DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:18:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 272083 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3950 on: January 12, 2021, 11:57:45 AM »

There have been telling silences from some blue avatars, including at least one I respected. Not counting the consistent anti-Trumpers or the ones who are defending Trump and his mob. This is quite disturbing, personally.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3951 on: January 12, 2021, 12:00:42 PM »

Rep. Brad Schneider tests positive for COVID:

Is there a way to punish these Republicans?  Many of them are in safe districts so they won’t be voted out.  Can they be removed from any duties or anything?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3952 on: January 12, 2021, 12:03:25 PM »

The entire Republican Party is a national security threat and needs dissolved.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3953 on: January 12, 2021, 12:06:17 PM »

VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3954 on: January 12, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3955 on: January 12, 2021, 12:45:54 PM »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/01/12/poll-while-most-americans-blame-trump-for-capitol-attack-30-say-it-was-antifa/?sh=50e322191fcf

Poll: 30% of Americans incapable of rational thought.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3956 on: January 12, 2021, 12:59:19 PM »

He clearly has a bigger skeleton in his closet than just being gay.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3957 on: January 12, 2021, 01:08:47 PM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3958 on: January 12, 2021, 01:28:29 PM »

Just to show how close to disaster we were:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/us/capitol-police-eugene-goodman-riots-senate-chambers-trnd/index.html

(CNN) -- A US Capitol Police officer bounded up the stairs of the Capitol building, a growing mob of insurrectionists behind him. Using himself as "bait," he lured the rioters away from the entrance to the Senate chambers, where lawmakers were still debating an objection to Arizona's Electoral College vote count.

[...]

At one point, Goodman arrives at a landing and looks to a hallway to his left. A door in that hallway led to the Senate chambers, Wilson wrote in a tweet. Goodman then leads the rioters to the right, away from the Senate chambers -- and their "targets," Wilson said.

Goodman leads them into a larger hall, and backup officers arrive -- still outnumbered by rioters. Bobic stopped recording and was evacuated shortly afterward, he said.

Bobic said Goodman herded the rioters away from the Senate Chambers at 2:14 p.m. Senators were alerted that protesters had breached the Capitol building just one minute earlier, according to CNN's timeline of events from Wednesday's riot. Vice President Mike Pence wouldn't be evacuated from the Senate until 2:30 p.m.

[...]

It could have been a hostage situation or worse.

I'm unconvinced of serious malintent on the part of the rioters if they could be lured "off-course" by a single USCP officer, lol

If this was a serious attempt at insurrection or a coup, don't you think they maybe *wouldn't have followed a police officer?  or maybe done a bit more research into how the Capitol is laid out?  Floor plans showing the location of the House and Senate chambers are publicly available, lol
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3959 on: January 12, 2021, 01:36:29 PM »

DOJ & FBI will (finally) hold a briefing on the Capitol attack at 3pm EST today.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3960 on: January 12, 2021, 02:26:53 PM »

The GOP will move back towards tacitly approving Trump's actions. They just want their next candidate to be successful in their eventual soft coup.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #3961 on: January 12, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »

Back on the 8th, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) wrote an open letter asking Pence to removed Trump: https://www.elca.org/News-and-Events/8086

Do we know of any other churches or other religious organizations/authorities who have commented on this?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3962 on: January 12, 2021, 02:38:04 PM »

I don't mean this in a vindictive way, although I understand how it might seem like that, but has anyone noticed that Trump supporters are really trashy? Even Trump himself seems to have noticed it, as he reportedly expressed disgust on aesthetic grounds over how “low class” his supporters looked. But it is about behavior as well as appearance. In my view if you really love Trump, and you want to represent him, you have the obligation to look good and carry yourself well, since your behavior reflects on those of Trump supporters as a whole.

This really isn't the case, as much as rich elites would like it to be so.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3963 on: January 12, 2021, 02:42:36 PM »

I don't mean this in a vindictive way, although I understand how it might seem like that, but has anyone noticed that Trump supporters are really trashy? Even Trump himself seems to have noticed it, as he reportedly expressed disgust on aesthetic grounds over how “low class” his supporters looked. But it is about behavior as well as appearance. In my view if you really love Trump, and you want to represent him, you have the obligation to look good and carry yourself well, since your behavior reflects on those of Trump supporters as a whole.

His supporters may have looked "low-class," but I have the feeling the median income of the mob was probably higher than the national median simply because they could afford to be off work right after the holidays, the crowd was overwhelmingly white, and the anecdotes we have from the people who were arrested show they weren't exactly unemployed or working in the service industry.
Motorcity

« Reply #3964 on: January 12, 2021, 02:45:35 PM »

His supporters may have looked "low-class," but I have the feeling the median income of the mob was probably higher than the national median simply because they could afford to be off work right after the holidays and the crowd was overwhelmingly white.
Most were lower middle class and blue collar.

You don't go to college and get a white collar job only to throw it away by joining a riot.

Also, this is slow time for a lot of places. My job gives me 12 personal/sick days a year so if I wanted to attend the rally in Washington, that doesn't make me privilaged
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3965 on: January 12, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »

Trump apparently admitted to McCarthy that he's partly responsible:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-trump-admits-to-house-gop-leader-kevin-mccarthy-that-hes-partly-to-blame-for-violence-at-u-s-capitol/
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3966 on: January 12, 2021, 02:58:43 PM »

Don't let their appearances fool you
These guys were Former Military, Lawyers, Firefighters, Cops, GOP politicians and 1 of them was even the son of a NY supreme court Justice

They may dress like they are low class but lets me be very clear about this I know coworkers who really are lower Middle class Trump supporters and not a single one of them can afford to suddenly go fly to DC just to watch Trump give an awful speech at a rally lol  

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3967 on: January 12, 2021, 03:05:38 PM »

His supporters may have looked "low-class," but I have the feeling the median income of the mob was probably higher than the national median simply because they could afford to be off work right after the holidays and the crowd was overwhelmingly white.

You don't go to college and get a white collar job only to throw it away by joining a riot.

Also, this is slow time for a lot of places. My job gives me 12 personal/sick days a year so if I wanted to attend the rally in Washington, that doesn't make me privilaged

First of all, these people were almost all white (making them better off than average to start with), and most of them were not from the DC area, meaning they not only could afford to, but were willing to spend money to travel for political reasons. Some of them were staying at places like the Willard Hotel, ffs. No, most of these were "normal" people with jobs/businesses and families who lead "respectable" lives. That is one of the scariest things.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3968 on: January 12, 2021, 03:05:39 PM »

Back on the 8th, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) wrote an open letter asking Pence to removed Trump: https://www.elca.org/News-and-Events/8086

Do we know of any other churches or other religious organizations/authorities who have commented on this?

I know the Unitarian Universalist Association has, because of course they have.
Motorcity

« Reply #3969 on: January 12, 2021, 03:11:14 PM »

First of all, these people were almost all white (making them better off than average to start with), and most of them were not from the DC area, meaning they not only could afford to, but were willing to spend money to travel for political reasons. Some of them were staying at places like the Willard Hotel, ffs. No, most of these were "normal" people with jobs/businesses and families who lead "respectable" lives. That is one of the scariest things.
Buying gas to travel to Washington, DC isn't a rich person thing. Even lower middle class folks can go on vacation once a year. Bus tickets aren't expensive either

Also, many went as groups and rented vans/buses.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #3970 on: January 12, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »

If anyone's interested, Trump's speaking now
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3971 on: January 12, 2021, 03:27:11 PM »

One thought just popped up in my mind: the riot has been confirmed as a coronavirus superspreader event.

This means that some rioters who are still at large will be developing symptoms around now.

Take this to its conclusion and this means in the coming days, there will be arrests of people in hospital, coughing their lungs out.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3972 on: January 12, 2021, 03:36:38 PM »

Or perhaps a smaller skeleton. 🤷‍♂️
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3973 on: January 12, 2021, 03:37:13 PM »

If anyone's interested, Trump's speaking now

No-one's interested Trump.  Thanks.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3974 on: January 12, 2021, 03:57:47 PM »

I'd be willing to bet money that McCarthy made that up in order to appease the moderates.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies