DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:39:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40674 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: February 01, 2021, 12:37:39 AM »

Any actual news on the progression of this bill?

Not since Carper introduced the Senate companion to Norton's House bill, & probably not for at least another ~2 months, given that the COVID relief reconciliation package will be taking up all of the oxygen & legislative focus in the meantime.

By the time it sees the floor we will have lost the majority.

Mark my words. We will not get either statehood this year.

I could reverse jinx it a million times, offer all the bets in the world - it’s clear this isn’t a priority for leadership. If only Dem leadership was a little more ruthless - they could take a thing or two from the con artists in GOP leadership

Beyond parody.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #426 on: February 01, 2021, 05:18:07 AM »

Not since Carper introduced the Senate companion to Norton's House bill, & probably not for at least another ~2 months, given that the COVID relief reconciliation package will be taking up all of the oxygen & legislative focus in the meantime.

I could reverse jinx it a million times, offer all the bets in the world - it’s clear this isn’t a priority for leadership. If only Dem leadership was a little more ruthless - they could take a thing or two from the con artists in GOP leadership

you are literally always wrong.

Not always.

As I’ve said a million times. I called JK3 loss before a single poll showed him down. Which wasn’t exactly a take I was glad to report but I call it how I see it
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2021, 04:40:05 PM by MillennialMarkey »

Not always.

As I’ve said a million times. I called JK3 loss before a single poll showed him down. Which wasn’t exactly a take I was glad to report but I call it how I see it

It's irrelevant if you were right once, because you've been "100% confident" every time you were wrong as well. Stop claiming certainty when you're just guessing and going with your feelings.

Well whether it happens or not might not be totally certain but how much of a priority it is clearly is.

They should be acting with the urgency the GOP had with ACB in October
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2021, 11:11:00 AM »

Not always.

After you had initially said that JKIII would win. So, y'know, still "literally always wrong."

It's irrelevant if you were right once, because you've been "100% confident" every time you were wrong as well. Stop claiming certainty when you're just guessing and going with your feelings.

Well whether it happens or not might not be totally certain but how much of a priority it is clearly is.

They should be accepting with the urgency the GOP had with ACB in October

So you just completely ignored my pointing out to you the timing particulars of the reconciliation process required to implement the COVID stimulus package? It's cool that you did (I mean, it's not, but whatever), but just be honest about it instead of inevitably dredging up the same incorrect talking point over & over & over again.

Not to mention, whether you like it or not, the COVID stimulus package is everybody's highest priority right now. Even Mayor Bowser said a statehood bill only needs to be on Biden's desk within the first 100 days. Given that the reconciliation process will be complete by the end of March, that leaves literally the entire month of April to pass a statehood bill. But sure, nOt A pRiOrItY, even for the people whom are infinitely more dependent on the prospect of statehood than you.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2021, 11:49:09 AM »

JFK III loss can be blamed on lack of canvassing, NE Rs and inc are far more insulated from the natl environment than in other states look at Susan Collins

Once Covid hit, whom Markey was trailing in polls, like Sununu, Collins and Phil Scott, they rebounded in polls. So did Daines against Bullock and Marshall against Bollier. We are seeing the same thing with Charlie Baker in MA

These states have far more females as minority groups than black and brown and voted for inc

A suffolk poll before Covid hit was Markey down by 7 to JFK III, I put the poll in
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »

I do wonder if the VA/MD senators/congressmen demand that along with DC statehood passing a commuter tax is not allowed( and that would pretty clearly be interstate commerce and easily regulatable by congress)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2021, 12:24:34 PM »

I do wonder if the VA/MD senators/congressmen demand that along with DC statehood passing a commuter tax is not allowed( and that would pretty clearly be interstate commerce and easily regulatable by congress)

Warner, Kaine, Cardin, & Van Hollen have all already thrown their support behind statehood without asking for such a guarantee, so backtracking in exchange for a commuter tax ban would be very unlikely to happen at this point.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2021, 04:46:11 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2021, 05:11:24 AM by MillennialMarkey »

Not always.

After you had initially said that JKIII would win. So, y'know, still "literally always wrong."

They should be accepting with the urgency the GOP had with ACB in October

So you just completely ignored my pointing out to you the timing particulars of the reconciliation process required to implement the COVID stimulus package? It's cool that you did (I mean, it's not, but whatever), but just be honest about it instead of inevitably dredging up the same incorrect talking point over & over & over again.

Not to mention, whether you like it or not, the COVID stimulus package is everybody's highest priority right now. Even Mayor Bowser said a statehood bill only needs to be on Biden's desk within the first 100 days. Given that the reconciliation process will be complete by the end of March, that leaves literally the entire month of April to pass a statehood bill. But sure, nOt A pRiOrItY, even for the people whom are infinitely more dependent on the prospect of statehood than you.

I didn’t mean to ignore it. I thought I responded to it - I was genuinely surprised it took such an insane & tedious amount of votes and legislative manuerving just to pass a bill. It just further pushes the logic for the fillibuster to go away - it shouldn’t take dozens and dozens of produced votes that take days just to pass something majorities of both houses support.

Anyway - Covid relief is the priority, YES. However with that being said; why can’t they walk and chew gum? I mean I’m sure I’ll be accused of over simplying it - but while they’re filing a joint budget resolution and going through all the hoola hoops for reconciliation; can’t Schumer also sit Manchin & Sinema down, offer them anything in exchange voting for the “constitutional option” for DC (PR too would be nice) Statehood.

If I remember correctly the skinny repeal bill (McCains Thumbs down moment) was written at lunch time. Released for viewing around 10pm and the final vote on the bill was around 1:15am.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #433 on: February 03, 2021, 03:15:56 AM »

It would violate the requirement that laws be uniform if it only applied to the Douglas Commonwealth and not any other States.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2021, 08:15:41 AM »

No real surprise but Maggie Hassan has co-sponsored the bill for DC statehood now, bringing the total number of co-sponsors up to 40.

Democrats who have not co-sponsored the 2021 bill yet are Shaheen, Tester, Hickenlooper, Lujan, Warnock, Ossoff, Kelly, King, Sinema, Manchin
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #435 on: February 03, 2021, 08:21:31 AM »

The D's don't have the votes to get DC statehood past the Filibuster, that's why the organizing resolution is taking so long, the Rs know the Ds want to ram thru statehood

I am supportive of Statehood, but it will be Fillibustered
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #436 on: February 03, 2021, 10:11:01 AM »

The D's don't have the votes to get DC statehood past the Filibuster, that's why the organizing resolution is taking so long, the Rs know the Ds want to ram thru statehood

I am supportive of Statehood, but it will be Fillibustered

Manchin and Sinema are my #1 and #2 favorite Senators.

But they’d be fools and I mean FOOLS to not make an exception for statehood. It’ll keep them in the majority for AT LEAST 2 more years. And the more they get done the better there re-election chances are
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #437 on: February 03, 2021, 07:36:36 PM »

Can we stop filling this thread with Millennial Malarkey's garbage please? Pretty clear he's just posting for bait at this point and you're all falling for it.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #438 on: February 26, 2021, 10:28:39 AM »

Well the important thing is Mitch McConnell didn't get his feelings hurt
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #439 on: February 26, 2021, 12:09:17 PM »

Not a surprise but Alex Padilla has brought the total number of sponsors to 41

Shaheen, Kelly, Sinema, Manchin, Looper, Tester, Warnock, Ossoff, and Lujan have not co-sponsored DC statehood bill yet. However, with the exception of Sinema and Manchin, everyone has indicated they’d vote yea on DC statehood publicly.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #440 on: February 26, 2021, 12:12:37 PM »

God you are insufferable. You know there are DC statehood bills in both Houses as we speak.

Lol if there are bills in both houses wasn’t the question

So then you know it's not dead. The House is holding hearings next month. There is a 100% chance this passes by the summer, unless Democrats somehow lose control of one of the houses by deaths/resignations.

As we've already directly told you, just because Schumer isn't giving you personal daily updates on something doesn't mean it's randomly off the table.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #441 on: February 26, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »

The Democrats are f**king clowns. I don’t get why this forum defends them so much.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #442 on: February 26, 2021, 12:35:32 PM »

The Democrats are f**king clowns. I don’t get why this forum defends them so much.

All the winning probably has something to do with it. Y'know, the House; the presidency & the vice presidency; the Senate; the $1.9T stimulus package polling at +40 approval that wouldn't be possible without the Democratic trifecta; the incoming jobs, infrastructure, & climate change package that wouldn't be possible without the Democratic trifecta; etc.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: February 26, 2021, 12:50:31 PM »

All the winning probably has something to do with it. Y'know, the House; the presidency & the vice presidency; the Senate; the $1.9T stimulus package polling at +40 approval that wouldn't be possible without the Democratic trifecta; the incoming jobs, infrastructure, & climate change package that wouldn't be possible without the Democratic trifecta; etc.

Stimulus is popular the IRS said due to 55 M people filing taxes so early they due to Seniors filing taxes, and normally don't, they didn't get their 600, tax REFUNDS will be DELAYED
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #444 on: February 26, 2021, 12:54:17 PM »

Barely winning the presidency against the worst president in American history and least popular incumbent president in modern American history must have taken a lot of skill. Why are you even bringing up the House? The Democrat’s showing in the House elections was pitiful, and they only managed to barely win the Senate due to Trump’s shenanigans after the election and McConnell blundering the stimulus checks.

The Democrats won’t do nearly as much as you think they will. Just look at how disappointing the $15 minimum wage fight ended up being. They’ll do some virtue signaling here and there, and just hope that branding the GOP as the party of Q will let them win the midterms
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #445 on: February 26, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »

If they would of told Seniors or people on Unemployment to file taxes and you will get your refunds faster like the people that normally worked had no problem getting their 600 seniors would of filed taxes, in 2020 instead of 2021. They told unemployed and seniors do nothing you will get your stimulus

But, the 1200 was quickly given to everyone in April, but Rs aren't gonna win in 2022 the seats they thought they would no ways, Trump Insurrectionists hurt Rs chances and Rs are back down to George Floyd numbers with WC females and Minorities

Yes Tim Ryan and Jackson and Fetterman and Kelly and even Sifton with the Biden boom Economy next yr will dissolve Filibuster in 2023, anyways

WC females that voted for Canter and Paul Ryan will vote for our Ds
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #446 on: February 26, 2021, 03:11:00 PM »

You can’t be serious. It took a meltdown by the GOP to win the Senate. The House was a complete abortion. They should’ve won a majority large enough to last 4-6 years. Instead it’s small enough where there’s virtually no chance of saving it. And the Presidency - I mean the fact it was as close as it was when (IMO) Biden was a great canidate and Trump was literally the worst President of all-time. So Dems get no credit for “winning” except maybe Georgia.

• They’re blundering the Covid relief bill. By taking forever to pass it and bickering back & forth - to the point where voters are going to feel more “finally” instead of thankful and happy.

• It seems likely an infrastructure bill might on the horizon but who knows how watered down it’ll be

• Statehood which would have been HUGE to help even out the structural unfairness (at least a little)

• The voting rights bill isn’t going to be passed.

• No minimum wage hike is going to happen.

• A public option won’t happen.

So Id have to say they’ve been a MAJOR letdown so far
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #447 on: February 26, 2021, 03:14:11 PM »

How is this dead now? Last time I heard Manchin being asked, he said to be open to the idea. Or is the damn filibuster the problem? I guess they could nuke the filibuster for state admissions then, even if complete removal of the filibuster can't get done.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2021, 03:17:19 PM »

Good God.
The cycle with President Biden, Congress, the new Senate 50-50 rules, etc etc ... JUST STARTED.
Some people here are expecting immediate miracles on all fronts.
Calm down.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #449 on: February 26, 2021, 03:17:50 PM »

You can’t be serious. It took a meltdown by the GOP to win the Senate. The House was a complete abortion. They should’ve won a majority large enough to last 4-6 years. Instead it’s small enough where there’s virtually no chance of saving it. And the Presidency - I mean the fact it was as close as it was when (IMO) Biden was a great canidate and Trump was literally the worst President of all-time. So Dems get no credit for “winning” except maybe Georgia.

• They’re blundering the Covid relief bill. By taking forever to pass it and bickering back & forth - to the point where voters are going to feel more “finally” instead of thankful and happy.

• It seems likely an infrastructure bill might on the horizon but who knows how watered down it’ll be

• Statehood which would have been HUGE to help even out the structural unfairness (at least a little)

• The voting rights bill isn’t going to be passed.

• No minimum wage hike is going to happen.

• A public option won’t happen.

So Id have to say they’ve been a MAJOR letdown so far
Hard to square this with your vocal love of politicians who make protecting procedural hurdles to doing anything their priority.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies