COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:06:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116102 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: April 15, 2020, 02:02:31 PM »

On vacation, I used to see confederate battle flags in Maine of all places. It's probably from people who used to live in the south, or had family from there. I also think that flag has in some quarters shifted from a southern symbol to a conservative symbol.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1626 on: April 15, 2020, 02:02:38 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2020, 02:14:38 PM by GP270watch »

They're white supremacists, so why are people shocked by this?

They're going to fly the symbols of hate no matter where they go. Times of crisis like this always see a rise of hate based extremism as well. Something unfortunately that needs to be monitored and addressed while dealing with the pandemic.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1627 on: April 15, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »

I hate how everybody is saying "this is nobody's fault" like they act like us being forced to stay indoors and have the economy go to sh**t was just unavoidable.

There is at least one person to blame and his name is Xi Jinping, and if I was POTUS I'd be doing everything possible to make sure he was being guillotined in Tienanmen Square in retribution for all those who have perished at the hands of communism, as well as for this new 9/11 attack from a Chinese bioweapon, and that the citizens of the PRC were being marched through the Xinjiang concentration camps a la German citizens after allied forces ended the Holocaust.
Exactly how would we do that?
Are we going to send our military to a highly nationalistic and cohesive nation of over 1 Billion people, the size of the US? If China were a weaker and smaller country, I would be all for it, but I don’t think military force will be very helpful in this type of scenario.

IMO an economic war would be far more effective but it would require us to increase trade with Chinese neighbors (SE Asian countries) expand NATO, and to buy influence in Africa (exactly what China is doing right now) That would starve China of allies over time and would allow us to cut lots of Chinese trade without hurting American consumers as much while preventing the Chinese empire from rising.
Cutting off Xi’s head is a pipe-dream, and forcing 1 billion people to walk through the camps is not happening, even if we somehow invaded successfully.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1628 on: April 15, 2020, 02:03:14 PM »

Protesters in Michigan have Trump flags and Confederate flags. Suffice to say, this protest is really NOT about Whitmer, is it.

Confederate Flags <-- ? --> Michigan

Their God Emperor thinks George Washington conquered airports in the Indepedence war and Andrew Jackson was upset about the Civil War. What do you expect?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1629 on: April 15, 2020, 02:06:11 PM »

Protesters in Michigan have Trump flags and Confederate flags. Suffice to say, this protest is really NOT about Whitmer, is it.

Something something ... cultural heritage ... something something

I wonder if a gradual uptick in nostalgia for the Confederacy in the north happened to coincide with the Great Migration...
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1630 on: April 15, 2020, 02:08:24 PM »

Michigan's order is a bit more restrictive than most.  For example, Michiganders are now prohibited from travelling between private residences which they own.

They don't want people over-whelminging rural towns with illness they brought in from the cities and suburbs, where they would put the local population at risk, overwhelm the local health infrastructure and also endanger themselves because there are not resources to care for them if they fall ill. This virus can take days to weeks to manifest itself.

It's a very sketchy order though and I understand some of the anger against it. The rich are going to their vacation homes and nobody is stopping them. A pandemic is a very tough situation.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1631 on: April 15, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »

How stupid are Michigan Republicans?

LOLZ getting sick to own the libz!

Went on Snapchat map to view public stories in the area, it appears a bunch of people, including teenagers with "young people against Whitmer" signs have started physically protesting outside the capital.

What did she do even? How could anyone protest her?

Michigan's order is a bit more restrictive than most.  For example, Michiganders are now prohibited from travelling between private residences which they own.

I think a legitimate argument can be made that Whitmer has gone too far with her order. For example, some of her measures banning the sale of non-essential goods in grocery and hardware stores seem to stray into the realm of authoritarianism. However, I don't think that should excuse the behavior of neo-Confederates and white supremacists who seem to be taking advantage of this crisis to espouse their hateful agendas, as with many of these protesters in Lansing.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1632 on: April 15, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »

Governor Cuomo mandating the wearing of masks in public (where social distancing is not possible):

Didn't the WHO say not to wear masks? Or does that matter now that Trump cut its funding?

When I was last at work on Monday, I wore a mask early on, but got tired of adjusting it, and eventually took it off. Given that the CDC and various state governors (like mine's), have recommended doing so while out in public, I felt bad for doing so. But I've heard and read that masks aren't intended to protect you from getting the virus; they are intended to protect others from getting it from you.

The other benefit of a mask that I've found is that it serves as a constant reminder to not touch my face.

Honestly I found it to be the opposite. I went to the store wearing a cloth one the other day and like Calthrina spent so much time touching my face to adjust it that I wondered if it served more harm than good

This is exactly why I decided to take mines off. Every few minutes, my mask would slide down from my nose, and I kept on trying to adjust it. I got tired of that, especially since I know there are other people who will scrutinize you for doing so, and will accuse you of being careless. It's better not to wear a mask when this kind of situation happens.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1633 on: April 15, 2020, 02:20:50 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2020, 02:30:09 PM by money printer go brrr »

Re: confederate flags in Michigan, there was a mass migration into Michigan from Appalachia and the upper south after WWII as people left the south for auto work. The Great Migration is thought of as only an African American thing but it happened with poor whites as well.

Also if you're surprised that Michiganders would embrace symbols of White Supremacy then you should read about Detroit's history of race riots.

Is this really necessary?  NYS has already peaked in terms of deaths/new infections, and the added benefit of masks is extremely marginal at best.

We peaked because of social distancing, not because the virus had infected too many people already to keep its momentum up. Now we want to end the social distancing, but there's plenty of fuel still available for it to restart the exponential growth. All it takes is one untracked individual to spark another outbreak. Masks will help prevent this.

Yeah I'll add to this that even if NY is "past peak" they're still adding thousands of new cases per day. Passing "peak" isn't like flipping a switch after which everything is fine; we're looking at potential for a long tail of infections and mortality like Italy.

The claim that benefits will be "marginal at best" is really dumb, for lack of a better term.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1634 on: April 15, 2020, 02:23:08 PM »

Uhh...bit far north of the Mason-Dixon Line there, guys.

Yeah, that's what I mean 🙃 It's not about that at all.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1635 on: April 15, 2020, 02:34:26 PM »

Re: confederate flags in Michigan, there was a mass migration into Michigan from Appalachia and the upper south after WWII as people left the south for auto work. The Great Migration is thought of as only an African American thing but it happened with poor whites as well.

Also if you're surprised that Michiganders would embrace symbols of White Supremacy then you should read about Detroit's history of race riots.

Is this really necessary?  NYS has already peaked in terms of deaths/new infections, and the added benefit of masks is extremely marginal at best.

We peaked because of social distancing, not because the virus had infected too many people already to keep its momentum up. Now we want to end the social distancing, but there's plenty of fuel still available for it to restart the exponential growth. All it takes is one untracked individual to spark another outbreak. Masks will help prevent this.

Yeah I'll add to this that even if NY is "past peak" they're still adding thousands of new cases per day. Passing "peak" isn't like flipping a switch after which everything is fine; we're looking at potential for a long tail of infections and mortality like Italy.

The claim that benefits will be "marginal at best" is really dumb, for lack of a better term.

No no, you know I don't read anything that isn't about TEXAS history -- the finest, bestest, biggest history of anywhere!
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1636 on: April 15, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »

No no, you know I don't read anything that isn't about TEXAS history -- the finest, bestest, biggest history of anywhere!

You jest but in my experience people in Michigan don't know any history south of the Toledo strip. I once had a Michigander ask me what the Appalachian mountains were.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1637 on: April 15, 2020, 02:38:48 PM »

I saw the Facebook page where people organized the protest in Michigan. I told them they probably lost over half their support by turning it into a big pro-Trump rally.

The Trumpers don't get to monopolize the idea of trying to get states to reopen and lift martial law.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1638 on: April 15, 2020, 02:40:52 PM »

I saw the Facebook page where people organized the protest in Michigan. I told them they probably lost over half their support by turning it into a big pro-Trump rally.

The Trumpers don't get to monopolize the idea of trying to get states to reopen and lift martial law.

This isn't martial law, or anything close to it.  Throwing such terms around doesn't help your case at all.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1639 on: April 15, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »

FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #1640 on: April 15, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »

Is not better have undetected cases they spread the disease
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1641 on: April 15, 2020, 03:04:32 PM »

A friend of mine told me that even a vaccine won't be very helpful, since the virus is likely to mutate and render such a vaccine useless. We will be socially distancing for many years to come.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1642 on: April 15, 2020, 03:07:10 PM »

A friend of mine told me that even a vaccine won't be very helpful, since the virus is likely to mutate and render such a vaccine useless. We will be socially distancing for many years to come.

This virus isn't mutating fast at all, and the fact that this virus is slowly mutating might if anything make it much easier to make a vaccine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8208379/Coronavirus-mutating-slowly-giving-scientists-time-develop-vaccine.html

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/26/822107691/the-coronavirus-is-mutating-relatively-slowly-which-may-be-good-news

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1643 on: April 15, 2020, 03:08:42 PM »

You misspelled economic anxiety.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1644 on: April 15, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »

This virus isn't mutating fast at all, and the fact that this virus is slowly mutating might if anything make it much easier to make a vaccine.

The Chinese government ruined the global economy for decades, and we need to put crippling sanctions on their economy yesterday.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1645 on: April 15, 2020, 03:11:15 PM »

You misspelled economic anxiety.

One reason i'm very optimistic for the nationalist movement this decade is that very soon you will have both economic anxiety and demographic anxiety plaguing the WWC. Take those two things and BOOM you have a movement.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1646 on: April 15, 2020, 03:11:29 PM »

The Chinese government ruined the global economy for decades, and we need to put crippling sanctions on their economy yesterday.

How does that relate to the quoted posts?  Are you trying to emulate OC? Wink
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1647 on: April 15, 2020, 03:13:43 PM »

I wonder what today's excuse is for the lack of testing.

I'm tired of that word 'can't'. We "can't" test. We "can't" approve remdesivir. We "can't" have antibody tests (that were promised weeks ago). Can't, can't, can't. With this "can't" sort of attitude, we never would have been able to send astronauts to the moon, or even eradicate polio.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1648 on: April 15, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »

Ignoring the obvious topic change, I don't think it will be decades. Recession didn't "ruin" our economy for long. However, I am out for blood, and I am very much looking forward to President Hawley putting the heads of China and the WHO on spikes. America First!
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1649 on: April 15, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »

Ignoring the obvious topic change, I don't think it will be decades. Recession didn't "ruin" our economy for long. However, I am out for blood, and I am very much looking forward to President Hawley putting the heads of China and the WHO on spikes. America First!

I'm not much of a nationalist myself, but they do need to be punished.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies