition differences matter even more in House races though, where candidates are far lower profile and tend to be more at the mercy of the political environment. The road is littered with the corpses of Democrats in 2010 who "weren't polling that bad" then got BTFO by double digits because they were only polling in the high 30s/low 40s against an opponent with low name recognition.
mencken
« Reply #323 on: September 07, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »

Yeah, head to head numbers do not tell the entire story. Mark Pryor was holding up relatively well in the head to head polls until late in the election, but astute observers were noting all along that he was stuck in the low 40s and almost all of the undecideds disapproved of Obama. Kind of like a certain Unbeatable Titan this year that everyone insists is in a pure toss up race.

Name recognition differences matter even more in House races though, where candidates are far lower profile and tend to be more at the mercy of the political environment. The road is littered with the corpses of Democrats in 2010 who "weren't polling that bad" then got BTFO by double digits because they were only polling in the high 30s/low 40s against an opponent with low name recognition.

Ah, so we are resorting to Dick Morris logic now. Gotcha.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #324 on: September 07, 2018, 02:34:56 PM »

Excellent link. I think you are quite correct that anyone who is very confident that "undecideds will definitely break to the Democrats" on the grounds that 2016 "will be a Democratic wave" doesn't really have solid ground to stand on. Zaybay, for example, comes to mind as someone who has emphasized that point very strongly.

Not only was Dick Morris burned by that in 2012, but huge numbers of liberals who were confident John Kerry would win because the undecideds would break to him were burned by it in 2004.

But while I agree very much that the so-called "incumbent rule" is not really a rule and certainly is not reliable, there is one other point to pay attention to, which is mentioned by the article you link to.

That is:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So this is (at least potentially) actually pretty consistent with what IceSpear is saying, since he is referencing the fact that all of the Democratic challengers in these polls have low name recognition.

That is something that is true for congressional races much more than for high-profile Presidential races, and so while this thinking would clearly be incorrect for a Presidential race, it may apply at least somewhat more to congressional midterm races.

I would say that it is definitely a bad position for an incumbent to be in. Although I don't think we can justifiably be anything close to certain that this means that the undecideds in these races will in fact break for the Democratic challengers, if I had to choose to either be the incumbent or the challenger in this situation, I would rather be the challenger, wouldn't you? The challenger just has more upside.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies