COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:09:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116203 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 04, 2020, 08:05:52 PM »

Once I am medically cleared and fully recover I am going to donate my plasma
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #251 on: April 04, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »

When are we going to be willing to have a conversation about whether we have massively overreacted without people saying that anyone who doesn't repeat the #StayAtHomeFor18Months #FlattenTheCurve mantra is wanting people to die?

Hopefully soon.  I'm a 63 year old in an essential occupation.  I have come to believe that this is an overreaction that has arisen out of good and bad motives.

The medical and scientific "experts" (and I'm not denying their expertise) have, indeed, been repeatedly wrong about this issue, and that includes the now Iconic Dr. Fauci.  John Kerry was for the Iraq war before he was against it and Anthony Fauci thought this would be a minor deal before it came the Bubonic Plague Lite.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/17/nih-disease-official-anthony-fauci-risk-of-coronavirus-in-u-s-is-minuscule-skip-mask-and-wash-hands/4787209002/

If that testing shows the virus has slipped into the country in places federal officials don't know about, "we've got a problem," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told USA TODAY's Editorial Board Monday.

Short of that, Fauci says skip the masks unless you are contagious, don't worry about catching anything from Chinese products and certainly don't avoid Chinese people or restaurants.

That was February 19, 2020.  Here's what he said April 2:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/fauci-national-lockdown-stay-at-home-orders-152802623.html

As more U.S. states issue stay-at-home orders and the federal government recommends a 30-day period of social distancing, Dr. Anthony Fauci on Thursday suggested the need for a national lockdown, while acknowledging he does not have the authority to order one.

Fauci has lectured Americans about how people will die and how we need to stay at home longer, or "people will die".  And I get that.  I get it about "lowering the curve".  But will people not die if we tank the economy and they cannot maintain basic necessities?  Tucker Carlson stated last night in pondering the issue that we can go on like this long enough to where we become a poorer nation going forward.  Is he wrong?  Is that an outcome that can happen.  Carlson also suggested that poorer nations are less healthy than richer nations.  Is he wrong?

Our system of government is not an "expertocracy".  There's a place for experts, and Fauci is indeed that, but it's easy for him to talk how others need to hang in there because he's not losing his job and he's got the means to ride out whatever comes.  The same can't be said for millions of Americans' their entire future can be altered for the worse, and permanently so, if they have to do without doing business for 3-4 months (or even longer).  Business "experts" predict all sorts of 1929 scenarios should this go on for 5-6 months; are they to just be blown off?

There does become a point where the cure is worse than the disease.  That needs to be honestly discussed.  I'm not convinced that locking down America to the extreme degree we have is a solution that is smaller than the problem.  Perhaps it IS necessary.  But I'm not willing to blindly listen to "experts" uncritically.  It was the foreign policy Anthony Faucis that advised LBJ prior to the Gulf of Tonkin resolution all the way up through the Tet Offensive.  

So America is now somehow special from literally every other country that has gone under lockdown?
We have the most cases in this country because of people like you, who fail to understand that a complete collapse of the healthcare system and millions of deaths as a result (not just from Covid, but from the hospital collapse) will also hurt the economy. We had months before to prevent this outcome, and you people called us “alarmists”, told us to stop panicking over every little thing, compared it to the flu, etc. Your actions have consequences and it’s too late to prevent any harm to the economy. The smart thing to do would be to go under a strict lockdown for two weeks nationally, and then to ease restrictions based on infection rates in certain states. Of course, you would still cry about the economy and “muh big government” no matter what. We get it, you think science is an imprecise guessing game and Fauci doesn’t know what he is doing. We get it, your amazing internet biology knowledge triumphs over decades of public work and experience in fighting epidemics.

Your post is an ignorant personal attack.  Ignorant, in that it ignores my central point.

I've never been opposed to a "strict lockdown" for a "two-week period"  I have never said I'm opposed to THAT.  But there has been talk from "experts" (including Dr. Fauci) about continuing a stay at home order for several months, drastic restrictions for up to a year, and massive shutdowns of part of our economy for an extended period of time, and these proposals (which are, indeed, out there) are proposals that propose a long-term cutting back on things that are the stuff of life.  And it's being made by people who underestimated the scope of the problem not that long ago.  

I'm not the one that predicted what Fauci predicted, and I don't have the credentials to give an expert opinion.  I'm not a science guy, period.  But I'm acquainted on a daily basis about the economic devastation this quarantine has been on the most ECONOMICALLY vulnerable in our country, and that's the relatively unskilled working poor.  They may receive checks to get them through for a while, but what after that?  I'm also not a "much big government" Republican; go through my posts and find me emphasizing that theme.  (That's an argument which required you to use your reading glasses and not your flamethrower.)

I'll again remind people of the Vietnam War.  All of the "experts" were for it after they were against it.  What's the pre-eminent book about the Brain Trust of experts that got us into Vietnam, and got us stuck there?  It's David Halberstram's The Best and the Brightest.  The questioning of experts is often silenced until after they're proven wrong, when other people are paying for their miscalculations.  Dr. Fauci is an expert, and I'll give him that.  I'll give him a number of benefits of the doubt.  But I'm not going to agree to the idea that, yes, a 5 month lockdown is OK; anything to beat this virus.  That's a cure that is likely worse than the disease, yet people are proposing that in this situation.  
Understood.
I apologize for misinterpreting your position.
You are correct that in theory, there is a point in which we would need to balance out the costs of human life with the costs of economic/societal damage of long term lockdowns. All that being said, we are nowhere near that point, and likely won’t have to get to that point if we enforce these lockdowns in the short term. Unfortunately, the argument you make is abused by people to justify completely reversing lockdowns, and “going back to work” now. Fauci did talk about some Americans being under lockdown for eight weeks, but that would be a worst-case scenario if it had to be implemented nationwide for that long. As for your comments about how Fauci “underestimated” the problem, that is false. Fauci was well aware of this problem from the beginning, and it was Trump and a few select governors who ignored/downplayed the problem. It is definitely too early to tell how long we will need these restrictions, but I would expect some States to be ready to transition slowly back to normal after a few weeks of lockdown. I can understand completely why you would be opposed to a five-month lockdown, and I think we won’t need something like that anyways.

I'm not going to let Fauci off the hook.  He said what he said in February, and he was advising Trump then.  That doesn't mean he's wrong now, but it is fair to say he was wrong not too long ago, or he's wrong now and was right then.  

I just took my 14 year old son outside.  He wanted to roller skate, and then some kids came by (brothers) riding bikes.  I had to tell him he couldn't go skating off with them.  That really stunk.  Two weeks of that he can handle.  Four months?  Somehow, I don't think so.  You can talk about WWII and how miserable life was for many back then, but this ISN'T WWII.  

On the other hand, I don't want my 65 year old cancer surviving wife to get sick.  That would not be good at all.  That point is hardly lost on me.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #252 on: April 04, 2020, 08:23:51 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/4 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'll be keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day. The percentages represent the daily increase from the last report.

3/26:
  • Cases: 85,390
  • Deaths: ±1,200

3/27:
  • Cases: 103,798 (+18,408 | ↑21.56%)
  • Deaths: 1,693 (+493 | ↑41.03%)

3/28:
  • Cases: 123,428 (+19,630 | ↑18.91%)
  • Deaths: 2,211 (+518 | ↑30.60%)

3/29:
  • Cases: 142,178 (+18,750 | ↑15.20%)
  • Deaths: 2,484 (+273 | ↑12.35%)

3/30:
  • Cases: 163,490 (+21,312 | ↑14.99%)
  • Deaths: 3,148 (+664 | ↑26.73%)

3/31:
  • Cases: 187,917 (+24,427 | ↑14.94%)
  • Deaths: 3,867 (+749 | ↑22.84%)

4/1:
  • Cases: 215,003 (+27,086 | ↑14.41%)
  • Deaths: 5,102 (+1,235 | ↑31.94%)

4/2:
  • Cases: 244,433 (+29,430 | ↑13.69%)
  • Deaths: 6,070 (+968 | ↑18.97%)

4/3 (Yesterday):
  • Cases: 276,965 (+32,532 | ↑13.31%)
  • Deaths: 7,391 (+1,321 | ↑21.76%)

4/4 (Today):
  • Cases: 311,357 (+34,392 | ↑12.42%)
  • Deaths: 8,452 (+1,061 | ↑14.36%)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #253 on: April 04, 2020, 08:42:41 PM »

I'm not the one that predicted what Fauci predicted, and I don't have the credentials to give an expert opinion.  I'm not a science guy, period.  But I'm acquainted on a daily basis about the economic devastation this quarantine has been on the most ECONOMICALLY vulnerable in our country, and that's the relatively unskilled working poor.

Dr. Fauci is an expert, and I'll give him that.  I'll give him a number of benefits of the doubt.  But I'm not going to agree to the idea that, yes, a 5 month lockdown is OK; anything to beat this virus.  That's a cure that is likely worse than the disease, yet people are proposing that in this situation.  

I'm not going to let Fauci off the hook.  He said what he said in February, and he was advising Trump then.  That doesn't mean he's wrong now, but it is fair to say he was wrong not too long ago, or he's wrong now and was right then.
You're saying "the lockdown is economically bad", but you're not taking into account what would happen economically if we ended it and everybody got sick. My province (state) had a press conference on Friday where our leading experts said "let me be clear, the lockdown is better for the economy. There is NO CHOICE between economy and saving lives".

The facts don't care about your feelings, and the facts do NOT clearly show that the lockdown is worse than what you are suggesting for the economy.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #254 on: April 04, 2020, 08:44:25 PM »

Good to see someone holding Fox News accountable for their lies and hypocrisy:

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #255 on: April 04, 2020, 08:55:34 PM »

When are we going to be willing to have a conversation about whether we have massively overreacted without people saying that anyone who doesn't repeat the #StayAtHomeFor18Months #FlattenTheCurve mantra is wanting people to die?

Hopefully soon.  I'm a 63 year old in an essential occupation.  I have come to believe that this is an overreaction that has arisen out of good and bad motives.

The medical and scientific "experts" (and I'm not denying their expertise) have, indeed, been repeatedly wrong about this issue, and that includes the now Iconic Dr. Fauci.  John Kerry was for the Iraq war before he was against it and Anthony Fauci thought this would be a minor deal before it came the Bubonic Plague Lite.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/17/nih-disease-official-anthony-fauci-risk-of-coronavirus-in-u-s-is-minuscule-skip-mask-and-wash-hands/4787209002/

If that testing shows the virus has slipped into the country in places federal officials don't know about, "we've got a problem," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told USA TODAY's Editorial Board Monday.

Short of that, Fauci says skip the masks unless you are contagious, don't worry about catching anything from Chinese products and certainly don't avoid Chinese people or restaurants.

That was February 19, 2020.  Here's what he said April 2:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/fauci-national-lockdown-stay-at-home-orders-152802623.html

As more U.S. states issue stay-at-home orders and the federal government recommends a 30-day period of social distancing, Dr. Anthony Fauci on Thursday suggested the need for a national lockdown, while acknowledging he does not have the authority to order one.

Fauci has lectured Americans about how people will die and how we need to stay at home longer, or "people will die".  And I get that.  I get it about "lowering the curve".  But will people not die if we tank the economy and they cannot maintain basic necessities?  Tucker Carlson stated last night in pondering the issue that we can go on like this long enough to where we become a poorer nation going forward.  Is he wrong?  Is that an outcome that can happen.  Carlson also suggested that poorer nations are less healthy than richer nations.  Is he wrong?

Our system of government is not an "expertocracy".  There's a place for experts, and Fauci is indeed that, but it's easy for him to talk how others need to hang in there because he's not losing his job and he's got the means to ride out whatever comes.  The same can't be said for millions of Americans' their entire future can be altered for the worse, and permanently so, if they have to do without doing business for 3-4 months (or even longer).  Business "experts" predict all sorts of 1929 scenarios should this go on for 5-6 months; are they to just be blown off?

There does become a point where the cure is worse than the disease.  That needs to be honestly discussed.  I'm not convinced that locking down America to the extreme degree we have is a solution that is smaller than the problem.  Perhaps it IS necessary.  But I'm not willing to blindly listen to "experts" uncritically.  It was the foreign policy Anthony Faucis that advised LBJ prior to the Gulf of Tonkin resolution all the way up through the Tet Offensive.  

So America is now somehow special from literally every other country that has gone under lockdown?
We have the most cases in this country because of people like you, who fail to understand that a complete collapse of the healthcare system and millions of deaths as a result (not just from Covid, but from the hospital collapse) will also hurt the economy. We had months before to prevent this outcome, and you people called us “alarmists”, told us to stop panicking over every little thing, compared it to the flu, etc. Your actions have consequences and it’s too late to prevent any harm to the economy. The smart thing to do would be to go under a strict lockdown for two weeks nationally, and then to ease restrictions based on infection rates in certain states. Of course, you would still cry about the economy and “muh big government” no matter what. We get it, you think science is an imprecise guessing game and Fauci doesn’t know what he is doing. We get it, your amazing internet biology knowledge triumphs over decades of public work and experience in fighting epidemics.

Your post is an ignorant personal attack.  Ignorant, in that it ignores my central point.

I've never been opposed to a "strict lockdown" for a "two-week period"  I have never said I'm opposed to THAT.  But there has been talk from "experts" (including Dr. Fauci) about continuing a stay at home order for several months, drastic restrictions for up to a year, and massive shutdowns of part of our economy for an extended period of time, and these proposals (which are, indeed, out there) are proposals that propose a long-term cutting back on things that are the stuff of life.  And it's being made by people who underestimated the scope of the problem not that long ago.  

I'm not the one that predicted what Fauci predicted, and I don't have the credentials to give an expert opinion.  I'm not a science guy, period.  But I'm acquainted on a daily basis about the economic devastation this quarantine has been on the most ECONOMICALLY vulnerable in our country, and that's the relatively unskilled working poor.  They may receive checks to get them through for a while, but what after that?  I'm also not a "much big government" Republican; go through my posts and find me emphasizing that theme.  (That's an argument which required you to use your reading glasses and not your flamethrower.)

I'll again remind people of the Vietnam War.  All of the "experts" were for it after they were against it.  What's the pre-eminent book about the Brain Trust of experts that got us into Vietnam, and got us stuck there?  It's David Halberstram's The Best and the Brightest.  The questioning of experts is often silenced until after they're proven wrong, when other people are paying for their miscalculations.  Dr. Fauci is an expert, and I'll give him that.  I'll give him a number of benefits of the doubt.  But I'm not going to agree to the idea that, yes, a 5 month lockdown is OK; anything to beat this virus.  That's a cure that is likely worse than the disease, yet people are proposing that in this situation.  
Understood.
I apologize for misinterpreting your position.
You are correct that in theory, there is a point in which we would need to balance out the costs of human life with the costs of economic/societal damage of long term lockdowns. All that being said, we are nowhere near that point, and likely won’t have to get to that point if we enforce these lockdowns in the short term. Unfortunately, the argument you make is abused by people to justify completely reversing lockdowns, and “going back to work” now. Fauci did talk about some Americans being under lockdown for eight weeks, but that would be a worst-case scenario if it had to be implemented nationwide for that long. As for your comments about how Fauci “underestimated” the problem, that is false. Fauci was well aware of this problem from the beginning, and it was Trump and a few select governors who ignored/downplayed the problem. It is definitely too early to tell how long we will need these restrictions, but I would expect some States to be ready to transition slowly back to normal after a few weeks of lockdown. I can understand completely why you would be opposed to a five-month lockdown, and I think we won’t need something like that anyways.

I just took my 14 year old son outside.  He wanted to roller skate, and then some kids came by (brothers) riding bikes.  I had to tell him he couldn't go skating off with them.  That really stunk.  Two weeks of that he can handle.  Four months?  Somehow, I don't think so.  You can talk about WWII and how miserable life was for many back then, but this ISN'T WWII.  

On the other hand, I don't want my 65 year old cancer surviving wife to get sick.  That would not be good at all.  That point is hardly lost on me.
I know that it sucks, but we still have an obligation to follow the orders as strictly as possible so that we can eventually get back to normal. I doubt four months is necessary in most places, anyways.
As for Fauci, it was he who told Congress early on that there was a lack of testing, and he has been wary of the virus since literally early February. Fauci is an easy scapegoat, but he is the reason we even have a response. I would hold Trump and Congress accountable for ignoring the problem when they were the ones with the power to do something. From what I have researched, Fauci has spent his entire career looking out for human life, and I deeply respect the man. No matter luck, good luck to your family, especially your wife. These are hard times but we can get through them.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #256 on: April 04, 2020, 09:00:04 PM »

The Heroes of the Pandumbic.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2020, 09:11:13 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2020, 09:19:15 PM »

60,000 people landed in the U.S. from Europe every single day before the travel ban. 430,000 from China is actually super low considering the circumstances.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2020, 09:20:41 PM »

But I'm sure calling it "chinese virus" is totally cool with you. Trump didn't take this seriously and now we may be entering a depression. Deal with it.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2020, 09:54:58 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #261 on: April 04, 2020, 09:58:13 PM »

Yes, it is good, and, yes, many of these folks are lying about what they said two (2) months ago.

I feel for the makers of that youtube.  I've had the experience of calling out people who've told falsehoods and can't apologize for that.

Fuzzy Bear, I haven't forgotten how you joined Trump's cause in dehumanizing (illegal) immigrants by calling them 'insects', the last time we had that discussion.

And I'll make sure no one else does either.    

Quote that.

Game on.

Do you mean THIS post?

This post is false.  Trump said this in a discussion about MS13.  Can always count on Democrats to lie.  

Here's the actual statement in context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v2FdQQIn3U

I don't understand.  You all have a thousand very legit reasons to hate on Trump, why give his supporters ammo by making sh**t up?  YOU'RE NOT HELPING!

Whenever I see a post like this and I wonder why my TV isn't blowing up with this "latest statement" from Trumpy, the Ethnic Cleanser, and when I notice that the comments on that tweet are from 2018, I always smell an attempt at Echo Chamber Narrative Maintenance.

If Trump were talking about a whole group of people as vermin, I'd be very concerned.  That is, indeed, the sort of language that ought to concern anyone, and concern them enough to stop and reevaluate their position and intended future support of such a person.  But he's talking about MS-13 and he is absolutely right about that group.  And before anyone gets high and mighty, folks here have spoken of White Nationalist Groups with the same sort of language.  (And rightly so, I might add.)  MS-13 is, indeed, a plague on America, and a plague whose solution lies in the tightening of immigration laws and border security and in ending the anti-American practice of Sanctuary Cities.  Trump is right about those issues.  Why it is impossible for people to concede Trump is right on those matters while opposing him in general is beyond me.

If so, you've mischaracterized my post to where it rises to the level of lying.  

If you continue to make personal attacks against me in this manner, I will do everything I can to arrange for your permaban.  The ToS is either for all or for none.  But I'm not going to let you lie about me and defame me.

Game on!

That''s not the post I am referring to.

I am retracting my statement but for only one reason -I simply cannot find the post in question.  

I am absolutely convinced you referred to them as 'insects' in a conversation we (as in you and I) had over the subject a year or two ago.  No, it wasn't in reference to MS-13 only, it was illegal immigrants in general.  But to your good fortune, the post or the thread in general was apparently deleted.  

So you make a libelous accusation against me, then retract a statement, but insist it's still true.  You just can't find it after searching.  

You are "absolutely convinced" of this.  Most people who irrationally hate others are "absolutely convinced" of all sorts of things they have no proof of.

Do I get to post things about you that I am "absolutely convinced" of that I can't show any proof for?  Is that going to be OK on the Brave New Atlas of "Talk Elections"?  Somehow, I don't think that will make for a healthy forum.  I suppose the future here will show whether or not you will be able to apply the "Let It Begin With Me" standard for constructive change.

You keep playing the martyr card by all means with every red-avatar who crosses you.  See where it gets you.  Soon every moderator will be ignoring you because you overplayed your hand.  

So we've established this.  You're no better than Fox News.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #262 on: April 04, 2020, 09:59:50 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/4 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'll be keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day. The percentages represent the daily increase from the last report.

3/26:

3/27:

3/28:

3/29:

3/30:

3/31:

4/1:

4/2:

4/3 (Yesterday):

4/4 (Today):

Yet another day in a row where the percentage increase in new cases was less than the day before (and testing is up again).  It wouldn't surprise me we're approaching the peak of new cases in the next couple days (the peak of active cases and deaths would follow a couple weeks behind), and we can start on the downward part of this curve by next week.

Bottom line is that I am confident that most business will reopen on May 1st.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #263 on: April 04, 2020, 10:04:48 PM »

Yet another day in a row where the percentage increase in new cases was less than the day before (and testing is up again).  It wouldn't surprise me we're approaching the peak of new cases in the next couple days (the peak of active cases and deaths would follow a couple weeks behind), and we can start on the downward part of this curve by next week.

I think cases will drop soon, but the lockdowns will last until after the pandemic is effectively over.

That's because that's how our public officials and our media operate. They need an excuse to control us. I've noticed the media has had a really tough time containing their glee about this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #264 on: April 04, 2020, 10:06:35 PM »

3/26:

3/27:

3/28:

3/29:

3/30:

3/31:

4/1:

4/2:

4/3 (Yesterday):

4/4 (Today):

There are plenty of unbounded functions of new cases that satisfy these requirements.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: April 04, 2020, 10:08:07 PM »

I think cases will drop soon, but the lockdowns will last until after the pandemic is effectively over.

That's because that's how our public officials and our media operate. They need an excuse to control us. I've noticed the media has had a really tough time containing their glee about this.

I know you will disagree, but I'm really thankful we have a president like Trump during this because he will be way more eager to reopen society than the average president would be.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #266 on: April 04, 2020, 10:10:29 PM »

Just a dose of reality from that article:

The vaccine, which was tested on mice by researchers at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, generated the antibodies in quantities thought to be enough to “neutralise” the virus within two weeks of injection.

The study’s authors are now set to apply to the US Food and Drug Administration for investigational new drug approval ahead of phase one human clinical trials planned to start in the next few months.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: April 04, 2020, 10:11:39 PM »

I know you will disagree, but I'm really thankful we have a president like Trump during this because he will be way more eager to reopen society than the average president would be.

Trump and most of the governors (regardless of party) have almost all been terrible during this crisis.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #268 on: April 04, 2020, 10:13:17 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2020, 10:43:44 PM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

Yes, it is good, and, yes, many of these folks are lying about what they said two (2) months ago.

I feel for the makers of that youtube.  I've had the experience of calling out people who've told falsehoods and can't apologize for that.

Fuzzy Bear, I haven't forgotten how you joined Trump's cause in dehumanizing (illegal) immigrants by calling them 'insects', the last time we had that discussion.

And I'll make sure no one else does either.    

Quote that.

Game on.

Do you mean THIS post?

This post is false.  Trump said this in a discussion about MS13.  Can always count on Democrats to lie.  

Here's the actual statement in context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v2FdQQIn3U

I don't understand.  You all have a thousand very legit reasons to hate on Trump, why give his supporters ammo by making sh**t up?  YOU'RE NOT HELPING!

Whenever I see a post like this and I wonder why my TV isn't blowing up with this "latest statement" from Trumpy, the Ethnic Cleanser, and when I notice that the comments on that tweet are from 2018, I always smell an attempt at Echo Chamber Narrative Maintenance.

If Trump were talking about a whole group of people as vermin, I'd be very concerned.  That is, indeed, the sort of language that ought to concern anyone, and concern them enough to stop and reevaluate their position and intended future support of such a person.  But he's talking about MS-13 and he is absolutely right about that group.  And before anyone gets high and mighty, folks here have spoken of White Nationalist Groups with the same sort of language.  (And rightly so, I might add.)  MS-13 is, indeed, a plague on America, and a plague whose solution lies in the tightening of immigration laws and border security and in ending the anti-American practice of Sanctuary Cities.  Trump is right about those issues.  Why it is impossible for people to concede Trump is right on those matters while opposing him in general is beyond me.

If so, you've mischaracterized my post to where it rises to the level of lying.  

If you continue to make personal attacks against me in this manner, I will do everything I can to arrange for your permaban.  The ToS is either for all or for none.  But I'm not going to let you lie about me and defame me.

Game on!

That''s not the post I am referring to.

I am retracting my statement but for only one reason -I simply cannot find the post in question.  

I am absolutely convinced you referred to them as 'insects' in a conversation we (as in you and I) had over the subject a year or two ago.  No, it wasn't in reference to MS-13 only, it was illegal immigrants in general.  But to your good fortune, the post or the thread in general was apparently deleted.  

So you make a libelous accusation against me, then retract a statement, but insist it's still true.  You just can't find it after searching.  

You are "absolutely convinced" of this.  Most people who irrationally hate others are "absolutely convinced" of all sorts of things they have no proof of.

Do I get to post things about you that I am "absolutely convinced" of that I can't show any proof for?  Is that going to be OK on the Brave New Atlas of "Talk Elections"?  Somehow, I don't think that will make for a healthy forum.  I suppose the future here will show whether or not you will be able to apply the "Let It Begin With Me" standard for constructive change.

You keep playing the martyr card by all means with every red-avatar who crosses you.  See where it gets you.  Soon every moderator will be ignoring you because you overplayed your hand.  

So we've established this.  You're no better than Fox News.

I will not apologize for making a statement I do not believe to be false.  And it is ironic that you are demanding that I do so when the man you voted into the White House does the same or worse.  

And by the way, quit trying to derail this thread like you have so many others.  
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #269 on: April 04, 2020, 10:15:04 PM »

Trump and most of the governors (regardless of party) have almost all been terrible during this crisis.

I don't disagree with that; I will say that it's easy for us to criticize, but a lot harder to make decisions during a crisis.  I disagree with how far we have gone (over 40 governors of both parties have issued arguably unconstitutional lockdowns) and think we could have explored alternative strategies, but this is not an easy time for any of our leaders.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #270 on: April 04, 2020, 10:17:25 PM »

The good news is, if you continue to make this claim every week, one of these times you'll be right. Until then it's a matter of minimizing embarrassment when you're wrong.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: April 04, 2020, 10:25:55 PM »

I don't disagree with that; I will say that it's easy for us to criticize, but a lot harder to make decisions during a crisis.  I disagree with how far we have gone (over 40 governors of both parties have issued arguably unconstitutional lockdowns) and think we could have explored alternative strategies, but this is not an easy time for any of our leaders.

The consensus at this point is that the lockdowns need to end.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #272 on: April 04, 2020, 10:28:11 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2020, 10:59:16 PM by Meclazine »

OK,

Growth in the US: the reported rate of 'New' and 'Active' cases of Corona-virus has increased every day for 29 days straight.

Remember that this graph is not New Cases. This graph is actual 'growth' in Active Cases.

For example, new cases in the USA today was actually over 34,000. Percentage of people infected is less than 0.1% of the population in the USA.

As Spain and Italy report more recoveries in line with new cases from 2 weeks ago, their Active case curve will start to drop further. Both countries are seeing a fall in mortality which will hopefully translate into an equivalent increase in recoveries of Active Cases over the next week.

The deaths from COVID-19 peaked in Italy on March 27 after peak growth in Active Cases on March 21.

France now has the highest growth rate in Europe. UK not far behind, but the numbers on the weekend are always subdued. The 18,000 new cases in France have been backdated across the previous fortnight.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #273 on: April 04, 2020, 10:29:11 PM »

South Dakota state representative dies from coronavirus, first sitting U.S. lawmaker to die after testing positive for COVID-19

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-south-dakota-state-representative-bob-glanzer-dead-20200404-43tkdggt3zakfj26i7zoczghnu-story.html
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #274 on: April 04, 2020, 10:33:53 PM »

Re: testing.

I've said it many times, but US has more and better targeted (better Doctors?) testing that most Western Countries. If you don't believe me, listen to Nate Silver >>>

"Our testing is better than much of Europe, and we're picking up a higher share of infections than they are."

The problem is we needed to be like South Korea to avoid the 2nd Great Depression. We failed and the cat is out the bag. We are screwed no matter we do. We either stay shut down for another couple months and go into a depression or we open up the country and end up having to shut it down again or see people dying in hospital hallways and parking lots.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies