DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:08:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 39688 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: March 24, 2021, 06:38:24 AM »

“No taxation without representation”
Not the same thing as DC statehood.

Yeah, this is the most dishonest aspect of Democrats' whole "DC statehood" charade.

Congress could pass legislation allowing D.C. to have voting representation in the House and Senate without revoking Congressional control over the District.  Such control is necessary to ensure the Federal government doesn't have to operate under the undue influence of any state, which is a noble enough reason to oppose D.C. statehood on its merits.

As I have said before:

Ok, then why aren't Republicans offering DC 2 Senators and a House Rep with genuine voting rights? (or better yet, a constitutional amendment for that purpose; though both routes could be done simultaneously)

As for the argument, somehow every federal country in the world aside from the US (and Australia) manages to have their seat of government as part of one state without any issues, from Buenos Aires city in Argentina to Ottawa in Canada to Land Berlin in Germany.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #526 on: March 24, 2021, 06:42:17 AM »

And 0 senators. The taxpaying American citizens who live in DC (as is the case in any other part of America) deserve to have their interests represented in both Houses of Congress, and anything less than that is a non-starter. We should not have any second class citizens.

This is another funny thing about this debate.  Many Democrats (including this particular red avatar) will talk out of both sides of their head about how the Senate is an undemocratic body that flagrantly violates the "one man, one vote" principle while simultaneously arguing that a small, unpopulated exclave should be thrown into the mix to only further exacerbate this inequality.   

Having one underpopulated state counteract another only exacerbates the inequality in the academic sense (i.e. there are now 50 states whose residents effectively have more power in the Senate than Californian voters as opposed to 49), but I suspect that that's not a priority for most people and it's not even really a concern for me, to be honest. The Senate's unique place in Article Five means that it might be impossible to reform even with a constitutional amendment, so I suspect it's sticking around until the proletarian revolution comes to pass, and consequently there will always be population imbalances between states. Like I said, this makes the institution undemocratic in a theoretical sense, but if there's nothing to be done about it short of revolution there's no point even really talking about it. The undemocratic aspects of the Senate I am more concerned about is A. that many Americans don't have a say in it at all and B. that California and New York are functionally Democratic vote sinks which make it very hard for Democratic voters to have their voices heard in the Senate. DC statehood would lessen both of those issues, so I support it.

If I am not mistaken, while the apportionment of the Senate is "set in stone and perpetuity"; its functions are not.

So in theory a "standard" constitutional amendment would be enough to turn the Senate into an American version of the House of Lords (or other similar useless upper chambers like say, the Canadian Senate), a completely powerless institution that can be easily overruled by the House.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #527 on: March 24, 2021, 09:58:44 AM »

Trump would have won this state by roughly 10,000 votes in 2020. Who would’ve thought WV and DC would be our next swing states!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #528 on: March 24, 2021, 10:05:02 AM »

Trump would have won this state by roughly 10,000 votes in 2020. Who would’ve thought WV and DC would be our next swing states!

That would be wild. I might actually be OK with this. It would at least slightly deal with our problem with the senate being slightly gerrymandered against Democrats. Still probably not good enough.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #529 on: March 24, 2021, 11:15:30 AM »

Manchin will fall in line, I'm not worried about this.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #530 on: March 24, 2021, 02:03:04 PM »

"Solving" the taxation without representation issue by making DC a state is like "solving" it by exempting DC residents from federal taxation and keeping the status quo. Highly cynical, and it doesn't even have the benefit of being cute like the tax exemption.

For that matter, it's like "solving" school shootings by closing down schools.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #531 on: March 24, 2021, 02:05:45 PM »

"Solving" the taxation without representation issue by making DC a state is like "solving" it by exempting DC residents from federal taxation and keeping the status quo. Highly cynical, and it doesn't even have the benefit of being cute like the tax exemption.

Again, there might be measures short of statehood that could solve the taxation without representation issue, but the GOP doesn’t actually want to negotiate a compromise on this issue, so why should the residents of DC have to wait any longer when statehood is the quickest, easiest path to representation?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #532 on: March 24, 2021, 02:07:18 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2021, 02:13:57 PM by F# F# F# F# E B »

Again, there might be measures short of statehood that could solve the taxation without representation issue, but the GOP doesn’t actually want to negotiate a compromise on this issue, so why should the residents of DC have to wait any longer when statehood is the quickest, easiest path to representation?
The easiest way to solve the problem is to exempt DC residents, a miniscule drop in the bucket in federal revenue, from federal taxation. Why not do that? Clearly, Democrats have an agenda here, too.

Funny thing is, if that actually happened (obviously it would not), DC would immediately become by far the hottest place to move to in America. People would rather have no taxation and no representation than taxation and representation.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #533 on: March 24, 2021, 02:24:24 PM »

DC voted to become a state, overwhelmingly. This isn't just some scheme we made up without consulting the Americans living there.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #534 on: March 24, 2021, 02:31:07 PM »

DC voted to become a state, overwhelmingly. This isn't just some scheme we made up without consulting the Americans living there.

The opinions of a jurisdiction's residents have never, and should never, have any constitutional validity over admission to statehood. Indirectly, through representative democracy, the opinions of the voters of the already-admitted states are the only thing that matters. Sure, a referendum provides a mandate for that jurisdiction's leaders to advocate for statehood, but if they're asking people the wrong question to begin with, it doesn't really prove anything.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #535 on: March 24, 2021, 02:44:58 PM »

So are Republicans going to support this amendment?  Because if they aren't, what is the point? The primary reason statehood via shrinking the district is being pushed is because no alternatives have enough support to pass.

The point is that the unique status of our Federal District should not be changed absent an affirmative Constitutional supermajority and ratification by the three-fourths of the several States.  This is the same way D.C. was given presidential electors.  If there isn't such a majority then pro-statehood advocates need to do a better job of winning the debate.  

They are criticizing it because Democrats will win those seats. Few, if any, Republicans are going out of their way to sympathize with the situation DC residents find themselves, representation-wise.

No, they are making the point that Democrats' sudden interest in D.C. statehood is a naked partisan power play.  Democrats cared not about "taxation without representation" when they had trifectas in 1993-95 or 2009-11, and there is little doubt Democrats' interest in this stems from the difficult math they perceive in keeping a working Senate majority long term.

Utter unadulterated bullsh**t.

Once again, I have a hard time seeing how anyone would ever pay for your representation in court lol  

Because I spot bulsh**t readily and call it out on it in plain truthful terms. I don't give a ridiculous argument from the opposing side any more respect then it's ridiculousness deserves. And because of that, I win.

Also, see my Sig. Jefferson was right , and your post is exhibit a of his point.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #536 on: March 24, 2021, 02:47:57 PM »

Hopefully Eleanor Holmes Norton will be able to cast a vote on the House floor by year's end.
tarrant

« Reply #537 on: March 24, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »

So I have an interesting possible compromise...  

If Virginia were to secede Arlington County and Alexandria back to DC, that would push Virginia back to being purplish and give the GOP a shot at their senate seats again.

Doubt they would agree, but I wish it was possible.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #538 on: March 24, 2021, 02:50:56 PM »

If Virginia were to secede Arlington County and Alexandria back to DC, that would push Virginia back to being purplish and give the GOP a shot at their senate seats again.

That is the worst proposal I have ever heard of.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #539 on: March 24, 2021, 02:57:33 PM »

The opinions of a jurisdiction's residents have never, and should never, have any constitutional validity over admission to statehood. Indirectly, through representative democracy, the opinions of the voters of the already-admitted states are the only thing that matters. Sure, a referendum provides a mandate for that jurisdiction's leaders to advocate for statehood, but if they're asking people the wrong question to begin with, it doesn't really prove anything.

It is true that according to the very sparse wording in the text of US Constitution, only Congress really matters in admitting new states.

But in practice, the opinion of the jurisdiction's residents absolutely matter.  First, every state has been required to ratify a state constitution prior to admission.  This was done in 1949 in Hawaii and 1956 in Alaska.  

And most recently, Congress has required a final referendum of the new state's residents before their Admission Act takes effect.  In the case of Alaska in 1958 and Hawaii in 1959, these referenda were held a few months after Congress passed the admission act.

In the case of possible Puerto Rico statehood, this side of things remains somewhat unresolved.
But the 2016 DC referendum approved of both statehood and the proposed state constitution by an 86%-14% margin.

Resident of DC don't just want statehood because they want a few more Democratic Senators.  They actually want self-rule.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #540 on: March 24, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »

Chill dude, it’s his 7th post in 14 years
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #541 on: March 24, 2021, 03:01:35 PM »

In what world does the state of Virginia ever agree to this?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2021, 03:09:30 PM »

It is true that according to the very sparse wording in the text of US Constitution, only Congress really matters in admitting new states.

But in practice, the opinion of the jurisdiction's residents absolutely matter.  First, every state has been required to ratify a state constitution prior to admission.  This was done in 1949 in Hawaii and 1956 in Alaska.  

And most recently, Congress has required a final referendum of the new state's residents before their Admission Act takes effect.  In the case of Alaska in 1958 and Hawaii in 1959, these referenda were held a few months after Congress passed the admission act.

In the case of possible Puerto Rico statehood, this side of things remains somewhat unresolved.
But the 2016 DC referendum approved of both statehood and the proposed state constitution by an 86%-14% margin.

I agree with most of what you said, but DC is not Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico though. DC was established to serve the States to conduct their collective business, not to serve the people who happened to take up residence within its boundaries. It is, to my mind, unreasonable to interpret this as meaning just a collection of federal buildings that cannot function to any extent on their own, rather than the city of Washington itself, which grew alongside the federal government to serve the needs of a growing country. So on this question, I don't think the opinions of DC residents matter at all.
rhg2052

Political Matrix

« Reply #543 on: March 24, 2021, 03:48:22 PM »

I agree with most of what you said, but DC is not Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico though. DC was established to serve the States to conduct their collective business, not to serve the people who happened to take up residence within its boundaries. It is, to my mind, unreasonable to interpret this as meaning just a collection of federal buildings that cannot function to any extent on their own, rather than the city of Washington itself, which grew alongside the federal government to serve the needs of a growing country. So on this question, I don't think the opinions of DC residents matter at all.

You say this as if everyone who lives in DC is just there temporarily or moved there by choice. It's a city of 700,000 people, many of whom have livelihoods that have nothing to do with the federal government and many of whom have families that have lived in DC for generations. Telling them that if they want a say in their governance, they need to uproot their lives and move somewhere else is completely anti-democratic.

The founders who wrote the Constitution did not have a good track record in making sure that every person would be represented in government, and establishing a capital city whose residents by definition do not have a voice in Congress was part of their incredibly flawed system. They were wrong to do this, and their error should be corrected as soon as possible.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #544 on: March 24, 2021, 06:25:04 PM »

That doesn't mean it's still not a terrible idea.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #545 on: March 24, 2021, 06:31:19 PM »

That doesn't mean it's still not a terrible idea.

If the people in those counties wanted to join Douglass and the rest of Virginia approved it, I would be fine with it. But neither of those things appear to even be close to true.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #546 on: March 25, 2021, 02:26:50 AM »

I hope that once this passes they have a referendum to take “Washington” out of the official name.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #547 on: March 25, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »

I hope that once this passes they have a referendum to take “Washington” out of the official name.

Even if that were within the realm of possibility (it's not), it'd probably take another Act of Congress to codify such a referendum result.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #548 on: March 25, 2021, 11:01:57 AM »

So what are the actual odds of this passing? Haven't been fully paying attention to it.
rhg2052

Political Matrix

« Reply #549 on: March 25, 2021, 11:27:02 AM »

Even if that were within the realm of possibility (it's not), it'd probably take another Act of Congress to codify such a referendum result.

Wouldn't it? Didn't Rhode Island just have a referendum to ditch "and Providence Plantations" from its official name last year?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies