COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:47:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116667 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: April 15, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »

Different, recent trial results on a clinical trial of chloroquine diphosphate.
The high dose CQ arm presented more QTc>500ms (25%), and a trend toward higher lethality (17%) than the lower dosage. Fatality rate was 13.5% (95%CI=6.9-23.0%), overlapping with the CI of historical data from similar patients not using CQ (95%CI=14.5-19.2%). In 14 patients with paired samples, respiratory secretion at day 4 was negative in only one patient. Interpretation Preliminary findings suggest that the higher CQ dosage (10-day regimen) should not be recommended for COVID-19 treatment because of its potential safety hazards.

Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but it seems like this study had no control/placebo group, and was basing it’s conclusions on an extremely small sample size.  Each dosage group had ~40 participants, and they conclude the high dose is worse based on 7 deaths in that group versus 4 deaths in the low dose group.  But are either better than no treatment?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1576 on: April 15, 2020, 09:45:58 AM »

Different, recent trial results on a clinical trial of chloroquine diphosphate.
The high dose CQ arm presented more QTc>500ms (25%), and a trend toward higher lethality (17%) than the lower dosage. Fatality rate was 13.5% (95%CI=6.9-23.0%), overlapping with the CI of historical data from similar patients not using CQ (95%CI=14.5-19.2%). In 14 patients with paired samples, respiratory secretion at day 4 was negative in only one patient. Interpretation Preliminary findings suggest that the higher CQ dosage (10-day regimen) should not be recommended for COVID-19 treatment because of its potential safety hazards.

Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but it seems like this study had no control/placebo group, and was basing it’s conclusions on an extremely small sample size.  Each dosage group had ~40 participants, and they conclude the high dose is worse based on 7 deaths in that group versus 4 deaths in the low dose group.  But are either better than no treatment?

I could see the lack of controls being an issue but thats a large enough sample size to make significant findings.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1577 on: April 15, 2020, 10:06:26 AM »

Absolutely incredible how frequently people in this administration are able to use blatant untruths to rally people around their flag without being laughed out of public life.

I know this is a trope at this point but nobody in the Obama administration (and nobody in a hypothetical Biden administration) would ever say something this idiotic.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1578 on: April 15, 2020, 10:23:39 AM »

Absolutely incredible how frequently people in this administration are able to use blatant untruths to rally people around their flag without being laughed out of public life.

I know this is a trope at this point but nobody in the Obama administration (and nobody in a hypothetical Biden administration) would ever say something this idiotic.

Yes, she’s factually inaccurate, but overall correct. There have been many other Covid viruses, so one could firmly deduce that we could learn from the other Covid diseases. The left playing “gotcha” games is just stupid.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1579 on: April 15, 2020, 10:45:42 AM »

While wealthy Americans are not eligible for the comparatively measly $1,200 stimulus checks that are now being disbursed to many Americans, they are on pace to do even better. 43,000 taxpayers, who earn more than $1 million annually, are each set to receive a $1.7 million windfall, on average, thanks to a provision buried in the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

[...]

“For those earning $1 million annually, a tax break buried in the recent coronavirus relief legislation is so generous that its total cost is more than total new funding for all hospitals in America and more than the total provided to all state and local governments,” said Doggett. “Someone wrongly seized on this health emergency to reward ultrarich beneficiaries, likely including the Trump family, with a tax loophole not available to middle class families. This net operating loss loophole is a loser that should be repealed.”
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1580 on: April 15, 2020, 11:08:32 AM »

Yes, she’s factually inaccurate, but overall correct. There have been many other Covid viruses, so one could firmly deduce that we could learn from the other Covid diseases. The left playing “gotcha” games is just stupid.

Hmmmm... Let’s try replacing ”World Health Organization” with “Trump administration” in her statement. The WHO didn’t defund its pandemic response unit two years ago, after all.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1581 on: April 15, 2020, 11:16:52 AM »

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Two House Democrats have introduced legislation that would give millions of Americans $2,000 per month during the coronavirus pandemic.
The new bill is called the Emergency Money for the People Act.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/04/15/emergency-money-for-the-people-act-stimulus-bill/
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1582 on: April 15, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Two House Democrats have introduced legislation that would give millions of Americans $2,000 per month during the coronavirus pandemic.
The new bill is called the Emergency Money for the People Act.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/04/15/emergency-money-for-the-people-act-stimulus-bill/

This is not going to pass. It was enough trouble as it is to get the one-time payment through Congress, considering the objections many Republicans like Lindsay Graham and Ben Sasse had to it (although they ultimately acquiesced).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1583 on: April 15, 2020, 11:30:38 AM »

WWE as essential sounds frivolous, but if there is no one in the stands (there won't be), what is the practical concern here?  Getting some sports going for TV audiences will do a great deal to boost morale and tolerance of the various intermediate rules that will be needed until we have a vaccine.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1584 on: April 15, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »

They're going to pass another stimulus because the states and municipalities are broke. Republicans will water down what the Democrats want and sneak in some other huge tax cut for the wealthy, like they always do.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1585 on: April 15, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »

"The act would expand relief to more Americans and includes a $2,000 monthly payment to every qualifying American over the age of 16 until employment returns to pre-COVID-19 levels."

I'm not against UBI, but having this in place until unemployment re-achieves historic 50-year-lows is quite a high bar. I think we'd be happy if it gets within a few points of 3.5%!
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1586 on: April 15, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »

I now officially believe that Meclazine is one of the the top posters on this site.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1587 on: April 15, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »

Governor Cuomo mandating the wearing of masks in public (where social distancing is not possible):

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1588 on: April 15, 2020, 12:22:00 PM »

No idea why I don’t have my Stimulus Check seeing as I get SSDI via Direct Deposit (which I did receive today, per normal).

And the IRS tool doesn’t work and has locked me out for the next 24 hours. This is all ridiculous.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1589 on: April 15, 2020, 12:40:19 PM »

No idea why I don’t have my Stimulus Check seeing as I get SSDI via Direct Deposit (which I did receive today, per normal).

And the IRS tool doesn’t work and has locked me out for the next 24 hours. This is all ridiculous.
Thanks Obama!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1590 on: April 15, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »

Donald Trump's WHO criticism for being too friendly with China (which is actually true) is totally ridiculous, given what he tweeted earlier this year:

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1591 on: April 15, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »

Governor Cuomo mandating the wearing of masks in public (where social distancing is not possible):

Nanny state.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1592 on: April 15, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »

It’s disgusting, isn’t it?  I’ve already seen half a dozen illegals and blah people running down the street hooting and yelling, making it rain all over the place.  Meanwhile I’m sitting here with my order of 500 miniature American flags still in my Amazon shopping cart.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1593 on: April 15, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »

Nanny state.

Father Knows Best state.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1594 on: April 15, 2020, 01:03:59 PM »

How stupid are Michigan Republicans?

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1595 on: April 15, 2020, 01:09:46 PM »

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1596 on: April 15, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »

Say it after me: NONE OF THOSE NUMBERS ARE ACCURATE WHATSOEVER.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1597 on: April 15, 2020, 01:17:00 PM »

How stupid are Michigan Republicans?

Show some empathy; they had to make a tough choice here.  On one hand, get out and march a normal protest, poorly spelled signs and all, thus flouting the silly liberal instructions on social distancing.  On the other hand, get your fat lazy ass out of the car for ten minutes and walk somewhere.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1598 on: April 15, 2020, 01:22:12 PM »

And people once thought the PATRIOT ACT was severe government overreach.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1599 on: April 15, 2020, 01:27:29 PM »

And people once thought the PATRIOT ACT was severe government overreach.
The Patriot Act was a great thing for America.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies