Trump attacks protections for refugees from ‘sh**thole’ countries in Oval Office
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:57:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump attacks protections for refugees from ‘sh**thole’ countries in Oval Office
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: Trump attacks protections for refugees from ‘sh**thole’ countries in Oval Office  (Read 29001 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »

As much as I disagree with Trump on almost everything else, he's not wrong to classify such countries in this way.

I mean, what are countries like Nigeria, Congo or Pakistan - other than sh*tholes ?
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »

As much as I disagree with Trump on almost everything else, he's not wrong to classify such countries in this way.

I mean, what are countries like Nigeria, Congo or Pakistan - other than sh*tholes ?

He's not entirely wrong about these countries https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Fragile_States_Index

I do like the idea of more recorded meetings - I liked the insight gained from the back and forth in the immigration meeting from the other day.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2018, 11:13:44 AM »

You don’t judge immigrants by the caliber of the countries in which they are born, but by the caliber of American they can become
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »

Racist person says racist things. We then pretend to be outraged for a little while, and then give him a free pass.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »

You don’t judge immigrants by the caliber of the countries in which they are born, but by the caliber of American they can become

What do you mean with "You don't judge ..." ?

Please write "I don't judge ..." next time, because you are certainly not forcing me or others to believe your naive and crappy logic on immigration.

There is nothing wrong about a country deciding to only admit immigrants who come from culture-similar countries such as Norway or the Netherlands and not from some war-, crime- and terror-wrecked country in Africa or the Middle-East ...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »

@realDonaldTrump
2 hours ago
Never said anything derogatory about Haitians other than Haiti is, obviously, a very poor and troubled country. Never said “take them out.” Made up by Dems. I have a wonderful relationship with Haitians. Probably should record future meetings - unfortunately, no trust!

I dare him to.

LOL, he's literally Richard Nixon.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2018, 11:43:00 AM »

Countries in red are sh**tholes. Agree/Disagree/Did I miss any?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »

I get the feeling you want no judgement involved at all. You are just going to assume that everybody will become "great Americans" no matter what.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »

Countries full of human beings, many of whom are wonderful people.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »

Russia and Belarus need to be added.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »

Countries full of human beings, many of whom are wonderful people.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »

What a gross president and what a gross thread.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »

I am from Boynton Beach, FL originally. We have the ninth largest concentration of Haitians in America. Next to Boynton is the city of Lake Worth, commonly referred to as "the land of the little people," a perfect example of a sh*thole. The kind of place where all the dilapidated ranch style homes have bars on the windows.

But crammed in between these two cities is the town of Lantana, which is comprised of elderly Finnish-Americas and a few working class neighborhoods. I lived near the Boynton/Lantana border. So, we have immigrants from Haiti and Finland (not Norway but close enough). It works out fine. So who do we deport? The Guatemalans in Lake Worth? I mean we gotta deport somebody here! Bad hombres gotta go.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »

What a gross president and what a gross thread.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »

@realDonaldTrump
2 hours ago
Never said anything derogatory about Haitians other than Haiti is, obviously, a very poor and troubled country. Never said “take them out.” Made up by Dems. I have a wonderful relationship with Haitians. Probably should record future meetings - unfortunately, no trust!

If what he's saying is true, the republicans in that meeting would be defending him, not staying silent.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »

Durbin confirming, from the Chicago Sun:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »

The attempts being made by Trump supporters to try and defend and explain Trump's comments are making me really sick...
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »

That's me refering to D.C as a sh*thole just hours before the Trump "bombshell".

The only problem we have, is that we have a President who is NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT. That's all. He's right, guys. Alot of these places are freaking crapholes. Why should we always let everyone pour in? Maybe we should have more merit based immigration. Why not?

I guarantee there are millions of Americans who DO NOT CARE. If they said, "What's going on" and I said, "Trump asked during an immigration meeting why we take in people from sh*thole countries", their reaction would probably be, "Why do we?"

Liberals. Afraid of words. Incredible.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2018, 12:39:04 PM »

That's me refering to D.C as a sh*thole just hours before the Trump "bombshell".

The only problem we have, is that we have a President who is NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT. That's all. He's right, guys. Alot of these places are freaking crapholes. Why should we always let everyone pour in? Maybe we should have more merit based immigration. Why not?

I guarantee there are millions of Americans who DO NOT CARE. If they said, "What's going on" and I said, "Trump asked during an immigration meeting why we take in people from sh*thole countries", their reaction would probably be, "Why do we?"

Oh, here we go.
We now have Greedo's (Benjamin Harrison's) twin brother entering the thread.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »

China should definitely be on list.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »

100%
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »

Great article, featured on RCP.

https://spectator.org/importing-the-s-hole/

Is there any question Haiti is a s***hole? Who’s offended by that? If it wasn’t a s***hole it wouldn’t be one of the most prominent recipients of American charity aid on Planet Earth. And it isn’t like this country has ignored Haiti — we’ve been trying to lift it out of s***hole status for more than a century, with absolutely no result whatever.

What has America derived from mass immigration from Somalia? Machete attacks on street corners in Columbus and mall stabbings in suburban Minneapolis.

Sure, ideally it would be nice if the president wasn’t quoted as describing other countries as s***holes. But these are s***holes. They’re places where the local culture is unquestionably, horribly dysfunctional, and where civil society and the rule of law as we know them do not exist. Successful immigration from such places depends on assimilation into our culture, and most definitely not the importation of their inferior culture — and that means small numbers of immigrants with skills and qualities ensuring their positive participation in our society. Not mass willy-nilly immigration to turn swaths of our cities into breeding grounds for Al Shabaab or MS-13.

The open-borders crowd doesn’t want to talk about that, though, and it wants to call you racist if you’re opposed to a deluge of immigrants from the worst places on earth. That’s why Trump’s “s***holes” objection is big news rather than the fact there are so-called political leaders who can’t agree to reorient our immigration policy toward taking people who can successfully assimilate here.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2018, 12:46:03 PM »

I'm tired of the "millions of people think like that" that you and Fox News have been pushing. That's a horrible, uneducated way to view the world. I've been to, quote, "sh*thole" countries and am friends with people who live there. I would welcome them with open arms.

Haiti is not well off because it was totally razed and basically held for ransom by various countries like France and the US. It's not the people's fault, so I see no reason to bar them from immigrating to the US.

Africa was also raped by European colonialism and imperialism. It's also inaccurate; Nigeria and South Africa, for instance, are quite well off. Also not the people's fault, also no reason to bar them from immigrating here.

Meanwhile, it seems like rural areas in the United States, which we Democrats now apparently have to worship as the "real America" and, to paraphrase Il Duce, come to their small towns "begging" for their votes (and would do anything for them), are impoverished. I wouldn't stoop to the President's level and call them "sh*tholes," though, because I value human beings and don't support mass generations.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2018, 12:50:08 PM »

100%

Words have started wars, caused genocides, ended careers, ended nations, among many other things. Any wise individual would be more afraid and cautious of words than anything else, because almost everything starts with something that was said or heard that caused a chain reaction.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies