California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:51:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 65016 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: December 14, 2022, 12:22:20 AM »

I would say two things: first, this is going to be a very interesting race. Second, I just hope the next Senator from California isn't Ro Khanna

What's wrong with Khanna in your mind? He's a pretty standard Democrat from what I know.

In general, I always considered him to be rather weak in his position on Russia. His support to now-withdrawn letter of CPC to Biden which was a big disappointment and which basically asks to push Ukraine into negotiations and ceding territories, reaffirm my judgment on him. In the Senate there are already some pro-Putin members (e.g. Rand Paul, Josh Hawley), one will be sworn-in on January 3, 2023 (J.D. Vance, who "doesn't really care what happens to Ukraine one way or another") and I don't want this "Putin caucus" to grow any more

Ah, ok-- I should've guessed. If he had just asked for negotiations then I'd be ok with that; even if they don't go anywhere, it's important to at least give Putin the feeling that he has a way out of this so that he doesn't go ballistic. Pushing Zelensky to actually cede territory is disqualifying though IMO.

Yeah, I assume he's just asking for negotiations. Khanna has his flaws, but he's way better than most of the other people getting mentioned here.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 03:32:09 AM »

I'm not sure how this obsession over "Who's more progressive/Moderate" will work for anyone considering there's like a 1% difference between how Porter/Lee/Schiff/Khanna vote

Schiff voted for Iraq while Lee voted against Afghanistan.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 04:17:59 AM »

I just remembered the Raul Ruiz vs. Raul Ruiz from 2020

Has this really happened? A Democratic primary between candidates with the same name? Can't find it on Ballotpedia.

In JFK's first election, he had a primary opponent named Joe Russo, so suddenly a second Joe Russo showed up.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 06:23:02 PM »

comparing Biden's 2020 run with Barbara Lee's senate run is not an apt one...Dems didn't have many alternatives in 2020
Weren’t there 26 other candidates in the primary race? There were pretty clearly alternatives to Biden

Yeah, but only one had voted for the Iraq war, bankruptcy bill, and to constitutionally ban abortion, so we had to go with him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 01:46:50 AM »

She has fallen so much since her days of vetoing domestic partnerships and raising a confederate flag. Oh wait, she's always been terrible.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 01:48:29 AM »

Porter and Schiff just voted for MORE WAR IN SYRIA while Lee voted against it. The true progressive is obvious.

Lee's record isn't perfect, but she's voted against Syria, Iraq, and even Afghanistan while hawk Schiff has voted for all of those.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 10:37:57 PM »

Just a really disgusting exploitation of sexism here. Never underestimate the Dem establishment's ability to simp for the most mediocre politicians imaginable.

Reminds me of the general Democratic reaction to Neera getting shot down, or Sinema saying sexism was why she got criticized for Fortnite dancing on the poor.

I mentioned this before with the calls for McConnell to resign. Feinstein's absences are denying Democrats a majority on the Judiciary committee, blocking nominations. And Pelosi endorsed the one man in the 3 way race to replace Feinstein. Pelosi is pathetic.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 02:36:46 AM »

If his goal is a placeholder, I don't see how it could be anyone besides Weber.

I have also seen the name of Bay Area Transit Board member Lateefah Simon mentioned as a possibility. Simon is currently the frontrunner for the CA-12 House seat held by Barbara Lee. It would be weird to have a sitting senator running for a house seat but there is nothing stopping her from from being a senate placeholder while continuing to run for the house.  

They tried to kick her off the BART board because she didn't quite live in her new district despite them telling her that she did and she couldn't confirm herself because she's blind.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 11:55:40 PM »

There’s a very good chance that if Lee wins, she also dies in office less than a decade from Feinstein. Imagine two Senators who held the same seat at different times pulling a Clair Engle.

Eh, you don't know who dies in office until it happens. Somehow Strom Thurmond didn't die in office.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 12:39:31 AM »

Hilarious how Barbara Lee is somehow too old when she's 4 years younger than Biden.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 01:04:30 AM »

To be very honest, People were kinda grossly overestimating the requirments that the Apointee needed. He could have found a NGO leader or an academic with a solid record of being a partisan democrat, and some significant achievement to appoint.

He certainly could have found someone who is both more qualified and more of a Californian than his pick and who doesn't seem to have endorsed in the race. Like Leondra Kruger.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 01:54:10 PM »

The voters used to not be so friendly to appointed Senators. A California Democrat even lost in the 1964 landslide.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 07:14:23 PM »

Looks like Butler isn't the only Marylander interested in representing CA in the US Senate...

Look, we only have 40 million people actually living in California, so it's hard to find someone who isn't a resident of a state of 6 million 3000 miles away here.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 09:04:35 PM »

Barbara Lee would be 78 years old at the time of the election.
Weren't young american progresisves tired of old candidates?

Some progressives were hoping that Mike Gravel would get to call Bernie Sanders "young man" in a debate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 10:48:25 PM »

Schiff just running crap ads all "I stood up to Trump" girl who cares talk about the issues

In California?  Many people care quite a bit lol
I would say we care more about the issues but California voters are pretty brain dead sometimes.

"Resistance" wine moms just care that he yelled Russia and got censured.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 02:15:09 AM »

What an embarrassment. Maybe someday my state will stop rewarding the Pelosi/Newsom political machine for its corruption and treachery, but not anytime soon.

Who did you vote for today?

Tactical vote for Porter to stop Schiff. Really disappointing result.

I considered doing the same, but decided it wasn't looking that likely for Porter and voted Lee.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 11:14:14 PM »

I've had a few people even ask me why there were two Senate races with the same people on the ballot, and they're consistent voters. The general will have more "low info" voters compared to last night's primary that I expect will vote for the same person in both match-ups, so I don't expect much of a discrepancy in the results for the special and the full term.

TBH, it’s pretty ridiculous that there’s two in this case. I get it if it’s two or four years, but a two month term is kind of a waste of time for an election.

I had thought that usually they'd just combine the elections for that 2 month special term, but California does not. However, I think if someone got a majority in the special, they'd be seated soon. Not certain about that though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2024, 01:38:39 AM »

Hot damn. Since the top two system was instituted, has there ever been a statewide election where a Republican placed first?

The 2014 Controller election almost had the Republicans shut out the Democrats. They ended up with 1st and 4th place. The 4th place candidate was only 0.7 points behind 2nd place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies