Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:16:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 83
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 106844 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: March 19, 2021, 04:04:11 PM »

Becerra likely could have been confirmed eventually without Collins, but she is on the moderate side of the party given that she's voting for a lot of the more controversial nominees.

Collins is a "moderate" in much the same way that Joe Manchin is a DINO or Bob Casey is pro-life.  The only Republican Senator you could argue is even remotely moderate is Murkowski and even that is a bit of a stretch.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #901 on: March 19, 2021, 04:12:13 PM »

Well I see her and Murkowski as moderates as well as Manchin.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #902 on: March 19, 2021, 04:20:05 PM »

Well I see her and Murkowski as moderates as well as Manchin.

Manchin is a moderate.  Murkowski is arguably one as well, albeit on the more conservative side as far as moderates go.  Collins is simply a conservative partisan hack masquerading as a moderate.  She voted to put a sex predator who attempted to rape a woman on the Supreme Court and supported Donald Trump because that was the Republican line.  She's every bit as big a right-wing partisan hack as Ted Cruz or Mitch McConnell, she's just somewhat constrained at times by the fact that she's from Maine and thus has to maintain the illusion in order to keep getting reelected.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #903 on: March 19, 2021, 04:21:47 PM »

Manchin also voted for Kavanaugh.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #904 on: March 19, 2021, 04:21:56 PM »

I hope you're happy with this annoying fake moderate, ME voters.

She just literally saved Becerra dude (with Hirono out Dems didn't have the votes on their own). She voted for Haaland as well. She's anything but the partisan warrior that Atlas makes her out to be.

No? Becerra’s confirmation was guaranteed the moment Manchin endorsed him. In a scenario where Collins is a no and Hirono is still out for the week, Schumer would have just delayed Becerra’s vote until Monday, and Harris would have broke the tie. Collins would have opposed him if she thought she could sink Becerra’s nomination for good...I have no doubt about that.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #905 on: March 20, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »

When will Biden select a budget replacement candidate ?

When will the Senate read on the Wikipedia page that Biden has selected Eric Lander 2 months ago already for Science and announce a hearing ?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #906 on: March 20, 2021, 08:59:24 AM »

When will the Senate read on the Wikipedia page that Biden has selected Eric Lander 2 months ago already for Science and announce a hearing ?

If he’s smart, he’ll just make Young acting OBM director and keep annually rotating a series of acting OBM directors to avoid wasting legislative days.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #907 on: March 20, 2021, 01:58:57 PM »

Not 'til Shalanda Young has been confirmed as the Deputy (&, by extension, the Acting) OMB Director.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #908 on: March 22, 2021, 03:10:01 PM »

Walsh confirmation vote for Minister of Labour set for 17:30 today.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #909 on: March 22, 2021, 05:39:48 PM »

Now that we're done with the Cabinet secretaries, this goes out to anybody who spent the last 2+ months complaining that the confirmation process wasn't moving along fast enough:

The Senate will be busy this week, starting today with a vote to confirm Marty Walsh as Labor secretary. As we noted above, this will fill out the roster of President Joe Biden's Cabinet secretaries. This Senate got through confirmations faster than either the Obama or Trump administrations.

This comes despite the Democrats not taking over the Senate until mid-January following their upset victories in Georgia, the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol and former President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial. The Senate was not officially organized until Feb. 4.

South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #910 on: March 22, 2021, 06:28:42 PM »

That's not what it's called.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #911 on: March 22, 2021, 07:01:09 PM »

That's not what it's called.

Yeah, we've told him this before:

Merrick Garland was just confirmed as Justice Minister.

It's called Attorney General.

I know.

But I call the office Justice Minister.

Ah, so you're just being wrong on-purpose. Thank you for so readily conceding that.

No.

I like to call the office like it is called in most countries: Minister for Justice.

Then it's also Prime Minister Merkel and Prime Minister Kurz. Chancellor only exists in Switzerland as a different role and on universities. That's a ridiculous argument.

For some reason, he just doesn't care about how wrong he looks or he's being purposely ignorant. Either way, no bueno.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #912 on: March 22, 2021, 08:25:16 PM »

Walsh confirmed 68-29:

NAYs ---29
Barrasso (R-WY)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Cotton (R-AR)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lummis (R-WY)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Paul (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Sasse (R-NE)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 3
Blackburn (R-TN)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Toomey (R-PA)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #913 on: March 22, 2021, 08:56:42 PM »

I mean the guy was an astronaut...

If he can get more funding for telescopes I'm good with it.

Bill Nelson got voted from office in the midst of dementia rumors and a campaign that did nothing to demonstrate that they were false. Maybe he has what it takes to keep the patronage machine rolling, but that's a best-case scenario. Many of us have higher aspirations for NASA, however unrealistic they have proven.

lol is this really a thing? Because as somebody who actually saw the guy in-person multiple times since that campaign (both during it & at UF following his having left office), there was nothing that indicated that's the case.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #914 on: March 22, 2021, 09:00:51 PM »

I mean the guy was an astronaut...

If he can get more funding for telescopes I'm good with it.

Bill Nelson got voted from office in the midst of dementia rumors and a campaign that did nothing to demonstrate that they were false. Maybe he has what it takes to keep the patronage machine rolling, but that's a best-case scenario. Many of us have higher aspirations for NASA, however unrealistic they have proven.

Well you and I may have different aspirations. I want more telescopes, not more rovers and manned missions.

I don't care about rumors. If he develops dementia he can resign.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #915 on: March 22, 2021, 09:01:08 PM »

White House withdraws deputy Interior secretary amid pushback from Murkowski
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #916 on: March 23, 2021, 12:01:59 AM »

What about Manchin?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #917 on: March 23, 2021, 07:01:20 AM »

Manchin probably signaled privately that he was gonna vote no or wanted her nomination pulled as a concession for voting to confirm someone more important like Kahl, Gupta, or Dr. Murthy.  My guess would be Kahl since apparently Manchin had a call about his nomination last night.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #918 on: March 23, 2021, 09:27:02 AM »

We're going to go nowhere on climate change, if we have to keep capitulating to "pro-energy" (aka pro-fossil fuel industry) Senators. They still have too much of a grip on climate policy.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #919 on: March 23, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »

We're going to go nowhere on climate change, if we have to keep capitulating to "pro-energy" (aka pro-fossil fuel industry) Senators. They still have too much of a grip on climate policy.

These senators represent the 6.7 million Americans who work in the energy sector
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #920 on: March 23, 2021, 09:51:57 AM »

These senators represent the 6.7 million Americans who work in the energy sector

I thought senators represented states. If you want people representing  sectors, feel free to move to Hong Kong (they have "functionnal constituencies").
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #921 on: March 23, 2021, 10:26:17 AM »

I thought senators represented states. If you want people representing  sectors, feel free to move to Hong Kong (they have "functionnal constituencies").

tbf, the Irish Senate is set up this way as well.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #922 on: March 23, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »

Senators do represent states.  And the "pro-energy" senators do, in fact, represent states where the energy sector is a relatively large part of the local economy (i.e., LA, TX, ND, WY, AK, etc.)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #923 on: March 23, 2021, 11:25:37 AM »

Senators do represent states.  And the "pro-energy" senators do, in fact, represent states where the energy sector is a relatively large part of the local economy (i.e., LA, TX, ND, WY, AK, etc.)
The economy of those states SHOULD and MUST become diversified and less reliant on fossil fuels. The 21st century is here, those states should should join this century.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #924 on: March 23, 2021, 11:51:49 AM »

The economy of those states SHOULD and MUST become diversified and less reliant on fossil fuels. The 21st century is here, those states should should join this century.

Join the 21st century?  Fossil fuels still supply 84 percent of global energy.  Investment in fossil fuel technology and efficiency should take center-stage in our energy policy   
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 83  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies