Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:23:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 103923 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« on: January 26, 2021, 01:09:03 PM »

Looks like the Pubs aren't trying to derail any of these nominations.  Surprised?

A little.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 02:15:37 PM »

I don't think it obviates the point though. The Senators (all of them) are the ones that have to pass the organizing resolution, and it's stupid of them for not doing so. It can also be nucleared through which you can argue might be ok for a one off if it could save lives.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 08:52:08 AM »

Barring some big revelation, the Dems should muscle through Haaland and Tanden if any serious opposition is put up.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 03:14:26 PM »

sometimes I forget people on atlas have lives so this surprised me for some reason LOL

Sometimes I forget that posters don't look like the people they have in their sigs, lol.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »

I'm honestly sick and tired of treating someone who voted with Trump more often than not, voted for 80% of his judges, and already has or plans to cast several deciding votes against the dems in this congress, as a Democrat. We need to kick him out of the caucus.

Sounds like a good way to ensure McConnell can block Covid relief and prevent Breyer from retiring.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 02:22:41 PM »

Well we see now why Mitch didn't let Garland have a hearing. He would have been confirmed easily.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 12:02:43 AM »

I agree they should stick by her. Force the Republicans & Manchin to vote her down.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 03:43:59 PM »

I agree they should stick by her. Force the Republicans & Manchin to vote her down.

Agreed. Has the added effect of giving us a recent ironclad case to point to of Manchin voting against the party line in a meaningful way and makes his persistent disloyalty clearer than ever.

You're both really overestimating the extent to which your typical Democratic-partisan-on-the-street cares about the Office of Management and Budget.

I don't think they care about it at all, but I don't think that obviates either of our points.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 07:52:04 PM »

I think Becerra should have been the priority after Garland.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 02:55:55 PM »

They should confirm many lower level appointments in one vote. I know that's not the rules but, well, it should be.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 05:40:14 PM »

Hawley is going to be the Gillibrand of 2024 at this rate, voting against almost all of Biden's Cabinet picks.

I'm surprised he voted for any, iirc Gillibrand voted against all of Trump's nominees.

She voted for Shulkin.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 09:10:20 PM »

I mean the guy was an astronaut...

If he can get more funding for telescopes I'm good with it.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 02:26:10 PM »

Becerra likely could have been confirmed eventually without Collins, but she is on the moderate side of the party given that she's voting for a lot of the more controversial nominees.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 04:12:13 PM »

Well I see her and Murkowski as moderates as well as Manchin.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 04:21:47 PM »

Manchin also voted for Kavanaugh.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 09:00:51 PM »

I mean the guy was an astronaut...

If he can get more funding for telescopes I'm good with it.

Bill Nelson got voted from office in the midst of dementia rumors and a campaign that did nothing to demonstrate that they were false. Maybe he has what it takes to keep the patronage machine rolling, but that's a best-case scenario. Many of us have higher aspirations for NASA, however unrealistic they have proven.

Well you and I may have different aspirations. I want more telescopes, not more rovers and manned missions.

I don't care about rumors. If he develops dementia he can resign.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 07:34:06 PM »

He should probably appoint somebody somewhere that meets his original pledge when possible and maybe tell her that, but I don't think she should block existing appointments.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 10:56:26 PM »

So Schumer asked for that? Huh
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 11:08:54 PM »

When does a confirmation become official such that the Senate cannot just reverse it?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 02:28:13 PM »

Soldier’s missing pay triggered Army secretary double confirmation snafu

As I suspected. Senator Cramer (R-ND) was unhappy that one of his constituents, deployed overseas to Africa, was not being paid properly.

I understand how he can hold up a nomination all by himself but not reverse it. Still very unclear on that and why there was unanimous consent for the reversal.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »

Soldier’s missing pay triggered Army secretary double confirmation snafu

As I suspected. Senator Cramer (R-ND) was unhappy that one of his constituents, deployed overseas to Africa, was not being paid properly.

I understand how he can hold up a nomination all by himself but not reverse it. Still very unclear on that and why there was unanimous consent for the reversal.

Schumer agreed to the reversal as an accommodation to the Senator, since his issue was one that was resolvable. These are the sort of bipartisan comity things that Atlas simply doesn't understand.

Yeah that's fine. But why not give him what he wants instead of revoke the nomination so he can use it as leverage to get what he wants, and then acquiesce.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 04:03:47 PM »

I still think it's a good point though. We could change the law to allow a lot of positions to be directly appointed by their superiors in the org chart, without need for a Senate confirmation. And even if we don't do that, there is nothing stopping the Senate, other than its own rules, from confirming dozens of nominees at once in a single vote.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 08:42:33 PM »

I still think it's a good point though. We could change the law to allow a lot of positions to be directly appointed by their superiors in the org chart, without need for a Senate confirmation. And even if we don't do that, there is nothing stopping the Senate, other than its own rules, from confirming dozens of nominees at once in a single vote.

There is no way to set that up procedurally except:

1) Unanimous Consent (naturally requires support of every senator)
2) Some sort of mini-nuclear option procedure, which creates precedent that is difficult to dispose of, and which Manchin won't acquiesce to anyways.

I agree that dysfunction is there but the point is that it's ridiculous that we can't fill these spots much more quickly and is unbecoming of us that we don't have a better system in place.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 07:29:42 PM »

Harris has now broken as many tie votes as Cheney did in 8 years.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 07:00:44 PM »

I very much appreciate all the updates but any chance you can briefly list the position when it's not a tweet? I know it's somewhere in the thread before but I don't remember and find myself googling last name + nomination to find out what all these are.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies