Opinion of OSR? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:31:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of OSR? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of OSR?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: Opinion of OSR?  (Read 3287 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 21, 2021, 02:30:20 PM »

I'm just going to leave this here.

You're giving beep boop way too much credit. It's irrelevant whether he is well-meaning or not, he has proven to be someone who cannot think independently, process new information, or gain wisdom with age. Granted, he could probably get away with these things a lot more, as a white noise red avatar, but he fully deserves his criticism.

In addition to this very apt analysis,  there are two additional  factors that each warrant his crossing to HP status.

First, it's one thing to be an economic conservative, but they way he has decried  How  Is beleaguered "middle class" families of 3 earning up to-- I kid you not-- Nearly $400000 a year are because of the cost of living in some places like Portland or San Francisco, while  Simultaneously  Is decrying a minimum wage increase to $15 an hour because he found some statistics showing that a "sustainable" wage in some place like Tulsa yeah it's also is purportedly $17 an hour. To me this crosses the line from being Is raised  As a sheltered rich kid  Is to a decidedly unpretty sign of callousness. He oddly seems to think he gets a pass on it because he apparently believes in medicaid expansion to the States. Huh I had genuinely hoped he might grow out of this somewhat as If he had more life experiences through and after college, but hes graduated now and seems destinedTo be one of those people who were born on 3rd base and thinks they hit a triple.

The other factor  Of course being this recent crusade he has launched over a muting kurfluffle, during which he has demonstrated that he is far far more concerned with whether a poster's avatar aligns with his than whatever actual misconduct anyone committed.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 09:00:56 PM »

HP.

Not even close to being one of the worst blue avatars here, but that doesn't say much.

It often seems as if he's just espousing arguments that he doesn't really believe or put much thought into, but just says them because they're this week's Republican talking point.

And I never have much sympathy for the "I was a moderate Republican until the Democrats made me shift to the right!" excuse.

His behavior has certainly shifted. When Trump was in office and he was a 'Biden Republican' it put a bound on how far right and how partisan he was able to be. I joined the forum roughly a year ago and I remember OSR being quite moderate then. Once Trump left office he almost immediately became very disapproving of Biden and has espoused much more right wing views.

It's not that he has had an organic change in his ideology, I think it's just that lens through which he framed his politics evaporated and he then quickly developed a new lens around opposing Biden. It goes to show how fluid and self-identity based politics can be.

FTR, he made it clear he wouldn't and did not vote for Biden either.  Noted props for not voting for trump, and I don't know who he voted for in the end-a write in for Ronald Reagan would be my guess-but it would be inaccurate to say he was  Independent minded enough to be a Biden Republican.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 11:05:29 PM »

You're giving beep boop way too much credit. It's irrelevant whether he is well-meaning or not, he has proven to be someone who cannot think independently, process new information, or gain wisdom with age. Granted, he could probably get away with these things a lot more, as a white noise red avatar, but he fully deserves his criticism.

In addition to this very apt analysis,  there are two additional  factors that each warrant his crossing to HP status.

First, it's one thing to be an economic conservative, but they way he has decried  How  Is beleaguered "middle class" families of 3 earning up to-- I kid you not-- Nearly $400000 a year are because of the cost of living in some places like Portland or San Francisco, while  Simultaneously  Is decrying a minimum wage increase to $15 an hour because he found some statistics showing that a "sustainable" wage in some place like Tulsa yeah it's also is purportedly $17 an hour. To me this crosses the line from being Is raised  As a sheltered rich kid  Is to a decidedly unpretty sign of callousness. He oddly seems to think he gets a pass on it because he apparently believes in medicaid expansion to the States. Huh I had genuinely hoped he might grow out of this somewhat as If he had more life experiences through and after college, but hes graduated now and seems destinedTo be one of those people who were born on 3rd base and thinks they hit a triple.

The other factor  Of course being this recent crusade he has launched over a muting kurfluffle, during which he has demonstrated that he is far far more concerned with whether a poster's avatar aligns with his than whatever actual misconduct anyone committed.

What my family doesn’t make anywhere near 400k like you are claiming and in fact  they don’t make 150k a year either so I don’t know where you got that number from

Also I have defended red avatars on here like Blairite, S019 and others as well . I defend my buddies on here regardless of avatar color

You yourself cited investing magazines for the bizarre claim that  A family of 3 could need to earn well into the 300 K range range and still be somehow considered "upper middle class".

https://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/48113

This is why the 15 dollar min wage push is dumb, the whole nation is not California or NY , and if you look at San Fran that number is over 20 dollars !!! while in places like Tulsa County its less than 11 bucks an hour

Even taking goes very conservative looking figures as to how much typical expenses to survive are at face value, 1250 an hour is even then supposedly only a living wage if one lives alone and doesn't have a family or kids. A single parent has even one child, a livable wage is almost double that pay scale. Hell, even two parents both working with one child at 12:15 hour is insufficient for a living wage in Dallas!

Given that only a couple weeks ago you made the Preposterous claim that "upper middle class" income in this country ranges from "100k to $250k a year", I suspect if you had to live on 12.50 an hour for a couple years - - I mean really live on that amount and not know that you had an "upper middle class" (I.e. rich) Suburban Portland family you could rely on for support or to move back in with if things got tough--I suspect you might change your mind in a hurry.

https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/family-finance/articles/where-do-i-fall-in-the-american-economic-class-system#

For high earners, a three-person family needed an income between $106,827 and $373,894 to be considered upper-middle class,

https://www.thestreet.com/personal-finance/what-is-middle-class-14833259

while three-person households making between $126,000 to $188,000 were considered an upper-middle-class.

My point remains that, Assuming your family earns even close to a 150 K annually, they still earn more than 4 out of every 5 families in this country. I don't begrudge them Their success one iota. Hell, this year my family's income will actually probably hit the top 10%Of earners after many years of blood sweat and tears.

Simply put, Referencing other statements you made in that same thread where you rather naively insisted that a12.50/ hour  Is perfectly acceptable for families to survive on, even in the most economically depressed counties in this country, frankly displays more than a little shelteredness, bordering on callousness.

Unless you think your family at approaching $150k a year has money to burn, you might want to correspondingly open your Mind and your heart to what a family struggling with about 1/6 that income goes through on a daily and monthly basis. That's all.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 03:19:51 PM »

In addition to this very apt analysis,  there are two additional  factors that each warrant his crossing to HP status.

First, it's one thing to be an economic conservative, but they way he has decried  How  Is beleaguered "middle class" families of 3 earning up to-- I kid you not-- Nearly $400000 a year are because of the cost of living in some places like Portland or San Francisco, while  Simultaneously  Is decrying a minimum wage increase to $15 an hour because he found some statistics showing that a "sustainable" wage in some place like Tulsa yeah it's also is purportedly $17 an hour. To me this crosses the line from being Is raised  As a sheltered rich kid  Is to a decidedly unpretty sign of callousness. He oddly seems to think he gets a pass on it because he apparently believes in medicaid expansion to the States. Huh I had genuinely hoped he might grow out of this somewhat as If he had more life experiences through and after college, but hes graduated now and seems destinedTo be one of those people who were born on 3rd base and thinks they hit a triple.

The other factor  Of course being this recent crusade he has launched over a muting kurfluffle, during which he has demonstrated that he is far far more concerned with whether a poster's avatar aligns with his than whatever actual misconduct anyone committed.

What my family doesn’t make anywhere near 400k like you are claiming and in fact  they don’t make 150k a year either so I don’t know where you got that number from

Also I have defended red avatars on here like Blairite, S019 and others as well . I defend my buddies on here regardless of avatar color

You yourself cited investing magazines for the bizarre claim that  A family of 3 could need to earn well into the 300 K range range and still be somehow considered "upper middle class".

https://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/48113

This is why the 15 dollar min wage push is dumb, the whole nation is not California or NY , and if you look at San Fran that number is over 20 dollars !!! while in places like Tulsa County its less than 11 bucks an hour

Even taking goes very conservative looking figures as to how much typical expenses to survive are at face value, 1250 an hour is even then supposedly only a living wage if one lives alone and doesn't have a family or kids. A single parent has even one child, a livable wage is almost double that pay scale. Hell, even two parents both working with one child at 12:15 hour is insufficient for a living wage in Dallas!

Given that only a couple weeks ago you made the Preposterous claim that "upper middle class" income in this country ranges from "100k to $250k a year", I suspect if you had to live on 12.50 an hour for a couple years - - I mean really live on that amount and not know that you had an "upper middle class" (I.e. rich) Suburban Portland family you could rely on for support or to move back in with if things got tough--I suspect you might change your mind in a hurry.

https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/family-finance/articles/where-do-i-fall-in-the-american-economic-class-system#

For high earners, a three-person family needed an income between $106,827 and $373,894 to be considered upper-middle class,

https://www.thestreet.com/personal-finance/what-is-middle-class-14833259

while three-person households making between $126,000 to $188,000 were considered an upper-middle-class.

My point remains that, Assuming your family earns even close to a 150 K annually, they still earn more than 4 out of every 5 families in this country. I don't begrudge them Their success one iota. Hell, this year my family's income will actually probably hit the top 10%Of earners after many years of blood sweat and tears.

Simply put, Referencing other statements you made in that same thread where you rather naively insisted that a12.50/ hour  Is perfectly acceptable for families to survive on, even in the most economically depressed counties in this country, frankly displays more than a little shelteredness, bordering on callousness.

Unless you think your family at approaching $150k a year has money to burn, you might want to correspondingly open your Mind and your heart to what a family struggling with about 1/6 that income goes through on a daily and monthly basis. That's all.

I have admitted I was wrong to use that source and no I don’t think 300k is UMC as imo 250k+ is rich . This is a better graphic

Imo this is how I define the different percentiles :

0%-25%- Low Income
25%-45%- Lower Middle Class
45%-75% - Middle Class
75%-95% - Upper Middle Class
95%+ : Wealthy

https://dqydj.com/household-income-percentile-calculator/

I also said my opinion on the minimum wage is it should be decided state by state and not at the federal level. I am also open to Josh Hawley’s proposal of supporting the 15 dollar wage if it only applies to businesses that have revenue of  1 billion dollars  or more .

https://www.hawley.senate.gov/hawley-announces-legislation-require-15-minimum-wage-billion-dollar-corporations

Lastly while you may think I’m a Republican only for economic issues , honestly at this point I dislike the democrats views on social/cultural issues just as much as their views on economic issues

I will note that you are contradicting yourself in that the top 5% of income earners are at 270K or 273K depending on you this year or last. By your own definition that is wealthy.

Furthermore, if you Truly want to make families like  Yours and mine Is earning nearly 150 K and around 2:00 K respectively as "middle class", that requires beating that "upper" modifier past the point of having any true meaning.

Applying a universal minimum wage on a state by state basis is completely unhelpful as it just encourages a race to the bottom.

Beyond policy and statistics, I'm sorry to see you completely failed at attempting any response  even trying to encapsulate the human aspect of being the working poor in America today.. Very sad
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 06:40:56 PM »

400k isn't even middle-class for a family, it's poor. Literally nobody I know earns less than 500 MFJ. How do you live on less?

We send the kids out to collect alms in the streets. They take care to appear disfigured in order to appear more pitiful.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies